• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dogface Show

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
The Dogface Show is a unique pop culture show, that focuses on the Street Fighter community - the players, the scene, the lifestyle, and everything else that's made SRK what it is. Victor "dogface" Ratliff hosts the show, interviewing the most famous players in the fighting game community and asking the kinds of questions you'll never hear anywhere else. If you're at all curious what these people are actually like, there's no better way to find out.

Generally each episode is split into four weekly segments and released as quickly as Neil "CigarBob" Atkin and James "jchensor" Chen can edit them without sacrificing quality for speed. Derek "omni" Daniels co-produces the show.

So far three episodes have been released. Here are direct links to their individual segments:

Episode 3: Joey "MrWizard" Cuellar and Seth "s-kill" Killian
05.03.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 03, Part 1
05.11.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 03, Part 2
05.18.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 03, Part 3
06.03.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 03, Part 4
06.09.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 03, Part 5
06.15.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 03, Part 6

Episode 2: Ed Ma and Peter "Combofiend" Rosas
03.29.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 02 Trailer
04.05.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 02, Part 1
04.13.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 02, Part 2
04.20.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 02, Part 3
04.28.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 02, Part 4

Episode 1: Ryan “Gootecks” Gutierrez and Mike “TheGreaterForce” Ross
02.20.2009 The Dogface Show - Premiere Trailer
02.28.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 01, Part 1
03.09.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 01, Part 2
03.15.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 01, Part 3
03.22.2009 The Dogface Show - Episode 01, Part 4

You can always find the latest episodes and news here: The Dogface Show Official Website

You can also subscribe to the Dogface Show youtube channel to get instant updates whenever a new episode is released.

Majestros

The very first episode of The Dogface Show is finally here!!

The Dogface Show - Episode 01, Part 1

This episode's guests are Ryan "Gootecks" Gutierrez and Mike "TheGreaterForce" Ross. We'll be splitting these up into 10-minute segments and releasing them on a weekly basis. So press play, kick back, and enjoy. Then tell us what you think, either on the website or on here. Thanks for watching!

Perdew

Zebra stripes! Zebra stripes!

Pretty good so far, I'm about halfway in
WHY IS IT SO OVEREXPOSED

Where is this shot?

Majestros

Hm, so i can't change the title of the thread to update with whoever is the guest in the most recent episode? I'd like to hear the origin story of that particular restriction.

bistromathics said:
not terrible!
I know, isn't it not?

Perdew said:
Where is this shot?
It was shot in a studio we rented somewhere in LA. You're right regarding the overexposure, but lighting is tricky and we are scrubs. It's okay. Baby steps!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
won me over pretty fast. do longer shows :( Also less random, more stories.

Majestros

We all wish we could do longer shows but editing takes a surprisingly long time. And for now this is just a "spare-time" project for everyone involved. Hopefully it'll get easier as we get better at all the little time-saving tricks that are out there.

Majestros

Damn, the more i think about that, the more painful it sounds. Sorry dude. Wow i actually feel really bad about playing a part in that action.

Majestros

Actually we're just waiting on a few minor editing tweaks before it's finalized and released. Should only be a couple of hours away, with any luck.

Darkpen

Banned
that was surprisingly awesome :lol :lol

You really need to find some way to counter that echoing, though. Get some soft fabrics or foams for backgrounds or whatnot D:

Majestros

Darkpen said:
that was surprisingly awesome :lol :lol

You really need to find some way to counter that echoing, though. Get some soft fabrics or foams for backgrounds or whatnot D:
Does that actually work? How thick do they have to be?

Majestros

Okay, the third segment is ready to go!

The Dogface Show - Episode 01, Part 3

In this more serious installment of the DFS: See what Mike and Ryan have to say about Chinatown Fair, their thoughts on the legendary “Dragon Style” hand placement and what happened to these forgotten Street Fighter characters!?

Also i was hoping to hear everyone's stories of who their "Street Fighter Splinter" was.

CPS2

More serious ey? =P

Gootecks seems pretty confident that America's gonna do well in SF4 at EVO, I dunno I just think the Japanese are going to dominate. Will be interesting to watch anyway.

The fake fighting game characters were pretty good :D

Darkpen

Banned
Interesting, I never knew something like "dragon style" existed. I mean, would that imply that the players are southpaw, or that they're just showing off? Personally, I'd love to have a southpaw stick.

Majestros

UC1 said:
Gootecks seems pretty confident that America's gonna do well in SF4 at EVO, I dunno I just think the Japanese are going to dominate. Will be interesting to watch anyway.
Well, i can't lie, those Daigo matches i've seen so far have been brutal. The dude is as much of a cold-blooded assassin as he's ever been. I heard he'd taken a year off or whatever before SF4 was released but it looks like he's back and completely dominating.

That said, SF4 is a relatively even playing field and it comes down to matchups/mindgames. Japan was always really good at super technical games like SFA3 and 3S, but aside from C.Viper and El Fuerte shenanigans, SF4 is back to oldschool basics.

So i think the field will be fairly evenly matched at Evo. Someone like Daigo might win the whole thing but i'd be surprised if Top 8 wasn't evenly split between countries.

Majestros

The final segment of the first episode is ready for your viewing pleasure:

The Dogface Show - Episode 01, Part 4

Next weekend we might take a short break and post a special feature vid instead. Then the week after that will be the first part of the second episode with new guests, new location, new set, new old posters hanging on new walls.

Majestros

Darkpen said:
Interesting, I never knew something like "dragon style" existed. I mean, would that imply that the players are southpaw, or that they're just showing off? Personally, I'd love to have a southpaw stick.
Actually Seth Killian is known for playing cross-handed (which is what i thought it was called before i gootecks mentioned this "dragon style" moniker). It's kinda funny, i heard when Seth went to Japan for the first time to play in that US vs Japan invitational, hella random Japanese people would walk by and take photos of his hands whlie he was playing.

Jewbacca said:
I want to cut that guys hair that was talking.
Hahaha well phrased.

DrDogg

I enjoyed the show.

Any chance of getting some 3D players in on the action or should we expect strictly Capcom players?

Majestros

Teknopathetic said:
The first episode was really good, I hope you guys keep doing it regularly.
Thank you sir. We'll keep it going as long as there's interest.

Your fancy red name means you're a mod right? Is there any chance the thread name could be changed to something a little more descriptive? Maybe something like "The Dogface Show - Top Player Interviews, Antics, Jokes, Tomfoolery, what have you"

Sorry for the trouble, i didn't know that i wouldn't be able to change it myself.

DrDogg said:
I enjoyed the show.

Any chance of getting some 3D players in on the action or should we expect strictly Capcom players?
I want to say that we're going to have all kinds of players eventually, but i have to admit that the turnaround rate from filming to releasing an entire episode isn't exactly quick. We're all Street Fighter players and obviously the people at the top of the guest list are going to be the first ones who come to our minds when we ask ourselves who we'd like to see interviewed. Evo is only like half a dozen episodes away and since SF4 is the hottest thing right now, we've got a solid list of big names on the way.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that we're open to anything, but there are SO MANY amazing SF players (and characters) in SoCal that it might take a little while before you see us venturing into Tekken / Smash / GuiltyGear territory.

For me, Evo is always exciting because i know half the people in the Top 8 of any given game in any given year. That's from having been involved in the SoCal tournament scene for so long. The coolest thing about the show for me is that it gives people a chance to get to know these guys who all have a really good chance of making it into the final bracket.

I remember you and i had a discussion about the Evo2k8 DVD Trailer where you said that you didn't recognize any of the faces. I don't want that to happen next time. I want everyone who cares about fighting games to have someone to root for at Evo this year.

So that's my reason for being involved with the show.

(Sorry about all the words.)

Majestros

Thank you sirs, glad you found it entertaining. I've been playing Gief for the past couple of years cuz i kind of ran out of people to pick in CvS2. He's pretty terrible in that game, but i dunno, i have fun using him.

Btw, i don't really know what to do in a situation like this. I didn't want to post that video in all three or four SF-related threads even though it probably belongs in all of them. But hopefully it'll find its way there eventually.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Majestros,

I've been watching since ep 1 and I'm enjoying it alot. 3 guys sitting around talking shit and having a laugh about games i have played, although no where near their level, is very enjoyable.

However I still have no idea who dogface actually is. Are you able to give us a quick rundown of his background? A real background would be nice :D

Majestros

Well, i've known him for about two or three years. He's originally from Arizona and moved out here to Cali a couple of years ago. For some reason he loves X-Men vs Street Fighter. In fact he's the primary reason that any kind of competitive scene still exists for that game, however small it may be.

The past three years he's been organizing and running an XSF side tournament at Evolution - bringing all of his own equipment. I think he won the very first tournament and got top three in the other two. He might have won the second tournament as well; i'm not sure.

Vic plays ST, SFA2, and MvC2 as well, but XSF is the game that really clicks with him. And he doesn't even play top tier characters, for whatever reason. His Wolverine is absolutely brutal in that game, and he actually makes Cammy look lethal.

You can see some highlights of him playing Wolverine and Cammy in this Evo2k6 XSF Tournament Trailer that was put together to hype up that year's upcoming tournament.

I dunno, is this what you had in mind? If you have any specific questions, i can try to get answers for you.

Majestros

It's that time again ...

The Dogface Show - Episode 02, Part 1

Vic sits down with multiplaycial icons Combofiend and edma to kick off the second episode of The Dogface Show. This week's topics include SoCal arcades and Combofiend's secret SF4 training routine. What do Ed and Peter think of online players? What *are* the essential arcades in socal? (What is multi-play-cial?)

Thanks, will watch when I get home.

Man, its a real shame about those tacky-ass wall scrolls and posters. I hope that's not someone's house :mad:

Top Bottom