• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of PS3 Trophies

Durante said:
I disagree. As long as you trust the people on your friends list it's still a community feature.

Also, being able to look up your own trophies independent of the game already makes it much more valuable than last-gen systems.

Actually, by your definition, Steam achievements are worthless.

yes, but trust and proof are different topics. trophies offer proof, similar to high score tables in the arcades where you can enter your name, just more personal.

it is more valuable for sure, but the point is that these hacks took away another integral feature.

i avoid steam, so i don't know how that one works.

There are many cheateres already anyway.

That guy Hakoom you all know? shares his account with at least 2 other guys. There's no fairness in that. (Which is also why he isnt listed in almost all trophy leaderboards)

But regardless as a honest casual trophy gamer its quite irritating to know that it might get worse then it already is.

I hope Sony beings a major crackdown on cheaters at some point.

-Amon- said:
As in so many other threads, just because this in not in your interests, then automatically:

A: The majority is with you on this ( how can someone only think about that ? )

B: The ones not on your side are nutjobs, few, and nobody cares about them.

Good job !

Thanks for saving me typing time, exactly what I was goig to say.

snap0212

Haunted said:
Good thing no one here gives a shit about those stupid fucks who actually care about their e-penis. We will continue to laugh at those sad people.
Are you stupid? You say "no one here gives a shit" after even quoting someone who actually does give a shit?

Rivers

Banned
Good I hope they do hack the trophies system. Never was very fond of it and it is the main reason why most games do not let you back up your saves, even though it is tied to your psn handle.

Stink

Trophies and achievements seem to be a measure of time available rather than ability to me.

Next time they could just have a 'Total time played' clock, which would be completely pointless to hack.

xbhaskarx

vazel said:
As if everyone using guides to get trophies and achievements didn't make them useless enough.
Iv9eI.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jinfash said:
There was a time when that PSN card would impress people, but not any more I guess.

I think the question that every trophy (excuse my french) whore should ask himself is "Am I going to collect trophies of every game I play for the sake of collecting or am I going to limit that to games I really enjoy and wish to %100?"
Really? The fuck?

I've never been impressed with anyone who has a ridiculous gamerscore, like say 100 000+.

Trevelyon

GraveRobberX said:
Time stamps can be adjusted with Trophy Unlocker >_<

Even so, I would think the higher tier of the trophy hunting community could spot a hacker from a mile away with the cumulative leader boards and such. All of sudden you have 300 people surpassing Hakoom overnight.

Seems like it could be a real slippery slope for people who wanna do this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
For what is worth, debug PS3 has a Trophy unlock function but trophies unlocked this way don't show up on PSN after sync.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You know what can help this is if Sony had an official leaderboard website

You can then tell by how many gains/losses in trophies a person is earning

So say Player X has 300 trophies, ranked 50, gains 10 trophies in day, now ranked 48, there will be a green arrow with a +2 gain

Player Y gains 350 trophies, ranked 44, gained 320 trophies in a day (red flag), was ranked 98, now 44, so the green arrow with a sign +54 gain, that alone would send up red flags

Edit: I don't get some of you, we are gamers, we have different play styles. Some enjoy a certain genre more than the others. Some are casual, some core, some hardcore. I don't get why some of you are so judgmental and go around, who the f cares?, I don't give a shit. Good for you, but I enjoy it, don't piss on my parade just because it doesn't adhere to your masterful way of playing games
I know I'm going to get the This is NeoGAF dude!, but Jesus, if it doesn't concern you and you think trophies = nothing why chime in with the I could care less (that means you do care) even though you should be saying I couldn't care less

Hyperbole I think. All my trophies are legit. All my friends trophies are legit. I still enjoy earning trophies. Trophies are not ruined.

Gowans

The shitty thing is Sony planned to do their rewards program right by using Trophy tracking right?

if so kiss bye to that.

Stink said:
According to my profile, I unlocked about 23 trophies at the same time the other day. Because my PS3 wasn't connected to the PSN when I got them.

It doesn't work like that. When it synchs, it sends the real unlock time for each trophy.

GraveRobberX said:

Well... fuck...

TTP said:
For what is worth, debug PS3 has a Trophy unlock function but trophies unlocked this way don't show up on PSN after sync.

Would be nice if hack detected trophies wouldnt show up on PSN profiles at all.

Jinfash said:
There was a time when that PSN card would impress people, but not any more I guess.

I think the question that every trophy (excuse my french) whore should ask himself is "Am I going to collect trophies of every game I play for the sake of collecting or am I going to limit that to games I really enjoy and wish to %100?"

I used to be the later. Gathering trophies just to be on top. Now I just gather trophies casually. Im glad I have a broad taste in games so I switch inbetween all the time... and get the platinum whenever I feel like it.

I used to have so much stress about beating other peoples scores. :p

Trevelyon

GraveRobberX said:
Player Y gains 350 trophies, ranked 44, gained 320 trophies in a day (red flag), was ranked 98, now 44, so the green arrow with a sign +54 gain, that alone would send up red flags

Well, again in the meantime the legit trophy community could always out these people to Sony, yes they gon tattle. Hell, I say go nuts, love to see these dummies hang themselves over some ridiculous 400 trophy overnight bump.

Trevelyon

get2sammyb said:
Hyperbole I think. All my trophies are legit. All my friends trophies are legit. I still enjoy earning trophies. Trophies are not ruined.

Right, but y'know... who cares about trophies anyways... herpy derpy do.

No_Style

Durante said:
I love Trophies, I use them to track my own progress, as a history of what I've played and to compare to other people on my friends list.

None of these is impacted in any way by people cheating (well, assuming people on my friends list don't, which I do)

Pretty much the same deal with me. It's just method of comparing myself with people on my friends list. If people cheat to unlock them all, I'll simply stop comparing with them.

Trevelyon said:
Right, but y'know... who cares about trophies anyways... herpy derpy do.

Lots of people. I think it's unfair to insinuate that "no one cares" just because you don't. The point is, I don't really think a bunch of hacking cheaters really takes away from my personal enjoyment of the system, so I'm not too bothered.

I do hope that anyone using these system exploits to cheat (be it trophies, online multiplayer, etc) gets banned from the PSN though. If you want to run SNES games, so be it, I don't care. But if you're ruining the community, it's a bit disappointing.

I'm sure Sony's doing everything they can.

MoxManiac

GraveRobberX said:

That's even more sad and pathetic, that not only would someone hack their trophies, but go to the trouble to make them look legit by actually spending the time spacing out the timestamps.

GraveRobberX said:
You know what can help this is if Sony had an official leaderboard website

You can then tell by how many gains/losses in trophies a person is earning

So say Player X has 300 trophies, ranked 50, gains 10 trophies in day, now ranked 48, there will be a green arrow with a +2 gain

Edit: I don't get some of you, we are gamers, we have different play styles. Some enjoy a certain genre more than the others. Some are casual, some core, some hardcore. I don't get why some of you are so judgmental and go around, who the f cares?, I don't give a shit. Good for you, but I enjoy it, don't piss on my parade just because it doesn't adhere to your masterful way of playing games
I know I'm going to get the This is NeoGAF dude!, but Jesus, if it doesn't concern you and you think trophies = nothing why chime in with the I could care less (that means you do care) even though you should be saying I couldn't care less

Ps3trophies.com is as official as it gets I'd say. The leaderboards are strictly for legit players from what I can tell.

Indeed said:
Its really really sad how many people in this thread actively dismiss and bash a hobby of other gaffers.

Yup, seems that some people have an innate hatred for this system and thus hate everyone who likes it, which is pretty dissapointing, I think we should all go collect stamps instead, everyone likes stamps on GAF right?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
MoxManiac said:
That's even more sad and pathetic, that not only would someone hack their trophies, but go to the trouble to make them look legit by actually spending the time spacing out the timestamps.
An attempt to avoid being banned, I can understand that.

Trevelyon

get2sammyb said:
Lots of people. I think it's unfair to insinuate that "no one cares" just because you don't.

Don't get it twisted, I'm with you, I'm very much of the same mindset as you on trophies.

Just goofing on the easily dismissive set here.

kamorra said:
Because cheating, including trophy cheating, never existed before the current CFW.

Especially with a hack that was made for the Dongle style of jailbreak months ago. And isn't very good to boot (it gives a random timstamp, but it wasn't refined enough to avoid timestamps that lay in the future, I.E. 2099).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You know trophies helped me with Bayonetta

I was just gonna play it on easy, beat it get some trophies, and be done with it

Then I saw, lets see how normal/hard goes, got into a groove learned new tricks, refined my skills, then I was like fuck it, lets do this Infinite climax (hardest difficulty)

Got a little better, and then just burned through the challenges and got the platinum. I was hesitant, but the trophies were so balanced, and the tier skill of earning trophies with the difficulties, and you refining and getting better made you a better player/gamer.

Dead Space gave me an incentive of beating the whole game with just the Plasma Cutter (starting gun, nothing else), a different way to play the game, and it was fun

ElFly

DonMigs85 said:
So I heard that there's a "Trophy Unlocker" homebrew that basically lets you get 100% in a game and sync to Sony's servers (after removing CFW I think). Is this in any way detectable or patchable at some point? Has there been a similar exploit on the 360 as well?
If Sony really can't do much about this then trophies will be even more worthless than they already are.
Credit to jercruz for presenting this on another forum.

I don't see how this makes trophies worthless. They will still appear in that ugly box in the corner of your tv when get the "Walk 500 miles" trophy.

What part is worthless here?

Leshita said:
If this does become a rampant problem then it certainly does make trophies less attractive to strive for. Honestly, these award systems are made to give players a sense of achievement (think of it as the 'glory' you feel when you win a trophy in real life... though virtually), and this provides many the sole purpose of even wanting to get them. Yes, I guess many do not value anything 'virtual' as something brag worthy (I don't brag about them personally, but it is fun to collect them and try to 100% games I enjoy), but it is just something fun to have in addition with your games. It is truly unfortunate if this system becomes totally irrelevant (or even less so than it currently is) due to it being compromised by cheaters.

Then you will be happy that this program will not effect your ability to collect and enjoy your trophies. :)

Garcia

GraveRobberX said:

I'm pretty sure Sony will come up with a good alternative to deal with the cheating issues that concern most of you trophie collectors. I understand where you're coming from calling out all of us who don't empathize with the trophie loving. Yes, we're all gamers, and we all have different lifestyles, believe me I know what you mean. I agree that there should be more understanding and less judgment coming from both sides, buf just remember that cheaters have been around for a long time already, and even if this represents an immediate issue there will always be a way to ensure you guys get a legitimate, cheat-free experience. That's entirely up to Sony now.

Trevelyon

LM4sure said:
Now this is some fine homebrew here! Now I can 100% many of the games I wasn't able to before!

Would be kind of nice to stick it to those bullshit plats like Lost Planet 2.

But hey, I'm on the level.

GraveRobberX said:
Dead Space gave me an incentive of beating the whole game with just the Plasma Cutter (starting gun, nothing else), a different way to play the game, and it was fun

I really don't care to much about Trophies/Achievements but I will take a look at them and see if there is any "fun/alternate way" of doing something. If it interested me I'll try to get it (like the DS plasma cutter one) otherwise I wont.

eso76

Hanmik said:
not that I care about Trophies... I care about my money.. so today (when i get off from work) i will remove my CreditCard from PSN.. fuck this hacking shit.. I have never ever been afraid that my creditcard will be abused via PSN, because I thought it was a secure system. But now..

that's a good point, actually.
going to do that as well

ChryZ

I don't care if some random fuck thinks that he's the shit because of his leet cheating skills.

I know my peers and trophies are still useful to see their progress in games. I usually only care about trophies if they present an interesting way to prolong my enjoyment of a game that I love.

So the recent exploits don't bother nor affect me at all.

Trevelyon

Thinking of nuking my gf's Visa off PSN, since she's ultra squirmy about that stuff already.

darkwing said:
this also means the death of Playstation Rewards too

I'm cool, would've probably been for North American accounts only(?)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
iNvidious01 said:
whens the last time you waited for someone elses trophies to load and said "wow" because they were level 13. nobody gives a fuck. if i could hide mine i would, i have 5%, 10%, 2%, 35% on a ton of games
I actually DO use them with some of my close friends, though. It gives us incentive to keep playing and results in some friendly competitions that I may not have had otherwise. It's good fun.

Hanmik said:
sorry never intended to paint some doom picture of CFW.. I was just worried (but you guys tell me not to worry, so I won´t anymore), because I thought Trophies are stored on some Sony Server, just like my PSN information.. just thought it would be just as easy to acces that server.. But off course I was mistaken..

Sorry for the Doom picture I painted.. I don´t care about CFW on my PS3, allthough I would LOVE to replay all my SCUMM games on my PS3 (I know this is possible now, but not going to try it)

Sony's servers are just as secure as they've ever been bro.

Actually, now that I think about it, does this really even need it's own thread? We already have a thread about CFW and homebrew programs that run on it (such as this is) and there are easily a dozen people watching that thread more capable to answer the OPs question than your average affer.

DonMigs85

Do you need to roll back to official FW to sync these trophies? I would think that if so, then Sony can check how many times firmware was flashed to the system and compare that to trophy sync times.

ElFly

Maybe someone can figure out how to impersonate another PS3.

And then you'd be able to upload 100% trophies into your friends' accounts.

That would be funny and trophy ruining.

Ploid 3.0

I'll stop using my credit card to buy off of psn too. Man if people can now steal CC and other info with these hacks that's insane. What can I game on now? PC, ok now bring out PS4 and lock that crap down. 0 tolerance sony, do what you gotta do.

Indeed

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'll stop using my credit card to buy off of psn too. Man if people can now steal CC and other info with these hacks that's insane. What can I game on now? PC, ok now bring out PS4 and lock that crap down. 0 tolerance sony, do what you gotta do.

I dont know if I missed something but why would someone running homebrew be able to get your CC information?

Top Bottom