• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Community Thread: Your Pocket Guide to the Empire

eyeless

3hFBDQd.jpg

Bethesda and Titan Books are teaming up to release the in-game books of both Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls Online in a physical format.
missed this, not the kinda thing i usually buy but might buy this

i'm less apt to read all the books when in-game cause i feel like i should be playing, but of course out of game that's not a problem

the skyrim one of course cuz fuck teso

there's a new skywind 0.9.5 preview trailer

Thread made me hyped and i just bought Morrowind: GOTY on steam. Downloading the Morrowind overhaul too. Never got further than the first starting village in Morrowind like 7 years ago because i had a terrible computer. (hyype)

daninthemix

I have a question - if you focus on only two or so skills - let's say 2hand + heavy armour, does that mean you are relatively more powerful because those skills will be high for your level, and enemies scale to your level?

Fuz

Banned
Daggerfall was a very buggy mess. Back in the day I was actually unable to it play for more than a couple of minutes before it would crash. Seeing I was new to pc's this meant I'd never play it.

It was pretty buggy, but it's still the absolute best of the serie.

I've always been curious to try out Daggerfall. I'm not a fan of the later games but I love Morrowind and I wonder if Daggerfall is more like that one. Or maybe I'll just start another Morrowind character for the millionth time.
It's very unwelcoming, as of today. You'll need a lot of patience about interface, controls and bugs and the will to spend a LOT of time in the various sidestories, political intrigues, guilds and so on. It's insanely huge, and not only because of its map.

Icefire1424

Haha, yep same here. In the end I crossed the water (because it made sense to head away from the city where I'd been held prisoner) then went down into, and cleared out, the first Ayleid Ruin I discovered.

Hm, your line of thought made much more sense than mine at the time. I turned around and thought "Ooooooo, city...a place to sell all this crap I accumulated in the sewers."

Get_crazy

Banned
I've search on NeoGaf and didn't find anything about this rumor. It seems that the console versions of The Elder Scrolls Online is canceled, but I don't know what to think about the source, maybe the NeoGaf community could give an insight. (Since I'm still a "Junior Member" I can't create a new thread for this)

Well known hacker and sleuth, superMTW, has shared with LevelSave his insider scoop on the matter. MTW, who was partner to world-reknowned hacker and Xbox One legend superDAE, has shared with us that while the game “could be shipped,” it will not be. MTW tells us that Bethesda does not want to “poison the well … that the product isn’t very good at the moment, and they don’t want to destroy the image and the minds of the console audience and possibly hurt a future mainline Elder Scrolls release. (these are MTW’s words, paraphrasing what his source told him, not Bethesda’s wording)

The oddest part of this news is the fact that the game is “in a very functional, playable state,” it’s just “being restructured, with plans to be relaunched at some point as free to play with a big content update.” It appears this reason comes not only from the fact that the game is, for lack of better words, bad, but also that the infrastructure to support monthly subscription based access isn’t properly supported. While Microsoft recently added the capabilities with Electronic Arts’ “EA Access” service, Sony’s PlayStation 4 has no form of support for subscription based monthly access.

MTW tells us that there isn’t even a staff working on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of Elder Scrolls Online. While big updates to the PC version will be patched in to the “completely playable” console versions, that’s all that’s done. This news comes two months after Bethesda laid off a large portion of their staff back in September, with reasoning being that they were scaling back development now that the game was six months in to the wild.

Source: levelsave.com

Anustart

Skyrim was my first. I'm still not done with it, but on a break. I seem to play it for 20 hours then come back to it after a month. A great game in my mind.

I've search on NeoGaf and didn't find anything about this rumor. It seems that the console versions of The Elder Scrolls Online is canceled, but I don't know what to think about the source, maybe the NeoGaf community could give an insight. (Since I'm still a "Junior Member" I can't create a new thread for this)

Source: levelsave.com

Seems to be just a rumor. I only have a German comment of an official stuff member, tough: Link

It translates:
Hi,
the development of the console version of ESO has nor been suspended. As Matt Firor wrote in the last letter of the next steps [original link goes to the German version of this blogpost] we still are working on it

Nice! What a great series with deep lore.

I've played Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm thinking about giving Morrowind a try, but I'm not sure.

Woorloog

Banned
If you intent to play Morrowind (on PC), at very least get the unofficial patch (use the edited version from this site: http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html) and Morrowind Code Patch (http://uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Morrowind_Code_Patch). These two fix great many issues and increase stability considerably.
(And if you feel you need more world to explore, Tamriel Rebuílt mod will satisfy that, with very vanilla-like design, making it very seamless with the base game. EDIT Do note the screenshots on the site are not exactly representative, as they are taken with the graphics extender. Normal visibility in the game is rather low.)

I was wondering if anyone in here knows of a way to play Arena in higher resolution or slightly better graphics? Playing it on DOSBox is nigh impossible because it makes you want to claw your eyes out. I googled around, but I couldn't find anything, and I'd like to play the earlier games. Also, please notify me if I should be warned about Daggerfall, Redguard, or Battlespire being as hard to look at as Arena, thanks.

Bumping this cause I have a weird thing happening on one of my characters. So I've got a Altmer female vampire lord (shouldn't that be vampire lady lol?) and I have Highborn racial power favorited. Now whenever I enter vampire lord mode and then revert form back, my highborn power gets unfavorited. I've looked but can't seem to find out why that happens. Anyone know why that happens and if there's a way to fix it? This is on 360 btw.

It's just one of those little things, I guess. I can see how it'll get annoying, but I doubt there's a fix for it, especially on consoles.

Glad to see the thread resurfacing, though. I've been playing some Skyrim recently. It's no longer the addictive affair it once was, I've played the game far too much, but it's still so much fun.

72850_2015-02-13_00001gbva.png

Sarcasm

So playing again after awhile and i don't remember what I was getting for my house.

I already have the garden thing, what else is recommended?

lazygecko

I've had Morrowind since 2005 but never got more than about halfway through the main quest without really paying too much attention to the lore. Only really had a very vague idea of the Nerevarine, the Tribunal, the Dwemer and how it was all tied together. I decided to remedy that during the last week. Started doing the MQ, reading through every book I get or come across related to the quest, and any documents handed over by Caius and his associates, etc. Damn what a good plot it is.

Lucifon

I just got the Anthology today on PC, been meaning to buy it for months. Grabbed it for £22 brand new, which seems a great price these days now that it's starting to increase in value. Such an awesome set.

I played Skyrim on 360, so I've only just delved into the world of Skyrim mods on PC and holy moly it's daunting; so much to get! Any easy essential starter guides? Same for Morrowind, would quite like to go back to it especially if I can get some prettier visual mods.

Hope any sequel keeps the ease of modding.

Just bought the Legendary edition as it was cheaper than buying the DLC's seperately (bought originally at launch) to come back to it + mods

I just got the Anthology today on PC, been meaning to buy it for months. Grabbed it for £22 brand new, which seems a great price these days now that it's starting to increase in value. Such an awesome set.

I played Skyrim on 360, so I've only just delved into the world of Skyrim mods on PC and holy moly it's daunting; so much to get! Any easy essential starter guides? Same for Morrowind, would quite like to go back to it especially if I can get some prettier visual mods.

Morrowind has a mod collection you can install to make it look better and to fix most of the remaining bugs. Then there's some stuff like Accurate Attack and Magicka Regen to make the game a bit more forgiving when coming off of Oblivion or Skyrim.

Skyrim is a whole different beast in the modding department, though. Your best bet is to try and remember Skyrim on the 360 and start thinking of some of the things that irked you. Chances are there's a mod to improve it somehow. First thing I did was get rid of the compass, change the loot to be more Morrowind-like and install Frostfall so I could camp in the wilderness with a tent. Skyrim GEMS is a good place to start. There's also the STEP project to help you get started, but I personally never used it.

forms

Impressive thread. Personally I am looking for an Elder Scrolls game where I actually enjoy melee fighting.

Sarcasm

I know this is stupid..but how do you know if your married? Both my not completed hearthfire home has my two followers but no spouse.

Only other house I have (I believe..need to check) is the one in whiterun. I have two kids though.

Want to add another question, I messed up on being able to get both artifacts in that meet by moonlight quest. Is cheating in the item to see what it looks like considered bad?

eyeless

i played fnv recently and although it's probably better than fo3 overall one thing i think that was weaker that was a bummer was the lack of regard for player housing, your house being far inside a city behind a couple loads and up an elevator is a bad decision, whereas in bethesda's games the house just inside megaton and the house just inside whiterun are perfect, and therefore got used a lot more. in fo3 i got invested into my house upgrading it and i would pick up all the garden gnomes i found in the world and put them around my house, and of course in skyrim it's done even better. having that home base in whiterun for the first however many tens of hours was a great part of the game. hope if obsidian ever gets to make another bethesda style game they take a lesson from that, and hopefully the next elder scrolls bethesda realize that's such a valuable part of the game and it's appropriately expanded. like i said earlier in this thread let me have a cat or dog (but mostly cat) that i can assign to my house that will just walk around and chill in my house cause i'm not interested in having a follower, especially if they are an animal and can die.
I emerged from the sewers and was so overwhelmed, I had no idea where to go and definitely didn't realize I could just go fucking anywhere.
i ended up running into and just following a wall until i ended up back in one of the towers of the imperial city, i think there was a bed on the ground and a barrel i kept my stuff in for a while, also the place i woke up to the dark brotherhood messenger. oblivion was my first elder scrolls, and discovering that kind of game was mindblowing.
Impressive thread. Personally I am looking for an Elder Scrolls game where I actually enjoy melee fighting.
they own arkane, it makes too much sense to me to get them to help, wish they'd do that

although it's always been irrelevant for me because i'm an archer backstabber, luckily the two most well done methods of combat
Hope any sequel keeps the ease of modding.
it's one of the things i worry about, obviously it would be best to move on from gamebryo to an awesome new engine that looks great but i love knowing all the console commands for their games etc., all the stuff you can do, it's nice in a way to be familiar with the engine, hopefully moving to a new engine works out well

Top Bottom