• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 Is Ditching Steam For The Epic Games Store On PC

Zambatoh

So much for cutting out the middle man and selling it your own store amirite?

Yes I know they are selling on their own store, but why even bother with Epic?

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This isn't going to do some dumb shit like launch from Epic into Uplay is it?

Last edited:

roflcaust

Neo Member
Welps, never planned on getting this game and that solidifies my decision to make sure I never even bother with it.

Another boring bulletsponge-ridden loot shooter that'll get stale after a week.

Catphish

I will not use the Epic/Tencent launcher. Period.

I was going to buy Division 2, and was actually excited for it. Now, it's a no-buy.

edit: n/m. I missed the part where they're still selling it through their own launcher. I'll do that, albeit reluctantly.

Last edited:

FrankCaron

Makes sense, tbh, given Epic's rev share. It's something of a niche game anyway and won't likely be affected much by the network effects. The actually-interested PC audience for it will seek it out wherever it may be, as if you're game to deal with uPlay and Ubisoft's net code, the least of your worries is likely the storefront you buy it from, lol.

Last edited:

Blam

Chris Early, vice president of partnerships at Ubisoft added: "We entrust Epic to deliver a smooth journey for our fans, from pre-ordering the game and enjoying our Beta to the launch... Epic continues to disrupt the video game industry, and their third party digital distribution model is the latest example, and something Ubisoft wants to support."

Love how much this is gonna tank because of this.

pr0cs

Wacky as hell, why would they both putting it anywhere but on the ubi store then. Does the epic store even have the same audience as steam, I suspect the ubi store is still larger than epic's

MMaRsu

Banned
LOLZ.

Good luck with this fucking shitgame then. Goodbye Ubisoft, we won't miss ya.

If they put Trials Rising not on Steam then fuck them as well. With their invasive DRM in every fucking game.

What sucks is it sounds like people playing the closed sessions so far are enjoying it and say the gunplay is way better.

Wish we could go back to a time when it was just about the game and not all his launcher/platform drama

dorkimoe

I’m not installing the epic launcher. So guess I’ll just play it on Xbox. These people are killing pc gaming. Put it on all and let the market decide

Last edited:

CuNi

5bc.gif

Hinedorf

Banned
It's a UBIsoft game.....doesn't this essentially raise the quality of Steam?

Had a few friends who played it for a solid month or 2 and never touched it again. Is this supposed to be a feather in Epic's cap? Is this game more popular than I realize???

Gamezone

Gold Member
Steam is becoming a huge store for indie developers at this point. 30% cut on an open platform with today's competition is too much. The store is also filled with garbage, and Valve doesn't develop games anymore (at least not the games fans are requesting). Where is the new UI they were suppose to release almost two years ago? Stuff like this is annoying.

NickFire

After the initial announcement I predicted their business model would be very attractive to publishers because of the low store-front tax. I could swear someone mocked me and claimed that Epic's business model was redundant for companies with their own launcher.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
After the initial announcement I predicted their business model would be very attractive to publishers because of the low store-front tax. I could swear someone mocked me and claimed that Epic's business model was redundant for companies with their own launcher.

Yeah at the end of the day it's about money and if companies call sell their games on a store that has smaller fees they're gonna do it.

FrankCaron

People on GAF vastly under-estimate the dollars and cents of things like that generally, let alone the impact of what putting a game like this next to the Fortnite launcher will do for its numbers, potentially. It's a niche game right now, and its hardcore audience is fleeting; Ubisoft understands this and wants to on PC open things up to the largest possible audience. From a business perspective, it makes sense economically and marketing-wise, in my mind.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
The day Microsoft announce Game Pass for Windows will probably be another blow for Valve.

Not if you have to use the Windows Store.

Also not if you can only get Microsoft published games. Their offering on PC is very weak right now.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If Epic has deep enough pockets to get Ubi exclusives, yikes. Why don't they only put it on their own store if they want to cut out the middle man altogether (I don't imagine Uplay has many less users than Epic Store, maybe they don't have a Fortnite of their own - if you can call every Fortnite player an Epic Store user to begin with - but they have tons of other games they can use to drive adoption and they drive adoption even with their Steam sales since they launch Uplay too)? Why not use this game as a test? Or another game as a test and then Division 2 to follow? Because it's not the reason, a moneyhat is I guess.

Last edited:
This one kind of seems irrelevant since Ubi only sells non-Uplay codes directly through those third-party storefronts.

I don't see why you'd buy Division 2 through Epic when you're guaranteed a discount through GMG.

Unless Epic gets the discount too? Which Steam didn't. Still rather go through Ubi, I think.

At least with Steam, you could make the fanboy and easy refund argument.

NickFire

This one kind of seems irrelevant since Ubi only sells non-Uplay codes directly through those third-party storefronts.

I don't see why you'd buy Division 2 through Epic when you're guaranteed a discount through GMG.

Unless Epic gets the discount too? Which Steam didn't. Still rather go through Ubi, I think.

At least with Steam, you could make the fanboy and easy refund argument.
A major publisher releasing a big game on Epic's store is very relevant. Maybe not to fully informed smart shoppers, but most certainly for the industry.

Is Ubi still selling on other storefronts while still requiring their own launcher? That shit drove me crazy back in the FC3/FC4 days.

bee

fucking exclusives on pc lol, I've never bought anything from the oculus store (robo recall, lone echo look great) i'll never buy anything from the epic store either

Uplay is a billion times better than the Epic store.
It's easily the second-best client. Origin used to be it but for some reason it's stuck in 2014...

ClosBSAS

absolutely bummed out by this. i could get it on uplay, but will not even bother. division 1 is one of my favorite games of all time but no way i am supporting the moneyhatting.

zeorhymer

I'll be laughing if the PC sales were so disappointing that Ubi had to make a u-turn and sell it back onto Steam.

I'll be laughing if the PC sales were so disappointing that Ubi had to make a u-turn and sell it back onto Steam.

I’m not defending Ubi but I think his will end up OKAY.

Peope love looter shooters and Division was pretty well received, especially after updates. I wouldn’t compare this to F76 level bad vibes heading into launch.

Filben

Ok, I guess?

Going to require and launch uPlay anyways. Will definitely not buy from Epic's dipshit launcher.

Top Bottom