• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of PS3 Trophies

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Hanmik said:
sorry never intended to paint some doom picture of CFW.. I was just worried (but you guys tell me not to worry, so I won´t anymore), because I thought Trophies are stored on some Sony Server, just like my PSN information.. just thought it would be just as easy to acces that server.. But off course I was mistaken..

Sorry for the Doom picture I painted.. I don´t care about CFW on my PS3, allthough I would LOVE to replay all my SCUMM games on my PS3 (I know this is possible now, but not going to try it)

umm... sorry if my post was to harsh. Your CC info is as safe as before. Just keep in mind that it will never be 100% safe anywhere on the net.

Haunted

DonMigs85 said:
So I heard that there's a "Trophy Unlocker" homebrew that basically lets you get 100% in a game and sync to Sony's servers (after removing CFW I think). Is this in any way detectable or patchable at some point? Has there been a similar exploit on the 360 as well?
If Sony really can't do much about this then trophies will be even more worthless than they already are.
Credit to jercruz for presenting this on another forum.
does not compute

vazel

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Ehm...no. Most games really ask you to buy a guide or else you won't be able to get all trophies. You could spend two thousands hours in SO4 but without the guide you won't get the platinum trophy.
Who buys guides? I meant sites like ps3trophies.org, they even have youtube videos to show you how to easily get some of the trophies.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
I'm sure this will make trophies useless to those who are obsessed with gamerscore, PSN levels, and so on. But I think that's only one function of achievements and trophies, and not a function which I care at all about. I love the way Steam does achievements for example, where there is no total score or number value to unlocking an achievement. There is no limitation to how many achievements a game can have because there is no fixed value in any specific achievement. Instead it is an optional challenge that the player can tackle if it sounds interesting, or something that can be ignored completely. It's also a nice way to track progress in a game between friends. People can cheat, it doesn't bother me as long as I don't play with them or against them. I'm sure lots of people cheat in L4D2 too, but that has zero impact on how much I enjoy the game.
Yep, yep. I joined steam for the first time when I bought Civ5 and was impressed by their achievement system. It really focuses on the "personal challenges" aspect and greatly reduces the e-peen aspect. I personally think it is now perfectly balanced.

Im very worried what these hacks are going to bring and if sony can do anything about them. On live you fuck about with your gamerscore and it will lead to getting banned or your score reset. I hope sony can do something along these lines.

DonMigs85

Haunted said:
does not compute
They can be a fun trinket to collect and all, but not really terribly worthwhile at the end of the day. We got along fine w/o them in previous gens.
I always thought it would be cool, though, if Sony gave you a free PSN game for every level you gained past 9.

StuKen

I don't care about trophies. It's a feature I never used so as far as I'm concerned Sony can take them all away. It wont bother me in the slightest.

See what I did there? All the shills and corporate apologists take heed.

Momo

Banned
kamorra said:
As easy as hiding one in any app that runs on your computer? Not carelessly using cc info anywhere would be a better advice.
Pretty much.

If I was that way inclined, it would be a bit more appealing for me as a ne'er do well to get key-loggers onto people's ps3's as the activities are much more focused than a regular old everyday PC, less meaty logs for me to trawl though.

Not trying to be doom and gloom on CFW, just saying users should be careful as not everyone is geohot or such, some will try and con you.

I use prepaid cards for everything these days, but this is due to my annoying online shopping addiction :I

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh man, just remembered that I know someone on PSN that legitimately earned like 40 platinum trophies. Ouch

I've seen someone with like 113 in their sig. Must have an obscene amount of time on their hands or did something like this.

Vasili2K38

Lagspike_exe said:
Useless? Are you serious? They are going to be useless for nerds who use them as their e-penis. For us who use them to record our progress & achievements in games we played, they are as useful as always.

Exact my thoughts. I use the trophies as a measure of progress in a game, as a way to play it different (for example like the Uncharted one mentioned before) and to compare with friends and chat with them about. If in the internets (in this case, PSN) there're a few nerds messing around with the trophies, good for them, only I hope Sony bans them :D

Ploid 3.0

kamorra said:

Yep in a while, he'll just be accused of hax.

"Omg he kill me so much he must be hacking."

"Dude look at his trophies, he gotta be on custom"

"Kick him, man I'm so glad I could confirm my suspicion on his hacking"

hamchan

As useless as some of you think trophies are a lot of people actually like the whole achievement and trophy system, it's a big shame if the whole thing gets ruined by cheaters. I just hope everyone who uses this gets banned.

Garcia

Flunkie said:
popcorn.gif

That does suck, though. Oh well, who cares?

This.

Who. Cares. ?
:

As long as they don't mess up with your trophie list then what do you care if there's people who cheat to get 100% of them? Seriously, some ppl need to grow up.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yep in a while, he'll just be accused of hax.

"Omg he kill me so much he must be hacking."

"Dude look at his trophies, he gotta be on custom"

"Kick him, man I'm so glad I could confirm my suspicion on his hacking"

So he will be kicked by guys who are paranoid? That shouldn't hurt too much.

DonMigs85 said:
If Sony really can't do much about this then trophies will be even more worthless than they already are.

They are not worthless... they are a challenge to achieve for yourself, that's what they are for me and that's why I'm having so much fun with them... not to show them off to others, they are tolls to increase the games I love play value .

jorma

is now taking requests
i love trophies, but i'm not going to use this exploit so it does not affect me in any way.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It was inevitable, oh wells, I'm still trying to shoot for 100 platinums

GraveRobberX.png

I just like getting them, and it enhances me to replay, try a new way to play the game

It will be sad, that hard platinums like Warhawk, WipeOut HD, and White Knight Chronicles (what's with the W starting games lol) will lose their platinum status

Those are time killing/skill based games which take an eternity to achieve

Only positive I see for these trophies cheats is those games with online trophies, either community = dead (I mean completely dead) or servers get pulled off, Hi EA!

DonMigs85

The Praiseworthy said:
They are not worthless... they are a challenge to achieve for yourself, that's what they are for me and that's why I'm having so much fun with them... not to show them off to others, they are tolls to increase the games I love play value .
Well anyone who can plat Wipeout HD certainly deserves mucho respect.

Stink

Metalmurphy said:
Easily detectable by looking at the unlock time stamp.

According to my profile, I unlocked about 23 trophies at the same time the other day. Because my PS3 wasn't connected to the PSN when I got them.

Just the death of the aspect that next to no-one cares about anyway.

If you can trust your friends, then you'll know they aren't hacking their trophies (and you'll be able to tell because of the order of the trophies in some games anyway). As for some random online with a massive trophy list... who gives a shit?

Trophies / achievements are fine for a bit of a personal challenge, or maybe a competition between friends, but they're worthless for anything else.

DonMigs85

Stink said:
According to my profile, I unlocked about 23 trophies at the same time the other day. Because my PS3 wasn't connected to the PSN when I got them.
but each trophy should still have a specific time and date for when you first got it.

Trevelyon

So how easy would it be to modify timestamps on trophies, is there an option in the homebrew app?

Otherwise it would be dead easy to spot someone who ran this and probably easier for Sony to nuke their account, right?

DonMigs85

Psychotext said:

If you can trust your friends, then you'll know they aren't hacking their trophies (and you'll be able to tell because of the order of the trophies in some games anyway). As for some random online with a massive trophy list... who gives a shit?

Trophies / achievements are fine for a bit of a personal challenge, or maybe a competition between friends, but they're worthless for anything else.
Ah, good point. The randomly-assigned dates probably don't take this into consideration.

Indeed

Psychotext said:

Thousands of ppl posting on various trophyguide/boosting sites disagree with you.

I just hope Sony can find something to deal with this. While it isnt as bad as someone cheating online, it certinaly sucks for the people who go for these platinums for online competition.

If some (most) of GAF thinks thats stupid. Well, haters gonna hate.

badmouth the trophy system all you want. if that's true then trophies will be degraded to an offline, more private scoring system as with previous generations. it'll be worthless as a community feature because you won't have proof of earning it yourself anymore.

and that's not good, no matter how much you care about these systems.

GraveRobberX said:

GraveRobberX.png

I just like getting them, and it enhances me to replay, try a new way to play the game

It will be sad, that hard platinums like Warhawk, WipeOut HD, and White Knight Chronicles (what's with the W starting games lol) will lose their platinum status

Only positive I see for these trophies cheats is those games with online trophies, either community = dead (I mean completely dead) or servers get pulled off, Hi EA!
holy shit.

Indeed said:
Thousands of ppl posting on various trophyguide/boosting sites disagree with you.
Ok, how about "Just the death of the aspect that hardly anyone aside from a few thousand OCD riddled nutjobs cares about".

Still nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Haunted

GraveRobberX said:
don't see how this news will change that

Indeed said:
Good thing no one here gives a shit about those stupid fucks who actually care about their e-penis. We will continue to laugh at those sad people.

Durante

Augemitbutter said:
badmouth the trophy system all you want. if that's true then trophies will be degraded to an offline, more private scoring system as with previous generations. it'll be worthless as a community feature because you won't have proof of earning it yourself anymore.
I disagree. As long as you trust the people on your friends list it's still a community feature.

Also, being able to look up your own trophies independent of the game already makes it much more valuable than last-gen systems.

Actually, by your definition, Steam achievements are worthless.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The OP asks "does this exist on 360?" and the answer is yes/no. There are a variety of ways used to cheat achievements, they're used by many people, and even people who have broken into the top 10 worldwide have been cheaters.

There are two protections against it on 360:
- Peer reviewable unlock times means you're going to get ratted out and have your gamerscore reset
- Modded 360s get banned so cheating has to be on a per-game basis using hacked game save sharing or other cheats of the same nature. It's impossible to one-button pop unlock all the achievements in a game.

drkOne

Back when I bought a 360 in 2006 there were already forums dedicated to Achievement exploiting and people setting up online for achievement farming while playing between them... So even if you tried to make a point about "they're not legit anymore", well, they never were.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
GraveRobberX said:

GraveRobberX.png

There was a time when that PSN card would impress people, but not any more I guess.

I think the question that every trophy (excuse my french) whore should ask himself is "Am I going to collect trophies of every game I play for the sake of collecting or am I going to limit that to games I really enjoy and wish to %100?"

-Amon-

Psychotext said:
Ok, how about "Just the death of the aspect that hardly anyone aside from a few thousand OCD riddled nutjobs cares about".

As in so many other threads, just because this in not in your interests, then automatically:

A: The majority is with you on this ( how can someone only think about that ? )

B: The ones not on your side are nutjobs, few, and nobody cares about them.

Good job !

Indeed

Psychotext said:

If you say so man, more power to you. As I said, there will always ppl who bash them everywhere there go, and ppl who have fun with them, either by just enjoying the challenge in getting them or boosting their epeen. Too bad for the latter I guess.

Luckily for me, hackers cant take away my enjoyment of getting them.
Just have to be prepared to get some "LOL HACKER!!!" messages now and then.

Trevelyon

Haunted said:
Good thing no one here gives a shit about those stupid fucks who actually care about their e-penis. We will continue to laugh at those sad people.

Thanks for speaking on my behalf, ass.

I got Indeed on my list and that dude's slayed GTAIV/Wipeout HD/Demon's Souls/Red Faction among others. He has my fucking respect, that's for sure.

angelfly

If people what to cheat to unlock trophies I say let'em. If achievement/trophies extend the game as most people say then it does matter what someone else did for theirs. Since regardless you're getting you're enjoyment from unlocking them. Otherwise it's just senseless anger because someones e-peen was in your mind unfairly enlarged.

GraveRobberX

Jinfash said:
There was a time when that PSN card would impress people, but not any more I guess.

I think the question that every trophy (excuse my french) whore should ask himself is "Am I going to collect trophies of every game I play for the sake of collecting or am I going to limit that to games I really enjoy and wish to %100?"

Yeah, I was on the latter, but the OCD in me just wanted to see that shiny platinum in my repertoire

I do have some games that aren't considered games, and where gotten to just get trophies

commissar

Add me to the "trophies/achievements are neat little challenges but I don't care about gamerscore/card" camp.
This doesn't affect me at all.

It would be very obvious looking at the time stamp when the trophy unlocks. 40 trophies all unlocking at the same time. They'll get banned once they sync with the servers and cheating for trophies or achievements is pathetic.

GraveRobberX

zerokoolpsx said:
It would be very obvious looking at the time stamp when the trophy unlocks. 40 trophies all unlocking at the same time. They'll get banned once they sync with the servers and cheating for trophies or achievements is pathetic.

Time stamps can be adjusted with Trophy Unlocker >_<

Top Bottom