• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor expansion announced

Mista

Banned

Bethesda Softworks has announced The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor, the latest expansion for The Elder Scrolls Online due out for PC and Mac on May 18, and Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on June 2. A Stadia version is also planned.

Here are the details, via Bethesda:
The Dark Heart of Skyrim

An ancient evil emerges from the depths, intent on devouring the souls of Skyrim. A dark tide of monsters rise from Blackreach and threatens to plunge all of Tamriel into darkness.

In the Dark Heart of Skyrim, you can experience a new year-long adventure, beginning with the upcoming Harrowstorm DLC dungeon pack and continuing through the Greymoor Chapter and beyond. You can experience the entire massive story in these upcoming releases:

Keep an eye on for more updates on this new year-long epic soon, starting with Harrowstorm!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Harrowstorm

The Dark Heart of Skyrim storyline begins with the Harrowstorm dungeon DLC, kicking off as soon as this February. Featuring two new dungeons, Harrowstorm has you contend with a supernatural storm in Icereach and explore the depths of Unhallowed Grave. As you discover the dark forces that threaten Skryim, the events of this DLC will lead directly into the Greymoor Chapter.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor

Supernatural harrowstorms plague Western Skyrim, and dark beasts, led by a powerful Vampire Lord, devour souls to further their mysterious plans. In The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor, The Elder Scrolls Online’s newest Chapter, you must defend the besieged Nords and uncover the evil behind this monstrous resurgence.

This Chapter brings all-new adventures to The Elder Scrolls Online players, including:

• A new zone to explore: Western Skyrim
  • A gothic main story quest line that ties into the Dark Heart of Skyrim adventure
  • An intriguing new system: Antiquities
  • A massive new 12-player Trial: Kyne’s Aegis
  • New world events: Harrowstorms
  • New delves, public dungeons, and stand-alone quests
  • Updates and quality-of-life improvements including a rework of the Vampire Skill Line (free for all ESO players)
The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor is coming to PC and Mac on May 18, and Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on June 2. You can pre-purchase Greymoor right now for PC, Mac, and Xbox One. Greymoor is coming soon to the PlayStation Store—check this help article for more information.

In addition to this, we are thrilled to announce that Greymoor will be coming to Stadia. Stay tuned for more information about how you can play The Elder Scrolls Online on Stadia in the coming months!

Explore Skyrim Above and Below

In Greymoor, you can return to the snow-swept home of the Nords and explore the region of Western Skyrim. Currently in The Elder Scrolls Online, you adventure along Skyrim’s eastern zones of Eastmarch, Bleakrock, and the Rift, but in this new Chapter, you can explore the other side of the province, including the city of Solitude and the deepest depths of Blackreach, a subterranean world beneath!

As you venture across this new zone, you’ll encounter the hardy Nords who call it home and discover a host of interesting side quests, delves, public dungeons, world bosses, a trial, and the new harrowstorm world events. Enough to keep any intrepid adventurer busy!

A Gothic Tale

As part of the Dark Heart of Skyrim year-long adventure, Greymoor’s main story continues the ominous narrative that begins in the Harrowstorm DLC dungeon pack. In this latest Chapter, you must investigate the evil behind the supernatural storms that have swept across the region.

While Greymoor’s main story is part of the year-long tale, you don’t need to have completed the Harrowstorm DLC to follow and enjoy the adventure. How you choose to experience Tamriel and the Dark Heart of Skyrim is up to you!

Antiquities System

The new Chapter also features the all-new antiquities system. This in-game activity allows you to uncover lost artifacts scattered across Tamriel. As an up-and-coming archaeologist, you can scry the location of ancient relics and excavate them via a series of new minigames.

The relics you can uncover include unique collectibles such as furnishings and mementos, and they are not limited to the new zone, but instead see you travel to every corner of the continent. Tamriel’s hidden history is yours to discover!

Pre-Purchase Greymoor Now

You can pre-purchase The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor now to receive unique rewards at launch, including the Jarl Finery costume, Jarl Crown adornment, Sacrificial Pocket Mammoth pet (actual sacrifice optional), Treasure Maps, a Nightfall Preview Crown Crate, and Experience Scrolls. In addition to this, for digital pre-purchases only, you receive immediate access to the Holdbreaker Warhorse mount!

Greymoor will be available in the following editions:

• The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor Standard Edition
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor Digital Upgrade
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor Digital Collector’s Edition
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor Digital Collector’s Edition Upgrade
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor Physical Collector’s Edition
The Greymoor Collector’s Edition comes with all the pre-purchase bonuses in addition to a host of unique digital goodies. For more information on each version of Greymoor and to find out which one is right for you, review our editions article. Finally, you can pre-purchase Greymoor on our Buy Now page right now!

Uncover the Dark Heart

Monsters emerge from the deeps of Western Skyrim, threatening all of Tamriel in the year-long Dark Heart of Skyrim adventure. The new Greymoor Chapter is at the center of this amazing new tale, so keep an eye out for more information regarding the new Chapter and epic storyline in the coming months. Skyrim needs heroes!

The Elder Scrolls Online: Greymoor is coming for PC and Mac on May 18, and PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on June 2. Pre-purchase Greymoor now digitally to receive unique bonus rewards and gain immediate access to the Holdbreaker Warhorse in-game mount (digital only—conditions apply). Don’t miss out!
Gematsu

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This looks cool, and I'm always up for new Skyrim stuff. But the fact that this chapter is only really including a new zone + a new archaeology system is a bit disappointing.

Considering how quickly these chapters usually come down in price, this looks like something I'll be picking up around Black Friday or maybe just early next year.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I keep trying to get into eso as my MMO but it’s always just overwhelming with stuff to do at this point.

JSoup

Banned
I have a copy of the base game, any reason to try it or would I essentially be unable to do anything ?

If you're enjoying the vanilla content, then pretty much any of the expansion areas are recommended, as they are all generally pretty good. As for accessibility, the game works on scale and you can do pretty much any outdoor content and most delves at level 1. You won't be able to do more complicated stuff (public/multiplayer dungeons, trials, most elite fights) without help or a lot of set up, but that's mostly all 'end game' type stuff anyway.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
ESO Plus killed the game for me. The inventory management without ESO plus is too much of a hassle. I did want to try the Necromancer...but I just can't bring myself to go back at this point.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
If you're enjoying the vanilla content, then pretty much any of the expansion areas are recommended, as they are all generally pretty good. As for accessibility, the game works on scale and you can do pretty much any outdoor content and most delves at level 1. You won't be able to do more complicated stuff (public/multiplayer dungeons, trials, most elite fights) without help or a lot of set up, but that's mostly all 'end game' type stuff anyway.
Does that mean leveling is pointless?

JSoup

Banned
Does that mean leveling is pointless?

Not at all, it just means that most story content will be open to you in any order you wish to do it. During the reveal stream the other day it was implied that other fixed/changes would be made to make the game more 'solo friendly'.

Leveling opens up your class skills, initially, and then allows for more customization of your character, better gear and actually having a build.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm looking at starting the game, I only have the vanilla version right now.

Would it still be ok and is there anyone that would be interested in working through it together?

Total noob here for the game. No idea about any of it. I'm going to install it and have it ready for tonight!

D.Final

Banned

Would it still be ok and is there anyone that would be interested in working through it together?

Total noob here for the game. No idea about any of it. I'm going to install it and have it ready for tonight!

Hard to say

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Hard to say
Do we have an OT for it? I couldn't find one for the game.

Got to level 5 last night and had a pretty good time actually. Lots still play it seems.

Draw distance kind of reminded me of PS2 levels though haha.

I'm a sorcerer Breton I think. Kind of fun!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Remember to tell which platform and which region (EU or US). Game doesn't have cross play and are regional "locked".

Can't wait to play it, have pre ordered it for the mount also, otherwise I could have waited.

If you like the base game you should be able to like the expansion. Im a little confused about the different upgrades, but one of them has all expansions (not DLCs though)

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Remember to tell which platform and which region (EU or US). Game doesn't have cross play and are regional "locked".

Can't wait to play it, have pre ordered it for the mount also, otherwise I could have waited.

If you like the base game you should be able to like the expansion. Im a little confused about the different upgrades, but one of them has all expansions (not DLCs though)
I'm confused about that too, there is literally dozens and dozens of different dlc. What does awesome buy?

Also, should I use the 4k viewing option or the 1080 enhanced? I'm on a 1080 tv but the pro could down sample the 4k. It seems about the same but wondering what I'm missing.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I'm confused about that too, there is literally dozens and dozens of different dlc. What does awesome buy?

-Standard Edition comes with Vanilla content only. That's the main continent (all three factions) and Cold Harbour.
-Gold Edition comes with Vanilla, Imperial City (PvP DLC), Morrowind, Orsinium, Gold Coast (Dark Brotherhood DLC) and Hew's Bane (Thief's Guild DLC). After Summerset completed, it was supposedly added to this set for new players as well. Or, at least, that's how I got it.
-For Elsweyr and Greymoor, if the edition says "Upgrade" it'll just be the DLC zone and you'll still need the base game. Any other version, including Collectors comes with Vanilla content only.
-There are currently no editions that grant ownership of all DLC areas. You'll either need to buy them individually or get access via ESO Plus.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
Anyone playing - it's a good game, but the in game cash shop is ridiculous and expensive and shod be avoided at all costs. Just ignore it.

The ONLY things worth it is new zone DLC , and almost all can be bought much cheaper physically. And youll have extra disc for friend. Also join guilds and play together it's v useful

D.Final

Banned
Anyone playing - it's a good game, but the in game cash shop is ridiculous and expensive and shod be avoided at all costs. Just ignore it.

The ONLY things worth it is new zone DLC , and almost all can be bought much cheaper physically. And youll have extra disc for friend. Also join guilds and play together it's v useful

True.
The cash shop should be destroied

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Looking to jump in on ps5. Which version should I get on the store? I played vanilla a bit but now have more time for it. If I buy the greymoor bundle right now will that get me pretty much everything?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
ESO Plus killed the game for me. The inventory management without ESO plus is too much of a hassle. I did want to try the Necromancer...but I just can't bring myself to go back at this point.
That is why I stopped playing. My inventory filled up QUICKLY! And it wasn't junk stuff. So I basically couldn't do anything without getting ESO Plus and I didn't want to pay for that.

crozier

How does it control on the PS4? I came close to to pulling the trigger on either this, Conan, or Black Desert. I don’t really need another timesink, though...and MMO controls on a DS4 concern me.

gioGAF

I'm still playing this on PS4. It controls decently, if you are planning on questing and doing some trials, you should have no problems. Might be a different story if you are used to PC and are someone who is trying to score push in competitive environments. I also don't PvP very much, so take that for what it's worth (I have never enjoyed the way this runs when PvPing).

The inventory management is horrible, and definitely a turnoff. However, if you haven't played recently, I would encourage you to give it another try. They introduced the "Item Set Collection" system in update 28. It allows you to reconstruct any piece of gear you have collected. That means you can junk everything you really don't use, that you thought might be good some day, that was good but no longer isn't but could be again, etc. You can then get it back whenever you want by reconstructing it (you do need to have the equivalent crafting "knowledge" available for this to work properly). This feature alone has cleared up my inventory and rendered it manageable.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I stopped playing in 2017. I made a thread with the reasons in the ufficial forums
Can anyone who still play tell me if they fixed at least some of them? I wouldn't mind to wander Tamriel again.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That is why I stopped playing. My inventory filled up QUICKLY! And it wasn't junk stuff. So I basically couldn't do anything without getting ESO Plus and I didn't want to pay for that.
Ha Funny, I actually did get back into it after a while. Still no ESO Plus but a buddy wanted me to play so bad he actually bought the subscription for me. Necromancer is a broken healer if you set him up right. I am not currently playing and you just reminded me to cancel my sub to ESO Plus. So thanks bud.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is es+ a must for a new player? I'm looking at the greymoor bundle to buy for my ps5 (it's like 70% off right now).

Ceadeus

Debating it -- I love ES, but never dabbled in the MMO

Worthwhile for an ES nerd who also loved WoW back in the day?

Sure as it has a lot of solo content. Prepare to be sucked in, this game is loaded with content. If it's your cup of tea you'll have the best time!

Tschumi

I tried to play this once.. it triggered a month long obsession with Morrowind to wash away the distaste i felt for teso's take on it all.. I'm constantly trying to tell myself that they didn't make the morag tong part of the fucking tutorial

I'm particularly butthurt to think that they will keep on dreaming up these big events and huge, huge high stakes changes to a game lore that's been sitting on a bookshelf in seyda neen since 2001.

Like future games are gonna have to deal with some random lord of Oblivion raping the earth a couple of months ago but being thwarted by a "group of heroes", puuke

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom