• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 has died

VertigoOA

Banned

It is no longer in the top 50 games on Xbox most played games. And that list should be a accurate snapshot of the U.s. gamer.

Fallout 76 succeeds where Division, Anthem and Monster Hunter fail... player retention. they got Bethesda-pwned.

First game did exceptionally well even at the end of its life... this is kinda surprising but I didn’t even bother to play the second game to know what happened for it to fall off a cliff like it did.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I loved the first game, I just felt that the change in venue was a mistake. All the videos I watched seemed to suggest the world in the second game was forgettable. The snowy, lonely NYC location was a character in itself.

As someone who’s been working in Midtown West for the last 8 years... yea I loved the setting of the first game so the setting change definitely took away a lot of interest.

However, I also believe that a realistic setting would hurt a rpg, loot shooter... you need fantasy and crazy enemies to make sense of the power fantasy of building a character who decked out in all sorts of destruction.

thief183

Well, the game at startwas really awesome, then they decided to remove all the cool itemization and put there sutpid ideas. The PVP was pathetic and the darkzone useless.... They have bet on the wrong side of the game.

Zerotex

I really liked the first one and i bought the second when it was released but i didnt played more then 10 hours. Im trying to get back to it just to finish the campaign.

Inviusx

It is no longer in the top 50 games on Xbox most played games. And that list should be a accurate snapshot of the U.s. gamer.

Fallout 76 succeeds where Division, Anthem and Monster Hunter fail... player retention. they got Bethesda-pwned.

First game did exceptionally well even at the end of its life... this is kinda surprising but I didn’t even bother to play the second game to know what happened for it to fall off a cliff like it did.

Don't sleep on Fallout 76!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I like the game but for whatever reason the way it's set up just never hooked me. Everything felt really complicated and impossible to follow and figure out.

As someone who’s been working in Midtown West for the last 8 years... yea I loved the setting of the first game so the setting change definitely took away a lot of interest.

However, I also believe that a realistic setting would hurt a rpg, loot shooter... you need fantasy and crazy enemies to make sense of the power fantasy of building a character who decked out in all sorts of destruction.

Small world, I'm in Battery Park 👊😁

iNvid02

I loved the first game, I just felt that the change in venue was a mistake. All the videos I watched seemed to suggest the world in the second game was forgettable. The snowy, lonely NYC location was a character in itself.

I gotta agree with this. The vibe from a winter wasteland NYC during Christmas was perfect. It made roleplaying much easier too. Add to that the noveltly factor of a new IP/game and it kept me hooked for ages

VertigoOA

Banned
I gotta agree with this. The vibe from a winter wasteland NYC during Christmas was perfect. It made roleplaying much easier too. Add to that the noveltly factor of a new IP/game and it kept me hooked for ages

yup it felt like Batman returns ....

Playing the first game during winter was magical. The setting and atmosphere were so good! Perfect Christmas game.
Who cares about Washington DC in summer?
They'd better fix whatever RPG bullshit doesn't work by the time the Avatar game is released...

Last edited:
It was exactly the same with me, totally bland setting compared to the first game.
My friends and I played the game at release, then dropped it hard. Didn't even need talking about it...just moved on. Someone above mentioned the harsh conditions of NYC made it its own character. About right really. Div2 ran really well, and was quite fun. Just no hook to keep going.

DanielsM

Banned
Sometimes its hard to refill the gas when you ran out.

giphy.gif

makaveli60

They should have kept the snowy setting but move it to a European city. Would have been instabuy.

Digity

Loved the first one, played through it on Ps4 and PC. Recently picked up Division 2 for PC when it was on sale. Absolutely loving this game, it's everything the first one was plus more. Banged out the campaign now it's on to the end game, level up and start some raids.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
actually when i say i never went back to it.... i never went back to it to play. only times i loaded it up were to run the benchmark to test my CPU/GPU performance. it's a demanding game, i'll give it that...

Ozrimandias

The Division 2 hasnt got me yet, ive got the game but.. Washington isn't interesting (to me) to explore, also, theres a notorious graphical downgrade between the first and the second game. Ubisoft tend to do this.... the first Assassin Creed looked better than the second.

GenericUser

Cool Idea, terrible execution. Weapon feedback was horrible, shooting in general felt really bad compared to the competitors in this genre. "Tom Clancy" license didn't help as well, quite the opposite I think. Being restricted to strictly human enemies killed the rest of interest, I had for the game.

The idea and the setting are promising, the devs in charge just weren't competent enough to form an enjoyable experience around this core-idea and concept. A well deserved death.

Winter John

I liked the first one. I really wanted to like this one but everytime I've tried it I've got bored after the first 20 minutes. It seems like they really went all in on turning it into a luggage opening sim.

Shifty

The top 50 doesn't mean squat. New stuff comes out, players move on, and a dedicated few stick around as the 'niche' playerbase. Business as usual.

But that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Division 2 give up the ghost. Never did see the appeal of a patriot fetishist military looter shooter with bullet sponge enemies.

Last edited:

ViolentP

I had a grand time with this when it first came out. Played it on the X for some reason but landed with a really good clan and we ended up being one of the first to complete that raid. It's been longer than I'd like to admit since I stayed up till 4am on a worknight trying to finish a game.

Shame to see it go but I had my time.

VertigoOA

Banned
The top 50 doesn't mean squat. New stuff comes out, players move on, and a dedicated few stick around as the 'niche' playerbase. Business as usual.

But that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Division 2 give up the ghost. Never did see the appeal of a patriot fetishist military looter shooter with bullet sponge enemies.

Dropping out of the top 50 would mean it has shit for an active player base, and that’s what matters most. Not Retail launches, but player rentention and steady revenue streams..

The first game never dropped off like that. Destiny 2 in its deadest of times never fell down that much either. Neither has fallout. In fact, fallout 76 has outpaced division the entire time aside for division’s launch month. And that’s supposed to be some dumpster fire and dead game right?

when there’s an active player base less than 5k for a game of this scale... it’s dead

they can turn it around but it would take many content drops and whatever else the community wants.

I don’t have much faith in piecemealing free dlc For these games. For what players demand, it’s the kind of stuff you pay for if not expecting it to just be Small scale bullshit.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

How is this game alone? I got it last year with my graphics card and never installed it.

And monster hunter fail? Maybe on Xbox but PC last I checked it had over 55,000 playing. this actually surprised the sh*t outta me . I can barely even join a room on ps4 with more than 2 people in it and my SOS go unanswered quite a bit

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Everybody tried.
But even with all mistakes, flaws and hate Bungie is the only one being successful with that type of game since 2014.

Depends on the word "successful", I guess Bungie was successful but not so sure about the publisher. Managing one large game is very tough, trying to manage 4-10 years of huge updates is very risky.

RaptorGTA

I really loved the first one. I enjoyed the second a lot too but there is something about the first one that the second couldn't capture. I played the hell out of Division 2 but once I stopped I just didnt feel like going back. It was also hard to find people to play with when wanting to do missions/events. I know they've made a lot of improvements but I got COD: MW, Witcher 3 on Switch and World of Warship to play..Just dont have time for it any more.

jaysius

Banned
Ubi is on a losing streak. I hope the new Watchdogs turns out well.

I lost all hope after Breakpoint, the Ubi design philosohpy is "dogpile the worst features from all the previous releases into the next one, even if the ideas don't fit the game IP" so Underdogs will be somehow worse than Breakpoint. I'll be proud of Ubi if Underdogs is more of a sequel to Underdogs 2 instead of just the next succession of this garbage they've been building on. Honestly I hope it's better than Underdogs 2, I enjoyed Underdogs 1 but I couldn't get into 2 at all, it suffered from the bad open world design that Ubi had going at that time, partially my fault because I had open world fatigue when I got around to playing it coming off of The Witcher 3.

Bolivar687

Banned
The only conclusion I could draw from the beta was that The Division 2 was made by a B-Team while the real talent at Massive went to work on the Avatar game they announced shortly after TD1.

The missions were what really gave it away. There were no memorable, large shootouts spaced throughout the missions like the first game, the level design felt so small, cramped, weird and bad. The art design clearly did not have the same level of attention, care, or character that TD1 had. Even the movement and animations felt nowhere near as fluid or responsive. After the beta, I went back to TD1 to make sure I wasn't crazy and it honestly reminded me of going from PUBG to Call of Duty.

Even in its post-launch repetitiveness, TD1 was still always so fun and interesting to play. I had naturally assumed that this game was going to completely take over all my free time and now, it's so bizarre to think about how it just came and went.

I gotta say, i actually enjoyed Division 2 a great deal. Wonder how its doing on the PC, cause thats where i played. Wasn't the PC version the one that sold the most by far anyways?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I picked it up a few weeks ago for 70% off. I've been playing it here and there on PC and having a generally good time with it. Playing solo because that's how I do.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was really disappointed with Division 2. As others have stated, the great atmosphere of the first game was destroyed. Maybe I am biased as I live in NYC and work in midtown, but I've played lots of non-NYC games so I don't think that is it. The gameplay didn't feel as fun, the combat encounters weren't as enjoyable, the progression wasn't as interesting, and the story/campaign felt like more of a soulless grind.

As with Destiny 2, I don't know why these devs throw out games with a long history, lots of content, and finely tuned mechanics that are built to accommodate the people playing. It's like you are starting the whole nightmare process over again. Why not just release an expansion? Set it in DC if you want, just keep the game that people like.

Just like Destiny 2, it's like the devs built the game for good reviews from people who played the game for 15 hours before release.

CEO of the company said the game underperformed, so there you go. Division 1 was actually one of the most popular games of this gen, despite what you may think of the premise.

Last edited:
I was really disappointed with Division 2. As others have stated, the great atmosphere of the first game was destroyed. Maybe I am biased as I live in NYC and work in midtown, but I've played lots of non-NYC games so I don't think that is it. The gameplay didn't feel as fun, the combat encounters weren't as enjoyable, the progression wasn't as interesting, and the story/campaign felt like more of a soulless grind.

As with Destiny 2, I don't know why these devs throw out games with a long history, lots of content, and finely tuned mechanics that are built to accommodate the people playing. It's like you are starting the whole nightmare process over again. Why not just release an expansion? Set it in DC if you want, just keep the game that people like.

Just like Destiny 2, it's like the devs built the game for good reviews from people who played the game for 15 hours before release.

CEO of the company said the game underperformed, so there you go. Division 1 was actually one of the most popular games of this gen, despite what you may think of the premise.
This. Going from division or destiny to their respective sequels was a jarring step backwards in pretty much every way. Titanfall made the same mistake with the multiplayer.

Shifty

Underperformed doesn't mean died, per se, but Yves is certainly a more credible source than a top 50 list.

Last edited:
I had some fun with it but that's about it. I played almost 1k hours of the first game... meanwhile the second one I'm almost not playing anymore, with <200h.

I was all-in on Div2 at launch, after about 70 hours it was clear only certain builds were viable. I was big in electronics/skill power build in Div1 and it felt useless in Div2 so I have up. Tying everything to mods only for skills was a huge mistake IMO

Top Bottom