• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

hepburn3d

Aetherian Archive Complete! Took 36 minutes so missed out on the time trial achievement but at least figured it out.

First time I tried it we went in with no strat and a random group. Second time we nailed the group and had a strat and only lost 3 tickets.

Definitely need to follow a strat for this trial. Needs at least 3 negates on some boss's.

Hardest part ... getting a group of 12 people exactly as you need them. Come on group tool!!! Sort it out!

Having got to round 8 of DS arena I really want to get that done now but that does take hours.

Brilliant game, just when I think I'm slowing down in the game it pulls me right back in :D

Amneisac

I am going to start playing this possibly tonight or in the next few days with a small handful of friends. Is there a concentrated enough population of GAF players on any particular server/alliance that we should join? Am I seeing the OP correctly that there is just one server or NA and EU and stuff?

hepburn3d

I am going to start playing this possibly tonight or in the next few days with a small handful of friends. Is there a concentrated enough population of GAF players on any particular server/alliance that we should join? Am I seeing the OP correctly that there is just one server or NA and EU and stuff?

On EU server there are 3 GAFfers left, that i'm aware of. We mainly play Ebonheart Pact (Go tomatoes!) but have alts in all 3 alliances if you need help or want to group. If you do play on EU, PM me and I'll add you to the roster. Can also craft you some armor sets if you struggle at any point.

I am in charge of the NA Gaf guild, and we just have myself, a few of my friends and one other in the guild. I expect more people to become active after this month's update however. We are also mostly Ebonheart Pact, though I can help you with armor and weapons to start out if you are having difficulty.

I would honestly prefer if they game remained subscription based, but didn't charge so much for the actual game disk/download.

I know too many games that went to shit after going f2p.

Ewww, GAF is going to have a field day if that happens.

The next big patch is a doozy right? Champion system and morality stuff? It's what I'm waiting for before I go back to this game.

Ewww, GAF is going to have a field day if that happens.

The next big patch is a doozy right? Champion system and morality stuff? It's what I'm waiting for before I go back to this game.
Champion system and teh first part of the Justice System. They will be adding the pvp elements of the Justice system later. Now you will be able to steal, loot and pickpocket your way through the towns. Also get chased by the guards.

BizzyBum

I took a break from this but will eventually play again.

I think F2P was inevitable, though. The only sub based game is WoW. I don't really mind F2P is handled right. As long as there's no advantages via a cash shop and it's just cosmetic stuff then it's fine. Doesn't hurt to have more players, either.

I hate the TOR model, but the game did bounce back and perform much better once it went F2P.

BizzyBum

I see an option under the account website to link my Xbox Live profile, for console access.

7drHiqr.gif

hepburn3d

Was reading someone's guide on how to become Emperor and OH MY GOD how is it even possible for anyone employed or studying??? The guy talks about getting your sleep requirement down to 6 hours, non-stop play strategies, 1 hour a days for real world stuff!!!!! Now when ever I see the title over someone's head I'm more cautious about what kind of person they are than I am impressed.

Interesting reading about all the provisioning changes to, slightly worried I should have sold all the tomatoes and pepper I hoarded now as they don't seem as valuable as they used to :(

Started researching my first nirn as well now; bow, shield and fire staff, only 26 days to go, ouch

Once I've completed a few traits I'll post on here if people want them and have the traits material.

hepburn3d

Resurrection complete: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-gets-console-release-date-drops-subscription

Game goes buy to play (no more subscription required), console comes out June.

Well there you go. Tamriel Unlimited. Huh.

Beginning June 9th, you can join your friends on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to play The Elder Scrolls Online – Tamriel Unlimited… with no game subscription fees!

When will The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited be available? We plan to have The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited available on PC and Mac on March 17, 2015 and on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on June 9, 2015.
Will a monthly subscription be required to play The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited? No. After the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, the only requirement to play will be a copy of the game, an internet connection, and a valid game account.

Not sure what to think. On the one hand great, I can play my other games without the guilt of a sub looming over me, on the other hand what changes will occur?

Edit:

New trailer is actually pretty awesome, shame they didn't put animation cancelling in though ;)

gossi

You will be able to buy coins to spend in game, and expansion content will be chargable now.

I think it's a good mix. They will have a huge influx of players, especially on console. It's no secret in industry that Zenimax are struggling.

hepburn3d

You will be able to buy coins to spend in game, and expansion content will be chargable now.

I think it's a good mix. They will have a huge influx of players, especially on console. It's no secret in industry that Zenimax are struggling.

Purchase expandable content I agree with but coin in game *sigh* was fun while it lasted

Whelp. It was bound to happen sometime. Hopefully this means our presence on the NA server will grow. I would like to get the guild up to par sooner rather than later.

H3xum

In fairness, they're limiting $ purchasable items to 'vanity items' - think horses etc.

Is that true? Where did you see that? Great news.

Wonder if that's what the console will be as well.

I assumed the Crowns would be to fast track the sickest gear, which bummed me out.

hepburn3d

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

When will The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited be available?
We plan to have The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited available on PC and Mac onMarch 17, 2015 and on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on June 9, 2015.

Will a monthly subscription be required to play The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited?
No. After the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, the only requirement to play will be a copy of the game, an internet connection, and a valid game account.

I’ve already purchased The Elder Scrolls Online on PC/Mac. Do I need to buy a new copy of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited?
No. Your game will be automatically updated to the new edition. If you have a game account, either open or previously closed, simply log in, patch the client, and begin playing.

I canceled my subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. Can I return and play the game at no additional charge?
Yes. At the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited you can simply log-in with your UserID and password to access the game and receive your allotment of complimentary crowns. If you need help recovering your UserID or password, please click on the "Forgot UserID?" or "Forgot Password?" links on your account page.

What restrictions are being placed on the game and players now that subscriptions are no longer required to play?
None. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited is the full version of the game, with all previous updates and content additions, including the new Champion and Justice systems.

Will I need to be an Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus member in order to play the console versions?
Yes. As with any standard multiplayer game on these platforms, an internet connection and an Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus membership will be required to play.

I have pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls Online for PS4 or Xbox One already. Do I have to cancel this and pre-order The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited?
No. Pre-orders for The Elder Scrolls Online will automatically transition to The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. Please check with your pre-order partner/retailer should you have questions about your pre-order.

What is ESO Plus?
ESO Plus is an optional premium membership offered to players with the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. ESO Plus memberships will be offered in 30-, 90-, and 180-day durations.

What are the benefits of ESO Plus membership?
ESO Plus offers members exclusive in-game bonuses, a reoccurring allotment of crowns and access to all downloadable content (DLC) game packs for the duration of membership.
Membership Duration
30-day
1500 crowns at the start of each 30-day membership period
Access to all downloadable content for the duration of membership
Exclusive character progression bonuses for the duration of membership
10% bonus to experience point gain
10% bonus to crafting research
10% bonus to crafting inspiration gain
10% bonus to gold acquisition
90-day
4500 crowns at the start of each 90-day membership period
180-day
9000 crowns at the start of each 180-day membership period

I am a current subscriber to The Elder Scrolls Online and my subscription will be active when the game transitions to The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. What happens to my subscription?
The remaining subscription time will automatically transition to ESO Plus membership. You will receive the applicable allotment of crowns as described above. No refunds will be offered on existing subscriptions.

I have recurring billing setup for my subscription. Do I need to change this for ESO Plus membership?
No. You don't need to do anything - your account will automatically transition to ESO Plus with recurring billing active. If you do not wish to keep recurring billing, you may change this option in your account page.

I do not have recurring billing setup for my subscription and do not intend to renew. What happens during the transition?
The remaining subscription time will automatically transition to an ESO Plus membership for the remainder of your subscription time. Even if you only have a portion of subscription time, you will receive the applicable allotment of crowns as described above. No refunds will be offered on existing subscriptions.

If I cancel my subscription less than 30 days before the ESO Plus transition, can I still access the game?
Yes. Even if you cancel, if your remaining subscription time overlaps with the introduction of ESO Plus, you'll receive the full benefits of membership for the remaining portion of your subscription time, including the applicable allotment of crowns as described above.

Will I need to purchase an ESO Plus membership to play the game after the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited?
No. There is no membership requirement to play the game.

Will The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited come with 30 days of ESO Plus membership free with purchase?
No. However, new game accounts will receive 500 complimentary crowns to spend in the Crown Store.

What happens if I apply unused game time cards after the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited and the transition to ESO Plus?
Any game time cards applied to an account after the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited will add the equivalent duration of ESO Plus membership to an account.

What happens to my crowns and inventory if my ESO Plus membership should lapse?
If your membership ends, you will keep all crowns, items and rewards in your inventory at the time of termination.

What is the Crown Store and what can I buy?
The Crown Store is an in-game shop that allows you to buy convenience and customization items for your characters, as well as services and content.

Will I be required to buy anything from the Crown Store to play the game?
No. All items in the Crown Store are completely optional and are meant to enhance your game play experience. They are not required to play or compete in the game.

What are crowns?
Crowns are a new "virtual currency" being introduced with the release of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. They can be used to purchase in-game items, services and content via the Crown Store interface in the game. Crowns are available for purchase separately and are included as part of an ESO Plus membership.
When you purchase crowns, you receive a license to use them in the game; therefore, they are not sellable, tradable, or usable outside of the game. Please see the Terms of Service for additional information regarding the terms and conditions applicable to virtual currency.*

How do I get crowns?
There are several ways to get crowns:
As a new player: New players will be given a one-time gift of 500 crowns for buying the game and creating a game account.
As a current subscriber: If you are an active subscriber when The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited launches, you will receive 500 crowns for having a game account, plus 100 crowns for each 30-day period you have been an active subscriber. In addition, you'll be automatically enrolled in ESO Plus for the remainder of your subscription period. You'll receive the full benefits of membership, and 1500 crowns for each 30-day period remaining on your subscription. For example, if you have 30 days or less remaining, you will receive 1500 crowns. If you have between 30 and 60 days remaining, you will receive 3000 crowns. 60 to 90 days, 4500 crowns.
As a returning player: If you've previously played The Elder Scrolls Online, but are no longer a subscriber, you'll receive 500 crowns when you log in for having a game account, plus 100 crowns for each 30-day period you were a subscriber.
Purchase Crown Packs: PC/Mac players will be able to purchase crown packs fromThe Elder Scrolls Online store. Console players will be able to purchase crowns via the Xbox Live or PSN stores.

Will everything be purchased with crowns now? What happens to gold I have in the game?
You will keep and use gold as you always have in the game. Gold is still the main currency you'll use in transactions with NPCs and other players. Crowns allow you to purchase convenience and customization items (such as pets and mounts) and to access content offered in the in-game Crown Store.

Can I transfer crowns to a friend?
No. Crowns cannot be transferred to other players.

Can I transfer, sell or gift items or content purchases from the Crown Store to other players?
No. Items purchased with crowns are used exclusively by the account holder.

Can I get a refund for unused crowns?
No. Crowns are non-refundable and not redeemable for cash.

Can I use crowns in a different game or outside of the game?
No. Crowns cannot be transferred to other games and have no value outside of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Do my crowns and purchased items come with me if I switch megaservers?
For PC and Mac players able to play on either the North America or European megaservers, crowns carry over from one server to the other. However, all items purchased via the Crown Store are only available on the server where they were purchased. For example, if you buy a pet on the North American megaserver, it will only be available when playing on the North American megaserver. If you want the pet to be available when playing on the European megaserver, you will need to purchase that pet on the European server. Console players are automatically assigned to the megaserver in their respective home territory and are not able to switch.

Does purchased downloadable content (DLC) come with me if I switch megaservers?
No. DLC purchased in the Crown Store is only available on the megaserver where it was purchased. (For example, if you buy DLC on the North American megaserver, it will only be available when playing on the North American megaserver.)

What is downloadable content (also known as DLC)?
DLC for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited consists of game packs with optional adventuring content (zones, quests, etc.) added to the game to enhance your game play experience should you choose. It is not required.

How can I get this downloadable content?
DLC will be available for purchase in the Crown Store on an a la carte basis. DLC purchased on an a la carte basis will be available to you for as long as The Elder Scrolls Online is available. Members of ESO Plus will receive complimentary access to all DLC game packs for the duration of their membership.

Do I lose all items and rewards earned from DLC if my ESO Plus membership ends?
No. You will lose access to the DLC areas and quests should your membership lapse (unless you purchase the DLC separately in the Crown Store), but you will keep all items and rewards earned through the content.

Well being at end game I may keep my sub + for this DLC content. 2 man dungeons please Zenimax gods!

Man I bet all that grinding I've done to get 7 dwemer motifs is going to be wasted :p

The 10% exp bonus I would say is a negative to any new players. If you play the content you level naturally. Having started a few alts and re-run a few dungeons it's not as fun being over level. Good for those speed players who want max alts in less time.

I definitely have to agree on the xp bonus. The game is set up to level perfectly right now, and the bonus will be detrimental to new players. It is far more fun to be on level with things.

hepburn3d

Some of the new content you'll be able to buy in the shop.

Blacksmith, Chef, Banded Guar Charger, Dapple Gray Palfrey

yKF650V.jpg

White Mane Horse, Tessellated Guar, Piebald Destrier, Alik'r Dune Hound

3TaLcXb.jpg

Striped Senche Panther, Striated Pony Guar, Wedding Dress, Stealthy Rogues Pack

CTdYAlB.jpg

Woodland Scouts Pack, Draugr Polymorph, Royal Court Jester, Tribal Shamans Pack

C6CJ3Bi.jpg

Armored Knights Pack, Black & Maroon Dress, ESO Plus Details

EmiHQZF.jpg

Looking forward to doing all Jester Dungeon runs :D

lazygecko

Being able to have something like a heavy armor costume over the actual medium/light armor you're wearing would be great. I don't like being shoehorned into certain armor types depending on if I use magic or stamina based skills.

I will absolutely be getting that Tesselated Guar. I have loved Guar ever since I got the pack guar in Morrowind. They are the best.

hepburn3d

Being able to have something like a heavy armor costume over the actual medium/light armor you're wearing would be great. I don't like being shoehorned into certain armor types depending on if I use magic or stamina based skills.

It will be nice when you have finally obtained your 7 piece all gold end game armor to still wear different styles.

I do think PvP will get a little ... strange. Sure there will be Bride Zerg groups running round :D

I will absolutely be getting that Tesselated Guar. I have loved Guar ever since I got the pack guar in Morrowind. They are the best.

Still waiting for the boar for my wood elf :(

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm actually excited about this game now. completely forgot it existed for a while cause i just assumed it was cancelled for consoles and even if it weren't i wouldn't be willing to pay a subscription.

Philippo

Guys i'll get it day 1 on console, but do you know where i can get a review or an update on how the whole game works, updated to the latest patch?

I mean:
-combat
-character progression
-questing
-factions
-raiding
-how's the tes world and lore transition to the online universe? is it well handled?

hepburn3d

Guys i'll get it day 1 on console, but do you know where i can get a review or an update on how the whole game works, updated to the latest patch?

I mean:
-combat
-character progression
-questing
-factions
-raiding
-how's the tes world and lore transition to the online universe? is it well handled?

I could do a twitch stream or Record some things to YouTube for non EU time zone peeps. Can give some written impressions but they'll all be tinted with my impression of it being great ;)

I mean:
-combat
-character progression
-questing
-factions
-raiding

The OP has several of these things explained.

Philippo

I could do a twitch stream or Record some things to YouTube for non EU time zone peeps. Can give some written impressions but they'll all be tinted with my impression of it being great ;)

That would do

The OP has several of these things explained.

Yeah but i was more curious on your opinions on them, like if the quests are grindy or well written, if it's easy do personalize your character and try very different builds, if the exploration is encouraged and the world is worth exploring and so on.

Also, i see that atm only Warriors and Mages Guilds are in, what about Thieves and Dark Brotherhood?

hepburn3d

Combat

The combat in this game is simple but involves good timing, observation, preparation and understanding. I use a controller and I find I press a button for each situation that can occur. I have gone through all the abilities and depending on what I'm going to do i.e. PvP, PvE, boss, mob, time trial; I'll slot all the abilities I think I'll need and usually don't change them once I start. The game is best played relaxed as it's not about rapid button pressing but more timing.

An example with my Nightblade Stamina Dual Wield DPS (PvE Mob): Sneak up to mob and find enemy looking the other way, do heavy attack, knocks him to the ground. All enemies turn round and are alerted so run towards me. I drop out of stealth use absorb power buffing my damage right up for a few seconds, I then use whirlwind where I start spinning and throwing daggers in all directions. The weak enemies go down but a heavy knight, a mage and a few archers remain. The knight goes to heavy attack me so I hold block, he's stunned as he hits me, I heavy attack him to the ground, use haste to speed my attacks up then do a few light attacks to get his health down, then use an assassins blade to finish him off. All the rest are ranged and still hitting me, my health is low so I pop a potion and I'm back in. I switch to bow and acid snipe the mage whilst strafing left to avoid the archers AoE's, fire attacks and special attacks. The mage goes down and I finish the archers off with a few snipes and light attacks.

Character progression (I'll assume leveling up)

When you start you can do basic light attacks, heavy attacks, block and stun. Within a few minutes you'll have unlocked your first skill point which will give you your first ability. Within about 30 minutes you'll probably have a 3/4 abilities. I've played a few times now and I always play different. You always feel like your leveling something and it's incredibly satisfying. Oh you discovered a new dungeon, have some exp, oh look you're level 10 now, have an ability point and some attr points, you can also wear that lvl 10 armor you just found now :p sorry but I find that fun. I've been playing since launch and have 1 character who's vet14, max'd out all crafting traits, finally found all the motif's in the game (took me so long), and am only now researching my 9th traits in Nirn so I can eventually craft Twice born Star armor sets (will take me at least another 3 months). With the champion system I think you get around 700 extra things to level up, needless to say character progression will go on for a very long time.
I play all the content and have always been above level. If you're not the kind person to rush through the game you'll always feel prepared for each mission.

Questing

Questing is awesome. Every mission feels unique. From killing a giant terrorizing the are, getting sucked into someone dreams and reliving their history, deciding to double cross a pirate and poison her drink and so on. It's brilliant. If you love listening to lore you'll love it. If you play skyrim by finding a mission then just running between quest markers you'll also love it because you can sneak through, fight mobs, take on the boss alone, it all feels solid.

Factions

Not much to say on this as I don't get that involved. If you mean the PvP factions they all feel very different. I don't play PvP much but I can't help but hold an allegiance to the Ebonheart Pact. There is a great sense of Faction pride when I play and it's been great to arrange private events. My wife and I had an in game Cyrodil wedding for EP guidies to attend. We found a church in the middle of no-where but we were betrayed. Half way through the ceremony about 20 Daggerfall scum popped out of stealth and attacked. For about 30 minutes we had a blood bath wedding. Was great fun.

Dungeons

Dungeon raiding is probably my most fun thing I do. I love group dungeons, when you all do you roles it's great. The low level dungeons feel really interesting and each boss can be approached differently. If you all die you're not punished horrifically and usually get it done the second time. The end game raids are haaard. You'll figure out the boss after a few deaths but co-ordination is absolute key. You'll discover the boss is a fire boss so your vampire in the group is screwed so need to dodge every AoE they see and the healer needs to look after them. Or the gigantic spider is going to release a poisonous cloud so the werewolf in the group needs not transform or he'll be down in seconds.
The final end game dungeons are brutal. There's the Dragon Star Arena which is 10 arenas of mobs and boss's. If you complete it, you can do it on Veteran difficulty :| the rewards are usually really good and if you don't need them will always sell well.

Lore

The lore transition has been handled amazingly. Everything fits in and even the dye system has been controlled in a way that people don't look ridiculous running round. It feels like elder scrolls and I've yet to find anything that doesn't make it feel grounded. There is lore everywhere and if you're a fan of reading you'll be playing this game for ages.

Anyone know of any good steam deals for this one? Been wanting to try it for a little while and since the game comes with 30 days I don't feel it's silly to try it now instead of waiting for it to go b2p. The cheapest I have found and in stock is steam itself at this point.

Thanks

Thanks a lot, that sure does sounds promising, and by being b2p i'm more than willing to try it. I'll just have to convince my friends too.

Btw by factions i meant the ones like Warriors/Mages/Thieves Guilds and Dark Brotherhood ;)

So far the have the Mage's Guild, the Fighter's Guild, and the Undaunted. I have no clue as to whether they will be adding the others, but I wouldn't be surprised.

lazygecko

So if I'm getting this right, it seems that with the implementation of the justice system NPCs in towns and cities are also going to start moving around with their own day/night schedules.

I'm not really sure what to think about that from a convenience standpoint.

BLunted

Banned
I am thinking about getting back in to this game, however I was wondering how it is for a PVE only player?

Are stamina builds viable at all? When I left, the game was nothing but Dragonknights and Sorcerers.

EDIT: Guess I'll find out. Just resubbed and downloading client now. Worst case scenario, if I dont like it, I am only out $15. Not like it's going to break the bank.

hepburn3d

I am thinking about getting back in to this game, however I was wondering how it is for a PVE only player?

Are stamina builds viable at all? When I left, the game was nothing but Dragonknights and Sorcerers.

EDIT: Guess I'll find out. Just resubbed and downloading client now. Worst case scenario, if I dont like it, I am only out $15. Not like it's going to break the bank.

I'm a PvE only player, my main is a stamina build and it's really good. I play Nightblade and it's good fun. Also Stamina NB builds are great DD's for end games runs, I see groups regularly advertising looking for one.

When did DPS become DD, only noticed it in this game?

I did drop into PvP at the weekend to get the Cyrodil Skyshards. Has anyone got the last 4? The ones hidden behind the enemy gates. These are the last 4 in the entire game that I need and I cant get through the damn gates. Apparently you have to wait until an enemy owns the keep near that gate it'll be open, even then you need to sprint through :| the completionist in me needs those shards :p

Edit:

Also how's everyone getting on with achievements? I'm about 75% now. The killers for me are the PvP ones as I don't really understand how to play PvP. I don't think i've ever killed another player. I'm never going to get the become emperor achievement :( The fishing ones are going to take a while, tip to new players, stash those worms. Then there's a few crafting ones: harvest 3000 materials, that's going to take a long time

BLunted

Banned
I'm a PvE only player, my main is a stamina build and it's really good. I play Nightblade and it's good fun. Also Stamina NB builds are great DD's for end games runs, I see groups regularly advertising looking for one.

When did DPS become DD, only noticed it in this game?

I did drop into PvP at the weekend to get the Cyrodil Skyshards. Has anyone got the last 4? The ones hidden behind the enemy gates. These are the last 4 in the entire game that I need and I cant get through the damn gates. Apparently you have to wait until an enemy owns the keep near that gate it'll be open, even then you need to sprint through :| the completionist in me needs those shards :p

Edit:

Also how's everyone getting on with achievements? I'm about 75% now. The killers for me are the PvP ones as I don't really understand how to play PvP. I don't think i've ever killed another player. I'm never going to get the become emperor achievement :( The fishing ones are going to take a while, tip to new players, stash those worms. Then there's a few crafting ones: harvest 3000 materials, that's going to take a long time

What are DD's? Damage dealers?

Top Bottom