• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Democratic National Convention OT |2016|: The One With the Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod abuse:
07272016-DNCday3-5-780x561.jpg

Aww.

Updated with the keynote speeches:

(Play this in the background)

i-am-not-a-member-of-any-organized-political-party-i-am-a-democrat-will-rogers.jpg

BA3mLcc.png

Though the convention is actually taking place in the Pennsylvania Convention Center and the Wells Fargo Center - both along Broad Street, which is largely on the other side of that skyline.

STREAMING LINKS
http://www.msnbc.com/live-online/watch/live-democratic-national-convention-day-1-731822147898
https://www.twitch.tv/dnc2016 - if you hate fun

We've got policy!*
*Namely, the most progressive platform in the party's history.

You can read the full party platform here.

In 2016, Democrats meet in Philadelphia with the same basic belief that animated the Continental Congress when they gathered here 240 years ago: Out of many, we are one.

Under President Obama’s leadership, and thanks to the hard work and determination of the American people, we have come a long way from the Great Recession and the Republican policies that triggered it. American businesses have now added 14.8 million jobs since private-sector job growth turned positive in early 2010. Twenty million people have gained health insurance coverage. The American auto industry just had its best year ever. And we are getting more of our energy from the sun and wind, and importing less oil from overseas.

But too many Americans have been left out and left behind. They are working longer hours with less security. Wages have barely budged and the racial wealth gap remains wide, while the cost of everything from childcare to a college education has continued to rise. And for too many families, the dream of homeownership is out of reach. As working people struggle, the top one percent accrues more wealth and more power. Republicans in Congress have chosen gridlock and dysfunction over trying to find solutions to the real challenges we face. It’s no wonder that so many feel like the system is rigged against them.

Democrats believe that cooperation is better than conflict, unity is better than division, empowerment is better than resentment, and bridges are better than walls.

It’s a simple but powerful idea: we are stronger together.

We've got Larry David!
d2TcncL.png

We've got the Dream Team!
M0oGFfa.jpg

The FLOTUS and Senator Sanders will be joined on Monday night, billed as "United Together", by Astrid Silva, DREAMer activist. Former President Clinton will be joined on Tuesday, billed "A Lifetime Of Fighting For Children And Families" by the Mothers of the Movement. Incumbent President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will headline Wednesday night's speakers alongside Vice Presidential nominee Tim Kaine, billed "Working Together", while the final night, billed "Stronger Together", will be led by Chelsea Clinton and Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Other notable speakers include Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, and the Human Rights Campaign's Sarah McBride, who will become the first openly transgender person to speak at a major-party convention on Thursday.

Fuller lists of convention speakers can be found here and here.

Celebrities set to speak at the convention include Chloë Grace Moretz, Demi Lovato, Jason Collins, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Katy Perry, Alicia Keys and Eva Longoria.

And finally, we've got a candidate who doesn't have a butthole mouth!
giphy-14.gif

(The full convention schedule will be edited into this post if/when it's publicly made available.)

Solid OP and I love the title picture, but the thread title is a blatant lie. It's not the only convention with policy. It's not even the only convention with Democratic Party policy, thanks to Ivanka.

Solid OP and I love the title picture, but the thread title is a blatant lie. It's not the only convention with policy.

Well, it's the only convention with policy that isn't unmitigated garbage (between abolish the income tax, wall, and stop all fossil fuels/nuclear immediately), but I don't think that one would've fit.

Chloe Moretz? Why?

Social media presence + very vocal supporter, presumably

Solid OP and I love the title picture, but the thread title is a blatant lie. It's not the only convention with policy. It's not even the only convention with Democratic Party policy, thanks to Ivanka.

Ivanka essentially had a democratic speech at the RNC. She targeted many progressive policy goals and somehow got cheers for them, when the actual conservative platform put forward detailed the exact opposite approach.

User1608

Banned
I love that Astrid Silva is there. Sarah McBride is great too. Looking forward to hearing them speak the most outside the big guns.
Lets show the world that we won't let bigotry and white supremacy into the white house
Indeed.

Diversity and empathy is our greatest strength.

Sianos

Ivanka essentially had a democratic speech at the RNC. She targeted many progressive policy goals and somehow got cheers for them, when the actual conservative platform put forward detailed the exact opposite approach.
She was just doing her own independent research on whether the Republican base actually cares about fiscally conservative policies, and came up with another confirmation that they do not.

The metaphorical meta-analysis is getting pretty damning for them.

Sianos

I'm looking forward to having my hope and sanity restored this week with some coherent policy and demonstrations of intersectionality.

WedgeX

Banned
Here's to hoping for messages of unity and hope. Anything to wash the fear and warmongering of last week away.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, pretty impressive. I'm hoping Michelle says something about Melania's speech, a joke maybe.

Same. Just a small little jab. Social media would eat it up.

rjinaz

After nearly a full week of hate filled rants about Hillary, immigrants, other Americans that look different, walls, and gun rights, I can use a week of talking about actual policies and helping Americans that need it.

Plum

I'm getting way too antsy waiting for this to happen. Tired of that shitty RNC having a positive effect on Trump.

Whilst it did that it was also rife with fuck ups and barely lifted Trumps polling numbers at all. It really didn't achieve what a convention like that is meant to do.

rjinaz

After Bernie speaks and endorses Clinton and her policies and makes no mention of being "cheated" out of the race, will the Bernie or Busters finally give it a rest? You're making the rest of us Bernie supporters look like the fanatics you claim others are.

After Bernie speaks and endorses Clinton and her policies and makes no mention of being "cheated" out of the race, will the Bernie or Busters finally give it a rest? You're making the rest of us Bernie supporters look like the fanatics you claim others are.
Bernie, like the DNC, has betrayed them. So no.

So far it actually has seemed to amount only to a minor bump in polling. Would be great if that holds true.

Whilst it did that it was also rife with fuck ups and barely lifted Trumps polling numbers at all. It really didn't achieve what a convention like that is meant to do.

Oh for certain, I'm more excited to see the comparative bump that the DNC will bring since the DNC will actually have respectable people involved.

jbug617

Banned

nope. It's no longer about Bernie for them. It's about Clinton and DNC being bad.

Someone on CNN said it well, even though the DNC isn't supporting exactly what I want, I'm still pretty proud to support the Democrats. Especially in contrast to what we are seeing with the GOP.

Mathieran

Banned
Pretty good list of celebrities they've got. I can't wait for the conservatives to complain about Hollywood liberals who don't know anything about the world after they trotted out any d list has been celebrities they could get last week.

rjinaz

Someone on CNN said it well, even though the DNC isn't supporting exactly what I want, I'm still pretty proud to support the Democrats. Especially in contrast to what we are seeing with the GOP.

If you watched the RNC and didn't feel disgusted, and then you watch the DNC and can't see the vast contrast between the two parties and still don't know what party to vote for, there is truly no reason you will listen to. Vote for who you want, you're not going to be convinced otherwise and people need to stop wasting their time on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom