• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The E3 2017 floor plans are up

Alebrije

I never really noticed the anti-Microsoft sentiments people always claimed about Gaf. But reading this thread kind of brought some of that to light.

MS having a smaller booth does not necessarily correlate to any failure on their part. Most games are probably 3rd party for sure, but those games should look and play better on Scorpio if MS delivers.

Would I like MS to invest heavily in exclusive games? Not really to be honest. Exclusives, while a reason to get one system over another, only serve to fragment gamers. Imagine how much better it would have been to have Xbox and PS and Nintendo gamers playing Rockeg League against each other, without these bs boundaries and game developer affiliations. I'd rather be able to play all games on a system of my choosing and that choice would be made based on whoever gives me the best value in terms of console, not games. I want to play Halo and Metroid and The Last of Us and not feel burdened to have to buy 3 different consoles.

It's like people want MS to fail when it's in gaming's best interest for them to be successful and not have Sony dominate the market place. I guess people forgot what the first 5 years of the PS3 were like.

Sorry but exclusives are the core of competition, being different is what moves the industry. And all in one console would kill the competitiveness on the long run.

The market has space for 3 hardaware competitors like now, and above any console war or fan base hope the 3 companies behave well in terms of profit.

That WB booth is surprising. Maybe they are publishing new game from Avalanche or they are ready to show WB Montreal project? I don't think that Techland will use publishers anymore so Dying Light 2 is probably out of question for WB booth.

I don't think Techland quite have the publishing chops to handle Dying Light 2 all by themselves just yet. Plus, I have no idea how these contracts work, but I would assume a big publisher like WB would at least have first refusal on any sequel.

The size differences between Xbox >>> Nintendo > Sony, correlates pretty well with how many exclusive games I was expecting. I guess Scorpio won't really be playable(?).

It's crazy. Nintendo's is almost twice the size of MS's and Sony's is a quarter bigger again. You would think MS would have a lot of floor space with hundreds of Scorpio consoles lined up to show off their new hardware. Sony I expect have a lot of space because of PSVR demos, but hopefully they'll have playable demos for GoW, Spider-Man and Days Gone as well. I'm pretty sure they had playable conference demos for Horizon many months before launch as well, which would imply similar confidence in their slate of forthcoming games.

Elandyll

Banned
I never really noticed the anti-Microsoft sentiments people always claimed about Gaf. But reading this thread kind of brought some of that to light.

MS having a smaller booth does not necessarily correlate to any failure on their part. Most games are probably 3rd party for sure, but those games should look and play better on Scorpio if MS delivers.

Would I like MS to invest heavily in exclusive games? Not really to be honest. Exclusives, while a reason to get one system over another, only serve to fragment gamers. Imagine how much better it would have been to have Xbox and PS and Nintendo gamers playing Rockeg League against each other, without these bs boundaries and game developer affiliations. I'd rather be able to play all games on a system of my choosing and that choice would be made based on whoever gives me the best value in terms of console, not games. I want to play Halo and Metroid and The Last of Us and not feel burdened to have to buy 3 different consoles.

It's like people want MS to fail when it's in gaming's best interest for them to be successful and not have Sony dominate the market place. I guess people forgot what the first 5 years of the PS3 were like.

It's not about "wanting them to fail", but 2017 is seen as their last best hope (not for victory) to get back their mojo, at least in the US.

- they have Scorpio, a brand new hardware to showcase, a VR solution (from Acer) and VR controllers
- one would hope they also have a lot of games (new or not) to show

So people are legitimately surprised at seeing the space shrinking.

But as was said, it might also relate to private booths being moved to 2nd floor anyway.

dex3108

I don't think Techland quite have the publishing chops to handle Dying Light 2 all by themselves just yet. Plus, I have no idea how these contracts work, but I would assume a big publisher like WB would at least have first refusal on any sequel.

Well Techland is publishing company now. It would be a bit strange that publisher needs other publisher to publish their game :D

Sorry but exclusives are the core of competition, being different is what moves the industry. And all in one console would kill the competitiveness on the long run.

Not if the competition is based on who makes the best console itself. Pushing hardware on all fronts would also allow developers to take more risks with games because they know their games will be available to the broadest of audiences.

I get the argument for exclusivity but I think it hurts the industry more than helps.

Imagine for a second that DVD players were split between two devices (HDVD and Blu Ray) and you had to buy both devices to play all you movies. Everyone would be looking for exclusive movies and not actually pushing DVD players to their maximum potential.

Android and iPhones have largely the same apps and their defining features as phones is what makes people chose one or the other.

Alebrije

It's not about "wanting them to fail", but 2017 is seen as their last best hope (not for victory) to get back their mojo, at least in the US.

- they have Scorpio, a brand new hardware to showcase, a VR solution (from Acer) and VR controllers

But as was said, it might also relate to private booths being moved to 2nd floor anyway.

Maybe a lot of people are overestimating Scorpio, MS has been cautious and clear that is not a new generation but some core fans think Scorpio will return MS as the leader of the industry.

Scorpio seems great but we need to know it's price and more important the games MS is developing to support thier consoles.

Scorpio , VR are niche markets so all relies on the games.

But many in this thread are surprised yes, but it's clear by their intonation that they are pleased with this development. There's PLENTY of space in the amount that they have to put tons of kiosks all playing games on Scorpio. And who's to say that many of the games at other booths won't also be playing games on Scorpio hardware. Just saying...

Not sure but I'm expecting some big announcements this year from them, especially with that much space.

Elder Scrolls VI

Don't do it to yourself pal! We're not going to be seeing TESVI release for a good couple of years, I reckon. Maybe late 2018 at the absolute soonest, but I think Bethesda are working on a new IP first, allegedly.

Well Techland is publishing company now. It would be a bit strange that publisher needs other publisher to publish their game :D

I'd assumed they only published digital games, but surprised to see they published Torment: Tides of Numeria. Anyway, as I said, it could be that WB has the publishing rights on say 3 Dying Light instalments, unless Techland buys those rights back. But that's all speculation. I don't personally think they will be publishing DL2 internally, but we'll see. Who even knows if DL2 will be at E3. I would guess it won't be, as we're less than 18 months since The Following and that was a very substantial expansion.

I don't think cause it's a smaller booth means they won't have anything to look forward to. People are very quick to ring the gloom bells.

Anyway, maybe a stupid question but are the conferences also held in the biggest areas booked or are those in different areas?

Akainu

Capcom USA booth bigger than SE.

Enough space to hold a DMC5 playable build booth.

giphy.gif

sad.

YaBish

Rösti;238655547 said:
The E3 2017 floor plans
By the way, thanks for doing this every year Rosti. Feels like the real start to the E3 season to me every time.

Anyways, I hope that the expansion of the PS both means that Sony has a lot of games to demo. Means that they might be further along than I expected on certain titles.

carlsojo

Don't do it to yourself pal! We're not going to be seeing TESVI release for a good couple of years, I reckon. Maybe late 2018 at the absolute soonest, but I think Bethesda are working on a new IP first, allegedly.

I'd assumed they only published digital games, but surprised to see they published Torment: Tides of Numeria. Anyway, as I said, it could be that WB has the publishing rights on say 3 Dying Light instalments, unless Techland buys those rights back. But that's all speculation. I don't personally think they will be publishing DL2 internally, but we'll see. Who even knows if DL2 will be at E3. I would guess it won't be, as we're less than 18 months since The Following and that was a very substantial expansion.

Oblivion came out in 2006, Skyrim came out in 2011.

BELIEVE

est1992

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of booth space some places are splashing out for given their lack of titles.

Like does Warner need a booth the size of Ubisoft to show off Shadow of War and LEGO Marvel?

They HAVE to have a new game up their sleeve. Last time they had a booth that size they had a couple titles already announced and then announced Injustice 2

RedHill

Banned
Why is WB so big? Surely Mordor won't need that much space. Could the report about Damian Wayne being rebooted internally be wrong?

Lunar15

Wow, it's pretty insane not seeing Microsoft in the West Hall.

I also keep forgetting that EA no longer has a booth.

est1992

Why is WB so big? Surely Mordor won't need that much space. Could the report about Damian Wayne being rebooted internally be wrong?

It could be. Personally I think Rocksteady will tease their next game with a CGI trailer, but probably not any gameplay.

c0de

Booth size means jack shit, it's how you utilize it. Bethesda had a humongous booth yhe past couple of years which basically consisted of statues and posters and nothing more. A baren walking space

Like last year 2k had a big space that was pretty much an indoor saloon to promote Mafia 3...like weeeeeee!

I can tell who has and who hasn't been E3 by people correlating booth space with playable games

Are you going to e3 again this year?

are gonna get Red and Blue hallway with Nintendo and Sony side by side now?
Probably already said but Nintendo and Sony are across from each other, not next to each other.

People who have been there before, what's the best swag path?
Probably start in the South Hall. Square usually gives away big tote bags. You can usually wander around the smaller third party booths for stuff. Nintendo/Atlus usually require you to play something before giving things away which can take forever with the lines but they're obviously the better quality stuff.

Not if the competition is based on who makes the best console itself. Pushing hardware on all fronts would also allow developers to take more risks with games because they know their games will be available to the broadest of audiences.

I get the argument for exclusivity but I think it hurts the industry more than helps.

Imagine for a second that DVD players were split between two devices (HDVD and Blu Ray) and you had to buy both devices to play all you movies. Everyone would be looking for exclusive movies and not actually pushing DVD players to their maximum potential.

Android and iPhones have largely the same apps and their defining features as phones is what makes people chose one or the other.

Having exclusive titles for your gaming console, or even a phone, isn't some new concept. It has been going on since the beginning. I am sorry, but I cannot agree that exclusives hurt the industry. They differentiate the platforms and entice potential customers. You have always had to make a choice for which console you buy for which games. That will continue.

Lunar15

The Nintendo/Sony setup is exactly like it was before, no? Microsoft's setup used to be to the left of Sony on the map: which is where that "iconic hallway" was.

RedHill

Banned
It could be. Personally I think Rocksteady will tease their next game with a CGI trailer, but probably not any gameplay.
I'm thinking that WB Montreal report is fake. They haven't released a game in four years and it's hard for me to believe that a studio would have one game cancelled in that time and start over on another and still be open

RedHill

Banned
To add onto the WB mystery, last year WB showed 3 Lego games, Injustice, and Arkham VR in a smaller space than this year's.

People don't want MS to fail, they want them to do better. If there were no such things as exclusive games then there would be no reason to have more than one company making consoles. Microsoft being around and not doing any better than they've managed this gen are no check on Sony. 360 MS was a competitor. They need to step up their game, and if you only have an Xbox One, I'd hope you'd want more games made for it.

I dunno about that. Posts suggesting exactly that pop quite often here.

As for what Ms is doing, it seems to me they are doing just as good if not better into pushing the industry forward, the most recent examples play anywhere, game pass, arena and looking for groups and clubs integrated in the system.

About games, yeah, it sucks that there's a gap from Japanese companies on xbox right now, but I have almost 400 games on xbone already, so it's not like there's nothing to play, on the contrary I'm literally drowning in games.

I dunno about that. Posts suggesting exactly that pop quite often here.

As for what Ms is doing, it seems to me they are doing just as good if not better into pushing the industry forward, the most recent examples play anywhere, game pass, arena and looking for groups and clubs integrated in the system.

About games, yeah, it sucks that there's a gap from Japanese companies on xbox right now, but I have almost 400 games on xbone already, so it's not like there's nothing to play, on the contrary I'm literally drowning in games.
They can still do better even if you enjoy the lineup.

Raitaro

Two thoughts:

- Sega/Atlus' booth seems rather modest for a company currently trying to convince the world that they are about to be amazing and full of old IP's and energy again.

- No Konami booth (unless they are one of the smallest ones that I didn't zoom in far enough on to read) still stings me as I for one had hoped for a new direction following upon Super Bomberman R's success as well as a new Castlevania to accompany the new (awesome looking) cartoon.

The rest seems OK and mostly predictable I guess?

That Take-Two booth next to Acti will be an interesting contrast to Destiny 2 if Gearbox/Take-Two have anything more about BL3 to show on the floor than whatever trailer they reveal.

Having exclusive titles for your gaming console, or even a phone, isn't some new concept. It has been going on since the beginning. I am sorry, but I cannot agree that exclusives hurt the industry. They differentiate the platforms and entice potential customers. You have always had to make a choice for which console you buy for which games. That will continue.

I agree with you,exclusives do matter even if they don't represent the lionshare of sales.

But I don't think Ms is lacking in that regard, their output is great imo. What they definitely dropped the ball is "letting" (emphasis on "") the competition receiving 3rd party games as exclusives even without a deal.

Had xbone also received Tales of Berseria, Nioh, Nier, Yakuza 0, Guilty Gear, Persona 5, Kingdom Hearts XYZ Collection (I don't remember how the number add up) in the first half of the year we wouldn't have that sentiment that their lineup is poor, likewise if all those games were exclusive to xbone we would likely be saying that sony output is weak.

That is however a huge problem right there. Just in H1 this year there many great games that weren't released on xbone, and honestly I'd rather see then addressing that as quickly as possible before trying to shakeup how they handle the games they publish (that do deserve more sales, but have been consistently great for me).

My issue is microsoft is launching new hardware in the fall/winter.

With E3 being open to the public, you would think they would want a big area with as many kiosks as possible to show off games running on said hardware, especially on 4k monitors.

I'm sure there are people that want MS to fail.

I personally want to see them give a shit again instead of being complacent in the middle or third place.

I'm just getting a complacency vibe from MS in terms of gaming. I guess I should hold my reservations until after E3, but that's the vibe I get these days.

I think floor plan releases are when I start getting excited. E3's just a week and a half out now!

I couldn't miss Nintendo and NVIDIA being parked together, either. That's nice. Hoping Bethesda's booth isn't just a bunch of empty space as before.

Top Bottom