• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Doom 20th anniversery thread of ripping and tearing one's guts

RedSwirl

It got shat on because it came out at the same time as Turok, and while D64 was a fun game, it didn't have the graphical chops Turok did (3d, fluid animations). Not saying Turok was necessarily the better game, but public opinion of the time is that it was.

Damn. Turok and Turok 2 are games I really wish got the HD port treatment. Imagine Turok 1 with an actual draw distance.

But I get you. DOOM 64 kind of came out at the tail end of that beginning era of first person shooter. It came out after Quake, mere months before GoldenEye, an a year before Half-Life.

I thought Doom 64 was actually a very good game - perhaps a bit darker and more brooding than the original Dooms, but it still had that special something ( that Doom 3 completely lost as far as I am concerned ).

Anyway, I fired up zDoom and started playing Deus Vult 2 and a WAD called "The Way ID did it", which is basically a collection of maps similar to the style of the first Doom. And I love it. It's amazing how great the feel of the game still is - it's just so... Satisfying.

As a 20-year veteran of Doom, I can safely say this: I will keep playing it until the day I die.

Lé Blade Runner;93372367 said:
Anyway, I fired up zDoom and started playing Deus Vult 2 and a WAD called "The Way ID did it", which is basically a collection of maps similar to the style of the first Doom. And I love it. It's amazing how great the feel of the game still is - it's just so... Satisfying.
They just recently finished up Doom 2 the Way id Did, in fact, so whenever you're done with Doom the Way id Did, that's ready and waiting for ya. Really love what they did with the secret levels...

And if that wasn't enough, there's also "Lost Episodes" for the first DtWiD. (So many, it requires a modern source port to view a good chunk of them! ZDoom will suffice, no worries there.)

Or if you're in more of a deathmatch mood, the latest 32-in-24 recently released its final revision. (I have a map in there! ...toward the back half, admittedly, but still...)

ahahaha

Also it's amazing watching that Romero post-mortem from 2011 where he's talking about how Carmack initially wanted these utilitarian realistic military bunkers for level inspiration because they would be technically simple to do and fit the story of the game. Romero hated them because they were all a bunch of gray hallways until he finally started to play with the height and details to make something more abstract and striking, and they changed direction to the level and art direction that made Doom iconic.

Fast forward ten years, and Doom 3 is a bunch of gray utilitarian hallways because it's easier to do when you have all that advanced lighting and shadows and also it fits the story.

Tain

Romero was ultimately a huge important part of why Doom was great and I think everyone's realizing that now after shitting on him for a decade and a half.

Romero was ultimately a huge important part of why Doom was great and I think everyone's realizing that now after shitting on him for a decade and a half.

Carmack will always be a technical genius, but it was people like Romero and Tom Hall at id who brought the creative and fun aspects to id software. Tom Hall actually left half way through the development of Doom because he was unhappy wit the direction of the game. Though it is amusing that Tom Hall went to work on Rise of the Triad after bailing out on Doom. Which was the non sequitur cousin of Doom.. or the unofficial sequel to Wolfenstein 3D.

John Romero was a great level designer, his stuff in Doom and Quake are pretty legendary. I was also surprised to learn how many programming duties Romero had on Doom while watching that play through. I didnt know that he designed the level editor and did a lot of sound coding.

entremet

I've always hoped for a reunion game of sorts from Romero and Carmack.

First you need zandronum: http://zandronum.com/download

Then you need Brutal Doom: http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloads
(Download Brutal Doom and optionally the metal soundtrack)

Put all that in the same folder as Doom95. (If the files are on a CD, you can just copy them from the CD to a new folder on your hard drive.)

Right click on Zandronum.exe and select "Create shortcut". Then right click on the shortcut and click "properties".

In the target of the proterty write something like this:
"C:\ ... \zandronum.exe" brutalv018a.pk3 DoomMetalVol3.wad

Where "C:\ ... \zandronum.exe" should already be filled in for you, so you only need to put brutalv018a.pk3 at the end.

This excellent review of Brutal Doom also shows how to get it working through "Drag and drop":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzsG2sLc7dk
Thank you for this I've been playing Doom for 20 years but have generally gone with the vanilla version. Been dying to try Brutal Doom and finally gave it a go tonight; it's awesome! Are there any good tweak guides for Zandronum / GZDoom? There are an overwhelming amount of settings which don't seem to be very well documented, unless I'm not looking in the right place. The default is kind of OK, and upping the resolution goes a long way (though greatly borks the aspect ratio on most modern monitors), but I feel like a lot more can be done.

Also...
Apologies for the shameless plug here, but last week John Romero came by IGN and played through Episode 1 of Doom with me to celebrate the 20th anniversary. It was a dream come true for me as Doom was a life-changing game for me (as it no doubt was for many of you) and in the spirit of the thread I'm hoping you guys might enjoy it. It's basically a 90-minute interview...that we're playing Doom over the top of. :)
This was the best thing you guys have ever done. I was in the front row at the GDC talk Romero mentions in the video, and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had in the industry. He's a living legend; I'm endlessly jealous you got to play that much of the game with him! After his talk we actually wound up at the same tea room sitting "back-to-back" and I was too star-struck to say anything! What I wouldn't give to see him and Carmack get the band back together to make something with modern tech... Stranger things have happened!

Ryan_IGN

This was the best thing you guys have ever done. I was in the front row at the GDC talk Romero mentions in the video, and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had in the industry. He's a living legend; I'm endlessly jealous you got to play that much of the game with him! After his talk we actually wound up at the same tea room sitting "back-to-back" and I was too star-struck to say anything! What I wouldn't give to see him and Carmack get the band back together to make something with modern tech... Stranger things have happened!

Really appreciate the kind words, thanks! This was probably my #2 personal-dream-come-true career moment, right after getting the first Jason Jones interview in 11 years earlier this summer.

G-Fex

ahahaha

Also it's amazing watching that Romero post-mortem from 2011 where he's talking about how Carmack initially wanted these utilitarian realistic military bunkers for level inspiration because they would be technically simple to do and fit the story of the game. Romero hated them because they were all a bunch of gray hallways until he finally started to play with the height and details to make something more abstract and striking, and they changed direction to the level and art direction that made Doom iconic.

Fast forward ten years, and Doom 3 is a bunch of gray utilitarian hallways because it's easier to do when you have all that advanced lighting and shadows and also it fits the story.

Romero was really the creativity that powered Doom. Shame things didn't work out.

I remember someone on stream telling me about Romero being gone was the reason Quake 2 was a far far slower and more militaristic shooter.

notBald

Thank you for this I've been playing Doom for 20 years but have generally gone with the vanilla version. Been dying to try Brutal Doom and finally gave it a go tonight; it's awesome! Are there any good tweak guides for Zandronum / GZDoom? There are an overwhelming amount of settings which don't seem to be very well documented, unless I'm not looking in the right place. The default is kind of OK, and upping the resolution goes a long way (though greatly borks the aspect ratio on most modern monitors), but I feel like a lot more can be done.
The only tweaks I've done is add the high rez textures and turn off HQ4X scaling for said textures (but keeping it for sprites). Shadow Hog mentioned that you can get GZDoom to do lighting in a similar manner to vanilla, so that must be one of the myriad of settings.

But if you want better graphics there's only so far you can get with vanilla levels.

Check out the Real Icon of Sin and Jungle map for the best looking Doom levels I've seen. They're by the same guy who made Brutal Doom.

BigDug13

It got shat on because it came out at the same time as Turok, and while D64 was a fun game, it didn't have the graphical chops Turok did (3d, fluid animations). Not saying Turok was necessarily the better game, but public opinion of the time is that it was.

It really got shat on because it offered zero multiplayer whatsoever. Which sucks for the game system that brought 4 player couch gaming back to the forefront. Not even 2 player split screen? But as a single player game, it's one of my favorites and in my mind is the true Doom 3.

Hexen 64 offered 4 player split screen co-op and deathmatch multiplayer. A true gem IMO that went unnoticed on that system. I loved my copy. 4 player co-op on a single system...something Goldeneye didn't even offer.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Damn. Turok and Turok 2 are games I really wish got the HD port treatment. Imagine Turok 1 with an actual draw distance.

For what it's worth, you can get Turok 2 on PC. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's probably the closest you'll get (alongside emulators of course.)

It's amazing that it's the anniversary now just as I'm finishing up my playthrough of over 150ish levels of Doom. Still so much fun to play. :)

Shadow Hog mentioned that you can get GZDoom to do lighting in a similar manner to vanilla, so that must be one of the myriad of settings.
Should be "Options" -> "Display Options" -> "OpenGL Preferences" -> [one of three options, I forget which] -> "Sector Lighting"; set it to "Software". I believe the settings for how you want the Spectres to be displayed should be hiding under "OpenGL Preferences" as well (the option name will have the word "Shadow" in it).

Also, I personally turn off all bilinear filtering - but leave mip-mapping and anisotropic filtering on. Something about Doom having chunky pixels feels right, but having Moiré effects (even if they're present in the original EXE), not so much.

Yeah, ZDoom has a crapload of options, most of which you'll probably never use or have no idea what to do with. Could be worse, I suppose.

Oh, one more mod for the pile: Reelism is friggin' amazing. It's basically an arena mod, except every round has random modifiers (represented by numbered slot reels) applied to it, determining what monsters come out, what weapons you get, and one odd quirk on top of all that (low gravity, monsters explode when killed, super running speed, no friction, monsters run around confusedly instead of attacking, super firing speed, etc). There are even bonus modifiers if the numbers on the reels hit certain combos (for instance, 6-6-6 turns you into a Cyberdemon, 4-4-4 kills you instantly, 10-10-10 forces you to take a minute's break, etc). Then, every 5-10 rounds (depending on the gametype), you fight a boss monster, ranging from a ghost with plasma gun powers, another player, a Dog Pope, Hitler, or a wizard in a monster truck. It's unbridled chaos, and I love it.

GZDoom recommended. Doesn't work in Zandronum; it's based on too old a version of ZDoom. Should work on recent versions of ZDoom (since those add support for 3D floors), but the framerate will likely be awful.

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah, Doom was lightning in a bottle for sure. The specific combination of personalities was probably too volatile to survive their individual growth (read Masters of Doom for more details), but it was also one of the reasons Doom has been so enduring.

Deeply unfortunate. I still think Quake 3 was a masterpiece, but Doom 3 and Rage were more tech demos than really solid games (you see anyone saying anything hype about Rage ever these days?).

I actually quite liked the hell parts of Doom 3, they were awesomely done, but the base was sterile as hell, and the combat in general was just meh. As far as atmosphere goes, I don't think Doom as a horror game really works.

Doom itself was incidentally scary due to strong atmosphere (in the same way Thief or even Deus Ex could make you jump), but it wasn't the real strength of the game - rock solid gameplay and fun levels made the game what it is.

But all parts were and are important, Carmack's insistence on moddability and open code access have given us an effectively endless supply of user made content, and his forward thinking on many technical aspects ensured that were can still play Doom or Quake on completely modern systems with very modern source ports.

It's a real bummer that id didn't continue to produce industry shakers, they had the technical talent, but it feels like the creative soul wasn't there in the later years.

(Epic has an almost equally interesting trajectory, as a peer in technological development and gameplay in the same genre, albeit a bit later in the game).

Respawn and Bungie are probably the closest thing we have to original id/Epic these days. I'd add Valve, but they've gone in a very different direction.

RedSwirl

Should be "Options" -> "Display Options" -> "OpenGL Preferences" -> [one of three options, I forget which] -> "Sector Lighting"; set it to "Software". I believe the settings for how you want the Spectres to be displayed should be hiding under "OpenGL Preferences" as well (the option name will have the word "Shadow" in it).

Also, I personally turn off all bilinear filtering - but leave mip-mapping and anisotropic filtering on. Something about Doom having chunky pixels feels right, but having Moiré effects (even if they're present in the original EXE), not so much.

Yeah, ZDoom has a crapload of options, most of which you'll probably never use or have no idea what to do with. Could be worse, I suppose.

Oh, one more mod for the pile: Reelism is friggin' amazing. It's basically an arena mod, except every round has random modifiers (represented by numbered slot reels) applied to it, determining what monsters come out, what weapons you get, and one odd quirk on top of all that (low gravity, monsters explode when killed, super running speed, no friction, monsters run around confusedly instead of attacking, super firing speed, etc). There are even bonus modifiers if the numbers on the reels hit certain combos (for instance, 6-6-6 turns you into a Cyberdemon, 4-4-4 kills you instantly, 10-10-10 forces you to take a minute's break, etc). Then, every 5-10 rounds (depending on the gametype), you fight a boss monster, ranging from a ghost with plasma gun powers, another player, a Dog Pope, Hitler, or a wizard in a monster truck. It's unbridled chaos, and I love it.

GZDoom recommended. Doesn't work in Zandronum; it's based on too old a version of ZDoom. Should work on recent versions of ZDoom (since those add support for 3D floors), but the framerate will likely be awful.

I've been messing around with something similar on DOOM 64 EX. By default the filtering is set to "Nearest" which gives all the textures that blurry N64 look DOOM 64 is supposed to have. I set it to "linear" though which gives it the chunky pixel look more common in DOOM and PlayStation games. It's an odd switch-off.

Sciz

Giving Plutonia another go for the first time in a decade or so.

God damn but these guys loved chaingunners and monster closets.

I've been messing around with something similar on DOOM 64 EX. By default the filtering is set to "Nearest" which gives all the textures that blurry N64 look DOOM 64 is supposed to have. I set it to "linear" though which gives it the chunky pixel look more common in DOOM and PlayStation games.

And transform the skies in an incoherent mess of giant pixels. Look, linear filtering and DOOM are a must for me, but D64 is the only exception to this rule - his graphics were designed with the nearest mode in mind, and should stay this way.

I'm a few levels info Winter's Fury and it's great. Really love the SSG. Also been playing the claustrophobia map pack and it's pretty good, though I could do without the trope of having to go all the way back to the beginning of a map right before the end. It's not clever anymore guys :p

Is GZDoom what everyone else is using to play wads? Or is there something better out there? I wish it had it's own launcher and wad selector.

I still remember first playing this game as a youngin' at our local Comp USA store. I remember being blow away by its presentation, graphics, and of course gore. Truly a revolution in gaming. Later on I went to my cousins house and played the crap out of Doom, and Sim City. Great memories. :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Jesus. I just tried to play Final DOOM on a TV with a controller. How the fuck do you do it?
Well, if it were me, I'd use ZDoom and an Xbox controller and connect my laptop via HDMI out or one of the other two video outs my Retina Pro has via adapters.

Though I wouldn't use a controller. I'd rather use my keyboard and trackpad. I play much faster with my Magic Trackpad than a mouse or controller these days.

Except that my TV is 768p while my laptop is 1600p. So I'd much rather play it on my laptop.

Top Bottom