• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Death of PS3 Trophies

Trevelyon

iNvidious01 said:
after some digging i found that it wont sync with sonys servers

Makes sense, never sounded plausible to begin with.

I guess homebrew'ers can only pat themselves on the back for their 300 platinums. Now there's some real losers.

CozMick

Banned
My level 21 brother almost threw his PS3 out of the window when I told him the news.

I guess he can breathe a sigh of relief knowing they can't be synced with Sony's servers.

see5harp

Lothars said:
not all are, some are locked and won't let you move them.

I know some of them are locked but even the ones that don't let you copy let you move (Mass Effect). I don't have the need in most cases but I think more importantly you can put your profile and rock band songs on a usb.

darkwing

kyo_daikun said:
I have a guy on my friend list ploughing his way through toy story 3 as we speak.

people here were renting Hannah Montana just for the trophies, i guess some also bought it for the trophies

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I only care about my list of trophies and those of my friends, and I know that none of us will be enabling homebrew on our PS3s, so the jackasses can do whatever they want with their trophy lists.

I'll be pretty pissed if Sony simply discards the PS3 trophy system on the PS4 because of that, though.

Brazil said:
I only care about my list of trophies and those of my friends, and I know that none of us will be enabling homebrew on our PS3s, so the jackasses can do whatever they want with their trophy lists.

I'll be pretty pissed if Sony simply discards the PS3 trophy system on the PS4 because of that, though.

They aren't going to drop that feature. You'll probably even see it implemented in the PSP2.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
SolidSnakex said:
They aren't going to drop that feature. You'll probably even see it implemented in the PSP2.
What I meant is that I want my PS3 trophies to show up on my PS4 trophies list.

If the PS3 trophy system got compromised, they'd just ignore it's existance and move on with a safer one.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
People who claim they've achieved something through homebrew concern me equally to those who sit at home cheating at solitare.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Raide said:
People can do it but they usually get banned as soon as they step on to Live. The servers tend to notice that people have loads of points within seconds of each-other and that signals that something is wrong.

That's what you think. There's ways around the bans and manipulating gamerscore is probably WAAAAAY easier than doing Sony's trophy unlock application that doesn't let you manipulate the dates easy like the 360.

get2sammyb said:
Can we get confirmation of this because I'm bored of seeing the "Trophies are dead" headline all over the 'net.

It's certainly better than seeing the other headline that's going around the net right now involving the hack.

angelfly

TheSeks said:
That's what you think. There's ways around the bans and manipulating gamerscore is probably WAAAAAY easier than doing Sony's trophy unlock application that doesn't let you manipulate the dates easy like the 360.
The fact that 360 doesn't timestamp games played offline means instantly unlocking them all isn't easily traced unless the game has multiplayer achievements.

darkwing

Brazil said:

they have to ditch this present system for the PS4, they have to start from scratch, you don't bc a compromised system

RustyO

Rollo Larson said:
RustyO said:
Would potentially use it... my 2x 97% for The Last Guy (PSN & BR) mock me.

They're both missing the "Navigator" trophy despite multiple attempts to get it via perfect three star, all vips, super clear runs throughout the game without dying. I think it's just glitched.

thats terrible. what if some poor tortured soul comes to you desperate to know how you went about getting it?

I'd tell them exactly how to do it by
going to every level in the game (expect Fishermans Wharf and Park la Brea, but do those anyway) and visit all the landmarks (the names that pop up at the bottom of the screen. "Apparently" it unlocks just by visiting them in one game/session without dying, thats all your supposed to need.

I've done all sorts of stuff, including multiple run throughs in one session super-clearing all levels first time, rescuing all VIPS,
visiting all landmarks
and never dying once.

Some of the
landmarks names
that are supposed to trigger the trophy are different in different versions.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there even a leaderboard for trophies? If these dumbasses want to do it, I feel sorry for them. I use my trophies just as a marker of what i've played/accomplished.

Trophies are between friends, not a global leaderboard. People have been abusing the system by gang banging games with a shared account for ages, this is just another outlet for cheaters. This has zero effect on me.

Jomjom

Banned
From what I've read it seems like you should be able to sync, but people are just afraid to get banned at the moment.

Lince

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Is there even a leaderboard for trophies? If these dumbasses want to do it, I feel sorry for them. I use my trophies just as a marker of what i've played/accomplished.

and I believe I compared my trophies only once just to see how that feature worked, my last Platinum was Demon's Souls PAL and no CFW idiot is going to spoil my sense of accomplishment and the fun I had while figuring out how to 100% the game.

Shambles

DonMigs85 said:
So I heard that there's a "Trophy Unlocker" homebrew that basically lets you get 100% in a game and sync to Sony's servers (after removing CFW I think). Is this in any way detectable or patchable at some point? Has there been a similar exploit on the 360 as well?
If Sony really can't do much about this then trophies will be even more worthless than they already are.
Credit to jercruz for presenting this on another forum.

After reading the OP I was thinking this was completely pointless thread, but then I realized it was useful after all for me to improve my ignore list so I don't see these types of threads in the future. Thanks OP.

Screw trophies

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heh. It seems kinda silly to be bothered by something like this, but it's even more silly for someone to go out of their way to 'hack' in fake trophies. What is the point of that, aside from doing it just because you can? What a waste of time. The only value they have for me is a way of tracking progress in the games I've played, and a way to keep little tokens of my accomplishments like beating demon's Souls. Trophies for stuff you've never done seems completely pointless.

Top Bottom