• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Decent thread.

An addition that would be nice would be:

How does it look compare to on psp?

I assume it varies depending on game (same with 3ds BC).

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just how good is Ys Seven? Seemed kind of unremarkable from gameplay videos.

It's good, but if it was my first Ys game, I wouldn't have stuck with the series. The game has way too much dialogue, most of which is boring, and I really miss being able to jump, if only because it varied up the action. I'd definitely recommend Oath in Felghana over Seven.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's good, but if it was my first Ys game, I wouldn't have stuck with the series. The game has way too much dialogue, most of which is boring, and I really miss being able to jump, if because it varied up the action. I'd definitely recommend Oath in Felghana over Seven.

Alright. Un-sold!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Great list thread. Sub'd.

(I'm out of the loop: Are we really getting Growlanser and Black Rock at some point in the future?!)

Great thread and thanks for posting the price OP! I just picked up Ys 7. I might have to get Tactics Ogre if I can find a strategy guide somewhere.

Takao

Banned
I really need to buy Gurumin soon, because something tells me Mastiff's license has lapsed long ago, lol.

Great thread and thanks for posting the price OP! I just picked up Ys 7. I might have to get Tactics Ogre if I can find a strategy guide somewhere.
tactics ogre is some complicated shit there, don't even bother if you're not an intellectual. the mechanics are beyond the davinci code. Really deep.

Ys 7 is awesome, good buy.

UberTag

I'll reiterate for the umpteenth time that Trails in the Sky is REQUIRED playing for all JRPG enthusiasts.

Also, I'll mention that a handful of "unavailable" JRPGs are in the UK marketplace and would theoretically be Vita playable if purchased digitally via PSN tokens and downloaded directly or transferred via PS3.

Those being...
- Breath of Fire III
- Final Fantasy I
- Final Fantasy II
- Phantasy Star Portable 2

People have already confirmed that PSP2 works plenty fine on Vitas already.

TheExodu5

Banned
Decent thread.

An addition that would be nice would be:

How does it look compare to on psp?

I assume it varies depending on game (same with 3ds BC).

Every game looks better on Vita than on PSP. Every one. Perfect 1:1 scaling results in a beautifully crisp image. You have the option of turning on bilinear filtering, which can make some titles look better (though others worse, IMO).

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Gungnir, Growlanser, Grand Knights History, AND Black Rock.

I mean... wow. Hurry up with the releases, will you.

raven777

Great thread! I am really interested in those RPGs on Vita.

Someone said that all those games look better on Vita compared to the psp. Does anyone know any titles that look significantly better on Vita, that you need to play it on Vita even if you have it on psp?

Skilletor

3rd Bday is amazing with a 2nd analog. I didn't really like it at all on PSP, but playing on vita makes it so much better.

Someone said that all those games look better on Vita compared to the psp. Does anyone know any titles that look significantly better on Vita, that you need to play it on Vita even if you have it on psp?

I don't know about graphics, but any game with camera mapped to dpad is a significantly better experience on the Vita.

I suspect games like Monster Hunter, 3Rd Birthday and Dissidia might look AMAZING on Vita because they looked AMAZING on PSP but add to that a proper camera stick.

stupei

I'm not all that great at SRPGs but I still loved Tactics Ogre. Just make sure to actually read the optional text files the game provides explaining some of its deeper mechanics and you should be fine. The PSP version has a few things added in to make the game more approachable, including the ability to rewind time up to 50 turns (from you and the enemy combined) so that if you mess up too bad it's always possible to rethink a strategy.

That aside, my main advice would be: upgrade dodge and counter skills early, archers can become AMAZING very easily so keep a few around, and have two wizards with at least one area of spell type overlap so that once one has cast, say, wind on an opponent and he's become weakened to it, the other can follow up with even better damage.

Edit: Okay, and now I have a question. Don't games presumably have to have second analog support patched in? Is that the case for all the "Sony approved" ones in the OP?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Great thread. I can't wait for Growlanser and Black Rock Shooter later this year.

Grimmy

Banned
I'll reiterate for the umpteenth time that Trails in the Sky is REQUIRED playing for all JRPG enthusiasts.

Also, I'll mention that a handful of "unavailable" JRPGs are in the UK marketplace and would theoretically be Vita playable if purchased digitally via PSN tokens and downloaded directly or transferred via PS3.

Those being...
- Breath of Fire III
- Final Fantasy I
- Final Fantasy II
- Phantasy Star Portable 2

People have already confirmed that PSP2 works plenty fine on Vitas already.

Thanks. How much are they? And are they also available in Euro stores?

Is this even possible? Can you add touch controls to PSP games?
He was joking, but that aside, it is possible. Someone in another thread posted that he was surprised he was able to input text using the touch screen in one of the PSP games he put on his Vita. I just can't remember what game it was.

cj_iwakura

I can confirm Wild Arms XF is tough as nails.

And not in a fair way. In the 'AI hates you' and BS mission objectives way.

Still a great game, in VERY small doses.

Nert

GAF has convinced me to pick up Trails in the Sky and Half Minute Hero at some point. I'll probably be content with just Lumines and UMvC3 for a while, though.

Takao

Banned
He was joking, but that aside, it is possible. Someone in another thread posted that he was surprised he was able to input text using the touch screen in one of the PSP games he put on his Vita. I just can't remember what game it was.

When you type in usernames for save data, I can confirm for practically all PSP games it uses the Vita's touch keyboard.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, Valhalla Knights and Valhalla Knights 2 are currently on sale on the European PSN Store. Have anyone played the Valhalla Knight series? They both reviewed really poorly, but I also get the impression that they might be appreciated by people who actually play RPGs regularly.

Grimmy

Banned
Cladun 1 can be found on gamestop for $9.99
ZHP for $19.99

probably can find some games cheaper here compared to PSN. and sometimes PSN is cheaper than gamestop. just got to research.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/games/sony-psp?nav=1388-ffff2418-51

Thanks a lot - I've updated the OP with the Gamestop prices.

Also Ys 1&2 Chronicles (US) works fine for me. Transferred from PS3.

Alas it doesn't work for everyone :( Some have success at transferring it over, some don't.

as for 2nd tier rpgs (more like 5th tier),dragoneer's aria is on the european store,it only has 56% metacritic but i enjoyed it on psp back then

I was originally hesitant on putting z-tiered RPGs up there, but since I already have a category for it I thought, why not?

I wonder if Cladun 1 is even worth playing when you have Cladun 2 though. I would've grabbed it in the sale otherwise, but if it is I MAY put some more time into Cladun X2 and see if it's worth seriously considering.

Well, Cladun 1 is only $9.99 via Gamestop.com. Best reason to try it out now! And IMO both are worth playing. Actually I enjoyed the first more since the music's better.

of course,it has 2 new jobs,2 new characters,new equipment,new events,new story & side missions,anime cutscenes with voice acting,co-op missions mode and a new translation by alexander o. smith

also,balthier is in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kWbHePQbU

Thanks. I'll add these info in.

Thanks. How much are they? And are they also available in Euro stores?
They're all up on the European PSN Store.

• Breath of Fire III - €9.99
• Final Fantasy I - €9.99 (not up on the Vita PSN Store)
• Final Fantasy II - €9.99
• Phantasy Star Portable 2 - €34.99 (not up on the Vita PSN Store)

Grimmy

Banned
It's good, but if it was my first Ys game, I wouldn't have stuck with the series. The game has way too much dialogue, most of which is boring, and I really miss being able to jump, if only because it varied up the action. I'd definitely recommend Oath in Felghana over Seven.

You guys are insane. Ys 7 is a great game. Yeah it has some superfluous plot and dialogue, but hardly anything detrimental. I HIGHLY recommend the game.

Great list thread. Sub'd.

(I'm out of the loop: Are we really getting Growlanser and Black Rock at some point in the future?!)

Of course - otherwise why would I bother putting them in? :)

RedBoot

I can confirm Wild Arms XF is tough as nails.

And not in a fair way. In the 'AI hates you' and BS mission objectives way.

Still a great game, in VERY small doses.

Eh, it's the only Wild Arms game I didn't own (I'd kind of forgotten it existed, to be honest), and $10 was just too tempting. I like challenging games most of the time, so maybe it'll be fine.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona, Valhalla Knights and Valhalla Knights 2 are currently on sale on the European PSN Store. Have anyone played the Valhalla Knight series? They both reviewed really poorly, but I also get the impression that they might be appreciated by people who actually play RPGs regularly.

I remember having some fun with the first game, but then I got it cheap and I'm the type who likes clunky dungeon crawlers (incidentally, I'm also a fan of the first Persona). Watch some videos of it, maybe? I don't know that I played it enough to really recommend it.

Grimmy

Banned
They're all up on the European PSN Store.

• Breath of Fire III - €9.99
• Final Fantasy I - €9.99 (not up on the Vita PSN Store)
• Final Fantasy II - €9.99
• Phantasy Star Portable 2 - €34.99 (not up on the Vita PSN Store)

Thanks - so does it mean BoF III and FFII ARE on the Vita store?

I remember having some fun with the first game, but then I got it cheap and I'm the type who likes clunky dungeon crawlers (incidentally, I'm also a fan of the first Persona). Watch some videos of it, maybe? I don't know that I played it enough to really recommend it.
Well, it's only €5.99 so I don't need a glowing recommendation of it. Even though I already own Persona on UMD I was considering double dipping for the convenience.
Thanks - so does it mean BoF III and FFII ARE on the Vita store?
Yes, I just checked a few minutes ago.

Really good thread, checking out Corpse Party and Cladun now. :)

2 Q's

Never played a Persona game before, which is the best one to start off with for a beginner?

Loved PE1, played a bit of PE2 but i didnt like it, story wise would i be lost playing PE3?

Grimmy

Banned
Yes, I just checked a few minutes ago.

Thanks a lot! That helps a lot.

So we can consider BoF III and FFII as part of Group 1.
PSP2 can be considered part of Group 2 (using the PS3 as a bridge works fine).

I would imagine FFI works similarly but we won't know for certain until someone tests it out.

Actually I created a whole new group (group 5) since the OP doesn't have enough space anyways :)

Bukana

• Awesome Thread.

• Subscribed.

• Bought Ys Seven, awesome game, XSEED is the best.

• Thinking of FFIV or Trails In The Sky, after I beat Ys Seven.

Junie12

Really good thread, checking out Corpse Party and Cladun now. :)

2 Q's

Never played a Persona game before, which is the best one to start off with for a beginner?

Loved PE1, played a bit of PE2 but i didnt like it, story wise would i be lost playing PE3?

Tch, no way P3 has nothing to do with P2, and P3 is a completely different game from P2 so don't worry about it, it's an awesome game enjoy it ;)

You are probably best of starting with either Persona 3 or 4. Since we're getting an enhanced Vita port of P4, I suggest you give Persona 3 Portable a try.
The story in it doesn't make much sense. You won't miss anything important by skipping Parasite Eve 2.

IllumiNate

Nice thread, I'll be grabbing
Tits
Tactics Ogre
3rd Birthday
Persona 3 (when it drops in price)
Ys 7 (undecided)

Oh and any rumors on a release date stateside for Grand Knights History? has it been released in Japan yet? Also what are the chances Type-0 gets localization?

Because of your avatar, I trust you.
You're like the 5th person in 1 week to mention something about the avatar, I'm so glad I jacked it from kagari when she stopped using it. But yeah it's one of the best psp rpgs, thank me any time after you play it.

Nice thread, I'll be grabing
3rd Birthday
Ys 7 (undecided)

Oh and any rumors on a release date stateside for Grand Knights History? has it been released in Japan yet? Also what are the chances Type-0 gets localization?
how are you gonna get 3rd birthday and not be sure about ys 7. Please man.

Grimmy

Banned
If someone can pls help check the EU/UK prices for the group 1 games, I'd be truly grateful!

And if anyone downloads games via the PS3 from the UNTESTED group, please let me know if they work! Thanks!

Top Bottom