• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind |OT| Why walk when you can ride?

ch4fx_

I started playing ESO again after 3-4 previously failed attempts & HOLY SHIT I'm hooked in this go around. I've always loved the ES universe & ESO always sounded appealing to me, but it never clicked for whatever reason. Now that it has, I want to do ANYTHING & EVERYTHING I CAN, so I figured the next step is to join a guild & make some friends for the end game stuff.

I completed the submission form to join the PS4 GAF guild & I'll be sending friend requests to the IDs on the spreadsheet - hope to play with some of you soon!

DISCLAIMER - This is my first MMO & I have NO idea what I'm doing, but hopefully someone can take me under their wing & show me the ins/outs of the game. I'm mostly wanting/looking forward to doing end game dungeons/trials, but I know some of those come with gear requirements & mechanics that I will have to figure out.

I'm currently at level 19 on my Dragonknight Dark Elf, but plan on making a healer once I wrap my head around how different roles work.

I'd be happy to craft training gear if anyone needs it! :)

I'd be interested in grabbing some training gear from you if the offer still stands & it isn't too much of a pain in the ass. I mainly want the EXP boost I've heard training gear comes with.. leveling seems to take FOREVER.

Abylim

If you buy the disc for Morrowind, does it include all the other dlc?

I played the shit out of this ages ago in my PS4 but never bought any dlc

ch4fx_

If you buy the disc for Morrowind, does it include all the other dlc?

Unfortunately, no. The Morrowind disc gets you access to the base game + Morrowind, the rest of the DLC is sold separately through the crown store, the "Gold Edition" of ESO, or by subscribing to ESO+.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Abylim

Unfortunately, no. The Morrowind disc gets you access to the base game + Morrowind, the rest of the DLC is sold separately through the crown store, the "Gold Edition" of ESO, or by subscribing to ESO+.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And thus my ESO boner deflates

Thanks anyways

dubq

I'd be interested in grabbing some training gear from you if the offer still stands & it isn't too much of a pain in the ass. I mainly want the EXP boost I've heard training gear comes with.. leveling seems to take FOREVER.

Definitely! I'll PM you. :)

Dec

And thus my ESO boner deflates

Thanks anyways

It is unfortunate. Before Morrowind the game only received updates as DLC (though large for DLC). After they released a large amount of them they put out "Gold Edition" which included the base game and all DLC except one.

After that they released their first proper expansion in Morrowind and that just functions as other MMO expansions do.

Though not all DLC is for all players, so purchasing just the DLC that appeals to you is a good way to go and may save you money. One way to test all the DLC, and perhaps even get everything out of a DLC removing any reason to purchase it, is to subscribe to ESO+ for even just one month.

You can easily get everything you need from some of the DLC within a month of ESO+ and then your only reason to purchase them afterwards is if you want continued access to dailies in the areas those DLCs unlock. The dailies mainly are the same events over and over that you would only do to get things like the crafting styles exclusive to the area (crafting styles are a way to make your crafted gear look a certain way, it doesn't affect the stats, only the look). You can find pictures of those around and determine from that if you care to buy that DLC.

There is also the crafting bag you get access to if you are a ESO+ that helps immensely with bag space, but I personally think it's worth it to sub to ESO+ at least once just because all of your crafting materials go to the crafting bag and once your sub runs out they all stay in there unless you remove them, you just cannot add anymore. That might not be a concern as one month of running around picking up literally everything and having it permanently stored in your crafting bag even after losing access to it is a massive help.

The buy in for the game is high if you want to do everything, there is no way around that. But there are ways you can smartly reduce the cost if only you have some knowledge of the game beforehand. Hopefully I have provided that. If not for you, for anyone else interested in the game.

Stevey

I picked the base game up along with Morrowind in the Steam Sale.
Never played it before, made a new character and started, it started in me in Morrowind.
Is that normal?
Shouldnt I have access to the base game first?

Profiles don't transfer across platforms do they? I have this on PC and my friend wants me to play on Xbox, I hate the idea of starting over.

PepperedHam

I picked the base game up along with Morrowind in the Steam Sale.
Never played it before, made a new character and started, it started in me in Morrowind.
Is that normal?
Shouldnt I have access to the base game first?
By default it starts you off in Morrowind, but at Seyda Neen there's a guy who will take you to one of the original starting areas of your choice by boat. With One Tamriel there's really no natural order to what you should be doing, older, previous lower level zones aren't the required starting areas nowadays.

Stevey

By default it starts you off in Morrowind, but at Seyda Neen there's a guy who will take you to one of the original starting areas of your choice by boat. With One Tamriel there's really no natural order to what you should be doing, older, previous lower level zones aren't the required starting areas nowadays.

OK, thanks

BizzyBum

Profiles don't transfer across platforms do they? I have this on PC and my friend wants me to play on Xbox, I hate the idea of starting over.

There was a brief time during console launch where PC players could transfer but now it's impossible, unfortunately.

I really wish they had it so PC, Xbox, and PS4 all played together.

Redshirt

Banned
Cross-platform would be amazing.

But I think that seeding XB1/PS4 with PC had a negative effect (economy) that the consoles are still recovering from. :/

Thanks for the answers, that's a shame, cross play or character tracking on both platforms would be a boon for the game. Maybe Zenimax will implement that in the future. It'd certainly be easier for Zenimax to patch in cross play rather than me simply buying the game on a different platform.

I wonder if Horns of the Reach will fill out the Skyrim area more (besides the dungeons). I'd love to have Whiterun and Markarth.

Xater

So I started playing this and Tommy surprise actually enjoy it a lot. To my surprise because the beta back in the day didn't impress me. I'm playing on PS4 on the EU server. Is there a guild going or something?

BizzyBum

I'm still kind of amazed at how frequently these guys are able to pump out meaty, fully voiced and, at least as far as morrowind goes, well written quests. The level of content for a solo player in this game is... freakish. Its a stark contrast to the many mmo's of the past which would often start with a bang, only to quickly fall off a cliff due to a lack of content.

Yeah, the amount of content in this game is staggering. I thought the vanilla game had a shit load of content, but now if you're a completely new player you have that, all of Craglorn, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial City, and Morrowind. And that's just the solo PvE content, nevermind all the group dungeons, trials, Cyrodiil PvP, Battlegrounds.

Depending how casual you play it could take people years to exhaust all the content.

It'd be cool if they did additional seasons for the various factions, a new Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild quest line in new areas would be welcome.

timewyrm

Yeah, the amount of content in this game is staggering. I thought the vanilla game had a shit load of content, but now if you're a completely new player you have that, all of Craglorn, Orsinium, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial City, and Morrowind. And that's just the solo PvE content, nevermind all the group dungeons, trials, Cyrodiil PvP, Battlegrounds.

Depending how casual you play it could take people years to exhaust all the content.

That's all with the vanilla game, or Morrowind ?

Maybesew

We got a guild bank on PS4 now! I've depositied a few odds and ends, but then singed up for ESO plus so i have more bag space.

If anyone has provisioning recipes or corn, i could use some.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
ESO is the perfect relaxing MMO to play on the couch with a big ol' TV with a controller (I'm on PC).

Amazing community, SUCH improved mechanics from vanilla and the stories are as good as any TES game IMO.

I'm constantly in awe as to how much this game has improved since I bought the CE on launch....the controller support is a MASSIVE plus for me, as I nigh on abhore sitting at my PC desk for too long due to working at one.

ESO is the perfect relaxing MMO to play on the couch with a big ol' TV with a controller (I'm on PC).

Amazing community, SUCH improved mechanics from vanilla and the stories are as good as any TES game IMO.

I'm constantly in awe as to how much this game has improved since I bought the CE on launch....the controller support is a MASSIVE plus for me, as I nigh on abhore sitting at my PC desk for too long due to working at one.

This really is a nice kick back and relax game, at least it is for me as I don't do raids (don't have a group). It's even more relaxing in Vvardenfell with the top tier music. I got a Logitech G13, which is pretty great for ESO, though controller support is nice to switch to every now and again.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This really is a nice kick back and relax game, at least it is for me as I don't do raids (don't have a group). It's even more relaxing in Vvardenfell with the top tier music. I got a Logitech G13, which is pretty great for ESO, though controller support is nice to switch to every now and again.

Add me up mate, us PC adventurers need to stick together lol (we seem to be the minority haha), beth id: ivorysamoan.

Also, Logi G13 looks amazing: does it work well couch side? :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I've been wondering.

Like say you get the craft bag and increased bank storage when you go Plus right? (like say from this free event) What happens when it expires? What happens to all of your craft items or to the items that becomes excess items from your bank due tot he increased bank space?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So I've been wondering.

Like say you get the craft bag and increased bank storage when you go Plus right? (like say from this free event) What happens when it expires? What happens to all of your craft items or to the items that becomes excess items from your bank due tot he increased bank space?

Not sure about the bank space. But for the crafting bag, you may continue to draw materials from it even after the sub expires, you simply won't be able to add to it. I would imagine that the extra vault space works similarly.

dubq

So I've been wondering.

Everything stays in both you just can't deposit any more.

Finally diving into the Morrowind content. Man, this zone is gorgeous. Quests seem awesome so far and Vivec City is stunning.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm fiiiiiiiinally starting to wrap up the Daggerfall Covenant stuff. Finished both the Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild the other night. And am starting to think about actually exploring Coldharbor and wrapping up the main storyline too. But my brother just bought in and since he's playing for the first time, he's started up in Vvardenfell. He's on a lot less than I am, but we're trying to co-op most of the region.

Is it just me, or does Vvardenfell content ridiculously triple down on trespassing missions? I fuckin' hate 'em, and don't remember ever having needed to do one at any point while tackling main quest, regional side quest, MG quest, FG quest, or alliance-specific quest content. It's pretty pointless. I never wasted any points on stealth skill lines, so I invariably get caught, wind up slaughtering my way through the location, accrue a stupendous bounty, finish what I'm there to do, egress to a nearby fence to pawn off my ill-gotten loot, then proceed to the nearest town guard for a quick murder and bounty-wipe (reparing my gear costs like 2% of what it does to pay off a bounty).

Crime and punishment has always been a bit half-baked in TES. But it's just so pointless here.

dubq

I can see it being a bit stealth heavy since you're working with Naryu, but it does seem a bit excessive, I agree.

Taker34

Banned
I can see it being a bit stealth heavy since you're working with Naryu, but it does seem a bit excessive, I agree.

Especially since Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are heavily stealth based as well... Wrothgar, Craiglorn and the base game provinces are way better designed in that regard.

BizzyBum

Free ESO+ July 5-9. Free crates for actual ESO+ members those same days.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/07/03/announcing-the-eso-plus-bonus-event

ZOS is smart. Once people experience the necessity of the crafting bag they will want to keep being an ESO+ member. It also has some other nice benefits like 10% increase in XP, gold, and trait research. The free loot crates are nice too but don't give in to the dark side and purchase them for real money once you get a taste of the gambling life. lol

Is this capped at 100fps on PC?
Cant seem to get it any higher

Yeah, think so. I'm not sure if there's a way to increase it via the .ini file, though.

Add me up mate, us PC adventurers need to stick together lol (we seem to be the minority haha), beth id: ivorysamoan.

Also, Logi G13 looks amazing: does it work well couch side? :)

I'll add you next time I log in!

The G13 as a couch device depends on your setup I suppose. You're still using a mouse coupled with the G13, I love the analog control for movement, I use it for a lot of games now.

Redshirt

Banned
The free loot crates are nice too but don't give in to the dark side and purchase them for real money once you get a taste of the gambling life. lol.

I spent more than $100 getting my storm atronach wolf mount. :p

I don't mind splurging a bit on ESO or any game I play this much, but I'll probably never buy crates again.

i4E8mHo.jpg

Foxxsoxx

So I've had this game for a while now and I haven't really played much at all.

Just wondering, what is the hook of this game?

Is it more like a SP game with MMO elements? Any raids or anything that is difficult content or is it more just a SP story and that's all? (not that it would be a bad thing)

Foxxsoxx

Played some vanilla tonight, started off as a Nord in Skyrim. Really, really feels like Skyrim with random other people running around right now. Only played an hour and a half though until the servers went down for maintenance, but I enjoyed it.

Question? I know I'm just starting the game but it seems very easy right now. Does it stay like this or does it get pretty difficult?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Played some vanilla tonight, started off as a Nord in Skyrim. Really, really feels like Skyrim with random other people running around right now. Only played an hour and a half though until the servers went down for maintenance, but I enjoyed it.

Question? I know I'm just starting the game but it seems very easy right now. Does it stay like this or does it get pretty difficult?

personally i found the main quest (not morrowind) really easy. took me about 25 hours. it never got harder and even the final boss fight wasn't difficult. i think it's because they have enemies scale with you now so you're not really too weak/powerful. i think you used to have to be at lvl 50 to progress the story but i was nowhere near that by the end.

morrowind i found more challenging though but it is a lot shorter.

Foxxsoxx

personally i found the main quest (not morrowind) really easy. took me about 25 hours. it never got harder and even the final boss fight wasn't difficult. i think it's because they have enemies scale with you now so you're not really too weak/powerful. i think you used to have to be at lvl 50 to progress the story but i was nowhere near that by the end.

morrowind i found more challenging though but it is a lot shorter.

Yeah I've noticed I don't even really have to dodge or block anything and my health practically stays at 95% in a 1v1. Couldn't figure out of that was some serious low level handholding though.

After you finish the main quest what else is there to do besides sidequests? I'm not sure if this is supposed to be like FF14 or WoW where there is grinding or if it's mostly just a game where you ride out the main quest then come back when content releases.

Top Bottom