• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dismissal of Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Donkey-Kong-Country-Tropical-Freeze-01.png

I know this game has been talked about so many times. However I just want to really dig deep and understand why a game that is beautifully crafted and given a lot of love by the developers was rejected so harshly by Nintendo fans and even the media. I understand that many people wanted a new game or Metroid from Retro, but the amount of hate and flack it got was extreme. Is it that people think that Donkey Kong as a property is beneath Retro? Or is it because 2D games are seen as low budget throwaway games that don't come close to 3D games? Which I find as a joke because Tropical Freeze imo is one of the most complex games in terms of gameplay and level designs than most 3d games I have played.

Anyways it breaks my heart how one of the best platformers if not best game on the WiiU imo was rejected by lots of people including a lot of people on GAF. To the point I feel like it almost destroyed the series. I fear that if Retro were to do another Donkey Kong game it would see a bigger backlash even if Retro were the ones that wanted to make another one.

This video right here pretty much sums up some of things I feel about the backlash Tropical Freeze got. Also it would be nice to see some other peoples insight on this topic and how they feel about the rejection the game got leading to its release.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I would say it's 100% because it wasn't a new Metroid. In any other scenario it likely would've been warmly welcomed.

GOOCHY

Re-release it on the Switch Virtual Console. The timing is perfect for it. It's early in the systems lifespan and there is a dearth of good software. The 2d platforming lends itself perfectly to the handheld mode of the Switch, too. I think if they did that it would get the recognition it deserves.

It's a good game, beautiful to look at, it's just too hard. I never finished it. I did beat DKCR on Wii and 3DS though, which I preferred through and through.

Would I prefer that Retro make another Metroid Prime game? Of course. Does that effect my take on Tropical Freeze either way? Nope.

Gu4n

I would personally take another Donkey Kong Country game by Retro over a new Metroid Prime game by Retro.

Wasn't it GameStop who said levels were bland or something. DKCTF the most wronged game of all time in my opinion. It's probably the best 2D platformer of all time and because people were mad it wasn't Metroid they took it out on DKCTF.

PedroRVD

Definitely in my top ten ever.

Greatest soundtrack of all time. I thought nothing would beat DKC2.

Needs another chance on Switch. Would buy it again.

StarPhlox

This seems kinda strange to me, to be honest. Most people were disappointed at the reveal perhaps, but I think after it released Tropical Freeze has generally been considered--especially on gaf--as one of the best 2D platformers in years.

I mean to me it is legitimately the best 2D platformer the world has seen and it's in my top 5 GOAT list. Tropical Freeze is a million seller and I don't think it was a disappointment to Nintendo or Retro and I would be very surprised if we didn't get a port of TF for the Switch in the next year and a sequel in its lifetime.

phanphare

Banned
half because it wasn't a new Metroid game and half because it didn't utilize the unique features of the Wii U

if you read some reviews for Tropical Freeze you'll see a lot of the "it's a good game but is it a good Wii U game" sentiment

basically some dumb shit that had nothing to do with the actual game

Raxus

I remember the promotion for this game and people giving a lot of shit for the Cranky Kong reveal. Now it is much more fondly remembered but it never got the audience it deserved. A re-release on the Switch would be sublime.

Shahed

I like Metroid. I'm not interested in platformers. That's enough for me to dismiss this game. I do the same to Mario

That's not to say I was angry about it though, just disappointed. It wasn't what I wanted so I moved on and that was that. I never complained or talked about it again after the initial reveal.

Marcel

I bought it and never finished it. I think it ultimately spoke to more of my lack of interest in Donkey Kong than my want of new Metroid. I've made peace with the possibility that Metroid as I would want it is dead.

T.O.P

Banned
I would say it's 100% because it wasn't a new Metroid. In any other scenario it likely would've been warmly welcomed.

Yup

I'd buy it in a Collection for Switch but i was rather pissed at the time to see Retro working on fuckin DK

wrowa

It was yet another platformer on a console that was starving for everything but platformers. It's imo the best game of its genre on Wii U, but the console's line up was screaming for more variety at that point.

Maffis

I guess it is because people wanted Retro, a very talented studio, to do something else rather than another 2D platformer. I still think both games were really good, albeit a little to frustrating with some trial-and-error stuff in the second one. But they definitely have the know-how to do something more grandeur.

I still think people overreacted as hell when it was announced though. People seem to forget that Retro did the same type of game for like a decade so for them a breath of fresh air was probably warranted.

It was the another in a line of 2d platformers on a platform swamped in 2d platformers, (public opinion said, not stating my opinion here) and not much else.

That's basically it. The early push of 2d mario and indie games meant people had lots to choose from on the 2d platformer front, and Gaffers wanted something in pretty much any other genre out of Retro.

Gestault

I agree that the game is quality, but ya'll need to drop this "the best platformer ever made" line. Do you want double backlash? Because that's how you get double backlash. Even for a game that's up there among Nintendo's best, and that's saying something.

In the constructive criticism category, the game is brilliant single-player and trash co-op. I almost ruined it for myself by playing co-op my first time around.

teeny

Yeah, it was basically the backlash for Retro making another (fucking) Donkey Kong game when everyone, it seems, wants a new Metroid Prime.

It didn't matter how good the game was (and it is easily in the upper echelon of 2D platformers), it was always going to be received coolly. Personally, it would be great and hilarious if Retro's next game is DKCR3.

Definitely in my top ten ever.

Greatest soundtrack of all time. I thought nothing would beat DKC2.

Needs another chance on Switch. Would buy it again.

Agreed on all points. Also I don't agree with the poster above about it being too hard. But I guess that's a bit subjective perhaps. I mean I can't play Shovel knight as I find it too difficult but DKCTF was fine for me, albeit a few tough bosses.

J@hranimo

Banned
Maybe I didn't lurk hard enough in 2014, but were Nintendo fans really that harsh on it?

I honestly need to get this game, it's like the last big Wii U game I would get for the console but I just don't feel like booting it up much these days.

DMONKUMA

Legitimately I passed the game off as for a couple reasons....

1) I didn't have a Wii U
2) Don't much for the IP

Though I've seen gaf praised it to be one of the best games made by Nintendo......so is it really that good?

eXistor

It's a great game but I agree that it's mostly the perception that retro "should have" made a new Metroid. They went from an epic 3D exploration game to a 2D cartoony platformer. I think Retro should do whatever they want to do, but I do think that's where its dismissal comes from. Personally, I bought both, but I never cared for DKC much. I never even liked the snes games, they're amongst my personally most overrated games.

Tropical Freeze was a great game but it was really sadly a victim of circumstance.

- The Wii U and 3DS were full of 2D platformers as it was (between NSMB2 and NSMBU being barely months apart, Yarn Yoshi, and even 3D Land taking design directions from the 2D Mario games)

- People were hoping Retro's first, major HD game would be something "big" and different to turn the Wii U ship around - nobody saw a DKCR sequel coming, and at a glance were underwhelmed by how it looked as their first HD game, and it had to fight the stigma of being "the game they spent 3 years working on"

- The Wii U bombing meant that a lot of the mainstream audience who bought DKCR and possibly would have been interested in a sequel, were cut off from buying it

- There were also conspiracies people came up with that Nintendo made Retro work on TF instead of a different IP to follow up on DKCR's high sales, but Retro shot this down almost immediately

- And of course, Metroid fans who would have been upset for any combination of the above reasons, plus bitterness at the long time since a good Metroid game had been out on consoles and hoping the Wii U would give it its resurgence

All these things contributed to the backlash the announcement got at the end, but I think it probably was the Metroid and platformer stuff that really brought out the worst from people. It really is one of the best platformers ever made, but the context it was revealed in led to a lot of ugliness. It's a real shame.

EDIT - I also don't think it helped that it was announced just a couple weeks after the 3DS port of DKC Returns was released.

JaseMath

Probably because it wasn't necessary. It didn't do anything better than DKCR and it was one of the few Nintendo first-party games I've ever resold.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Way better than the first and had a stellar OST. Held back by not being Metroid and being on Wii U.

I bet a large number of people who would have played this in a heartbeat passed it up because they couldn't justify buying a Wii U.

phanphare

Banned
I guess it is because people wanted Retro, a very talented studio, to do something else rather than another 2D platformer. I still think both games were really good, albeit a little to frustrating with some trial-and-error stuff in the second one. But they definitely have the know-how to do something more grandeur.

I still think people overreacted as hell when it was announced though. People seem to forget that Retro did the same type of game for like a decade so for them a breath of fresh air was probably warranted.

there is no trial and error stuff, everything is telegraphed

I agree that the game is quality, but ya'll need to drop this "the best platformer ever made" line. Do you want double backlash? Because that's how you get double backlash.

In the constructive criticism category, the game is brilliant single-player and trash co-op. I almost ruined it for myself by playing co-op my first time around.

it's my personal favorite 2D platformer of all time, threatening backlash isn't going to change my opinion. what a silly thing to suggest.

Maybe I didn't lurk hard enough in 2014, but were Nintendo fans really that harsh on it?

I honestly need to get this game, it's like the last big Wii U game I would get for the console but I just don't feel like booting it up much these days.
People were PISSED OFF. They wanted Retro to make Metroid or just a big game in general. It was bad.

Metroid fans are so toxic that it affects other franchises.
jk...kind of

Personally I'm not super into the game and the Wii U Probably didn't need another 2D platformer at that time. It's a quality enough game though I'm surprised how similar it was going back to the first one on 3DS.

No, I 100% hated the game. It wasn't for me. The platforming has and will always feel off to me. I've tried to see what others have several times but couldn't do it. I do not take away from the design and great soundtrack, but this mechanics and physics were not for me. Plus, it came out too soon after the first game. Felt like it was being shoved down our throats.

I want a New Donkey Kong developed by Retro. After that they can go to make all the metroids they want. But first finish the trilogy!

Marjorine

I really hope they do a version for the Switch. I owned a Wii U, but it was mostly a Smash/Kart machine, and I didn't use it all that much.

I'd buy a Switch version of this game in a second.

ugoo18

From my understanding it was the wrong game at the wrong time on a system somewhat overflowing with 2D platformers from Nintendo. It came across as tone deaf and kind of safe especially with the secrecy and hiring that Retro made leading upto its announcement. It's one thing to have a 2D DK revival near the mid to tail end of the Wii's life but for Nintendo's first foray into HD people's mind ran wild with the possibilities only to get a glut of 2D platformers. That's not saying they are lesser games but they weren't what people expected from Nintendo's foray into HD. Especially when the 3DS seemed to be getting the lions share of Nintendo's more ambitious efforts.

As something of a 2D platformer fanatic, Tropical Freeze is probably the GOAT in that category. At the very least, I don't think there's a reasonable explanation for not giving it a top 5 spot. It's a masterpiece.

It also has one of the greatest video game OSTs ever, and I say that as someone who ravenously consumes video game scores.

sheaaaa

It's one of the best games, potentially THE best, in a genre that isn't hugely popular or fashionable among core gamers, carefully crafted by a studio said gamers emotionally link to a much more beloved series, on a console that nobody gave a shit about.

TheMoon

I think you summed it up right there, OP.

It's the cocktail of doom: Not-Metroid(TM), Another 2D Platformer(R) plus the baseline problem of being on Wii U and maybe the push from Holiday to February wasn't so ideal.

The game itself is simply flawless (overlooking the problem of no headset audio support on the GamePad when playing on the TV).

Fucking Cranky Kong

Is the best thing about the game.

Legitimately I passed the game off as for a couple reasons....

1) I didn't have a Wii U
2) Don't much for the IP

Though I've seen gaf praised it to be one of the best games made by Nintendo......so is it really that good?
Yes, it's the best 2D platformer on the Wii U, and one of the best 2D platformers ever. Everything about the game is done right, the level design is perfect, the music is amazing, and the graphics are bright and colorful and full of detail.

No, I 100% hated the game. It wasn't for me. The platforming has and will always feel off to me. I've tried to see what others have several times but couldn't do it. I do not take away from the design and great soundtrack, but this mechanics and physics were not for me. Plus, it came out too soon after the first game. Felt like it was being shoved down our throats.

It came out four years after Returns!

It's a great game but anything that wasn't the Metroid Prime 4, Startropics or Raven Blade that fans hyped themselves into believing that Retro would be making was going to face a backlash that year. In my case, I was just over 2D platformers at that moment.

Probably because it wasn't necessary. It didn't do anything better than DKCR and it was one of the few Nintendo first-party games I've ever resold.

It did everything better than Returns, what. Did Returns have waggle free controls and a soundtrack by David Wise?

Ferr986

I know this game has been talked about so many times. However I just want to really dig deep and understand why a game that is beautifully crafted and given a lot of love by the developers was rejected so harshly by Nintendo fans and even the media.

Was it? I mean, after the announcement and the initial dissapointing on not being a new Metroid, every time I see discussion about this game people talk about it like a new holy grail of platforming games. I really don't see how today you could talk about this game being rejected harshly.

Top Bottom