• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of PS3 Trophies

Momo

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Do you need to roll back to official FW to sync these trophies? I would think that if so, then Sony can check how many times firmware was flashed to the system and compare that to trophy sync times.
You can sync from custom firmware currently I think.

lljride

GraveRobberX said:
You know trophies helped me with Bayonetta

I was just gonna play it on easy, beat it get some trophies, and be done with it

Then I saw, lets see how normal/hard goes, got into a groove learned new tricks, refined my skills, then I was like fuck it, lets do this Infinite climax (hardest difficulty)

Got a little better, and then just burned through the challenges and got the platinum. I was hesitant, but the trophies were so balanced, and the tier skill of earning trophies with the difficulties, and you refining and getting better made you a better player/gamer.

Dead Space gave me an incentive of beating the whole game with just the Plasma Cutter (starting gun, nothing else), a different way to play the game, and it was fun

That's always been the way I feel about trophies too. I 100%'d games like Demon's Souls, RE5 (well, single player platinum anyway) and InFamous, games that I probably wouldn't have played on higher difficulties or multiple playthroughs if trophies weren't involved. Bayonetta too, but I'm not nearly good enough to play on Hard or higher.

All that said though I also agree with Durante in that for me it's more a way to compare progress with people on my friends list. Of course a lot of that is due to the fact that I'm only trophy Level 12, and I just don't have enough time to put into my trophy level to make any significant progress anymore. I'll still try to get as many trophies as possible in individual games, but there's really no point in me caring about my level anymore.

Trevelyon

skid.gif

It's henny penny central. Nothing is safe. Kaz save me.

Indeed said:
I dont know if I missed something but why would someone running homebrew be able to get your CC information?

All you missed are a couple of FUD spreaders forking out the fertilizer. In other words, nothing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hacking enhancing our lives again eh lol

Seriously, who cares. We've had this discussion before where some have like lvl 37 or something and it looked finicky. Can't remember the thread though.

Ploid 3.0

Indeed said:
I dont know if I missed something but why would someone running homebrew be able to get your CC information?

I suppose some hacker stuff. I saw people mentioning it above and I know little about computers (game on console). Also in the other threads they mentioned that malware could be possible, who knows what else is possible. Oh also one guy said he could probably do a keylogger and wouldn't have to work too hard to figure out what is card data vs normal key entry since it's a console.

Momo

Banned
Indeed said:
People can stick whatever code they want into homebrew. If you choose to go the homebrew route It's for the best you either only get packages from absolutely trustworthy sources or just remove any sensitive info. (this includes your browser cache/stored passwords and future browser activity)

Just be careful you know?

Ploid 3.0 said:
I suppose some hacker stuff. I saw people mentioning it above and I know little about computers (game on console). Also in the other threads they mentioned that malware could be possible, who knows what else is possible. Oh also one guy said he could probably do a keylogger and wouldn't have to work too hard to figure out what is card data vs normal key entry since it's a console.
Hey I wouldnt actually make a keylogger, I work for a living =P

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ploid 3.0 said:
I'll stop using my credit card to buy off of psn too. Man if people can now steal CC and other info with these hacks that's insane. What can I game on now? PC, ok now bring out PS4 and lock that crap down. 0 tolerance sony, do what you gotta do.
A very scary and legitimate point. These little things that people could potentially do are not good things that come along with this hacking element. Think if someone knows or can get you viruses on the browser now? Or have some kind of specialized hacks (now that the system has been compromised) to get your CC info. Scary.

Trophies really aren't useless since the Playstation Rewards Program offers PSN items for reaching levels.

But hopefully Sony can find a way to control this homebrew/CFW shit.

From what I understand, I don't think credit card information is going to be hacked. Surely that belongs through several more layers of Sony's server security etc.

I think there's a bit too much hyperbole around these PlayStation 3 hacks. Sure it's not good news, but a weeks worth of statements saying "WE CAN DO ANYTHING WITH PLAYSTATION 3" seem to have got people really paranoid. I'm yet to encounter any instances of online cheating, trophy hacking, or anything negative. PlayStation 3 software is topping retailer pre-order lists, etc. I doubt people are actively pirating games yet.

It's early days I know, but I think there's a paranoia that everything's ruined when, in reality, it's really not (and probably won't be for a long time).

If you're not into the homebrew/hacking scene, quit worrying and carry on like normal. I'm convinced Sony will release a firmware or something at some point that will set hackers progress right back to square one. Maybe the system is compromised, but I refuse to believe Sony can't make it as difficult as possible.

The PS3's gonna be fine. Trophies included. :)

uh, yeah, hackers stealing credit card info is plausible, but not any more so than on PC, so yeah that's FUD.

you wouldn't download an unknown program from a scene site on PC would you? i hope you wouldn't anyway. stick to trusted programs from known sources on PS3 just as you would on PC. take sensible precautions... lets not go completely mad here.

the PS3 can now run any software it wants, just like a PC. so that includes malware yes, but your PC doesn't set on fire every time you go online, so i wouldn't expect your PS3 to.

Momo

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Surely whenever you sync it includes some info on your current firmware? I wonder if Sony can detect that somehow.
Yeah they can start by reading this as a quick check.
/dev_hdd0/vsh/pushlist/game.dat
/dev_hdd0/vsh/pushlist/patch.dat
/dev_hdd0/home/<user #>/etc/boot_history.dat

Pretty sure they will develop new ways of detecting these kinds of activities as well.

Haunted

plagiarize said:
uh, yeah, hackers stealing credit card info is plausible, but not any more so than on PC, so yeah that's FUD.

you wouldn't download an unknown program from a scene site on PC would you? i hope you wouldn't anyway. stick to trusted programs from known sources on PS3 just as you would on PC. take sensible precautions... lets not go completely mad here.

the PS3 can now run any software it wants, just like a PC. so that includes malware yes, but your PC doesn't set on fire every time you go online, so i wouldn't expect your PS3 to.
Are you saying this_is_not_a_virus.exe from my friends over at freeccinfo.cn isn't trustworthy?

vazel

Banned
gutter_trash said:
uh; is that any different than the magazine walkthroughs from the 90s?
I never used those magazine guides. :) But I know my stance on guides can be too rigid at times. Only time I ever used a guide was for Mario 64 and even my own mom teased me in what's the point of playing a videogame with a guide. Trophy/achievement guides are cheap, they walk you through everything showing you the best places in the game to get trophies instead of figuring it out yourself. And if you can't figure something out without a guide well then who said you have to 100% everything?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
It's a little sad that some guys feel the need to make up things just to have a point to be against homebrew. I agree when it comes to piracy but the fearmongering about CC infos is ridiculous.
It's ok if you don't know how the security between you and Sonys servers, where you CCinfo is stored, works but I can tell you that simply "injecting a keylogger in a homebrew app" wont work.

RustyO

Would potentially use it... my 2x 97% for The Last Guy (PSN & BR) mock me.

They're both missing the "Navigator" trophy despite multiple attempts to get it via perfect three star, all vips, super clear runs throughout the game without dying. I think it's just glitched.

Momo

Banned
kamorra said:
It's a little sad that some guys feel the need to make up things just to have a point to be against homebrew. I agree when it comes to piracy but the fearmongering about CC infos is ridiculous.
It's ok if you don't know how the security between you and Sonys servers, where you CCinfo is stored, works but I can tell you that simply "injecting a keylogger in a homebrew app" wont work.
Please. Why would I need to read any of the traffic between your console and sony's servers? You don't need to break any and every kind of encryption of a system to find an exploit. You cast your net wide and catch the weaker fish, not the ones aware of your tactics, thats what internet criminality has always been about.

FYI I am not against CFW, I've posted positively in the CFW thread many times. People should be aware that there are security risks associated with this, that is NOT fud.

kamorra said:

Yep. Also, look at the Apple computer line. It's been around for several decades, and you can probably count the number of custom made malware for the platform on one hand. Smaller user base means less potential victims, so black hat types ignore them. It'll be the same here. I haven't heard of any such malware coming out on any other opened platform (like the Wii or 360 or Dreamcast). The chances that it will happen in this case are so remote as to be frivolous.

Also, we're way off topic.

Momo

Banned
kamorra said:
simply "injecting a keylogger in a homebrew app" wont work.
Let's say you don't autolog into PSN for whatever reason, from boot I'm reasonably sure some of the first keys you will be entering is your login details.

Since I know where your "cursor" (on what letter it starts) is when you bring up the on screen keypad of your ps3, It's trivial to determine that should you start at "a" for example the joypad combination of ->, ->, ->, <-, ->, X is an "f" an so forth.

Then I can just log in to your account and go buck wild.

I'm NOT here to rag on CFW, just saying people should be careful.

Achievements and trophy's are more of a personal thing this gen due to having no physical rewards but I love them and it sucks when people cheat to unlock them, it's why I stick to only comparing my cheese mints with friends on my buddy list or gaffers ect.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Momo said:
Please. Why would I need to read any of the traffic between your console and sony's servers? You don't need to break any and every kind of encryption of a system to find an exploit. You cast your net wide and catch the weaker fish, not the ones aware of your tactics, thats what internet criminality has always been about.

FYI I am not against CFW, I've posted positively in the CFW thread many times. People should be aware that there are security risks associated with this, that is NOT fud.

A simple keylogger would require multitask. The logger needs to be in the background all the time. That's not how multitask on the PS3 works. Sure in theory it will be possible but not as easy as you make look like it.
People have to understand that right now their info is much at risk as always. As soon they input their info somewhere on the net it isn't safe anymore.

Momo

Banned
kamorra said:
A simple keylogger would require multitask. The logger needs to be in the background all the time. That's not how multitask on the PS3 works. Sure in theory it will be possible but not as easy as you make look like it.
People have to understand that right now their info is much at risk as always. As soon they input their info somewhere on the net it isn't safe anymore.
I could add it to the firmware as an OS service, the OS runs all the time. All the function would do is "listen" and "log" and send the file upon next boot/network connection.

I do agree your information is always at risk and you should be careful everywhere. People (myself included) generally use their consoles in rather unsafe ways because 'hey it's a console". My point is, if you need to be aware there will be more risks now. Treat your PS3 the same way you do your Pc (if on CFW) and you'll be fine though.

Indeed

Momo said:
I do agree your information is always at risk and you should be careful everywhere. People (myself included) generally use their consoles in rather unsafe ways because 'hey it's a console". My point is, if you need to be aware there will be more risks now. Treat your PS3 the same way you do your Pc (if on CFW) and you'll be fine though.

I still dont get how any of this is possible while not using CTW.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Momo said:
I could add it to the firmware as an OS service, the OS runs all the time.

Yes, theoretically, but you could but you would need much more access to the system that we currently have.

Momo said:
Treat your PS3 the same way you do your Pc (if on CFW) and you'll be fine though.

Exactly, let's just say that on the most important point we agree.

Momo

Banned
Indeed said:
I still dont get how any of this is possible while not using CTW.
It kinda is, and it's kinda not.

If someone figures out some magical way of pushing and silently installing software onto your ps3, it is. Remember homebrew apps are signed as official apps.

Chances are tiny as hell of that happening. Hell, chances are tiny of anyone bothering to write malicious code for people installing homebrew as well.

(The PC market will always be their bread and butter and trying to exploit a few tens of thousands of ps3 users at the opportunity cost of the entire windows userbase wouldn't exactly be worth while)

kamorra said:
Exactly, let's just say that on the most important point we agree.
Advocating internet security and best practises one GAFfer at a time ;)

jmdajr

that SUCKS

Lagspike_exe said:
Useless? Are you serious? They are going to be useless for nerds who use them as their e-penis. For us who use them to record our progress & achievements in games we played, they are as useful as always.
Yup, that's pretty much how I feel about them. It's my own personal history. I'm still not liking where this is going though.

Momo

Banned
Haunted said:
Every time I read "according to a post on NeoGAF" as the sole source of an actual article, I die a little inside.
I'm sure Amir0x appreciates the extra hits this generates though xD

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't really mind actually. I find the trophy system more of a personal award system (wherein I can compare it with my friends if I want to) more than an "I beatzz you allz" system.

What a bunch of fucking losers.

Sertiously, how fucking sad do you have to be to really give a shit about virtual trophies that no one gives a shit about except for your other sad Internet friends.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Rapping Granny said:

Sertiously, how fucking sad do you have to be to really give a shit about virtual trophies that no one gives a shit about except for your other sad Internet friends.
Simmer da naw.

well this does change things. i partly rely on peer feedback and activity and trophies was a big part of that. had i not seen one of my friends platinum ghostbusters in like 3 days, for example, i would have never played and enjoyed it. now it will be hard determining who to trust. terrible, somehow i knew the negatives would outweigh the positives of this jailbreak shit

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Rapping Granny said:

There are a lot of people in this very thread who care much about their virtual trophies.

Momo

Banned
Rapping Granny said:

This post makes it seem like you care very much about it :eek:

RustyO said:
Would potentially use it... my 2x 97% for The Last Guy (PSN & BR) mock me.

They're both missing the "Navigator" trophy despite multiple attempts to get it via perfect three star, all vips, super clear runs throughout the game without dying. I think it's just glitched.

thats terrible. what if some poor tortured soul comes to you desperate to know how you went about getting it?

jmdajr

Rapping Granny said:

What a shitty attitude. Who are you to judge them?

Top Bottom