• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

goldensun

WHOA aren't you in the HOTS thread? that's crazy you're playing this too now?
Yeah, I haven't had much success community wise with HOTS. Even the friends I made playing that game couldn't keep me from getting super salty.

MOBAs are not for me in the long run. I'll definitely come back sometime and play HOTS more though, it's way fun (when you win :p).

hepburn3d said:
lol we did vet fungal last night. Was horrific. The lag was making that boss insanely hard. Out of interest why couldn't you do it? That one really requires everyone to know the strategy. I love hate vet dungeons. Brutally punishing, epicly rewarding! In the cave boss near the end I had to be the DD who kept getting sucked in. It bugged out while I was in there so when I came out the cave stayed open, made it much easier. Hate that cave, the spiders some times get stuck in the rocks and you get locked in there :(

You on EU? I've got a tonne of Ta runes I could use to help you level up enchanting. Writs got me the last bit of EXP i needed to max it out.
We couldn't beat it because our DPS was fairly slow and I kept getting attacked because I had to switch between full heals and full DPS (Sorcerer).

We were all in Skype too, it was kind of a painful experience. We had the strategy down, just couldn't get lucky and had really unfortunately shackles sometimes (out of place, our best DPS, etc.).

I'm on the NA servers unfortunately, but thank you for your kind offer :) Chat with me on stream if you guys ever want to, I read chat the whole time I stream! (twitch.tv/jonfled)

hepburn3d

We couldn't beat it because our DPS was fairly slow and I kept getting attacked because I had to switch between full heals and full DPS (Sorcerer).

We were all in Skype too, it was kind of a painful experience. We had the strategy down, just couldn't get lucky and had really unfortunately shackles sometimes (out of place, our best DPS, etc.).

That is a horrific boss. I was the main DPS on that one and I got chained nearly every time. Puts a lot of pressure on everyone else. I think that's what I love about this game sometimes though, you can't just be all in on one focus, at times some people back up heal, others spread tank etc it's pretty cool. I really enjoyed it when my whole group wiped while I was DPS bowing from a distance, so the boss came at me and I had to back up tank while rezzing the healer, then dragging the spider away while the others got rezz'd by the healer. Makes groups feel fluid and combat feel engaging.

goldensun

I'm having fun just upping my enchanting as well. The game has so much to do and I feel like I'm going to never get to make my second character haha.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
love this shot

jprb.png

KePoW

Banned
EP starting in Morrowind makes the game a little drab at the start but gets really nice when you enter Skyrim.

This must be it, because my EP character is like level 11 and I really hated the art style of the areas I've seen so far. I just don't like look of the dark elf areas

lazygecko

This must be it, because my EP character is like level 11 and I really hated the art style of the areas I've seen so far. I just don't like look of the dark elf areas

Agreed. The hodgepodge of mushroom grasslands, volcanoes, dwemer ruins, daedric ruins, dark elf villages, argonian villages, etc I think becomes too much clashing stuff to take in at once. It really suffers more than other territories from being a highly compressed MMO world.

I wish all areas could be even half as spaced out and natural feeling as Cyrodiil is. That zone really has room to breathe and IMO is much better for it.

BizzyBum

I like Elden Root because all of the crafter are in a nice circle.

My go to spot is Stormhold in Shadowfen. Horse stable right at the wayshrine, then a quick jog to the crafters which are in a small area and the bank is also right there, as well.

It's one of those things where I stuck with a routine and would still use even if there's a better spot out there. lol

haikira

Was originally going to ask this in the PC screenshot thread, but thought maybe better in here. Any advice for getting SweetFX to work without crashing? Haven't had much luck...

Also, having started this game with two friends last week, have to say, I'm really liking it. Obviously it follows several conventions to the genre, it also manages to feel quite fresh and bring back a feeling of discovery I haven't felt playing many recent MMOs.

Think we're currently level nine. Looking forward to the first dungeon, which should be around twelve, if I'm not mistaken?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
sweet fx was a dick for me to get working

my best solution which has worked for me and for another gaffer in the screenshot thread is this.

go here https://www.gamemodi.net/ download the sweetfx stuff on the right, ignore the launcher the fog removal isnt anywhere near as fancy as those screenshots look and in many places highlights the box area and cuttoffs etc that you see in an editor.

once the download is finished extract everything inside into a new folder, i just make a new one on desktop. now locate your eso.exe for EU it comes under this
C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online EU\game\client
in the folder you made copy everything to there and now load the game like you normally would.

sweetfx auto starts on so if you wanna check it works press the scrlk key and it will toggle it off (because it auto starts on) then toggle again to turn back on.

if you want to tweak the settings just edit the SweetFx_Settings document in the directory.

regarding a question earlier my game is standard settings and i only use sweetfx for increased aa and literally a couple of notches of sharpening just bring out a little more detail on textures. like toggling it on/off you literally dont notice much difference.

those stone textures do like nicer with my settings tho :D

i hate most sweetfx configs people make not just for eso but any game its like enb people add to much over color and other such effects which really deter from original artist look and at that point the game isnt the same it looks entirely different.

also bear in mind my screens are downsampled too :D

spk

Ah ok. It looks a good bit better than my game with SweetFX/ESOLauncher so I thought maybe there was more. There's no freecamera or anything right?

haikira

Thanks for the lengthy response.

I'm already down sampling from 1440p to 1080p, and to be honest, I think the game already looks great. I just like to tinker around and was annoyed I couldn't get SweetFX to work.

Also, yeah, I know what you mean about the over saturated presets. I've used them for other games, and had my eyes burnt out.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
first few steps in deshaan screeny

VCrb.png

patch notes
OVERVIEW
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited v2.0.3 is an incremental patch that fixes issues with gameplay, crafting, quests, and more. We also have continued to make some changes to the Alliance War, and have also significantly increased the XP you receive from Trials bosses. This patch will be approximately 425MB for EN and DE, and 1.5GB for French.

KNOWN ISSUES
Gameplay
If you have all three riding upgrades on your mount, it will appear as though you don’t have any upgrades. This is only a visual issue, and will be fixed in a future patch.

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS
Alliance War
General
If you contribute to killing a boss in a Cyrodiil delve, you will now be granted a 60-minute AP buff which increases your AP gains by 20%.
Note: While this buff will be visible in areas outside of Cyrodiil, it will only be active while in Cyrodiil.
Fixed an issue with the Valkyn Skoria set where it was unintentionally proccing multiple casts of Meteor within a single global cooldown. This was particularly noticable in Cyrodiil.
Increased the Mender and Honor Guard’s range on their basic ranged attack to 49 meters.
The keep and resource upgrade “Heartier Guard” now adds 10% health to guards.
Resources can now receive the upgrade “More Resistant Guard,” and now also includes a Siege resistance.

Art & Animation
Animation
Fixed an issue that was causing some NPCs to visibly pop when standing from a sitting or kneeling position.

Combat & Gameplay
General
Updated multiple abilities and passives so they no longer increase the damage dealt by siege weapons.

Dragonknight
Ardent Flame
Molten Whip: Fixed an issue where this ability wasn’t providing increased damage to Ardent Flame ability morphs that use Stamina.

Templar
Restoring Light
Rite of Passage: This ability will now heal player characters with the lowest health in the area, rather than those closest to the caster.

World
Vampire
Unnatural Resistance: Fixed an issue where this passive wasn’t functioning properly after you changed zones or re-logged.

Champion System
The Mage
The Apprentice Constellation
Spell Erosion: Fixed an issue that was resulting in this passive having a much lower effect than desired.
The Warrior
The Lord Constellation
Medium Armor Focus: Fixed an issue where this passive wasn’t reducing the damage that you take from physical attacks.

Crafting & Economy
General
Certain drinks no longer restore stamina directly in addition to increasing your stamina regeneration. This was accidental, and not an effort to render drinks more competitive with food.
Increased the effectiveness of crafted food and drinks by approximately 6%.

Potions
Potions dropped as loot or purchased from vendors will now actually last as long as they describe, and not lie to you and leave you hanging after five seconds.

Crown Store
General
Updated the French and German Crown Health Potion tooltips.

Dungeons & Group Content
Trials
Significantly increased the XP received from defeating bosses in Hel Ra Citadel, Aetherian Archives, and Sanctum Ophidia.

Exploration & Itemization
Item Sets
Valkyn Skoria: Fixed an issue where the meteor cooldown from this item set was being ignored when hitting multiple targets. We have equalized the global cooldown for this item set so it’s more in-line with other item sets.

Quests & Zones
Deshaan
The Light Fantastic: The light beams from the puzzle will now consistently appear for those on the proper quest step.

Main Quest
Daughter of Giants: Fixed an issue where the theater sequence and quest would break if Lyris somehow got stuck on her way to the grave. Now, the theater sequence will start regardless of whether she is able to reach the grave or not.
Soul Shriven in Coldharbour: Fixed an issue where you wouldn’t be granted the Soul Magic skill line or receive the first chapter of the Main Story when skipping the Wailing Prison. If you previously ran into this issue, please go back to the boat or house you started in.

Shadowfen
Scales of Retribution: Fixed an issue where running through the area while on the quest step to rescue villagers might cause them to despawn.

Sblargh

Banned
After playing this game a whole lot this week (and still not reached lvl 50), I think I came to the conclusion that I like it more than I like Skyrim. (and my rating goes like; The-vision-of-Daggerfall-that-exists-only-in-my-head -> Skyrim -> Morrowind -> Oblivion -> Arena -> Actual-Daggerfall)

It's pretty obvious when you think about it, but the name is actually very accurate. It is Elder Scrolls Online; it plays so much like a single player Elder Scrolls (despite all reviews saying "this is not skyrim online" which seems like a line Zenimax PR fed journalists to avoid backlash), but the backbone of a MMO really enhances the experience a lot.

On single player Elder Scrolls, you usually make-believe you are a trader and crafting is only there to give you OP gear. Here, you are actually a trader and what you craft may actually be worth its trouble (also, it is OP gear). At the same time, it is probably the best crafting system I ever seen on a MMO because you don't grind materials; materials are one of the many rewards of exploration.

And this is where it feels like a genuine Elder Scrolls experience. I'm still feeling I'm exploring; and with another 2 storylines waiting, there is a lot more of exploring to do and since the setting is the entire Tamriel, there's a diversity of locations that is very pleasing.

Being a MMO, there is no saving and even if you lose very little by dieing, just the fact that enemies go back to full health and you get bumped back to a wayshrine is an incentive to stay alive (which didn't really existed in single player ES games since you could save scum forever). At first it is a little annoying to share dungeons with other players (and 100% immersion breaking to see them being accompanied by the exact same NPC as you), but then it becomes always a pleasant situtation. There's no downside to have other players around and people inside a dungeon often start to work together as soon as they realize you're both doing the same quest.

And leveling in this game is great because the actual levels don't matter that much. I mean, they increase your overall power, but the best part about leveling - getting to learn how to do more stuff - is done by the skill points and this is another area where the game rewards exploration big time. Searching for skyshards (which means doing a bunch of dungeon crawling no related to quests), doing side quests, completing group dungeons; a lot of "optional" things reward skill points. And so, if you'e not power leveling to 50, you're always getting a lot of them, which truly is what allows you to be specialize torwards being a PVPer or a crafter or a PVE-oriented dungeon player or a really good thief; because the basic skills that allows you to be a decent DPS/Tank/Healer really don't consume a lot of skill points. What does is directing your character torwards the part of the game you like the most.

And so alts become a really good thing, because not only there is still two more storylines to complete (and I'm finding the writing on this significantly better than other Elder Scrolls games), but it makes sense to have one or two crafters, one super thief, one PVP-oriented fellow and just variants of variants since the skill system allow any class to fulfill any role.

Anyway, I'm loving this game. Not in the sense of being an amazing MMO, but in that Elder Scrolls way of losing yourself in the world. And being a shared world actually improves the experience.

KePoW

Banned
It's a very good game for sure

Got a bum rap at launch for who knows what reason. I guess some people are biased against MMOs. Those people can piss off!

It's a very good game for sure

Got a bum rap at launch for who knows what reason. I guess some people are biased against MMOs. Those people can piss off!

That's about what I have seen as far as the reason for it's bad rep. Some people just hate on MMOs because of WoW.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i think the main problem was everyone was creating their own hype coming of the thriving mod community from skyrim and were expecting all sorts of things.

PepperedHam

Been getting a new character rolling with my cousin and I forgot how fun this game is. The addition of the Justice system has made for some fun spontaneous moments.

Really enjoying being inside of a western MMO for a change. Been playing loads and loads of FFXIV and that's super bright and Japanese so it's been nice to hang out with some orcs again.

If there's a NA GAF guild I am totally down to join. I'm not home and I forget my exact user ID so I'll be back around to plug in my info later tonight.

hepburn3d

whoa u look krazy buddie

ebonheart pact sux!!

Hah it was funny and incredibly frustrating. I actually think it's a bug I should submit. There was no bite animation, then stuck like this for whole mission, could only heavy attack and ran at lightning speed in this position. Glad I'd done this before or would have been confused ...

...also...

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!

Hah it was funny and incredibly frustrating. I actually think it's a bug I should submit. There was no bite animation, then stuck like this for whole mission, could only heavy attack and ran at lightning speed in this position. Glad I'd done this before or would have been confused ...

...also...

BLOOD FOR THE PACT!

BLOOD FOR THE
BLOOD GOD
PACT!

That is one strange bug you found man. That screenie would make an excellent avatar pic. His expression is priceless.

hepburn3d

Looks like a titan from AoT.

Such ... a good ... anime / manga! I should of stripped down for the full effect.

Have to say playing an alt always seems more fun than the the first main. This games fun is in the journeys rather than the end game for me. I've enjoyed the trials, vet PvP and Undaunted Dailies but you can't beat that sense of exploration and level progression of main story. Having to go from my V14 NB stealth master to a clumsy attention seeking Nord is kind of fun. I took for granted being able to steal from lock boxes an inch from an NPC's face. My nord can barely steal from bags with no one around now. He's like guard magnet.

The justice system has really added so much. It was a moment of achievement to find a purple motif in a desk pre 1.6 but now if you find one and manage to steal it and launder it, that's an amazing feeling of achievement.

Top Bottom