• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division PC Options Revealed.

Adnor

Banned
Holy crap, I usually like to tweak each setting individually but I don't even know what half of those do O.O Hoping for a nvidia graphics guide, those are awesome.

If you think those are a lot of settings you should see Serious Sam 3.

Sijil

It's made by Ubisoft Massive, formerly Massive Entertainment, these guys are PC developers through and through, making Ground Control and World in Conflict so I have some faith in their ability to optimize this game properly. Tho Ubisoft having the final say on resource and manpower allocation when it comes to development leaves some doubt.

I'm also trying to decide between PC and console. I'm going to pre order both on Amazon and get a feel for each version during the beta to help make my decision. Can always cancel.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's a ubisoft game so it's guaranteed to be optimized poorly in at least one or two areas. Black Flag still doesn't run well maxed out at 1080p on a 980Ti, Far Cry 4 had some problems too, especially with PCSS. Syndicate was decent. I hope I can max it out at 1080p but who knows.
This is a game being made by a of exclusive developer. It's a Ubisoft game in the same sense that Dragon Age is a an EA game. Give the dev team some credit. Companies aren't one mass identity and it's strange how prevalent that mindset seems to be in gaming.

patapuf

It's a ubisoft game so it's guaranteed to be optimized poorly in at least one or two areas. Black Flag still doesn't run well maxed out at 1080p on a 980Ti, Far Cry 4 had some problems too, especially with PCSS. Syndicate was decent. I hope I can max it out at 1080p but who knows.

"max it out" is a bad metric.

Have you seen those options? depending on what implementation they choose those can be very expensive, even if they are well optimized.

Massive is a PC dev anyway. I'm optimistic.

Mohasus

Yup, this is how the list should look like if it were an optimized game:
Vsync (on/off)
Frame Rate Limit (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Post FX AA
Anisotropic Filtering
Depth of Field
Chromatic Aberration (on/off)
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

Grief.exe

The PC version is just going to be console assets bumped up a bit. It's not like we're getting a PC version built from the ground up.

It almost seems like we are.

The game was debuted on PC hardware with phenomenal visuals well beyond what the current consoles are capable of, and the game is being developed by a traditionally PC developer with quite an extensive options menu.

Crossing Eden

Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Post FX AA
Anisotropic Filtering
Depth of Field
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)
This makes very little sense. More options is a good thing, especially for the more expensive effects like fog and SSR.

Lingitiz

It almost seems like we are.

The game was debuted on PC hardware with phenomenal visuals well beyond what the current consoles are capable of, and the game is being developed by a traditionally PC developer with quite an extensive options menu.

As much as I'd like to believe that it's more likely we just get a Witcher 3 situation, which is a game that looks a lot better on PC, but all three are within the same ballpark. The "downgrade" is probably a similar situation to that game too.

It's pretty much unreasonable to expect the game to look completely different on PC. It will look good no doubt, but comparable.

noomi

absolutely loving all the division details coming forward these past few days. HYPE IS REACHING DANGEROUS LEVELS

Grief.exe

I mean it might be but I don't really see the point, the game was far from releasing and they announced the PC version shortly after. Want would that accomplish?

We could speculate for days, but they did have a deal with Sony to exclusively debut it at their conference, then later a marketing deal with Microsoft, so there were incentives at play.

I will say, they were teasing a PC version quite heavily the entire time, even encouraging people to take to social media. Honestly, it could have been an easy ploy to get more people talking about the game, and it definitely resulted in significantly more mentions on social media. Then another media push through gaming journalism and social media when the game was announced for PC, all while pushing pre-orders.

As CyberPunked said, the original demo running on PS4/XBO dev kits would have been absurd. They were not anywhere close to targeting those specs from the outset.

Crossing Eden

That's the point he's making. If "optimised" means "maxed out"/tick all boxes, we wouldn't get these options but only those he posted.
So it was sarcasm?

I mean it might be but I don't really see the point, the game was far from releasing and they announced the PC version shortly after. Want would that accomplish?'.
Back in 2013 try expected to be done by 2014. Given their history a pc version was a given.

Grief.exe

I'm hoping to get closer to 50% off by using those unscrupulous sites that deal in cross-region keys.

It's a Ubisoft game, forcing me to use Uplay, I'm really not worried about supporting the publisher on this one

How can you tell that ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeloIvzQg6E

Comparison of low to ultra on PC ( screens )

It's all youtube shit but with that said I don't think the Xbox One version looked anywhere near as bad as the low settings. Probably medium settings. The PS4 should be a step up from that in however way the developer chooses to use the extra overhead.

Also, it's interesting to note that on Ultra there doesn't seem to be that much greater environment density. Which is the biggest thing the initial reveal in 2013 had over footage today when people scream downgrade. Possibly indicating cutting back on environment clutter could be a gameplay decision for players not to get caught up on physical objects during movement and traversal during combat given the game's FOV.

We could speculate for days, but they did have a deal with Sony to exclusively debut it at their conference, then later a marketing deal with Microsoft, so there were incentives at play.

I will say, they were teasing a PC version quite heavily the entire time, even encouraging people to take to social media. Honestly, it could have been an easy ploy to get more people talking about the game, and it definitely resulted in significantly more mentions on social media. Then another media push through gaming journalism and social media when the game was announced for PC, all while pushing pre-orders.

As CyberPunked said, the original demo running on PS4/XBO dev kits would have been absurd. They were not anywhere close to targeting those specs from the outset.

Back in 2013 try expected to be done by 2014. Given their history a pc version was a given.

Yeah I completely forgot about the 2014 releases date, makes sense now.

I'm hoping to get closer to 50% off by using those unscrupulous sites that deal in cross-region keys.

It's a Ubisoft game, forcing me to use Uplay, I'm really not worried about supporting the publisher on this one
FYI Ubisoft removes keys bought from those sites more than anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeloIvzQg6E

Comparison of low to ultra on PC ( screens )

It's all youtube shit but with that said I don't think the Xbox One version looked anywhere near as bad as the low settings. Probably medium settings. The PS4 should be a step up from that in however way the developer chooses to use the extra overhead.

Also, it's interesting to note that on Ultra there doesn't seem to be that much greater environment density. Which is the biggest thing the initial reveal in 2013 had over footage today when people scream downgrade. Possibly indicating cutting back on environment clutter could be a gameplay decision for players not to get caught up on physical objects during movement and traversal during combat given the game's FOV.

I think it still might be too early for comparisons for PC settings. This is all from the beta right? You would think that they wouldn't want make the download size that big compared to the final release. Maybe the textures and stuff are still compressed all around.

I don't know what settings these are on PC but I'm hoping they are at low.

https://youtu.be/_dFdST1Hz7c?t=1m18s

Look at the shadows from 1:20 to 1:25 on the right side of the screen.

zEQGEB3.jpg

xJl4jCC.png

And here is Xbox One footage of Mission 1. Hard to get a nice shadow shot under same conditions.

WAw03zW.jpg

F7wJ5vq.jpg

If we assume that represents medium then it's likely the above shots are from PC low.

I think it still might be too early for comparisons for PC settings. This is all from the beta right? You would think that they wouldn't want make the download size that big compared to the final release. Maybe the textures and stuff are still compressed all around.

I doubt it. Beta's today are glorified demo's. You put your best foot out when you consider how your impressions and footage will be plastered all over the place especially when you're mere months away from release. Also knowing that outlets like NXGamer and Digital Foundry are going to tear your game apart.

Smokey

Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Post FX AA
Anisotropic Filtering
Depth of Field
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

Getting soooooo tired of the word optimized. Gets thrown around in non relevant discussion. How is more graphical options on the PC less "optimization"? Jesus.

watchdog

I doubt it. Beta's today are glorified demo's. You put your best foot out when you consider how your impressions and footage will be plastered all over the place especially when you're mere months away from release. Also knowing that outlets like NXGamer and Digital Foundry are going to tear your game apart.

If you watch the footage at the beginning you can see that the person goes into the video settings and has a lot of the settings on low or off. Plus the OP notes that it's on low too. :p

Xyber

Getting soooooo tired of the word optimized. Gets thrown around in non relevant discussion. How is more graphical options on the PC less "optimization"? Jesus.

All those GPU intensive effects and stuff should get optimized to a level where they have no impact on the performance anymore, therefore not being relevant in the options menu!

I don't know man, people who got their first gaming PC at the end of last gen has some weird expectations where they think they should be able to max anything or it's a shitty port.

squidyj

All those GPU intensive effects and stuff should get optimized to a level where they have no impact on the performance anymore, therefore not being relevant in the options menu!

I don't know man, people who got their first gaming PC at the end of last gen has some weird expectations where they think they should be able to max anything or it's a shitty port.

if I'm not getting 120fps at 1440p on my midrange gpu with max settings it's a terribly optimized game and I'm perfectly justified in going online and crying about it.

Smash88

Banned

https://youtu.be/_dFdST1Hz7c?t=1m18s

Look at the shadows from 1:20 to 1:25 on the right side of the screen.

http://i.imgur.com/zEQGEB3.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xJl4jCC.png[IMG]

And here is Xbox One footage of Mission 1. Hard to get a nice shadow shot under same conditions.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WAw03zW.jpg[IMG]

If we assume that represents medium then it's likely the above shots are from PC low.

I doubt it. Beta's today are glorified demo's. You put your best foot out when you consider how your impressions and footage will be plastered all over the place especially when you're mere months away from release. Also knowing that outlets like NXGamer and Digital Foundry are going to tear your game apart.[/QUOTE]

He has a 650Ti, so he is playing on low. The videos are from the same user as was posted in the OP.

Honestly, only reason I'm even trusting The Division, is the devs and their longstanding commitment to PC games prior to this release. They haven't failed me before, I'm really counting on them.

I'm even borderline wanting to work on the OT for this game, unless it has been claimed. I'm super excited, haven't been this hyped since GTA V PC release.

GHG

Gold Member
Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Post FX AA
Anisotropic Filtering
Depth of Field
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)

1375735945_black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

See folks, this is what happens when people become accustomed to bad PC ports.

Next thing you know he'll be telling us that a lack of a 30fps framerate lock or a 1080p resolution lock are bad signs as well.

Mozendo

Vsync (on/off)
Shadow Quality
Shadow Resolution
Post FX AA
Anisotropic Filtering
Depth of Field
Lens Flare (on/off)
Vignette Effect (on/off)