• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Economist Safe Cities Index 2017: Tokyo is the safest city in the world

The safest city in the world, even though there's this one area of the city about ten square blocks large where some asshole with an eyepatch and snakeskin jacket will show up out of nowhere to beat the crap out of you.

Damn it I thought I was gonna be creative by posting Yakzua shit.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I can vouch for Tokyo. Awesome city and never felt unsafe, not even in the middle of the night strolling through alleys.
Same here. I love going to Tokyo and don’t have to deal with being mugged if walking the streets alone.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Barring certain areas I've never once felt worried or threatened walking the streets of Toronto.

North York, Rexdale and parts of Scarborough scary though.

Tokyo is nice but its also extremely homogeneous and xenophobic. I'd take a higher chance of getting mugged over living in a place like that any day.

Sounds about right. Friend and I were super fucked up one night in Tokyo and pretty much blacked out and fell asleep in a kids park? Woke up and I still had all my shit including all my money I brought for the trip, also met and hung out with this Japanese salary man who was throwing up in the parks restroom( I went in to throw up also). Last I remember is we went to a 7-11 and Don Quijote. Bought a couple more beers and drank at the park. No way I'd feel safe passing out in the street in the U.S. or in Mexico. Shout out to my boy Yusei for hanging with us.
VRc2mhO.jpg

fHGoHhm.jpg

Hypron

Interesting they chose Wellington over Auckland for NZ. Sure, Wellington is probably safer but it's a lot smaller in pretty much every metric too.

Dommo

In Tokyo, I saw a cop park their car and go into 7/11, leaving the keys in the ignition with the car idling. Was bizarre to see and couldn't imagine that happening in most other nations.

Dyle

Chicago safer than London/New York is absurd, even if the data completely ignored the west/south sides. Also unclear what they mean by the term megacity, there's a huge difference between a single city and a larger metropolitan area and it isn't clear how they breakdown that distinction/if they do at all. Chicago/suburbs are completely different beyond the border towns and it makes no sense in terms of how security is handled by city and local police forces. Digital security also seems completely overrated when the other three categories consistently threaten life and limb when digital security pretty much only threatens financial livelihood.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
In Tokyo, I saw a cop park their car and go into 7/11, leaving the keys in the ignition with the car idling. Was bizarre to see and couldn't imagine that happening in most other nations.

Who on earth would steal a cop car though.

bomma_man

Chicago safer than London/New York is absurd, even if the data completely ignored the west/south sides. Also unclear what they mean by the term megacity, there's a huge difference between a single city and a larger metropolitan area and it isn't clear how they breakdown that distinction/if they do at all. Chicago/suburbs are completely different beyond the border towns and it makes no sense in terms of how security is handled by city and local police forces. Digital security also seems completely overrated when the other three categories consistently threaten life and limb when digital security pretty much only threatens financial livelihood.

It’s the economist

Tu101uk

Can Japan GAF confirm?
Definitely confirm Tokyo, been there twice now. I've been out bar hopping in the middle of Shibuya into the wee hours with wads of cash (for all of their technology Japan is still a cash-centric society though it has improved greatly with more ATMs for foreigners and contactless payments) and not feel in the slightest bit threatened.

Osaka, on the other hand, was a bit more urban (granted the hostel my group were staying in was in a more rundown part of the city), that city reminded me more of Central and South London, with bikes and mopeds everywhere. Maybe it was safer than it looked? It was certainly less pristine than the ivory towers and emerald roads of Tokyo that's for sure.

PS - surprised London wasn't lower amongst the big world cities...

blackflag

LOL how are they weighing these.

Chicago, LA, Johannesburg, Sao Paulo....There's a lot of violent crime in these places.

Omadahl

Banned
Who on earth would steal a cop car though.

Most of the methed-outed nutjobs that populate the US midwest or any idiot in most metropolitan areas.

Just confirming that I mean people on meth, not that the entire midwest is on meth. Reference: I live in the midwest.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
They seem to consider "perceptions" of safety in the personal security category for some reason. As if perceptions have any influence on reality.

I cant take this ranking seriously at all.. because there is no way to accurately measure every city on the planet. You're trying to tell me that living in LA, Chicago, Kuwait City, Mexico City, Cairo, Tehran etc etc are safer than my city of Hobart in Australia... or any capital city in Australia for that matter?

Some of the cities listed are almost stereo-typically bad in terms of perception of safety/crime etc. Hell... Chicago is nicknamed Chiraq because of how violent it is.

They seem to consider "perceptions" of safety in the personal security category for some reason. As if perceptions have any influence on reality.

Of course it has an influence on reality, how safe you believe you are affects how you handle living in a city and what measures you take to live in it. For example, in a city you percieve as more dangeours you might chose to carry a gun or a pocket knife, which could lead to an escalation of a situation that didnt need it. Multiply that by millions of citizens not feeling safe and you got people not trusting each other and the city being more dangeours as a result.

Also im really confused at people believing the cities that are not here didnt make the cut or something, i doubt you can rank every city in the world, its possible that the criteria they did to choose these cities might have been as simple as amount of readers they have in them or where their correspondents find themeselves.

FrankCanada97

Of course it has an influence on reality, how safe you believe you are affects how you handle living in a city and what measures you take to live in it. For example, in a city you percieve as more dangeours you might chose to carry a gun or a pocket knife, which could lead to an escalation of a situation that didnt need it. Multiply that by millions of citizens not feeling safe and you got people not trusting each other and the city being more dangeours as a result.

Also im really confused at people believing the cities that are not here didnt make the cut or something, i doubt you can rank every city in the world, its possible that the criteria they did to choose these cities might have been as simple as amount of readers they have in them or where their correspondents find themeselves.
Oh, I took it to mean outside perceptions. Your explanation makes sense.

Darksol

Can Japan GAF confirm?

I leave my wallet and laptop and cell phone on my table when I go to the bathroom in a busy Starbucks — nobody will ever touch it.

You can see passed out salarymen outside stations with their wallet and phone sitting on their chest — nobody will touch it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Toronto? There are so many crime headlines I read throughout the week.... that can't be right.

To give you an idea, Toronto has like 10% of the murders of Chicago.

Just remember, the population of Toronto and the area immediately surrounding it is 25% of the country's population

Want to see relatively unsafe in this country, see Edmonton.

FrankCanada97

To give you an idea, Toronto has like 10% of the murders of Chicago.

Just remember, the population of Toronto and the area immediately surrounding it is 25% of the country's population

Want to see relatively unsafe in this country, see Edmonton.
Toronto also has a larger population than Chicago.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yep. It's crazy watching LITTLE kids going to school on their own in a city of more than the million people. I mean like six year olds. It's kind of awesome. I have never felt unsafe in Tokyo and the most drama you ever see is hawkers in Roppongi getting grabby with customers, or wasted salarymen mumbling vaguely racist shit at you but turtling when you ask them WTF they just said.

Pachimari

Weird selection of cities. Stockholm is there, but not Copenhagen?
To be fair, we do have gang wars and plenty of gang activity here in Copenhagen. This year civilians have been in danger just walking some of the most populated streets because of shootings. I think this is the biggest thing "threatening" our safety here though.

Something is off here. Never been to Tokyo so I can’t comment on that but a lot of these cities seem way high up. Brussels especially. Amsterdam was the safest feeling place I’ve been so it’s not all wrong.

FrankCanada97

Something is off here. Never been to Tokyo so I can’t comment on that but a lot of these cities seem way high up. Brussels especially. Amsterdam was the safest feeling place I’ve been so it’s not all wrong.
Out of the cities in this list, which do you feel are ranked too high in comparison to others in the list?

FrankCanada97

Brussels for sure. Istanbul while not that high still feels way too high. Chicago is another one. Being safer than London seems crazy to me.
I suppose if they weighted the four categories differently, Chicago would fall. London probably has better health and infrastructure security. Maybe in personal security as well, but they don't really explain how they weigh violent crime against terrorism.

Top Bottom