• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division console version possibly running at a higher framerate if you choose to

I hope it means it can run at around 60.. but probably more realistically it will be uncapped at 45ish.

But if you look at how infamous controls with uncapped framerate also around 45 i wouldn't mind it at all, that game controls amazingly well and responsive

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah this was covered in the beta thread and the snowdrop thread. However it is probably thread worthy.

Hoping it is a GI on, lower Framerate, GI off, higher Framerate.

I guess we will know soon enough.

IvanJ

Banned
It's good to have that option.
I won't use it, though. I prefer the game to look better, I don't really care about the fps, wouldn't even know how to measure it.

It's good to have that option.
I won't use it, though. I prefer the game to look better, I don't really care about the fps, wouldn't even know how to measure it.

You would feel it on the sticks, and if you get used to it you wouldn't want to go back

yatesl

Exclusive screenshot of low graphics mode

latest

What if you unlock the frame rate and play it on a g-sync monitor ?

On console? Nothing.

Caayn

Consoles don't support G-sync, it's locked to Nvidia cards. Freesync would maybe(not sure) be possible but the OS needs to support it.
This type of stuff is helping move to PC gaming since I get guaranteed legacy support. better graphics, and multiple control options.
Jup, this gen I spent more time on PC then the others gen before it.

Consoles don't support G-sync, it's locked to Nvidia cards (as usual with Nvidia tech >.>). Freesync would maybe(not sure) be possible but the OS needs to support it.
Jup, this gen I spent more time on PC then the others gen before it.

You'd still get awful stuttering.

G-sync/Freesync only works when the GPU can control the monitor's refresh rate.

Consoles have no such capability, even if you pair them up with a g-sync module or a freesync monitor.

BigTnaples

Yeah the input lag was terrible on the console versions, PC version was a much nicer experience......in 4K.....oh my

Eh wasn't that bad. Spent a bunch of time with both the PC and PS4 versions. Wasn't a detriment to the gameplay going back and forth IMO.

Now going back and forth between my XBO TRR and the PC version, that is night and day.

Tratorn

I don't like that at all, because that's destroying the advantages of consoles, especially in competitive games. If more games have these options, they are really not better than PCs that have similiar hardware.
The good thing about consoles is, that 99% of the people in a game have the same environment (excluding fighting games where fightsticks vs controller isn't really fair). If some gamers play with eye candy and the others disable some options for a better framerate, the latter group of course has an advantage.
And optimization is key for consoles to get the most out of the slower hardware compared to PCs. If all console games would have more options to disable, many devs probably wouldn't fully optimize anymore, at least not as much as now. They would just think, that the people would disable some options, if they don't like the framerate. And the others, who don't want to "downgrade" anything, can play with their 25 FPS.

Reminds me of Bioshock Infinite (on PS3 at least, dunno if 360 version supported this), where you could turn off v-sync for a much smoother image, in exchange for possible tears (and tears....cuz......cause Elizabeth....)

the others, who don't want to "downgrade" anything, can play with their 25 FPS.

Which is what normally happens anyway.

"console optimization" isn't synonimous with "rock-solid, judder-free, tear-free, triple-buffered and responsive 30fps/60fps".

It's just "everyone runs at the same speed". Which more often than not means unstable 30fps.

I welcome the opportunity of disabling eye-candy for more responsive gameplay.

It's a way to educate players.

On Demand

Banned
As a game developer do you guys ever get restricted based on consoles as far as what you can do, just cause it's like we know we can do this on PC but we have to make a game for consoles too?

_______

It is definitely a benefactor in it but one good thing about The Division is we always considered the PC as a separate platform. I've worked on projects before where PC versions are ports from a console, so there are limitations over, but we've always been in the mind that we'll have a dedicated PC build so it hasn't really held it back too much.

We do have to kind of keep it check with the consoles, to kind of being fair just to push it so far away from them.

What the fuck is this? And people wonder why there's arguments of parity all the time.

Marvel

could never
Great to have the option, but I won't be turning shit off.

Like my games looking as best they can.

Why are people expecting 60fps?
I'm afraid that the game will be demanding in certain parts of the game and people have to turn down the lighting to get a stable 30fps. That's a more reasonable possibility for me.

pizzacat

Banned
Like unless they say it runs at 60 without those things I'll turn it off, not trying to run at like sub 45 looking ugly for no reason lol

The dev said "improve" not "higher", there's a difference. So I think it's just going to run better in every areas of the game (like a real locked 30fps).

Fake Edit: That's basically what texhnolyze said just above.

Maxey

Who wants to bet Ubisoft only allowed this because of the AC: Unity shitstorm?

Either way, it's nice to have the option. Quite a few times in console games I just wish I could disable certain effects for a more stable framerate.

I don't like that at all, because that's destroying the advantages of consoles, especially in competitive games. If more games have these options, they are really not better than PCs that have similiar hardware.
The good thing about consoles is, that 99% of the people in a game have the same environment (excluding fighting games where fightsticks vs controller isn't really fair). If some gamers play with eye candy and the others disable some options for a better framerate, the latter group of course has an advantage.
And optimization is key for consoles to get the most out of the slower hardware compared to PCs. If all console games would have more options to disable, many devs probably wouldn't fully optimize anymore, at least not as much as now. They would just think, that the people would disable some options, if they don't like the framerate. And the others, who don't want to "downgrade" anything, can play with their 25 FPS.

Good, console gamers are about to understand that when it comes to games gameplay is king and better than having some God rays on the corner of the screen that you won't even be aware of in the heat of the moment.

BigTnaples

Good, console gamers are about to understand that when it comes to games gameplay is king and better than having some God rays on the corner of the screen that you won't even be aware of in the heat of the moment.

Nah. I'll take my god rays.

Z3M0G

Oh come on... its not going to make so much of a difference that it will help someone outplay someone else. We are not talking 60fps vs 24fps here...

xRaizen

Oh come on... its not going to make so much of a difference that it will help someone outplay someone else. We are not talking 60fps vs 24fps here...
More responsive controls won't help that person outplay the one who does't have the more responsive controls?

On Demand

Banned
I thought about that comment too haha, might have had the 2014 graphics if not for them pesky consoles!

What's the point having a dedicated PC build if you're just going to limit it because of consoles to be "fair".

I don't even have a gaming PC, and shit like this is why I see no point in building one.

BigTnaples

More responsive controls won't help that person outplay the one who does't have the more responsive controls?

I'm not playing in the MLG. That couple milisecond difference is only going to decide the outcome a handful of times. I am playing for fun, won't be that big of a deal.

Also, it is an RPG, not a twich shooter. If I was playing quake or tribes... maybe.

The Division or Fallout or something of that nature? Nah.

cackhyena

I'm not playing in the MLG. That couple milisecond difference is only going to decide the outcome a handful of times. I am playing for fun, won't be that big of a deal.

Also, it is an RPG, not a twich shooter. If I was playing quake or tribes... maybe.

The Division or Fallout or something of that nature? Nah.
But The Division and Fallout 4 can be looked at as a hybrid. It's real time shooting, so it pays to have it as snappy as possible.

Top Bottom