• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 has died

EDMIX

I loved the first game, I just felt that the change in venue was a mistake. All the videos I watched seemed to suggest the world in the second game was forgettable. The snowy, lonely NYC location was a character in itself.

I disagree. I think they are correct to change location as its a sequel. To keep it in the same location makes no sense. I think the game simply had other issues and I think moving on from one title to the other had many feeling left behind.

I think next gen, they should do The Division 3 of course, but instead of doing The Division 4 or 5 after, they should actually simply update the current world to go further, expanded etc. The player base stays together, it builds off of a existing area etc. I think games like this, folks invest a lot of time into it and maybe are not willing keep buying many sequels to do it over again during a gen.

Edit. I might buy The Division 2 used as I don't care for the series enough to care about any of the huge MP stuff, I'd just play its single player stuff and then move on.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
I had huge hope for this one after the way they turned the first one around. Unfortunately, they took everything they learned from the first game and everything they added to the first game, and just threw it all out the window? Like, Division 2 is an incredibly confusing game to me. It's going through ALL of the same hiccups the first game went through. End-game isnt that great. Itemization is awful. Gear sets suck. It just makes no sense. I figured all that stuff would be behind them after having worked on the first game. Instead it's like they tried to recreate all the old problems.

On top of that fact, they STILL try and seemingly balance the game around the Dark Zone and PVP. It's fucking idiotic and winds up making the PVE experience (aka what 85% of that game is) suffer. Shame really. Game had a lot of potential. Now it's just too late. I would legit rather play the first game at this point.

waylo

Banned
I was all-in on Div2 at launch, after about 70 hours it was clear only certain builds were viable. I was big in electronics/skill power build in Div1 and it felt useless in Div2 so I have up. Tying everything to mods only for skills was a huge mistake IMO
This too in addition to the things I mentioned in my post. It only made sense to just go DPS. Anything else was a waste. Making two thirds of your loot irrelevant is an awful way to balance your game.

NickFire

Got excited for this game, played it quite a bit, and then they announced there would not be matchmaking for end game stuff. By the time they walked that back I had already moved on.

I had huge hope for this one after the way they turned the first one around. Unfortunately, they took everything they learned from the first game and everything they added to the first game, and just threw it all out the window? Like, Division 2 is an incredibly confusing game to me. It's going through ALL of the same hiccups the first game went through. End-game isnt that great. Itemization is awful. Gear sets suck. It just makes no sense. I figured all that stuff would be behind them after having worked on the first game. Instead it's like they tried to recreate all the old problems.

On top of that fact, they STILL try and seemingly balance the game around the Dark Zone and PVP. It's fucking idiotic and winds up making the PVE experience (aka what 85% of that game is) suffer. Shame really. Game had a lot of potential. Now it's just too late. I would legit rather play the first game at this point.

I honestly expected Div2 to launch with nearly all the endgame content that Div1 ended up with. Maybe that’s unrealistic but I just feel it’s unacceptable for a sequel to launch so barebones

zeorhymer

Div 2 is basically an extension of Div 1, but without the DLC content. The most interesting mode in Div 1 was the survival mode DLC. I was skeptical at first, but when I started to play the mode it honestly breathed new life in to the game.

Nothing in Div 2 felt new. I honestly thought there would be much much more emphasis on the little cities, but they just ended up being quest hubs instead of something that you actually need to improve or defend. Such wasted potential.

waylo

Banned
Oh, another thing I'd like to mention is the fact that Massive only knows how to balance the game by just nerfing everything. This has to do with their DZ/PVP-first mindset, but man does it make things just not fun. It's like they actively try and stop the playerbase from having fun. It fucking sucks.

I honestly expected Div2 to launch with nearly all the endgame content that Div1 ended up with. Maybe that’s unrealistic but I just feel it’s unacceptable for a sequel to launch so barebones
My friends and I were the same way. Then it had none of it and we were all just like
evG03rz.gif

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Honestly besides the pvp/dark zone and endgame stuff, you know what stopped me from playing The Division 2? The fucking atmosphere. The snowy zones, the xmas decorations felt really nice in the first game, unique even. Its weird how such a simple thing made the game better than the second one, to me at least.

Last edited:
Loved the first game and enjoyed the 2nd, Haven't even attempted the 2 new Pentagon missions by myself as i couldn't find a way to matchmake for them.

MiguelItUp

I'm both surprised it didn't last longer, and not surprised it didn't. I felt like there was a lot more hype and talk revolving around the first game. Its sequel was talked about quite a bit for the first week, but then I swear I almost heard nothing about it. So unfortunate.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m working on the proper division sequel right now

E16-F0403-D8-A8-40-A9-B4-DE-132-E11-BBC44-C.jpg

* don’t steal my photos please*

There is no doubt ghost recon breakpoint going the looter shooter rpg route cannibilazed division 2’s playerbase as well.

Last edited:
Div 2 is basically an extension of Div 1, but without the DLC content. The most interesting mode in Div 1 was the survival mode DLC. I was skeptical at first, but when I started to play the mode it honestly breathed new life in to the game.

Nothing in Div 2 felt new. I honestly thought there would be much much more emphasis on the little cities, but they just ended up being quest hubs instead of something that you actually need to improve or defend. Such wasted potential.
Yup. To make things worse, the DZ in TD2 absolutely sucks ass. They took everything that made the DZ appealing in the first game and scrapped it off.

Last edited:
I haven’t been to the dark zone yet in 2, what’s so different this time around?
It's exactly like the Light Zone. Nothing different about it at all, except for the DZ rules like having to extract contaminated equipment, etc. No different music, no different atmosphere, not even the "transmissions jammed" message when entering the DZ. It's just more of the same, boring.

ksdixon

Couple of notes from a fairly new player, say 1-3 months

- They turned the Pulse skill in Division 2 into utter crap.
- Base Of Operations was a mess, I much perferred the three ''wings'' in Div1.
- The rate of loot drops seems to be heavily nerfed. I used to be filled with colored drops in Div1, in Div2 I feel lucky to even get a a white drop (health pack, ammo) at all, nevermind a colored drop.

Couple of notes from a fairly new player, say 1-3 months

- They turned the Pulse skill in Division 2 into utter crap.
- Base Of Operations was a mess, I much perferred the three ''wings'' in Div1.
- The rate of loot drops seems to be heavily nerfed. I used to be filled with colored drops in Div1, in Div2 I feel lucky to even get a a white drop (health pack, ammo) at all, nevermind a colored drop.

they basically turned all skills into utter crap, except for a couple heals. My biggest disappointment about it

HotPocket69

Banned
The OST was the best part of the game for me. I stuck it out for awhile before quitting. Just got sick of the constant flanks and spongey as fuck enemies.

Ubi just can’t get looters right. Far Cry New Dawn was also shit and I hear absolutely NO ONE talking about Breakpoint. That one really came and went like a fart in the wind.

Odyssey was all Ubi had these past few games. And they skipped AssCreed this year which was a good thing. Here's hoping they can turn things around.

VertigoOA

Banned
Odyssey was all Ubi had these past few games. And they skipped AssCreed this year which was a good thing. Here's hoping they can turn things around.

Odyssey has been holding strong. Especially impressive for a single player only game.

I think Ghost Recon will hold strong. Division would need a huge fall content drops, nearly full-sized game release to pull it off. Fallout it doing that with wastelanders. But Ghost Recon is the biggest threat to division... which makes you think why the fuck Ubisoft hurt both those ips when neither needed to release so close of each other and be the same fucking game in many ways.

problem is they’ve gone free to continue. By promising to not charge money for future content they’ve fucked themselves. We see how fallout tries to compensate with its game store and fees for private servers And they’ve been more successful than Ubisoft has been with divisionAnthem promised that... anthem got no content and died. Division promises the same thing yet isn’t pumping substantial content out frequently enough to meet player expectations, and they have at least two studios working on it.

Both Monster Hunter and Destiny will charge premium for content. Both are the biggest success stories of the generation for pve games and their cyclical end game lifespans.

I won’t knock on monster hunter. It has the players but it just doesn’t hold as many long term. It can happen with World but I don’t see Capcom ready to tackle modern online gaming as effectively as the rest.

pr0cs

To keep it in the same location makes no sense.
Been to NYC? There are TONS of locations they had sources from. Even if they left NYC they should have kept the winter theme to keep the feeling of fear, desolation, isolation, danger

Bolivar687

Banned
Been to NYC? There are TONS of locations they had sources from. Even if they left NYC they should have kept the winter theme to keep the feeling of fear, desolation, isolation, danger

Not to mention the last original content they made, expanding the Dark Zone north, had checkpoints with "CP-01" and "CP-02" signs pointing north through the doors. I guess it was always a longshot, but they slightly teased that the game was just going to expand northward, then a little after that they announced TD2 in DC looking like The Last of Us.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not to mention the last original content they made, expanding the Dark Zone north, had checkpoints with "CP-01" and "CP-02" signs pointing north through the doors. I guess it was always a longshot, but they slightly teased that the game was just going to expand northward, then a little after that they announced TD2 in DC looking like The Last of Us.

They could have gone south through the Financial District - it would have been a different feel with the tight cramped streets.

IIRC the early showings of the game actually had a Brooklyn map. And of course the game starts there. It's obvious there was a lot more ground to cover, and they could have released expansions for a long time. But they threw it all away, and all that expertise, to get that sweet $60 box sale again.

Last edited:

It is no longer in the top 50 games on Xbox most played games. And that list should be a accurate snapshot of the U.s. gamer.

Fallout 76 succeeds where Division, Anthem and Monster Hunter fail... player retention. they got Bethesda-pwned.

First game did exceptionally well even at the end of its life... this is kinda surprising but I didn’t even bother to play the second game to know what happened for it to fall off a cliff like it did.
you are a liar.... it's on 30 on Xbox store

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I don't think it was the setting change; I absolutely hated the first one with the cold, lonely, dirty, boring landscape. I like the second a lot more. But the first one had something going for it --- it was new. The second just feels like more of the same. There wasn't enough new to keep me interested. The older I get, the more these looter-shooter games just feel grindy and boring.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I loved The Division 2 and personally rated it an excellent 9.0/10 at launch as it's simply an improvement over the original game in literally every aspect. Played and completed it 100% solo until that first major update that was released and I was done but that has nothing to do with the game and more me simply moving on to my next game. May go back to it once all the episodes get released. If not, still an excellent game, my third best game of 2019 and im very much looking forward to The Division 3 on next gen hardware.

EDIT: As much as I enjoyed NYC in The Division especially since I live in Brooklyn, getting the hell out of the snow and into the beautiful D.C. area was better for me as I prefer sunshine over snow/rain. Not only that but the main reason I got tired of NYC is because they never added the other boroughs which I always thought was a guarantee but sadly, it never happened. The other boroughs is what should have been the DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sygma

It is no longer in the top 50 games on Xbox most played games. And that list should be a accurate snapshot of the U.s. gamer.

Fallout 76 succeeds where Division, Anthem and Monster Hunter fail... player retention. they got Bethesda-pwned.

First game did exceptionally well even at the end of its life... this is kinda surprising but I didn’t even bother to play the second game to know what happened for it to fall off a cliff like it did.

MHW isn't a live service game and it topped charts for a good while tho ? weird comparison

Airbus Jr

Banned
That game came out this year but already out of top 30 on Xbox One?

Well shit...things seems to be very grim now for ubisoft..for an online seviced game like division this is terible...

Hows the player count on PC and PS?

Last edited:

ksdixon

do games only get a certain number of updates/patches etc?
what's to stop them continuing to do more content for Division 1 if it is by far the more improved/liked version of the game?

VertigoOA

Banned
MHW isn't a live service game and it topped charts for a good while tho ? weird comparison

Monster Hunter is very much similar in appeal as destiny And has succeeded like it as well. Why isn’t a live service? Because they haven’t deemed it as such? Labels mean nothing when they search to accomplish similar hooks and gameplay loops.

do you know what the first live service game was? STREET FIGHTER 2. Capcom has tons of experience with live service games actually.

It’s a pve coop game with an endgame chase. It’s very similar and where it succeeds will be examined similarly.

it never “topped” charts but it performs exceptionally well for a game that will have a steep drop off after an initial content launch.

monster hunter can be much bigger than it is and I do believe Capcom can do it.

I’m also rooting for Remnant. Souls/destiny just sounds amazing, regardless of the procedural generation.

Last edited:
do games only get a certain number of updates/patches etc?
what's to stop them continuing to do more content for Division 1 if it is by far the more improved/liked version of the game?
I'd assume it's because that would give players a reason to not immediately buy the next entry in the series. Why switch to a new game when the last one failed and the first one is still getting content updates? Ubisoft might be able milk the first game for a bit longer, but it'll come at the cost of lost preorders and release period purchases, which they probably care a lot more about.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe if all you Division players chatted like busom buddies in UBI trailers, you'd have a better time! lol

UBI: No doubt the worst of the worst when it comes to faking MP gaming. I like how UBI even tries faking online gaming static as if everyone's mic has static like that. lol

Last edited:

ksdixon

I'd assume it's because that would give players a reason to not immediately buy the next entry in the series. Why switch to a new game when the last one failed and the first one is still getting content updates? Ubisoft might be able milk the first game for a bit longer, but it'll come at the cost of lost preorders and release period purchases, which they probably care a lot more about.

But surely those potential preorder numbers/sales have been poisoned by Div2 already? Compared to Div1 where the visual atmosphere and gameplay/skills/loot mechanics seem to be preferred version over Div2?

Played Division 1 for the first time earlier this year. It was well worth the wait. Launch issues and lack of content aside...in 2019 it's a phenomenal game. Great atmosphere with a fun gameplay loop...and you know what, the story ain't half bad, certainly better than any other looter shooter I've played. It leaves off teasing chasing Keener down in the sequel.

Then you play the sequel and that never actually happens. Actually I couldn't tell you what the story of Division 2 is...despite having finished it and reached WT3...I think. Pretty sure it was something about retaking the capital. That's it. It was boring and uninteresting and Keener doesn't even appear. You're not tracking him. You're not looking for him. He may as well not even exist. I think there might be some audio logs from him but that's about it. The environments are...well they just don't sell the almost post-apocalyptic atmosphere the way NYC did. The dark zone has been pussified, one of the best things about late game in the first was going into the dark zone to try and get some high level gear and get out. You had to plan your routes and try to minimize contact with other players. It was tense and if you did find yourself in combat it could be a real uphill battle if the other player had a good build going. It was awesome. All that is gone in Division 2. Levels and gear are normalized and next to nobody PvPs...and even if they did it's not like there's anything good in the dark zone anyway. It went from being one of the best ways to gather high GS gear, to one of the worst. Add to that the fact that Division 2 is still littered with the very same bugs and issues that plagued the first and you have a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I loved the game to be honest. I even put 40 hours into both of the beta's lol. The looting and upgrading was so addictive to me, it would sometimes take me an hour to get to missions because i would keep going and looting stuff lol.

ChinMitten

Neo Member
Yep. I have hundreds of hours in the first game and played all of the content through and through, except for the survive the cold game mode whatever it was.

Hated so much about the second game. It was either obnoxiously bright or too dark to see the enemy, I hated the menu, vanity items felt and looked bad.

Never loved the revamped armor/health system. Brand sets were awful compared to high ends that just made sense in the first game without getting too convoluted. Dark Zone is worthless. Never played for the story in either game but Div2 was extra “oh my god I don’t care.”

There’s a reason Marco Style left the game. Ubisoft would probably suck his dick to keep making content around The Division

Bkdk

Fallout 4 and Skyrim still being so high despite being singleplayer only, I think Bethesda is pretty confident that a heavily modded gambryo engine will work really well for starfield and ES6, could sell 10+ million easily across all platforms.

But surely those potential preorder numbers/sales have been poisoned by Div2 already? Compared to Div1 where the visual atmosphere and gameplay/skills/loot mechanics seem to be preferred version over Div2?
If people want another Division 1, what do you think Ubisoft is more likely to do? Keep supporting an old title that is even deader than its ill-fated sequel with new content and patches in the hopes that some players MIGHT come back, or create a completely new entry in the series with the old setting and mechanics that they can market as a return to old form and sell for 60 bucks?

VertigoOA

Banned
Fallout 4 and Skyrim still being so high despite being singleplayer only, I think Bethesda is pretty confident that a heavily modded gambryo engine will work really well for starfield and ES6, could sell 10+ million easily across all platforms.

I believe they are both free on games pass. Many of the games are that chart. Games pass is a huge factor for sure but player rentention is a testament to their appeal regardless. They’ve been charting ...

It would be nice if Sony gave a most popular list as well. Not most sales but actual most played games ... they won’t tho.

Last edited:

Sygma

Monster Hunter is very much similar in appeal as destiny And has succeeded like it as well. Why isn’t a live service? Because they haven’t deemed it as such? Labels mean nothing when they search to accomplish similar hooks and gameplay loops.

do you know what the first live service game was? STREET FIGHTER 2. Capcom has tons of experience with live service games actually.

It’s a pve coop game with an endgame chase. It’s very similar and where it succeeds will be examined similarly.

it never “topped” charts but it performs exceptionally well for a game that will have a steep drop off after an initial content launch.

monster hunter can be much bigger than it is and I do believe Capcom can do it.

I’m also rooting for Remnant. Souls/destiny just sounds amazing, regardless of the procedural generation.

You're wrong on all ends but that's a'ight. it absolutely doesn't have the same appeal, nor it does have the same kind of gameplay loop and shit. MHW was on steam's and xbox top 10 for a good bit, its just that when you run out of armor / weapons to craft you're effectively out of content.

"much bigger than it is" its the best sold title of the franchise. maybe dont give inputs on stuff you clearly can't talk about

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
You're wrong on all ends but that's a'ight. it absolutely doesn't have the same appeal, nor it does have the same kind of gameplay loop and shit. MHW was on steam's and xbox top 10 for a good bit, its just that when you run out of armor / weapons to craft you're effectively out of content.

"much bigger than it is" its the best sold title of the franchise. maybe dont give inputs on stuff you clearly can't talk about

I can’t talk about it plenty as I own it and played it extensively.

It’s not much different than a looter shooter. I’m sorry you’re in denial. It has the same kind of hooks ... except it’s actually more grindy than everything else. It’s just not a shooter but it has similar endgame gameplay loop and gear chases.

it could be much bigger. First game successful overseas, and not on a Nintendo console where it’d only sell 50k outside of Japan is a good start for growth. It’d easily be able to compete with the other chart toppers but content drops are too sparse.

Capcom can make a huge push with current MHW seeing how epic released that shitty f2p rip-off that had is one week of popularity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom