• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Doom 20th anniversery thread of ripping and tearing one's guts

sniperpon

I'm getting old :-/ I remember playing the Shareware version right when it came out. I still play Doom-- and Wolf3d actually-- regularly to this day.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Heh. I forgot how hilariously awesome the secret Club Doom level was in the PSX Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNpho45LnhE

Where's my 3DS port?! Imps chucking fireballs at me in 3D would be the most amazing thing ever.
You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Hell, how about an Oculus Rift mod for the game? It be a helluva 3D experience.

Maybe i'm in the minority but i think Doom 3 is the best one.

The original is still awesome though.

Not sure about the best in the series, but it's definitely not worse than original games. It's different, but it's what I love it for. Brilliant game; one of the few masterpieces I'm willing to replay on annual basis.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm getting old :-/ I remember playing the Shareware version right when it came out. I still play Doom-- and Wolf3d actually-- regularly to this day.

I remember playing through all of Doom/Doom 2/etc on my PC in 2000-2001 while listening to Metallica's 80s albums. I was 16-17 at the time so it was generally me catching up with stuff. :p

That said, I play Brutal Doom daily. There's more than enough level packs to make the game near-infinitely replayable. Not to mention the glory of the original games.

SteveWD40

Could use a Vita port too!

Keep porting it to everything ever

Well, as I said, it would be as simple as setting the version on the PSN from PS3 only to PS3 and Vita and popping it on the Vita store. Probably just the flick of a switch.

The PS1 version would be fine, it has Doom2 built in iirc.

kick51

Banned
Well, as I said, it would be as simple as setting the version on the PSN from PS3 only to PS3 and Vita and popping it on the Vita store. Probably just the flick of a switch.

The PS1 version would be fine, it has Doom2 built in iirc.

speaking of that

is Classic Complete (PSN version) better than Final Doom (PS1)?

I can get a disc of Final Doom for a few bucks probably vs. $15 for classic complete (which I think I just missed a sale on, dammit)

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Doom 64 gets no love?
As I've stated...

Because I mainly focused on the first Doom, since it is the 20th anniversary after all. It wasn't exactly a port of anything, either.

speaking of that

is Classic Complete (PSN version) better than Final Doom (PS1)?

I can get a disc of Final Doom for a few bucks probably vs. $15 for classic complete (which I think I just missed a sale on, dammit)
It should be. PSX Final Doom only has a fraction of the levels that are available on the PC version (11 for Evilution and ONLY 6 for Plutonia).

Moofers

Hey gang, don't forget that Doom 3 BFG edition (which can be found for very cheap) came with Doom 1 and 2 on the disc as well. Love my PS3 version :)

And those who say the PS1 version of Doom rocked, you are right! I still have mine and never want to lose it. The soundtrack and the changes made to the lighting brought a new level of intensity to the games for me.

daveo42

Banned
It's been a long time since I've played the original Doom. Had Ultimate Edition, which was a ton of fun back in the day. I have it on Steam now, so I might spend a little time with it in the near future and kick some demon ass.

danmaku

When I first played Doom I thought the graphics were photorealistic.

How times have changed lol.

Doom was the game that convinced me I had to get a PC. I saw it running on a friend's 386 and my jaw dropped to the floor. I don't think it was even on the highest detail setting, but it looked so good I thought games couldn't get more realistic than that. And playing in the dark with headphones... holy crap. The cyberdemon was the scariest boss ever.

THUMP

THUMP

THUMP

THUMP

THUMP

THUMP

So Doom II was the first videogame I ever played. My family had recently purchased a new computer and my mother asked the rep at the store what the best game for a five year old would be.

Those were different times...

I think what I remember most fondly about that series were the amazing sound effects.

I almost forgot, that amazing level design was great as well. Never not press space on every wall in the level.

Koralsky

Beat the game on 32X, PC, Saturn, PlayStation, Xbox and I'm playing PS3 version right now.

Played (not finish) SNES and 3DO version.

One of the most importan game in my life. Great, great memories~!

mantidor

I don't think it was even on the highest detail setting, but it looked so good I thought games couldn't get more realistic than that.

I don't recall Doom having graphics quality settings. Resolution was definitely fixed, can't remember anything else.

OmahaG8

So many hours of DOOM and C&C when I was a kid. . . I remember getting my first Pentium equivalent computer. Blew my socks off.

LakeEarth

Doom 1 is meant to be played on ultra-violence for maximum fun. You're always in danger, the enemy count is high, but it never gets too frustrating.

Nightmare is not fun to just randomly try out. Since enemies keep respawning, your resources start dwindling fast. You can't wander around going "wait, how do you get the blue key again?" You have to have a "speedrun" planned out for that level if you're playing Nightmare.

tuffy

I don't recall Doom having graphics quality settings. Resolution was definitely fixed, can't remember anything else.
It did, as I recall. One could choose "low" or "high" quality, where "low" would give you chunkier pixels in exchange for smoother performance. It made a big difference when running on a 386.

There really is something to be said with this. The increase in fidelity and capabilities in machines make for games that want to contextualize everything for their story presentation, this is a double sided sword as most games really do just end up wasting your time with it and making it a slog to replay. Meanwhile I can start up Doom, select my difficulty, and there I am, E1M1 pistol in hand seconds away from an encounter. This wasn't unique to Doom at the time as even games with more of a narrative pull did the same, like Marathon. However id did stick with it for a while, Quake and Quake 2 also had you starting in the action while games were already beginning to show signs of the slow establishing start, and by Doom 3 they finally ditch their classic approach.

I think games now could learn a thing from going back to that style of opening; while Doom benefited from its fairly abstract presentation that helped with the map layouts being designed solely for their playability, there are still ways to incorporate its snappy gameplay focus while also trying to contextualize the world. Just immediately put me in the game, gun in hand, and design the world so that players can piece the clues together of what's happening if they care to. I can't tell you how many games there are that I find really fun that I just have no interest in touching again because of the slog that their cutscenes and slow establishment of the opening act and mechanics present. It's disappointing.

I remember how mysterious the world of Doom seemed to me back in the day. The narrative element was at its bare minimum - there were a few walls of text ( literally ) between episodes, and a bit of a backstory, but that was it. No text-logs ( a lá Marathon ) or anything of that sort - just sprawling levels of mayhem and your own imagination.

Sure, I am an adult now, but I still get that kick from Doom. My imagination starts to expand the ( limited ) world. Here I am, slaughtering demons, but how - exactly - did the demons get here? Who were the researchers behind the teleportation-project that went so horribly wrong? Is the body of that marine a guy I knew, or just a guy?

In other words: I agree with your post. Current games tend to over-expose themselves with thorough narratives and what not. The greatest modern example of a good beginning ( and story-telling in general ) is BioShock, in my opinion. There you are, thrown into the ocean from a burning plane, and you discover this mystical underwater world. Slowly you start to notice that everything has gone to hell. You pick up audiologs that give you glimpses to the past glory of the world you are exploring. And your imagination does the rest. It is no wonder that the first BioShock - along with Doom - belong to my all-time Top 10 list.

MDSLKTR

I could have almost bought doom psx (best version) this weekend but the clerk said there was a mistake in their inventory :( maybe I should just order it on ebay

robin2

There's no other SP game that I played as much as the Doom classic saga (doom/ultimate ,doom 2, final doom). Infinite replay value. Strictly with the classic keyboard-only control scheme, because using the mouse makes it too easy.

Amazing game. The Cyberdemon, the BFG. Legendary stuff.

Great post minus the Brutal Doom recommendation. Please remove it, it bastardizes the game.

I concur.

Pysched to see a DooM thread, tip of the hat to OP.

I still have my pewter Cyberdemon & DooM II is still my favorite game of all time. Built my first PC (a Cyrix 6x86 RIP) to play it & my friends and I rigged up a coax network. That's right - this was right before 10 base T was affordable.

Ignore the ethernet port in this pic & that's what you're stuck with.
pic023.jpg

Shane

I used to be able to complete the first level on Ultra Violence blindfolded. I've played through it a few times.

And it is the best game of all time. No. Wait. The top two games of all time.

bjork

Best FPS, still. Loved it when I first played it on a 386, had just as much fun playing it a couple years back on 360.

I'd totally buy a new DOOM in the original's style, chunky graphics and all.

peakish

I've watched someone playing the game properly just recently, and realized that I've never done that. It's made me want to do some no-save Nightmare play instead of treating it like a regular FPS with just getting through the levels, which mind you has been enough to keep it as one of my favorite games, haha.

Don't agree with this.. at all. This music is more fitting for something like D64, but it feels like the antithesis of what Doom is supposed to be. 90s thrash metal runs in Doom's DNA, and the game was made to be a blood pumping, lightning paced death carnival. That music does not put me in the mood to run around at 60 scale miles an hour slaughtering demons.

I wonder how many people ever played the game with anything better than crappy sb or windows midi.
One of these days I'll install a better MIDI pack, I swear ...

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/12/john-carmack-doom/all

Q&A with Carmack on the creation of Doom and other things. Sorry if already posted.
As far as Oculus specifically: If I had free time, which I absolutely do not, I wish that I could bring the Doom 3 stuff over. Sometime, years from now, all of the gory details of everything from the last year and a half or so will come out, but now is not the time to be talking about all of it. But I did feel really bad about the fact that I had pseudo-promised Doom 3 for the Rift when I was first talking about it, and now the fact that it didn’t get released, I felt personally uncomfortable with how that turned out. I wish I could be doing that, but I do not have the time now. I’m busy working on a bunch of exciting things that I can’t talk about and wish I could.
It'll be interesting to see what will come out of this some time. My guess is on Zenimax not liking that any time was spent on some pet projects rather than getting Doom 4 back in shape after Rage limped out of the gate.

Ketch

When I was young I lived out in the middle of nowhere.

I remember me and my best friend riding our bikes like 15 miles to the public library to play DOOM shareware in the computer room for like 6 hours straight. They don't make games like that anymore.

This thread needs more DOOM theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf47DQj_2Gg

lordy88

I've got Doom and Doom 2 on the 360.

Are they ports of the base games, or do they also include Master Levels and levels from Final Doom and so on?

hellocld

Man, I remember playing DOOM when it first came out on my friend's dad's 486. Later on in middle school I managed to get a beater rig set up in the computer lab out of parts from the school basement. Said it was for "research" and "game design". Totally just a DOOM machine.

JNT

Are they ports of the base games, or do they also include Master Levels and levels from Final Doom and so on?

I'm pretty sure they do not include those levels, although I believe Doom 2 includes a completely new episode by the people that made the port.

Regarding Brutal Doom. I count myself as a Doom purist. Whenever I start the original Doom and Doom 2 I play it using Chocolate Doom or using DosBox. I also exclusively use the keyboard as I feel as though the difficulty has been adapted with the keyboard in mind. That being said, I can still appreciate Brutal Doom, especially when applied to Doom 2. I see it as a different game alltogether.

What a coincidence. I've been playing PSX Doom almost every night for the last week on my PSP via TV out. Didn't even know there was a 20th anniversary going on and it's the first time I've played it since it first came out on PC. Kinda miss the rockin tunes of the PC version, but the ambient stuff is nice too. Overall it's a great port though. I am kinda shocked at how enjoyable it still is after all these years.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

They're straight up ports. Only the PS3 version comes with Final Doom and Master Levels.

Also, if you forget how to beat the Cyberdemon...

Protip_cyberdemon.jpg

bjork

I'm pretty sure they do not include those levels, although I believe Doom 2 includes a completely new episode by the people that made the port.

Yep, that new episode is pretty tough, too. iirc, beating that episode is how you unlocked the avatar awards for it?

Wired Q&A: Doom’s Creator Looks Back on 20 Years of Demonic Mayhem : http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/12/john-carmack-doom/ (new Interview with John Carmack)

From Wired:

At the stroke of midnight on December 10, 1993, an executive at id Software uploaded a file to an FTP site on the University of Washington’s network. The filename was doom1_0.zip. Thus did one of the great revolutions in the world of gaming begin—not with a spectacular launch party and a multimillion-dollar ad campaign, but with a 2MB file transfer.

From there, gamers picked up the ball; they downloaded the shareware file and immediately uploaded it to other FTP sites and local bulletin board systems. Download by download, Doom started to make its way around the world. It would become nothing short of a cultural phenomenon, popularizing the first-person shooter genre of games and shifting the predominant aesthetic of games from “Saturday morning cartoon” to “Saturday night horror double feature.”

Id’s previous games like Commander Keen and Wolfenstein 3-D were technological marvels that were starting to make personal computers a viable alternative to game consoles for fast-paced action games. At the heart of these innovative games was the technology created by id’s programming genius and co-founder John Carmack, who in the years since Doom‘s release has continued to create increasingly stunning graphic engines for id’s games. On November 22 of this year, Carmack left id to become CTO of Oculus VR, a company developing a head-mounted gaming virtual reality display.

Also John Carmack posted this on his twitter:

Bill Gates enters the big DOOM Tournament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0K58EfJSg
Bill%20Gates%20en%20juego%20Doom.jpg

This was an actual video that Bill Gates made in 1995.he's in a trench coat and weilding a shotgun. It was an attempt from Microsoft to persuade game developers to move from DOS over to Microsoft's Direct X.

John Romero posted this on his twitter... Polygons 20 year anniversary retrospective on Doom: http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/10/5192960/celebrating-20-years-dooms-legacy-is-its-human-connection

Doom is one of those games I have really fond memories of, moreso than a lot of other games from the same period (or before or after really). I had a friend who lived in the same street who had it on PC and, considering I was a Mega Drive kid at the time, seeing it running was pretty special. The summer of 94 was largely spent with my brother and two friends playing it literally noon to night, loving every minute of it.

I bought a copy of my own when I got my 32X the following Christmas and enjoyed that a lot too, when it decided to work. I remember me and my bro getting a link cable and another copy of the game and playing multiplayer in separate rooms on the PS1!

So yeah, real landmark game for me, one I'l always love.

can they remake doom using the cryengine? i know its not their engine, but its the best one and this has the potential to reach REmake levels of awesome

Apologies for the shameless plug here, but last week John Romero came by IGN and played through Episode 1 of Doom with me to celebrate the 20th anniversary. It was a dream come true for me as Doom was a life-changing game for me (as it no doubt was for many of you) and in the spirit of the thread I'm hoping you guys might enjoy it. It's basically a 90-minute interview...that we're playing Doom over the top of. :)

Watching John Romero walk around in the game and talk about the maps that he made is fascinating. Awesome video interview. . Looks like you guys are playing this on the Doomsday engine though. But then again, I guess Doomsday is one of the best ways to play Doom co-op on a modern PC without any hassle.

Also interesting that the game was developed on Next Step work stations.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
can they remake doom using the cryengine? i know its not their engine, but its the best one and this has the potential to reach REmake levels of awesome
They managed to get the Knee Deep in the Dead episode remade in idTech4, but don't expect anymore than that, due to possible legal reasons.

One of my all time favorite games. Its the game i go to and boot up whenever i'm bored of everything else. Put on nightmare and rush through levels, seeing how far i can get.

I own nearly every version of the game, including jaguar despite not owning a jaguar. I've played through tons of wads and mods of the game. My favorite probably being the newer brutal doom and using it on plutonium and TNT as they are the maps i'm least familiar with.

Superb game, and for me its a completely timeless one.

OP: This may have been mentioned but the PS3 port despite being of slightly lower quality than the 360 does add the better weapon select option from doom 2 360 into doom 1 & more importantly add the master levels for doom 2 and final doom.

Top Bottom