• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Double Toasted team AKA the best film reviewers out there

I think Girts is becoming a requirement for me now.
Watched Arrival last night so I went back and watched the Double Toasted review, and really felt his absence.

He has really earned his place imo.

I like Girts on the Weekly show. I like him used sparingly on the review show. I think it's the perfect dose without feeling too burned out on him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Trailer Reaction

Hope they put up the video for their Alien: Covenant Reaction. Martin summed up my thoughts on every recent Terminator and Alien movie attempt.

I knew they were going to go in on the "We're family line." That and slowing down an 80s song in a trailer, they'll call it out haha

Fandangox

I like Girts on the Weekly show. I like him used sparingly on the review show. I think it's the perfect dose without feeling too burned out on him.

My favorite joke involving girts was the one in the Get Out review where they were talking about being detained by the police and Korey makes a joke about Girts being all "LEAVE MY MAN ALONE"

dead

this ensemble really works lol

I remember these guy from Spill! Stopped watching their content a long-ass time ago but I'm willing to give these guys another shot after work.

Mauddib

Banned
I'm trying to get into Double Toasted but I don't understand why everyone loves these guys. You basically have one dude talking over three other guys. The reviews are way longer than they should be because they're covering way more than they need to, they have little information on the production process of the film, and they aren't all that funny (although that's a matter of opinion).

What's the hype about?

I'm trying to get into Double Toasted but I don't understand why everyone loves these guys. You basically have one dude talking over three other guys. The reviews are way longer than they should be because they're covering way more than they need to, they have little information on the production process of the film, and they aren't all that funny (although that's a matter of opinion).

What's the hype about?

They are entertaining as hell. Honestly for me it's less about the review and more about just hearing them joke around with each other. I actually like the long lengths because I personally can't get enough of them.

Burt

PYLHf9s.gif

I knew this would come in handy one day

What's the hype about?

I would say Korey tends to talk over everyone a lot more than he did in the Spill days. You should listen to some of the old spill reviews to get an idea of why we like these guys.

yunbuns

They are entertaining as hell. Honestly for me it's less about the review and more about just hearing them joke around with each other. I actually like the long lengths because I personally can't get enough of them.

Yeah pretty much this. Sometimes Korey can become overbearing but that's rare and when it happens I usually just skip over it.

Anyway, I really love the show with Oz. I'm glad it's becoming a regular thing.

This is probably the only downside for me. I would prefer it if Korey didn't talk for the majority of the time.

I think part of it is that there is a feeling of seniority when it comes to Korey and Martin vs Goodwin and Girts. It still feels like are subordinate to their seniors. Whereas Korey, MArtin, Tony, and Chris all felt like equals even though Korey was ultimately the boss handling everything. They all get equal airtime. Not to say Korey is exercising his seniority on doubletoasted though. He's trying to grow their talent and help them find their voice letting them do their own shows. Goodwin and Girts just need to get more comfortable with interjecting and do it more often.

Calabi

What's the hype about?

There funny and their smart and perceptive on occasions.

What's the hype about?
If they aren't all that funny to you, then you're not going to get into Double Toasted. Different folks find different things /styles humorous. I find them hilarious, so I enjoy the longer length of the reviews.

Lijik

and they aren't all that funny (although that's a matter of opinion).

What's the hype about?

I mean this is like going into a random game OT saying "I dont think this game is any fun, why do yall like it?" as if the answer isnt going to be "We all think its fun"

Mesousa

Banned

What's the hype about?

I think if you come in expecting Spill pt.2 you are gonna be disappointed. You have to take it as a new thing.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Going off Monday's show, it sounds like they're trying to work Danielle back in. Korey was talking about maybe doing a Friday show.

Going off Monday's show, it sounds like they're trying to work Danielle back in. Korey was talking about maybe doing a Friday show.
Ehhh while her crazy (read: fucked up) stories about her life are good for the occasional awkward laugh, she works better behind the camera rather than in front of it. IMO. Exact opposite of Girts

RedAssedApe

Banned

What's the hype about?

i'm new to the show...i find them hilarious. not really something you listen to if you want a quick and dirty review of something. perfect for a commute to or from work. if you don't enjoy the humor then its probably just never going to be your cup of tea...

Sai

Ehhh while her crazy (read: fucked up) stories about her life are good for the occasional awkward laugh, she works better behind the camera rather than in front of it. IMO. Exact opposite of Girts
She and Korey had a good thing going for a while on the Casual Call-In show. So long as its a topic that interests her, she can be really funny(not always intentionally), and stays engaged.

I mean, I was really close to dropping the Monday show because of her a while back. Think I said it in this thread, actually. I think Korey's found the right groove for her.

RedAssedApe

Banned
She and Korey had a good thing going for a while on the Casual Call-In show. So long as its a topic that interests her, she can be really funny(not always intentionally), and stays engaged.

I mean, I was really close to dropping the Monday show because of her a while back. Think I said it in this thread, actually. I think Korey's found the right groove for her.

I only watch the clips on YouTube so I was always confused why she was on the show. It may have just been a coincidence (as I selectively pick which videos I want to watch) but she seems to engage/chime in even less than gert

Also it sounds like the review and reacts stuff isn't really her bit either?

Grizzlyjin

I only watch the clips on YouTube so I was always confused why she was on the show. It may have just been a coincidence (as I selectively pick which videos I want to watch) but she seems to engage/chime in even less than gert

Also it sounds like the review and reacts stuff isn't really her bit either?

She doesn't know anything about comic book stuff. She tried for a little bit but it wasn't working. You could read 100 wikipedia articles on comics and never "get" it. But she knows about pop culture stuff like musicians and celebrities, so it's good to have her around for those discussions. And raunchy relationship advice.

She doesn't know anything about comic book stuff. She tried for a little bit but it wasn't working. You could read 100 wikipedia articles on comics and never "get" it. But she knows about pop culture stuff like musicians and celebrities, so it's good to have her around for those discussions. And raunchy relationship advice.
General rule of thumb is take anything she says and do the opposite of that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, Danielle's involvement makes more sense if you watch the full shows or listen to the podcasts. I like her when they're talking about celebrities or life in general. She definitely works better when it's just her and Korey though.

Grizzlyjin

General rule of thumb is take anything she says and do the opposite of that.

Yeah, her new dude is ghosting her so she might not be in the best position lol. I love how ridiculous her stories suddenly get. Plus, it's nice to have some feminine energy around the place.

wanders

i'm new to the show...i find them hilarious. not really something you listen to if you want a quick and dirty review of something. perfect for a commute to or from work. if you don't enjoy the humor then its probably just never going to be your cup of tea...

Yup I'm new to them too. It's perfect for my commute or when I'm studying. These guys are great though. How come they are not more popular???

RedAssedApe

Banned
oh...and also what's up with all the random people that seem to be just hanging out in the studio? they occasionally cut to them in the youtube videos and there are like just 4-5 people lounging? i'm assuming some work behind the scenes but the rest seem like a lot for a podcast

oh...and also what's up with all the random people that seem to be just hanging out in the studio? they occasionally cut to them in the youtube videos and there are like just 4-5 people lounging? i'm assuming some work behind the scenes but the rest seem like a lot for a podcast

Most of them are just long time fans/friends of the guys. Few of them are interns or other employees tho.

Phased

I think if you come in expecting Spill pt.2 you are gonna be disappointed. You have to take it as a new thing.

I really have no experience with them before Double Toasted so I can't really imagine it any other way. I just found them randomly on GAF some time back and found it consistently hilarious.

Sometimes they have a "live audience" sit in on their shows. Just friends and fans in the area are welcome to come and watch them in person I think.

Top Bottom