• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of PS3 Trophies

DonMigs85

So I heard that there's a "Trophy Unlocker" homebrew that basically lets you get 100% in a game and sync to Sony's servers (after removing CFW I think). Is this in any way detectable or patchable at some point? Has there been a similar exploit on the 360 as well?
If Sony really can't do much about this then trophies will be even more worthless than they already are.
Credit to jercruz for presenting this on another forum.

Useless? Are you serious? They are going to be useless for nerds who use them as their e-penis. For us who use them to record our progress & achievements in games we played, they are as useful as always.

Raide

DonMigs85 said:
So I heard that there's a "Trophy Unlocker" homebrew that basically lets you get 100% in a game and sync to Sony's servers (after removing CFW I think). Is this in any way detectable or patchable at some point? Has there been a similar exploit on the 360 as well?
If Sony really can't do much about this then trophies will be even more worthless than they already are.

People can do it but they usually get banned as soon as they step on to Live. The servers tend to notice that people have loads of points within seconds of each-other and that signals that something is wrong.

Takao

Banned
This is actually why the PSP never got trophies. The platform was too infested for Sony to make it worthwhile.

Withnail

Yeah but the security and integrity of PSN is a worthwhile sacrifice so that we can have a 17th living room device capable of playing MAME. Or something like that.

DonMigs85 said:

You could do this before. You can still do this.

All without homebrew. It's still easy to tell, all of the trophies will have the same timestamp.

And it is still stupid.

Durante

I love Trophies, I use them to track my own progress, as a history of what I've played and to compare to other people on my friends list.

None of these is impacted in any way by people cheating (well, assuming people on my friends list don't, which I do)

iNvid02

whens the last time you waited for someone elses trophies to load and said "wow" because they were level 13. nobody gives a fuck. if i could hide mine i would, i have 5%, 10%, 2%, 35% on a ton of games

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Withnail said:
Yeah but the security and integrity of PSN is a worthwhile sacrifice so that we can have a 17th living room device capable of playing MAME. Or something like that.

Because cheating, including trophy cheating, never existed before the current CFW.

itxaka

Defeatist
People can do it but they usually get banned as soon as they step on to Live. The servers tend to notice that people have loads of points within seconds of each-other and that signals that something is wrong.

Not true as you can use random dates for the achievements or even unlock them one by one on the PC. There is also achievements glitching using profiles which was used like forever

And the ps3 thropy thing was one of the first thing that appeared after the first jailbreak, nothing to do with the now available custom firmware. Cheaters are normally the first to appear

Lagspike_exe said:
Useless? Are you serious?

Iv9eI.gif

If this does become a rampant problem then it certainly does make trophies less attractive to strive for. Honestly, these award systems are made to give players a sense of achievement (think of it as the 'glory' you feel when you win a trophy in real life... though virtually), and this provides many the sole purpose of even wanting to get them. Yes, I guess many do not value anything 'virtual' as something brag worthy (I don't brag about them personally, but it is fun to collect them and try to 100% games I enjoy), but it is just something fun to have in addition with your games. It is truly unfortunate if this system becomes totally irrelevant (or even less so than it currently is) due to it being compromised by cheaters.

Well, I like trophies because they sometimes encourage me to do things in a game I would normally not do, and so I get more value for my money.
I also sometimes compare trophies with my PSN friends, but because they are my friends in PSN I know none of them would be so fucked up and use a hack like this.

So I don't see it as a big deal and I hope Sony sees that it doesn't matter for the people and add trophy support to PSP2.

Hanmik

not that I care about Trophies... I care about my money.. so today (when i get off from work) i will remove my CreditCard from PSN.. fuck this hacking shit.. I have never ever been afraid that my creditcard will be abused via PSN, because I thought it was a secure system. But now..

DonMigs85

Well I'm certainly gonna remain honest since I don't really care to brag about trophies, but if I wanna compare my progress against certain friends I can no longer be 100% sure if they're legit... I wonder if you can adjust the timestamps for each trophy with this homebrew though?

3rdman

You know this reminds me...I saw someone reading a synopsis of a book instead of the actual book! I hate to say it but it seems that the death of books is here too. :( I'll never be able to enjoy something like reading knowing others are taking a short cut...

It gets to an extent where trophy grinding becomes too steep for your level to rise, so ever since I reached level 12 I only consider trophies as a metagame or an extension of the fun I can have with a given title by doing some side gameplay.

There's still a point to them, but I guess those who care about showing everyone else how much time they've been wasting on obtaining pointless virtual acknowledgements just realised of something.

itxaka

Defeatist
Hanmik said:
not that I care about Trophies... I care about my money.. so today (when i get off from work) i will remove my CreditCard from PSN.. fuck this hacking shit.. I have never ever been afraid that my creditcard will be abused via PSN, because I thought it was a secure system. But now..

Yes, because a homebrew program is gonna break the server security of Sony which has nothing to do with the hardware security of consoles. Come on son, don't keep spreading that FUD please.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Hanmik said:

It's just as secure as before the hack. I'm not sure if it helps the discussion when we paint CFW as the AntiChrist and Doombringer who can and will destroy everything.

Hanmik said:

You don't have to worry about anything.

Ploid 3.0

cnizzle06 said:
You jump in this thread to have the first response only to type this? Why bother?

If they go online, I'm sure the the servers will detect it.

It's all a worthy sacrifice for homebrew.

Edit: I almost got my second Platinum. 3 tasks away from it with Bayonetta, shows over now.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lagspike_exe said:
Useless? Are you serious? They are going to be useless for nerds who use them as their e-penis. For us who use them to record our progress & achievements in games we played, they are as useful as always.
Also, some trophies are a good way to let the player approach the game differently. A classic example I like to use is the "kill X enemies in a row with a single punch after softening them with gunfire" in Uncharted (a cover based shooter where you'd hardly do that... especially for many enemies in a row).

Carl said:
Wouldn't they all have the same timestamp? I'm sure the servers would notice that.
Nope, they can have random timestamps and you can apparently unlock single trophies.

Momo

Banned
itxaka said:
Yes, because a homebrew program is gonna break the server security of Sony which has nothing to do with the hardware security of consoles. Come on son, don't keep spreading that FUD please.
Someone could easily add some rather pleasant keylogger or such to a popular homebrew app and distribute it. If he's going to be using homebrew I would fully recommend he remove his CC details.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Whatever happened to trophies marking your own progress? If someone wants to cheat, let them spoil their own fun :p Trophies are, at most, a competition among friends. So if someone cheats, take them off your friends list...

snap0212

I don't think we should talk about the „death“ of Trophies just yet. Yes, there are Homebrew applications available that unlock every single Trophy of a game, but we don't know how Sony will react to that.

The thing is; Trophies have time stamps and I don't think you could change them that easily. If there was someone who magically unlocked all the Trophies of Warhawk in 15 seconds Sony would know that there's something wrong with it. (Sony probably has the same data Microsoft has (they know how long you've played game X, for example). The fact that all Trophies were unlocked in a short amount of time is enough of an indication that the person is not playing by the rules and – obviously – enough of a reason to just ban them (the user and the console) from the PlayStation Network. It's Sony's right to do so and we can all just hope that they'll do it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Takao said:
This is actually why the PSP never got trophies. The platform was too infested for Sony to make it worthwhile.
Since a tool of this sort was inevitable and they have to deal with it from now, maybe that'll encourage them even more to include trophies in the PSP2 instead of hiding behind the "rampant cheating" excuse.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
gofreak said:
Whatever happened to trophies marking your own progress? If someone wants to cheat, let them spoil their own fun :p Trophies are, at most, a competition among friends. So if someone cheats, take them off your friends list...
If it was more like leader boards with a designated place to view the top players, I'll understand those fears more. Wait, is there such a place for the PS3?

Edit: dp, sorry.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Momo said:
Someone could easily add some rather pleasant keylogger or such to a popular homebrew app and distribute it. If he's going to be using homebrew I would fully recommend he remove his CC details.

As easy as hiding one in any app that runs on your computer? Not carelessly using cc info anywhere would be a better advice.

Tntnnbltn

snap0212 said:
The thing is; Trophies have time stamps and I don't think you could change them that easily. If there was someone who magically unlocked all the Trophies of Warhawk in 15 seconds Sony would know that there's something wrong with it.
From what I've read previously on GAF, the programs give random timestamps for the trophies.

Gravijah

Lagspike_exe said:

Yeah, I get achievements for my own personal satisfaction and so friends can check out games I have played before. I don't really give a shit about someone who hacks them in.

Withnail

Jinfash said:
If it was more like leader boards with a designated place to view the top players, I'll understand those fears more. Wait, is there such a place for the PS3?

Several websites do this, and I think Sony's own website allows you to rank your friends list by trophies earned.

SmokyDave

Anybody that worries that their score will be eclipsed by cheaters is a goon. Just enjoy accomplishing the tasks you enjoy and view the written record as a bonus. The oxygen-thieves that feel the need to hack their gamerscore or trophies should be rounded up and sterilised.

Serious business.

duckroll

I'm sure this will make trophies useless to those who are obsessed with gamerscore, PSN levels, and so on. But I think that's only one function of achievements and trophies, and not a function which I care at all about. I love the way Steam does achievements for example, where there is no total score or number value to unlocking an achievement. There is no limitation to how many achievements a game can have because there is no fixed value in any specific achievement. Instead it is an optional challenge that the player can tackle if it sounds interesting, or something that can be ignored completely. It's also a nice way to track progress in a game between friends. People can cheat, it doesn't bother me as long as I don't play with them or against them. I'm sure lots of people cheat in L4D2 too, but that has zero impact on how much I enjoy the game.

Hanmik

kamorra said:
It's just as secure as before the hack. I'm not sure if it helps the discussion when we paint CFW as the AntiChrist and Doombringer who can and will destroy everything.

sorry never intended to paint some doom picture of CFW.. I was just worried (but you guys tell me not to worry, so I won´t anymore), because I thought Trophies are stored on some Sony Server, just like my PSN information.. just thought it would be just as easy to acces that server.. But off course I was mistaken..

Sorry for the Doom picture I painted.. I don´t care about CFW on my PS3, allthough I would LOVE to replay all my SCUMM games on my PS3 (I know this is possible now, but not going to try it)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
They're already dead to me. I play games only so long as I'm having fun and most PS3 games have trophy objectives that are grindy/obsessive/not fun whatsoever (to me). Hopefully people who hack them will be banned though, so it's fair to the people who earned them and care about their level. I guess.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jinfash said:

I don't think there is. It's not like it's some big global 'serious' contest or anything. People who cheat trophies are just a) spoiling it for themselves and at most b) spoiling it for friends if they are in some casual competition with one another (which can easily be rectified by said friends). If anyone really takes it that seriously they can always punt their 'friend' off their friends list.

Paracelsus

vazel said:
As if everyone using guides to get trophies and achievements didn't make them useless enough.

Ehm...no. Most games really ask you to buy a guide or else you won't be able to get all trophies. You could spend two thousands hours in SO4 but without the guide you won't get the platinum trophy.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've never really cared about gamerscore or the "level" you get in Trophies, so this doesn't affect me in any way. I can see people who care about that stuff annoyed by this, though, since they won't be acquiring them in a legitimate way.

Top Bottom