• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Community Thread: Your Pocket Guide to the Empire

golem

For the last two Elder Scrolls titles Bethesda has chosen the safest option each time. They chose the most familiar and easier to appeal to a mass-audience location. This is incredibly sad because part of the reason why Morrowind is so great is due to how unfamiliar and alien the setting is.

Yeah, I get the feeling that Skyrim sold so much that they might be less willing to take risks that might affect future sales in the mainline franchise.

It will be interesting how they deal with the Aldmeri situation though.

I'm surprised there wasn't already a community thread. Thanks for making a great OT Blue Ninja.

Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls game and I love it. I've never played anything like it. I really enjoy how you can make unique characters, and that you can do whatever quests you want in any order you want. The game is set up to allow your characters to have their own lore.

My first character was a Breton dudebro. He had big muscles, a big beard, wore heavy armor, and wielded 2-handed weapons. He was a skilled weapon and armor smith. Disliking the racism he faced by the Nords, he decided to join the Imperial army and teach the Stormcloaks a lesson in humility. Fighting by his side was Mjoll the Lioness, who was his best friend and the only Nord he ever got along with. They never married, choosing a life of adventure over settling down. Unfortunately, the combat with 2-handed weapons got really stale. I can't complain because I still played that character for over 60 hours, but I was really sick of him by the end.

My second (current) character is an Altmer sorcerer who uses primarily destruction and conjuration spells. By day she is a hero and the arch-mage of the College of Winterhold, but by night she is a vampire lord and head of the Volkihar vampire clan. She takes no side in the civil war, preferring to benefit from the skirmishing by feeding upon the groups of soldiers that constantly patrol the land. She is a true antihero — she'll save the world one day, and murder half a village in cold blood the next. With the powerful ancient wizard Dagri'Lon by her side, there are none who have stood in her way and lived to tell the tale. The vanilla magic in Skyrim is pretty lame and underpowered, but with mods playing a mage is really fun. It's even better when you get some mage followers to come with you, and together you blast everything to pieces. It got a little too easy, so I raised the difficulty and installed the Ultimate Combat and Deadly Dragons mods to make the game more challenging. I'm beginning to wrap this playthrough up though, since there isn't much I have left to accomplish on this character. She is a supremely powerful sorcerer and the most powerful vampire alive, so her lore is pretty much complete.

I'm already planning my next character. I'm gonna make a Nord and have him be the true Dragonborn. Obviously my other two characters were too, but they weren't Nords and I didn't fully get into the dragonborn role play with them. My first character was kind of all over the place since it was my first time playing the game, and my current character almost never uses shouts and uses the dragon souls for other things (like resetting her spell talents with the Forgotten Magic Redone mod). I've also never done the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood questlines, so my Nord will also be a bit of an antihero — Dovahkiin, Stormcloak, Companion, vampire hunter by day, and thief, assassin, heart-eating werewolf by night. I've done heavy armor, 2-handed weapons, magic, and mage clothing before, so this character will wear light armor and use 1-handed weapons (which fits in with his being a Dark Brotherhood assassin). And since I'll be a Dawnguard member I'll use crossbows for ranged attacking. Basically I'm trying to make him fill in for everything I've missed on my first two playthroughs. As a little extra treat: Since he's the true dragonborn, I'm installing the Dragon Shouts Overhaul mod which improves almost all of the shouts in the game, and I'm getting the cheat version which makes them have no cooldown. Obviously I'll have to use my own self-control to not spam shouts and destroy everything, but it will be nice knowing that I can if I want to. I'm the dragonborn after all, I should be overpowered.

Playing as Nord Dragonborn always was my favorite character. Sword 'n board, a mod that reduces shout cooldowns, and go loose upon the world. And another mod to make the guards shut the hell up, because no, I don't want to hear them say they think I'm a thief. I'm not a thief. Are they fucking dense? Don't they know who I am?

I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.

Yep that sounds like what I'm going for. I think I'm gonna switch off between sword & board and dual wielding, since I haven't tried either.

For the guards, I use the Guard Dialogue Overhaul mod.

I use a mod that shuts everyone up, because it fucking annoyed me that people dropped everything they were doing just to talk to me.The goddamn Dovahkiin has no time for your shit.

JNA

Banned
One of my other hopes for the next game is an expansion on romance/marriage system, instead of just wearing an amulet and then "BOOM! You're married!".

Also more candidates for waifu-I mean wives! Wives! XD And husbands of course. :D

I hated how there were two or three characters I wanted to marry in Skyrim but could not. One was Serena (the vampire from the first DLC), the other was this red guard assassin from the white run inn, and the other was Sapphire from the Thieves Guild.

Why Bethesda why? :(

eyeless

One of my other hopes for the next game is an expansion on romance/marriage system, instead of just wearing an amulet and then "BOOM! You're married!".

Also more candidates for waifu-I mean wives! Wives! XD And husbands of course. :D

I hated how there were two or three characters I wanted to marry in Skyrim but could not. One was Serena (the vampire from the first DLC), the other was this red guard assassin from the white run inn, and the other was Sapphire from the Thieves Guild.

Why Bethesda why? :(
if you are on pc you can make people marry-able via the console

in fact, coincidentally
the other was this red guard assassin from the white run inn
xmOWdwY.png

this coulda been you but you playin

daninthemix

I recently got rather bored of Skyrim for some reason, but I'm now going to start a new game of Oblivion and see how that goes.

For how many people was the 'emerging from sewers' the first next generation moment of the 7th gen? :)

JNA

Banned
if you are on pc you can make people marry-able via the console

in fact, coincidentally

xmOWdwY.png

this coulda been you but you playin

Well yeah I know that but I'm just talking about in general without PC controls. XD

I mean, PC controls is basically mind control. I don't want to mind control them to marry my guy. :(

Heh yeah when I killed the group that was after her, I was so sure I could then marry her since I did save her life, and she kept calling me handsome. :D

But alas...

Just got into the series after getting Skyrim (360 version) for xmas. Some questions though.

1. Why does everone think there's going to be a VI? They've got Online going right now and I've never heard of a company going back to the main series after going MMO. I mean call me when Blizzard comes out with Warcraft IV after WoW has been going for 10 years
  2. What are some good build options? Right now I've got a few. Been trying to get an Arcane Warrior up but can never seem to find the mix right.

hemtae

Just got into the series after getting Skyrim (360 version) for xmas. Some questions though.

1. Why does everone think there's going to be a VI? They've got Online going right now and I've never heard of a company going back to the main series after going MMO. I mean call me when Blizzard comes out with Warcraft IV after WoW has been going for 10 years
  2. What are some good build options? Right now I've got a few. Been trying to get an Arcane Warrior up but can never seem to find the mix right.

1. ESO wasn't made by BGS and from what I heard it hasn't set the world on fire like Skyrim did.
2. They pretty much all even out in the end but I liked my Nord with restoration, conjuration, heavy armor, and Two Handed the best.

1. ESO is not WoW. Skyrim set the world on fire, made the Elder Scrolls franchise even more mainstream, and won all sorts of game of the year awards. ESO... well... didn't. It would be absolutely insane of them to pursue ESO in lieu of creating another mainline Elder Scrolls game.
  2. I love a good stealth build in Skyrim. Getting bow and arrow crits always feels good, and you can mix in some illusion magic to spice things up if you want.

Yeah, ESO is done by Zenimax Online Studios, while The Elder Scrolls/Fallout is done by Bethesda Game Studios. Both are part of the larger Zenimax company. And given the success of Skyrim, I'm sure BGS has plenty of support in making their next big single player open world RPG. I just honestly wonder which will come first, Fallout or TES. Fallout did well for them, but not as well as Skyrim.

hepburn3d

ESO is as finite as any other game. I've finished the main story now and even though there's Veteran and PvP it'd be hard for them to release an update that would make me play for much longer.

I'm also massively hoping they will introduce a co-op system in the next game, even if that goes against the "you're the only one who can save us" mechanic that the games usually follow.

Just started Skyrim two weeks ago, and I've played seventy or more hours. I haven't lost sleep on a game like this since I was in college (long ago). I played the hell out of the Daggerfall demo, but never got around to getting the game, and I was really into Fallout 3 and NV, but didn't have gaming PCs when Morrowind and Oblivion came out, (or access to mine when Skyrim did initially). I did read all the books that were available in the daggerfall demo (including the uncensored Real Berenziah) and it's great to see many of the old books return.

I have to admit, I like the idea of Elsweyr, and it even sounds like a great game title. They could have an Imperial invasion or something to add more humans. It just sounds like such a fascinating location, and is more appealing than Black Marsh. I wouldn't be opposed to a Thalmor heavy Valenwood/Summerset Isles game, and Hammerfell could be pretty great too, but I'm in no hurry for High Rock.

I also nominate Hammerfell. Not that I'll be upset if it's somewhere else, because any news of the next Elder Scrolls game will get me hyped.

I use a mod that shuts everyone up, because it fucking annoyed me that people dropped everything they were doing just to talk to me.The goddamn Dovahkiin has no time for your shit.
Haha yeah I have that mod too. No NPC Greetings. I use the version that reduces the distance instead of completely disabling it. But yeah it got really irritating when you were talking to an important quest NPC and some other idiot NPC kept trying to chat you up.

Okay so I've started up a Altmer mage/battlemage/arcane warrior. I'm not entirely sure where I want to go with him. It's a toss up between bound sword wielding or lightning magic. Also, is Illusion any good a school? I've looked up the spells and they all seem to be is rage/pacify/courage. Oh and he will be wearing heavy armor.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
the faces/animation in skyrim weren't excellent but at least they weren't fallout 3 level.

Animations weren't great, but the face models themselves are some of the best I've seen from a custom generator. At the time of it's release, Skyrim's faces were better than most on the market that didn't come from AAA cinematic games like Uncharted 3.

I'd love to play some Elder Scrolls right now, but I've never been much of a PC gamer (though I did play Fallout 3 the most on PC), and the only games I've got are the PS3 versions of Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion I haven't played in years, mostly because I'm afraid that seeing how crappy it is will ruin the magic for me. Skyrim on PS3 is... well, you know. It'd be really swell to have a new-gen version that runs well, and looks a bit better.

Okay so I've started up a Altmer mage/battlemage/arcane warrior. I'm not entirely sure where I want to go with him. It's a toss up between bound sword wielding or lightning magic. Also, is Illusion any good a school? I've looked up the spells and they all seem to be is rage/pacify/courage. Oh and he will be wearing heavy armor.

Hmm. Seems like an okay setup. Maybe not the best for higher difficulties, but it can work. 4-6 main skills is usually a good amount to focus on unless you want to end up using certain exploits to level up past 81 to get enough perks. I'd recommend going with both Bound Sword and some type of Destruction magic. Illusion is alright. It can stop guards from beating you up if they don't accept your yields, fix certain bugged NPCs like Dexion if you're playing vanilla/console, and make enemies fight each other for your amusement or to cause a distraction while you recover. Cast Bound Sword in one hand and switch between Destruction and Illusion in the other. Focus on these skills:

One-Handed is needed for Bound Sword. It gives you a Daedric-level Sword, but all perks from One-Handed will carry over to it and if you don't get those perks it's not going to do much damage.
Heavy Armor's pretty good, just make sure to get the Conditioning perk asap, otherwise you're going to be quite slow and heavy. For mages I would usually use Alteration as my armor skill, but these mixed characters are always fun to play so go with what looks cool.
Destruction is needed for ranged attacks, unless of course you want to rely on Shouts to deal with Dragons. They're kinda useless outside of Dragonrend, so go with Destruction. If you want to go with lightning magic, that's fine. It's definitely the most powerful of the three schools, but the cost is a bit higher. Go with the Lightning Bolt and Thunderbolt spells when you're ready for them. You might want to keep Firebolt around as your basic ranged attack as it's a very low-cost spell and can be pretty powerful. Frost is terrible because a large percentage of the population in the game is resistant to it. Also, you might want to avoid the final perks for fire and lightning. Making opponents run away is never fun because you have to track them down and disintegrating enemies, while cool, has a plethora of bugs and performance drops associated with it.
Outside of the Bound Weapons perks, you probably don't need Conjuration that much. It's a really powerful and fun skill, but if you only want it for the bound weapons don't put too much thought into it.
Illusion, as I said, is alright. Invisibility and Muffle are two spells you might want to try out. They help a lot with Heavy Armor as it's the loudest of the armor skills and you aren't focusing on Sneak. Calm is used to stop attackers, Fury is used to stop attackers by making them attack their friends. You only need Courage for followers or grinding if that's something you want to do (have fun making that cow outside Whiterun become the bravest creature in all the land).

(Note: this is based on the final 1.9 patch. I don't know what the unofficial patches have fixed as I play on console and, frankly, get pretty jealous when I see that a bug that cost me 2-6 hours of playing fixed by a bunch of fans instead of the people who were paid to do it, so I don't check the fixes. :p)

Minimum Perks Required:
One-Handed: Armsman 5/5, Fighting Stance, Savage Strike. Total: 7. Skill Level: 80.
Heavy Armor: Juggernaut 5/5, Fists of Steel, Cushioned, Conditioning. Total: 8. Skill Level: 80.
Destruction: Novice Destruction, Apprentice Destruction, Adept Destruction, Expert Destruction, Augemented Flames 2/2, Augmented Shock 2/2. Total: 8. Skill Level: 75.
Conjuration: Novice Conjuration, Mystic Binding, Soul Stealer, Oblivion Binding. Total: 4. Skill Level: 50
Illusion: Novice Illusion, Apprentice Illusion, Hypnotic Gaze, Aspect of Terror, Rage, Animage, Kindred Mage, Master of the Mind. Total: 8. Skill Level: 90.

Total level required for all perks: 36

I left out some perks up there because you either don't need them or they don't work right in the vanilla game, even in 1.9. For example, critical damage actually bases damage off of the base damage value of the weapon, so whenever you see "Critical Strike", you're actually did less damage than you would have once you get the Armsman perk up to 5/5. Also, Tower of Stength simply doesn't work. Reflect Bows also doesn't work as it's written and isn't worth it.

That seems like it'll be a fine run. You won't be getting to level 81 with it unless you want to add Enchanting to the mix (5-11 more perks/levels and Skill Level of 80-100), get Dawnguard for a Telekinesis book in Redwater Den to exploit how the spell works (or take more time without DLC by getting the Detect Life spell and leveling Alteration in Riften during the day up until what's-his-face in the college starts selling Telekinesis), and level Alteration to 100 13 times in about 10 minutes by making a 100% Alteration reduction suit and traveling back and forth between Riften and Markarth while holding a throwaway item...but that's some really exploitative nonsense and it's really not fun.
Enchanting can be helpful regardless, as you can level it up to make two of your magic skills cost nothing to cast, which is really helpful when you start using Expert-level spells. Your choice, really. Easiest way to level it up is to just get the Sneak enchantment and put it on some Hide Bracers you made. It levels up based on cost added to the item's original value, so use bigger soul gems for better results. Exploiting Ahkari's merchant chest in Dawnstar, going to the Soul Cairn in the Dawnguard DLC, and/or using a Soul Trap-enchanted weapon in an area with a lot of enemies gets the most souls for the gems, all depends on how you want to play the game.

Hope I helped!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Morrowind was my life. Oblivion and Skyrim were good, but they weren't my life.

C'mon, Beth, make another game that becomes my life.

Also nice thread, n'wah, subscribed.

Hmm. Seems like an okay setup. Maybe not the best for higher difficulties, but it can work. 4-6 main skills is usually a good amount to focus on unless you want to end up using certain exploits to level up past 81 to get enough perks. I'd recommend going with both Bound Sword and some type of Destruction magic. Illusion is alright. It can stop guards from beating you up if they don't accept your yields, fix certain bugged NPCs like Dexion if you're playing vanilla/console, and make enemies fight each other for your amusement or to cause a distraction while you recover. Cast Bound Sword in one hand and switch between Destruction and Illusion in the other. Focus on these skills:

One-Handed is needed for Bound Sword. It gives you a Daedric-level Sword, but all perks from One-Handed will carry over to it and if you don't get those perks it's not going to do much damage.
Heavy Armor's pretty good, just make sure to get the Conditioning perk asap, otherwise you're going to be quite slow and heavy. For mages I would usually use Alteration as my armor skill, but these mixed characters are always fun to play so go with what looks cool.
Destruction is needed for ranged attacks, unless of course you want to rely on Shouts to deal with Dragons. They're kinda useless outside of Dragonrend, so go with Destruction. If you want to go with lightning magic, that's fine. It's definitely the most powerful of the three schools, but the cost is a bit higher. Go with the Lightning Bolt and Thunderbolt spells when you're ready for them. You might want to keep Firebolt around as your basic ranged attack as it's a very low-cost spell and can be pretty powerful. Frost is terrible because a large percentage of the population in the game is resistant to it. Also, you might want to avoid the final perks for fire and lightning. Making opponents run away is never fun because you have to track them down and disintegrating enemies, while cool, has a plethora of bugs and performance drops associated with it.
Outside of the Bound Weapons perks, you probably don't need Conjuration that much. It's a really powerful and fun skill, but if you only want it for the bound weapons don't put too much thought into it.
Illusion, as I said, is alright. Invisibility and Muffle are two spells you might want to try out. They help a lot with Heavy Armor as it's the loudest of the armor skills and you aren't focusing on Sneak. Calm is used to stop attackers, Fury is used to stop attackers by making them attack their friends. You only need Courage for followers or grinding if that's something you want to do (have fun making that cow outside Whiterun become the bravest creature in all the land).

(Note: this is based on the final 1.9 patch. I don't know what the unofficial patches have fixed as I play on console and, frankly, get pretty jealous when I see that a bug that cost me 2-6 hours of playing fixed by a bunch of fans instead of the people who were paid to do it, so I don't check the fixes. :p)

Minimum Perks Required:
One-Handed: Armsman 5/5, Fighting Stance, Savage Strike. Total: 7. Skill Level: 80.
Heavy Armor: Juggernaut 5/5, Fists of Steel, Cushioned, Conditioning. Total: 8. Skill Level: 80.
Destruction: Novice Destruction, Apprentice Destruction, Adept Destruction, Expert Destruction, Augemented Flames 2/2, Augmented Shock 2/2. Total: 8. Skill Level: 75.
Conjuration: Novice Conjuration, Mystic Binding, Soul Stealer, Oblivion Binding. Total: 4. Skill Level: 50
Illusion: Novice Illusion, Apprentice Illusion, Hypnotic Gaze, Aspect of Terror, Rage, Animage, Kindred Mage, Master of the Mind. Total: 8. Skill Level: 90.

Total level required for all perks: 36

I left out some perks up there because you either don't need them or they don't work right in the vanilla game, even in 1.9. For example, critical damage actually bases damage off of the base damage value of the weapon, so whenever you see "Critical Strike", you're actually did less damage than you would have once you get the Armsman perk up to 5/5. Also, Tower of Stength simply doesn't work. Reflect Bows also doesn't work as it's written and isn't worth it.

That seems like it'll be a fine run. You won't be getting to level 81 with it unless you want to add Enchanting to the mix (5-11 more perks/levels and Skill Level of 80-100), get Dawnguard for a Telekinesis book in Redwater Den to exploit how the spell works (or take more time without DLC by getting the Detect Life spell and leveling Alteration in Riften during the day up until what's-his-face in the college starts selling Telekinesis), and level Alteration to 100 13 times in about 10 minutes by making a 100% Alteration reduction suit and traveling back and forth between Riften and Markarth while holding a throwaway item...but that's some really exploitative nonsense and it's really not fun.
Enchanting can be helpful regardless, as you can level it up to make two of your magic skills cost nothing to cast, which is really helpful when you start using Expert-level spells. Your choice, really. Easiest way to level it up is to just get the Sneak enchantment and put it on some Hide Bracers you made. It levels up based on cost added to the item's original value, so use bigger soul gems for better results. Exploiting Ahkari's merchant chest in Dawnstar, going to the Soul Cairn in the Dawnguard DLC, and/or using a Soul Trap-enchanted weapon in an area with a lot of enemies gets the most souls for the gems, all depends on how you want to play the game.

Hope I helped!

Yeah. I know how you feel about consoles, I'm on one. I knew about a lot of that stuff as I have a pure mage character already (lvl 62) who's fire wielding and no armor but the flesh spells. I never choose the "Intense Flames" perk or any perk just like it cause I don't like it when enemies run away.

Problem with this character (I've tried several times making him and he never seems to come out right) is I never know where to go. They give Altmer's Fury at creation but I don't know what the use of it is and I hate having it sit there and do nothing. So I start leveling up Illusion but than don't know what to do with it. I don't know if I want to go bound weapons as that means I have to go with 2 additional skill tree's along with anything else I may be doing but than I don't want pure destruction magic as I said earlier, I already have a pure mage and am not trying to do that again.

Currently I'm at lvl 9 and have points in enchanting, Heavy armor, destruction, illusion, and smithing.

Yeah. I know how you feel about consoles, I'm on one. I knew about a lot of that stuff as I have a pure mage character already (lvl 62) who's fire wielding and no armor but the flesh spells. I never choose the "Intense Flames" perk or any perk just like it cause I don't like it when enemies run away.

Problem with this character (I've tried several times making him and he never seems to come out right) is I never know where to go. They give Altmer's Fury at creation but I don't know what the use of it is and I hate having it sit there and do nothing. So I start leveling up Illusion but than don't know what to do with it. I don't know if I want to go bound weapons as that means I have to go with 2 additional skill tree's along with anything else I may be doing but than I don't want pure destruction magic as I said earlier, I already have a pure mage and am not trying to do that again.

Currently I'm at lvl 9 and have points in enchanting, Heavy armor, destruction, illusion, and smithing.

Ah, thought this was a first character sort of thing. Sorry if I rambled too much.

Illusion isn't really an offensive skill, so it's no wonder you're having trouble making it work with your character. Skyrim's a weird game sometimes. It seems to favor characters that have every skill instead of characters that only want to be one thing (Battlemage, Nightblade, etc.), but when creating a character that has three or more means of attack, you kinda gravitate towards just one or two. Don't consider Illusion to be a main attack method. It's not. Illusion's more for those situations where you want to see a bandit group fight amongst itself, or use cause mass calm, anger, or panic to cover your escape from a wedding you just..."crashed", to avoid quest spoilers. Using Illusion, I'd actually recommend more of a Thief or Assassin type build instead of Battlemage to be honest. It won't be very helpful in battles outside of the early levels because even Bound Sword will finish fights quicker. It's more of an escaping skill and less of a combat skill. Still though, might be fun to mess around with from time to time. Also, it adds to your level and is pretty easy to level up, so it's at least good for some loot and more perk points.

With that current setup, I'd actually suggest going Enchanting, Heavy Armor, Conjuration, Illusion, and Smithing. Illusion could work really well with summoning and dual summoning, as Courage-type spells give health boosts to NPCs they hit. It's not a very hands-on skillset, but it's definitely a lot different from your first character. Bring a follower along and have your own little party to attack things with. Just be careful with certain glitches surrounding followers, they get stuck sometimes. Also be careful with Dawnguard. I can think of at least two characters in there that will force out followers and use up a summoning slot.

Erevador

I have been journeying back into Morrowind. Goddamn does it hold up brilliantly. The world building, the atmosphere, the storytelling, the brilliantly unbalanced gameplay, the sheer scope and depth of the thing...

It's funny, I played Morrowind for years on end when it came out, and there is still a ton of content I never explored. Never did the Temple or the Morag Tong. It's wonderful playing a game that forces you to really explore, and that makes that exploration so worthwhile. No other game has ever so captured that depth and detail of exploration.

JNA

Banned
With all these HD remasters to the current gen consoles, I wonder if we will eventually see the same for some older Elder Scroll games.

Can you imagine an HD remake for Morrowind and Oblivion? 0_0

Eldritch

Neo Member
Daggerfall was a very buggy mess. Back in the day I was actually unable to it play for more than a couple of minutes before it would crash. Seeing I was new to pc's this meant I'd never play it.

Morrowind on the other hand came out when I got my first very own place. With my budget nearly depleted (furniture, appliances, etc.) I had a choice between either buying a refridgerator or a pc that would run Morrowind. Needless to say, during that first month my food got bad rapidly whilst I was roaming Vvardenfell.

Playing Skyrim with an Xbone controller on PC is weird. The rumble while fighting is so minimal, it really takes some getting used to. :lol

Red Mage

My prediction for the Setting of TES VI - Summerset Isles/Valenwood.

The beauty of the elven buildings alone would make it worthwhile.

That's what I'm figuring/hoping. Are the first two worth playing? I heard Arena in particular was difficult to get working, let alone play.

With all these HD remasters to the current gen consoles, I wonder if we will eventually see the same for some older Elder Scroll games.

Can you imagine an HD remake for Morrowind and Oblivion? 0_0

Someone's already doing a mod for Morrowind using the Oblivion engine, and doing the same for Oblivion with the Skyrim engine.

Adding to my earlier post about how I roleplay my Skyrim characters, I wrote a short backstory for my upcoming Nord character:

Saviik — The True Dovahkiin

The son of two Nord warriors, his name means "savior" in the dragon language.
As a young child, his parents were killed in the Battle of the Red Ring.
He bounced between homes and orphanages, before ultimately becoming homeless.
Still just a kid, he learned to hunt and steal in order to survive.
Was once rescued from starvation by a friendly Argonian dock worker;
and saved from a bandit attack by a Khajiit caravan;
these experiences caused him to reject previously held racist beliefs of Nord supremacy.
Despite his low status, he still dreamed of becoming a war hero like his parents.

Losing his direction in life as a young adult;
he has wandered throughout Winterhold and The Rift as a hunter and petty thief.
Holds an intense hatred of the Thalmor.
Resents the Empire for the White-Gold Concordat;
believing that it wasted the sacrifice of his parents.
Also holds a grudge against cruel orphanage headmasters.
Hot-tempered and rough around the edges, he has taken part in his fair share of brawls.
He has now settled in Riften for the time being.
As a shadowy vagrant, nobody recognizes or acknowledges him;
nobody, that is, except a scout for the Thieves Guild...

In order to fit in with my lore, I will be using the Alternate Start - Live Another Life mod to start out as a new member of the Thieves Guild.

I liked incorporating the Elder Scrolls lore into his past — I wanted my character to be in his early-to-mid 30s, and the timing of the Battle of the Red Ring makes that work. I wanted to use the Inigo follower mod, but he's a khajiit and Nords are known for being pretty racist. Well I was able to have it make sense by adding an explanation in my character's history. Writing a backstory was really fun; I'm definitely gonna do it for my future characters! It makes me even more excited to start this playthrough. But I have to be patient... I'm making myself wait because I just finished a 100+ hour Skyrim playthrough and I don't want to burn myself out. So in the meantime I'm setting up for my very first Fallout New Vegas playthrough. Just like how Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game, New Vegas is my first Fallout game. So I'm pretty excited to jump in!

Great thread! I've always loved the elder scrolls lore, particularly the dwemer stuff. The mystery of a technologically advanced race dissapearing is very appealing and exploring the dwemer ruins in morrowind trying to peice it all together was fun. For those asking about daggerfall, sadly it's pretty unplayable now. Too bad because it gave me so many hours of fun back in the day. The scale was incredible. Climbing walls and breaking down doors was a lot of fun.

Are the Turn/Repel Undead spells from Restoration worth it? I'm playing a paladin type character and they seem thematically right but I don't like how they just make them run away. Why would I want a spell that makes the enemy run away?

Venture

Are the Turn/Repel Undead spells from Restoration worth it? I'm playing a paladin type character and they seem thematically right but I don't like how they just make them run away. Why would I want a spell that makes the enemy run away?
I don't think I've ever used it but I guess it could be useful when you're swarmed by draugr. Take them out a few at a time or give you a chance to heal and recover.

I think the higher-level ones actually set them on fire and vaporize the lower-level ones, too.

Red Mage

Okay, so I've started Oblivion for the first time, and have just met Martin. Now, is this FUD or is it true that NPCs do not level up with you? Because I really do not want to be stuck with a low-level Martin throughout the game, as I also read that he's not always essential.

Okay just noticed something. I loaded up a character who had 7 hours left on a Blessing of Stendarr. Been playing for only 1 hour and it says I now have 3 hours left on the blessing. Now I know the blessings are real time hours and not in game hours. Why am I losing hours on my blessings? Is anyone else having this problem? I'm on xbox btw.

Good thread, can't ever have enough Scrolls talk. Love reading peoples stories and character builds. Wouldn't be surprised ESVI was set in the Blackmarsh.

Got one of my friends into skyrim a few weeks ago. She's usually a zombie and CoD person, but she's loving skyrim, can't get enough of it.

First dragon fight and I was like fuck this shit. Son of a bitch followed me across at least a third of the map! By happenstance I ran into an imperial camp. Dragon landed, and EVERY soldier ran up and started curb stomping it. Like ten dudes just hacking away. It was an awesome REAL intro into the game. I pledged my allegiance to the empire.

DirtyCase

I've only ever played through oblivion and skyrim. I recently purchased morrowind and installed the total overhaul mod. I prefer games that don't hand hold you through the story so I'm excited to sink my teeth into it.

hydruxo

I enjoyed Oblivion to a certain extent but Skyrim blew me away. Probably my favorite game for last gen. So I can't wait for VI sometime along the road.

Might be a stupid question but how do I see underwater in the PC version of Skyrim? I don't remember having issues on PS3 but on PC when I go fully underwater by screen turns blue. If I'm half above and half below I can see underwater perfectly but not at all if I drop down any more.

Might be a stupid question but how do I see underwater in the PC version of Skyrim? I don't remember having issues on PS3 but on PC when I go fully underwater by screen turns blue. If I'm half above and half below I can see underwater perfectly but not at all if I drop down any more.

Are you using any mods? There are some that cause graphical conflicts. You should be able to see fine underwater.

Sigh. I need to stop fixing bugs / modding the game and actually play the bloody thing.

I know what you mean. I kept thinking something looked off with my game, so I ended up installing Imaginator to up the contrast a bit. Now I can't stop play around with the settings. :lol

eyeless

new skywind west gash trailer

i was messing around with a dumb mod that lets you create ladders, climbing is something that would be awesome in an es game
the way bethesda makes cities would have to change obviously but i always wish i could climb in games, probably cuz i want all games to have thief/dishonored/etc type mobility. i love sneaking around on rooftops.

strafer

So I have a question, will spoiler tag in case.

It regards the addon Dawnguard.

So when you enter the Soul Cairn to find Valerica and all that and when you finally find her she tells me that she doesn't trust a vampire hunter bla bla bla...

so my question is, if I decided to become a Vampire Lord will her response be different?

3hFBDQd.jpg

Bethesda and Titan Books are teaming up to release the in-game books of both Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls Online in a physical format.

TITAN BOOKS ANNOUNCES TWO NEW ELDER SCROLLS BOOK SERIES

Titan Books today announced five high-quality, in-universe artefacts for fans of The Elder Scrolls®, Bethesda Softworks’ internationally acclaimed and bestselling video game franchise. Titan Books, known for high quality film, TV and gaming tie-ins, with particular strength in the area of licensed entertainment titles, has been granted worldwide rights on the series.

THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TALES OF TAMRIEL – VOL. I: THE LAND
THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TALES OF TAMRIEL – VOL. II: THE LORE

Step into the fantasy world of The Elder Scrolls Online with THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TALES OF TAMRIEL – a series featuring a vast collection of in-game lore and original art. The two bound volumes chart the ongoing struggles between the Aldmeri Dominion, the Daggerfall Covenant, and the Ebonheart Pact – as well as the deadly invasion of Daedric Prince Molag Bal. Each book features close to one hundred specially commissioned, never-before-seen pieces of art illustrating the lives, the land, and the lore of Tamriel at war.

THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM – THE SKYRIM LIBRARY, VOL I: THE HISTORIES
THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM – THE SKYRIM LIBRARY, VOL II: MAN, MER AND BEAST
THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM – THE SKYRIM LIBRARY, VOL III: THE ARCANE

From the archives of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® come the collected in-game texts, THE SKYRIM LIBRARY. This lavishly bound, three-volume series chronicles for the first time all of Tamriel’s history, and covers a multitude of Elder Scrolls lore – including the cultures, creatures, magic, myths, and more – illustrated with stunning art.

Omar Khan, the series’ editor, is delighted to be a part of this new project, “I’m very excited to play a part in bringing the in-game text from Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls Online to print. Using art and text from Bethesda, we were able craft these amazing tomes that truly showcase the exceptionally well-written and in-depth lore that is the foundation of The Elder Scrolls.”

“One of the most important aspects of The Elder Scrolls series is the lore,” said Pete Hines, VP of Marketing and PR for Bethesda Softworks. “To have so much of its history chronicled in this way, accompanied by art sourced from the games, is very cool We’re excited to be working with Titan on this project, and for fans to see how much detail goes into the worlds our development teams create.”

THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TALES OF TAMRIEL – VOL. I: THE LAND and THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - THE SKYRIM LIBRARY, VOL. I: THE HISTORIES are set to hit stores in March next year.

Top Bottom