• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The direct-feed GameCube screenshot thread (56k and spoiler warning)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
those f-zero shots, along with metroid earlier, gave me goosebumps.

Anasui Kishibe said:
see, I do love my Wii, but it felt real good when your console used to obliterate the others in terms of sheer horsepower efficiency
fixed.

scarybore

In the cruelest of fates, I forgot that using a Memory Card 1019 is not a very good idea with homebrew and thus wiped all my Gamecube saves, so if you use the PSO method don't forget to use a smaller memory card! :lol If this happened a few years ago, I would probably be incredibly pissed but it gives me a good reason to play through all my games again.

Since I nuked my memory card, here's some rather boring images of Viewtiful Joe that do the game very little justice.

2i7244k.png

9pt7ab.png

2cxvk2c.png

25zqhr8.png

2uiejpf.png

f9p4et.png

fmpb0k.png

25i6c21.png

2q38xvq.png

2nr2afa.png

4siagw.png

2wps6k9.png

1zyvuc3.png

qpl09j.png

k0op6e.png

egzv68.png

2aaftk6.png

21mw65x.png

b6oynq.png

wre3ih.png

sbjb0o.png

14x1p1i.png

s13guw.png

2qiqqrq.png

1e82kj.png

29mahqb.png

2w7fzn5.png

6ive45.png

11106yx.png

350uctg.png

20b0n5w.png

2vc7tkh.png

2qa4kzd.png

donny2112

Deathcraze said:
In the cruelest of fates, I forgot that using a Memory Card 1019 is not a very good idea with homebrew and thus wiped all my Gamecube saves, so if you use the PSO method don't forget to use a smaller memory card!

I think the 1019s are just flaky. I've tried to only use the memory card that came with the AR when using GCNrd. As a result, I almost never (and possibly never) used the 1019 with the AR or GCNrd. One day, my 1019 just stopped being read by the GameCube. Thankfully, I had backed up most of my important saves to the AR memory card to use them for making codes. I have a bunch of 251s now. :lol

Nice screenshots. :)

crono152

Deathcraze said:
In the cruelest of fates, I forgot that using a Memory Card 1019 is not a very good idea with homebrew and thus wiped all my Gamecube saves, so if you use the PSO method don't forget to use a smaller memory card! :lol If this happened a few years ago, I would probably be incredibly pissed but it gives me a good reason to play through all my games again.

I kind of wish I knew this beforehand too as I lost all my re4 saves and my level 60 I had in pso along with a nice super monkey ball save I had going. But I'm not really pissed since I haven't played any of them in a while. I need some kind of device to transfer my saves off one of my smaller cards so I can use that in case one of those gets corrupted.

Updated OP.

Deathcraze said:
Whoa, that sure sucks. I backed up all my savegames to the computer with CTR-GCS in order to avoid that drama. You can only write them back to official Nintendo cards however, it destroys the data on any other card if you attempt a recovery of your savegames.

BTW: GCNrd always destroys my official Nintendo 251 blocks memory card data. I don't know why, but I never really got it to save the network information on the card. Wouldn't I have to input all those unnerving settings anymore (IPs) if it worked? I've got a PAL GameCube, but I thought the hardware was region-free anyway.

watkinzez

Despite all the praise Wind Waker's visuals get, they need to be HD to truly be timeless.
So, er, get on that, Nintendo.

scarybore

Prime Blue said:
Whoa, that sure sucks. I backed up all my savegames to the computer with CTR-GCS in order to avoid that drama. You can only write them back to official Nintendo cards however, it destroys the data on any other card if you attempt a recovery of your savegames.

Indeed it does. I tried CTR-GCS a few years back and as far as I remember, it also didn't recognise the 1019 memory card so unless the program has been updated I don't think it would have worked in my case anyway. I always use official memory cards as I've had friends have awful experiences with unofficial N64/PSX memory cards back in the day and I just don't trust them so that wasn't a factor for me with my trouble. Better to pay more for a bit of security I say.

BTW: GCNrd always destroys my official Nintendo 251 blocks memory card data. I don't know why, but I never really got it to save the network information on the card. Wouldn't I have to input all those unnerving settings anymore (IPs) if it worked? I've got a PAL GameCube, but I thought the hardware was region-free anyway.

I won't try it with one of my 251 memory cards either then, but 59 cards work perfectly well in my experience and yes, you don't have to input the network settings again due to the save file it creates.

Either way, if I get a bit more free time tonight I'll try and add some more Viewtiful Joe images to my prior post.

Deathcraze said:
I won't try it with one of my 251 memory cards either then, but 59 cards work perfectly well in my experience and yes, you don't have to input the network settings again due to the save file it creates.

Either way, if I get a bit more free time tonight I'll try and add some more Viewtiful Joe images to my prior post.
Ah, thanks for that information. I'll try to trade my unofficial 59 card with the official one of one of my relatives. That should do the trick.

Looking forward to more of your shots, too.
I like how this thread got revived and more and more people contribute to it.

Also: If you tell me a few of your games, I could upload some saves for them (I don't think that "SaveTheCube" site over at Chicobello is still up) - AFAIK, some frontend for CTR-GCS I have on my computer at home has a region conversion tool. But I guess it's better for you to do some fresh playthroughs, just for nostalgia's sake.

EDIT: A quick check confirmed that GameFAQs has a lot of GCIs up.

MarkusRJR

I'm not too surprised that Wind Waker holds up exceptionally well, but I'm surprised f-zero looks fantastic (as I haven't played the game before, and one of my old friends who owned it said it looked like a bad Dreamcast game).

Also, as I can't seem to find any other recent Gamecube related threads, so I'll ask this here. I've recently gotten a new Gamecube, and I'm gonna be buying 5 new gamecube games. I would buy more than just 5, but I am going to buy a new Wii (The one I have right now is going to possibly be given to a friend). I can't seem to decide out of these games [all I know is that I want the full Metroid Prime trilogy (I already have Metroid Prime 3), and a good multiplayer game or two]:

-Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Mario Kart: Double dash
-Metroid Prime
-Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
-Star Fox Adventures (I'm a huge Star Fox and Zelda fan, so it seems like I'd like it)
-Star Fox Assault
-Chibi-Robo
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (I'd be playing single player only)
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (I have a set of bongo's already, and I'm looking for something else to use them with other than just with Donkey Konga)

PS. For anyone wondering, my old Wii went through "meh" customer service. I sent it in for disc read errors, and got it back scratch-coated (imagine 1st generation white iPod nanos) and with my SD card slot broken. I'm gonna be sending it in again, and because one of my friends is wanting one badly, I'm gonna give the Wii to her once I get it back repaired.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, those Beyond Good & Evil shots are interesting. For some reason, the GC version seems to be lacking the depth of field that is used in every other version of the game.

Boerseun

Banned
dark10x said:
Hmm, those Beyond Good & Evil shots are interesting. For some reason, the GC version seems to be lacking the depth of field that is used in every other version of the game.

The Gamecube was the primary development platform. This version is also commonly perceived to be the best looking, best sounding and best playing.

Perhaps depth of field was used in the other versions to hide deficiencies?

batbeg

Yaceka said:
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (I'd be playing single player only)

I'm one of these rare people who enjoyed playing this game single-player, but even so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. If you're just looking for an RPG, I'd recommend Baten Kaitos Origins or Tales of Symphonia over it. However, if you are looking to get this one specific game, I can say I found it to be very fun (enough for me to buy a second time!).

Yaceka said:
-Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Metroid Prime
-Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
-Star Fox Adventures (I'm a huge Star Fox and Zelda fan, so it seems like I'd like it)
-Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (I have a set of bongo's already, and I'm looking for something else to use them with other than just with Donkey Konga)

There you go. I've taken out some FFCC and Chibi Robo because - while good - I doubt you'd get the best out of FFCC in single-player, and Chibi Robo is quite an acquired taste. Star Fox Assault is out because it's pretty ropey, and you'd really have to persevere to get what little fun there is out of it. Double Dash!! is out because - IMO, anyway - it's inferior to MKWii and you'll have more fun with the five games I've left on the list. I'm not a big SFA fan, but if you like the series and Zelda then I think you'd get a kick out of it - it is very much a Rare game, though, if you know what I mean.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Those shots give me this itch to go play WW again. =S :D I've replayed WW over 10 times. TP? Never, beat it once and it gathered dust.

Speevy

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
see, I do love my Wii, but it felt real good when your console used to obliterate the others in terms of sheer horsepower

Few developers used the Gamecube in a way that was commensurate with its power, and far fewer use the power the Wii has.

It's as though most developers went from using the Gamecube like a PS2 to using the Wii like a Dreamcast.

scarybore

Prime Blue said:
Ah, thanks for that information. I'll try to trade my unofficial 59 card with the official one of one of my relatives. That should do the trick.

Looking forward to more of your shots, too.
I like how this thread got revived and more and more people contribute to it. :)

Also: If you tell me a few of your games, I could upload some saves for them (I don't think that "SaveTheCube" site over at Chicobello is still up) - AFAIK, some frontend for CTR-GCS I have on my computer at home has a region conversion tool. But I guess it's better for you to do some fresh playthroughs, just for nostalgia's sake. ;-)

EDIT: A quick check confirmed that GameFAQs has a lot of GCI up.

Thanks for the offer, but at the moment I'm quite happy to play through most of them again (especially Wind Waker, which is a game I have been planning to replay for a long time). F-Zero GX might require some code action down the line as I don't think I could handle doing the story mode over again as I remember it being a hellish kick to the balls.

Updated my Viewtiful Joe post with more images.

A small update: Today we're going to rescue Macole from the Forbidden Forest, conquer Ganondorf's curse over the Great Sea, scale the Tower of the Gods and visit the sealed Hyrule Castle.

esrara.png

352f42p.png

qqnzt3.png

2pr7eoz.png

bg8h8p.png

219w9yr.png

24lodp3.png

e8x4m0.png

1z5ook1.png

os9xyw.png

211t63k.png

5ebfkn.png

e6dgjo.png

3307byg.png

qn6v44.png

zvdeh1.png

29xue5h.png

29xaiyd.png

x5t5dd.png

24uvzsz.png

2drucdu.png

osr6ko.png

33pdm4j.png

25jczrm.png

2e3uclf.png

2m806s6.png

ve7p53.png

2hhqg08.png

ivifc2.png

16a669x.png

1o6h36.png

2qsw8qg.png

15ea695.png

29vxsm8.png

30dea69.png

axdwqx.png

r8cuf4.png

2jbql5l.png

imqmmg.png

2e2krbt.png

wlsvpl.png

2gyanb7.png

1zdoqqa.png

9jdb9x.png

ekoju1.png

142haw1.png

124kih5.png

m7uv08.png

o8uond.png

294hssm.png

29yf3fk.png

2h3vqqg.png

16c4ze8.png

2ynse40.png

2wohp38.png

15exc7.png

20hvdg.png

23svtye.png

Sealed Hyrule Castle...best moment in GameCube gaming?

Stalfos

bigmakstudios said:
And why the tantalizing shots of Beyond Good and Evil... :(
I want to play it, but the Gamecube version costs an arm and a leg (unless I could find it used at a Gamestop), and the Xbox version is incompatible with the Xbox 360.
Microsoft, if you're reading this, please add Beyond Good and Evil to the next Xbox 360 backwards compatibility update, if there will be one.
I know Microsoft isn't reading this
What its not on the BC list? I guess I hadn't looked before but I was hoping it would get put on XBOX originals so that more people could play it and maybe help the chances for a sequel.

I have the GC version. Picked it up a couple years ago when it was already fairly hard to find, and I'm very glad that I got a hold of it definitely one of my favorite games on the GC. I was actually thinking about playing it again soon.

D.Lo

Anasui Kishibe said:
see, I do love my Wii, but it felt real good when your console used to obliterate the others in terms of sheer horsepower
You're right, but what good was it when the vast majority of the public thought the GCN was the least powerful, and 3rd party multi-plats were at best decent PS2 ports (while in some companies' cases the xbox would get a ground-up engine by a much better team, see Splinter Cell etc), and at worst nasty, feature missing downgrades of the PS2 versions. The GameCube was absolute proof that the best product never wins, as it was by far the best engineered and best value system of last gen from a hardware perspective.

At least now with the Wii the public's impression of it's capabilities is largely correct.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Wii said:
Nintendo totally needs to release Wind Waker for Wii with Wii controls and widescreen mode

I'd rather PC, then we can get these excellent visuals at any resolution. Just think of the crispness.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Argh, Prime Blue, you stopped at the best part. Should take some pics of full colored underwater Hyrule.

PolyGone said:
the next Zelda should be celshaded but starring a Link who looks like this

294hssm.png

Better, but still too deformed. Come on, Nintendo, give me what I've wanted since I was a kid (and what I pictured when I heard Zelda was going to be cell-shaded). This:

linkart.jpg

Again, a giant bump after a looong hiatus. This time, I finally finished the game. I feel like I spent a thousand hours on it (should be at least 200, thanks for the annoying and repetitive sidequesting, Nintendo...). Then again, that means 169 fresh direct-feed shots for you, enjoy!

v74i07.png

e5k2dx.png

2gt6fl3.png

jzw20n.png

n4xw5c.png

zk5tev.png

11bnhvc.png

2w52cg1.png

28k4wux.png

2zeihzt.png

a2u5hg.png

35au5up.png

13zwqa.png

2qmoyuf.png

6gbjnm.png

5nnblz.png

24g3cif.png

28tcsc8.png

iqk3fm.png

jr8e21.png

1g42gm.png

23tsme.png

2pts7ya.png

ei08ja.png

2nw1fdl.png

wjdusl.png

19b0xh.png

(I love that shot)

16ay241.png

e6u52h.png

an288p.png

25frort.png

n4vdy0.png

2luuww0.png

aucnfb.png

x9hdz.png

2i230pt.png

20aeaf9.png

mhx2bt.png

34rd7gw.png

359wp39.png

2e18v0k.png

2s0lpbn.png

2mpju5t.png

2v1w42d.png

aqel4.png

21d24ig.png

5nt7go.png

2lmavqp.png

ous4u0.png

eb4i06.png

2wqa81e.png

15ebukg.png

vijvjs.png

ih7fis.png

bi6jdh.png

23rq1bn.png

20uznk8.png

23vcjeu.png

2vk154o.png

651fll.png

2d97cqe.jpg

nqpan9.jpg

29erhhg.png

milzly.png

142rfix.png

2nbc113.png

11jnpqt.png

epjb50.png

2i7p8qq.png

4il8i9.png

2mmycf9.png

2wqc0mw.png

4tub8i.png

30ixngl.png

i4qu1i.png

10coqao.png

v45e6e.png

2570nyd.png

2qlz95t.png

15r019e.png

o6wmti.png

opaiop.png

3ekwo.png

10p7z3t.png

30arsjm.png

2mwc9rd.png

21abaee.png

256xrig.png

16bzdkh.png

mw8okp.png

acpg6a.png

261jgvs.png

2uszw1y.png

14ul3k6.png

1z333ft.png

20r1mv5.png

wqui4z.png

2u5ggmw.png

21ad3lu.png

dcrion.png

70xkys.png

22gaqq.png

2v35zxs.png

16kqedl.png

nphnkn.png

10zxttj.png

24lud4y.png

10moo3o.png

2zsttti.png

2s8if87.png

23j5w00.png

e62e8g.png

9u0zgz.png

4jnkba.png

2aj90k.png

2mlfr9.png

f2ow79.png

rkbjp4.png

ie46lj.png

b695de.png

xnz37s.png

m90duw.png

2i6edw.png

2dlozyr.png

2d98gpi.png

156uuww.png

2kh9ur.png

313r6fq.png

2pp08iv.png

16krl95.png

9izkhu.png

2na5evq.png

2s951n7.png

2yv3qqf.png

1415mae.png

1z5t1xy.png

34nqkxl.png

30ljig3.png

30tgjfa.png

119us2e.png

2m65ptx.png

2q0k6x5.png

dwyy5u.png

15ppeet.png

t6dl3a.png

2rh49l5.png

2da1449.png

oatzb8.png

358282u.png

95n7sm.png

1zokh1i.png

w05aoo.png

zx5e06.png

2e1tzes.png

15eh0td.png

2cqll5x.png

2w1vcb5.png

2gtn5oy.png

30uydl4.png

vqsewm.png

i2j9rt.png

2v3ndck.png

rj07m9.png

2lu9xeg.png

1zf2bk1.png

ibb2nq.png

4jxmag.png

34i607c.png

2agq7nb.png

And...bonus (I guess it's okay to break the image width rule in an image thread):

25740m0.png

Trivia: All of the windows are perfectly symmetrical except for the forest one.

Also, TinyPic seems to have width constraints, so it resizes the original 2304x256 file, which you can get at ImageShack instead (at least as long as it's hosted there).

epmode

Christ, Wind Waker looks incredible.

Attention, everyone responsible for Twilight Princess' art style: Kill yourselves

Minsc

Gold Member
This thread must be a record speed for the amount of images my browser just loaded, I'd love to know how many megs I downloaded in under 20 seconds just now, I knew it was coming, just not this bad :lol

WW's graphics have aged wonderfully.

News Bot

Banned
Prime Blue said:
Check the links in the OP.

Those Zero screens are from FMV sequences that aren't even in the game. (they are considerably worse quality on the disk)

So far there's just REmake. =/

Top Bottom