• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Eusis

Well, Cladun 1 is only $9.99 via Gamestop.com. Best reason to try it out now! And IMO both are worth playing. Actually I enjoyed the first more since the music's better.
Noted!

As for Ys Seven's dialogue/plot: I don't really think it's THAT bad. You want bad go for Golden Sun or something, at least the characters are likable enough and the plot kind of engaging, but nevertheless if you feel that way I'd go for Ys: Oath in Felghana first and MAYBE Ys I & II Chronicles, and if you find you like Ys enough and want more jump for Seven.

And if anyone downloads games via the PS3 from the UNTESTED group, please let me know if they work! Thanks!
Hexyz Force copied over and booted up fine. I haven't played it too extensively, but I do believe it's listed as a supported game in the Japanese lists, and I haven't heard of any games having issues once successfully copied over, so I assume it's safe.

Grimmy

Banned
Oh and any rumors on a release date stateside for Grand Knights History? has it been released in Japan yet? Also what are the chances Type-0 gets localization?

Delayed indefinitely alas. Vanillaware's trying to finish Dragon's Crown so they don't have time to do the English coding for Grand Knights History. And yeah, the game's been out ages ago.

I would love to have BoF3 on my Vita. :(

Why wasn't it released in the US?

Stupid old SCEA policy that prevented ports from getting released in NA. We also missed out on Tales of Eternia and, most egregiously, Suikoden I & II as a result.

Noted!

As for Ys Seven's dialogue/plot: I don't really think it's THAT bad. You want bad go for Golden Sun or something, at least the characters are likable enough and the plot kind of engaging, but nevertheless if you feel that way I'd go for Ys: Oath in Felghana first and MAYBE Ys I & II Chronicles, and if you find you like Ys enough and want more jump for Seven.

Hexyz Force copied over and booted up fine. I haven't played it too extensively, but I do believe it's listed as a supported game in the Japanese lists, and I haven't heard of any games having issues once successfully copied over, so I assume it's safe.

I 100% agree with you on Ys 7, and I agree with you 1000000% on Golden Sun.

And thanks re: Hexyz Force! I'll move it now.

cj_iwakura

I haven't played Cladun X2 yet, but X1 is a dang good game, and a great introduction.
(Also beautiful music, as said. Live violin!)

Erm.... You know PSOne games don't work on the Vita still, right? Sony's still trying to fix this.

lol of course. I said they need to be on the screen as in the future. Seeing how nice everything else looks, I am excited to find out how my PS1 collection will look on the Vita screen whenever that is.

tearsofash

I wanted to buy Ys I and II, before I bought Oath in Felghana. YS I and II aren't available on the Vita store yet, though.

I was also contemplating getting Persona 2 or 3, but I'm not sure which.

Eusis

Breath of Fire III is on the UK store?

son of a....

I think I need to make a Europe account now
Depending on the licensing issues they should see about just releasing the PSP version here as a $10 DD exclusive, maybe 6. Sure, you couldn't get it to play on PS3, but it'd be properly widescreen and I imagine the loading is, at worst, brought down to PS1 levels. Of course, I guess at this point Capcom would just write it off as not worth their time, shame the DD initiative took about 4 years into the PSP's lifespan to kick off.

Grimmy

Banned
Depending on the licensing issues they should see about just releasing the PSP version here as a $10 DD exclusive, maybe 6. Sure, you couldn't get it to play on PS3, but it'd be properly widescreen and I imagine the loading is, at worst, brought down to PS1 levels. Of course, I guess at this point Capcom would just write it off as not worth their time, shame the DD initiative took about 4 years into the PSP's lifespan to kick off.

One game I have from EU is Tales of Eternia, which I thought looked and played fantastic on the PSP. Too bad Namco didn't put it on the PSN/SEN :(

And a shame 2K Games doesn't put Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony on the PSN - it's the best hack n' loot game on the PSP.

Eusis

What do you mean!?
You can set the right analog as [D-pads, Left Analog, Main Buttons (X,O,T,S) or nothing].
I think that was about character control, so for any Ys it's irrelevant to map the R stick to anything. And they DO use it, but they also use the D-Pad, and depending on the entry you may prefer one over the other (analog IS pretty good for them though, especially I, II, and Oath are fine a D-Pad.)

magawolaz

Final Fantasy I (Anniversary Edition) is only 4.99€ (at least on EU Store)

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona is 12.99€ (11.69€ for Plus)

Also, Plus members have tons of discounts on RPGs this month.

Grimmy

Banned
Final Fantasy I (Anniversary Edition) is only 4.99€ (at least on EU Store)

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona is 12.99€ (11.69€ for Plus)

Also, Plus members have tons of discounts on RPGs this month.

Thanks - if you can tell me all the prices in euros of the games I listed in OP I'd be grateful! I don't have an EU account alas.

What is the first Persona like? I loved 3

There's a reason the 1st Persona is in my 2nd Tier dump list :p

Can i download a PSP game from the US store, then copy it to my Vita which has an AUS account? It seems people are having heaps of issues transferring games from ps3 to vita.

Locke_211

Thanks - if you can tell me all the prices in euros of the games I listed in OP I'd be grateful! I don't have an EU account alas.

There's a reason the 1st Persona is in my 2nd Tier dump list :p

Could you be any more specific? :) (I mean that in the genuine question sense, not the Chandler from Friends sense :p )

magawolaz

Sure. I don't have a Vita, so I'm checking the prices via PSP, but I believe it's the same.

I also believe that Persona has a temporary discount. Not sure about Final Fantasy. I'll check that out later.

Could you be any more specific? :) (I mean that in the genuine question sense, not the Chandler from Friends sense :p )
It's more of a straight up first-person dungeon crawler. Persona 3 added a social dating sim aspect which makes the story and characters more interesting.

Rootbeer

Banned
What is the first Persona like? I loved 3
I liked it a great deal when it was first released on the PS1, there were no other rpgs quite like it back then. I'd have to say that it has not aged well, and is looked back on as one of the weakest in the series.

Play Persona 2, 3 and 4 (in whatever order you like) first, then if you are really begging for more... you can check out 1.

Kiraly

European PSN prices as of 26-02-2012

RECOMMENDED, SONY-APPROVED FULL VITA COMPATIBILITY TITLES

The 3rd Birthday €19,99
Cladun: This is an RPG/Cladun X2 €19,99
Corpse Party €14,99
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness €14,99
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days €19,99
Dissidia 012[duodecim] €34,99
Fate/Extra Unavailable
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection €34,99
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions €9,99
Half Minute Hero €14,99 (Currently €7,99 until 14-03-2012)
Knights in the Nightmare Unavailable
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky €34,99
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony €14,99
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite €9,99
Persona 2: Innocent Sin €34,99 (Bundled with P3P for €49,99)
Persona 3 Portable €34,99 (Bundled with P2:IS for €49,99)
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle €19,99
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords Unavailable
Riviera: The Promised Land €17,99
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together €19,99
Wild Arms XF €17,99
Yggdra Union Unavailable
Ys SEVEN €14,99
Ys: The Oath in Felghana €14,99
Z.H.P. €29,99

COMPATIBLE, BUT NOT LISTED BY SONY

Hexyz Force Unavailable
Jeanne d’Arc Unavailable
Valkyria Chronicles II (without DLC) €34,99 (DLC costs €4,99)

UNTESTED OR GAMES WHICH ARE NOT QUITE WORKING

God Eater Burst €29,99
Gurumin Unavailable
Patapon 3 €26,99
R-Type Command Unavailable
Untold Legends: The Warrior’s Code Unavailable
Ys I & II Chronicles €19,99

Ys 7 is nowhere to be seen on the EU Vita PSN. Could somebody confirm that you can transfer it from a EU PS3 to a EU Vita? Or maybe the possibility of downloading it from my PSN download history. I don't want to buy it and not be able to play it.

Good thread. I've been playing Valkyria Chronicles 2...absolutely loving it. Subscribed. I never owned a PSP and i've missed out on most of these gems.

First things first...I'm gonna need a bigger memory card.

Excellent thread.

I can confirm that Ys 7 and Oath are very enjoyable. One word of warning (I'd never played Ys games before): expect significant spikes in difficulty when you encounter a boss. I was breezing through levels, only to tear out my hair at the bosses. Ys 7 kept me sane on flight to Australia and back.

I'll get Trails in the Sky as soon as I finish with Rayman.

magawolaz

Games avaible on EU Store (not listed the ones with the same $ price)
Corpse Party - 14.99€
Disgaea Infinite - 19.99€
Dissidia 012 - 34.99€ (Prologus - 1.49€)
FFIV Complete Collection - 34.99€
Half Minute Hero - 7.99€ (7.19€ Plus, temporary discount)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 34.99€
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 9.99€ (Essentials)
Persona 2 - 34.99€
Persona 3 - 34.99€
Persona 2/Persona 3 Bundle - 49.99€
Persona 2/TitS Bundle - 59.99€
Riviera: The Promised Land - 17.99€
Wild Amrs XF - 17.99€
Valkyria Chronicles II (stand alone) - 34.99€
Gods Eater Burst - 29.99€
Patapon 3 - 26.99€
Ys I & II - 19.99€

Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos - 17.99€
Innocent Life €6.49 (temporary discount)
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley €14.99 (temporary discount)
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance v- 14.99€
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - 12.99€ (temporary discount)
Valhalla Knights 6.49€
Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance 7.99€
White Knight Chronicles: Origins - 26.99€

EDIT: fuuuu-

pardon me the noobish question, maybe it should go in the noob q/a thread but since it involves this rpg list i hope that you guys take pity on me and answer...
I have the umd for pretty much every single game involved in the list... is there a way to play such games on my vita or i have to sistematically buy those on psn/sen to play them on vita? thanks

pardon me the noobish question, maybe it should go in the noob q/a thread but since it involves this rpg list i hope that you guys take pity on me and answer...
I have the umd for pretty much every single game involved in the list... is there a way to play such games on my vita or i have to sistematically buy those on psn/sen to play them on vita? thanks
There are no ways to play or transfer UMD games to a Vita. If you want to experience them on the Vita, you'll have to buy them again.

Balboa

Is the first Persona game not any good? Is there an ongoing storyline or is it ok to pick it up at the 3rd game?

Famassu

Is the first Persona game not any good? Is there an ongoing storyline or is it ok to pick it up at the 3rd game?
Persona 1 and both 2s do have some pretty big connections, Persona 3 & 4 are more of a standalone games.

Having never owned a PSP how does Trials in the Sky compare to RPGs like FF 7, 8 or 9? In that sort of league or not?
Trails In The Sky is a lot slower (to start, at least) than Final Fantasy games, though once it starts going it really goes at it. I don't think I'd compare it to FFs, I get more of a Suikoden-ish vibe. Outside of Square Enix's offerings, TitS is my favorite JRPG on PSP. Not without its flaws, but if you get sucked into the experience, it won't let go until you've finished the game.

Grimmy

Banned

Persona 1 is just extremely dated unfortunately. It's only for hardcore fans really at this point. I really hate the control scheme.

The battle system is more compelling than the ones in Final Fantasy, but the story isn't in the same league in my opinion.

I'd wager that the story for Trails in the Sky 1+2+3 is better than any of those FFs (with the exception of maybe FFVI and FFX)

Eh, it's the only Wild Arms game I didn't own (I'd kind of forgotten it existed, to be honest), and $10 was just too tempting. I like challenging games most of the time, so maybe it'll be fine.

I remember having some fun with the first game, but then I got it cheap and I'm the type who likes clunky dungeon crawlers (incidentally, I'm also a fan of the first Persona). Watch some videos of it, maybe? I don't know that I played it enough to really recommend it.

I dont get the complaint about wa xf difficulty, I dont play a lot of srpg, tried disgaea and found it hard, almost never beat fft, and havent beat tactics ogre but I actually beat wild arms xfits challenging, but never felt like I hit an impossible difficulty. As far as Im concerned, those who said its hard is playing it wrong or something, or maybe got used to the usual convention of srpg and cant get around playing xf as it is intended.

What class to bring in battle is crucial in xf, if you fail a mission, dont forcing the same approach again, but try changing your class etc then try again with new syrategy. It almost felt like a puzzle game than a tactics game to me.

Binabik15

I have Breath of Fire 3 on UMD/memory stick with CFW.

Can I use my current non-PSN version saves to play it on Vita? I'm not starting from scratch late in the game AGAIN.

Famassu

The battle system is more compelling than the ones in Final Fantasy, but the story isn't in the same league in my opinion.
Hmm? I'd say it's the other way around. The battle system can get kinda tedious (so much that I mostly ran past all encounters which I just possibly could, once I felt that I was starting to get a bit overpowered), but it's the story & characters that really drive the experience forward. It's perhaps not as flashy/cinematic as especially post-SNES FFs, but the quality more than makes up for it.

Top Bottom