• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

ironcreed

Banned
been a long time here we go

F9sb.png

G9sb.png

I9sb.png

J9sb.png

Looks amazing. Can't wait to play this on PS4.

gblues

Banned
I got a free weekend invite too.

What I'm playing now is a million times better than when I played in the beta. Plus they e-mailed me a code for 25% off anything in the TES:O online store (including the base game), so I'm seriously considering buying in.

BizzyBum

Eh, I'm starting to get turned off by Zenimax's handling of the Crown Store already.

Having certain items "available for a limited time" on a cash shop is just a shady and scummy thing to do to the player base. People who are completionists will have to pony up 2,500 Crowns for an item available for a week or else they can never attain it again, which I am sure is Zenimax's entire intent behind doing so, but of course they would never say that.

And now we're entering gameplay shortcuts with potions, soul gems, repair kits, motifs, and the Pledge of Mara. Like I said in the past, if the Crown Store was 100% cosmetic items only, I really wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's clear Zenimax is slowly putting things on the Crown Store that go beyond that and they'll keep doing it and see how far they can take it.

Down the line I wouldn't be surprised at all if instant level 50's, crafting mats, weapons, armor, etc. make it into the Crown Store.

ironcreed

Banned
Eh, I'm starting to get turned off by Zenimax's handling of the Crown Store already.

Having certain items "available for a limited time" on a cash shop is just a shady and scummy thing to do to the player base. People who are completionists will have to pony up 2,500 Crowns for an item available for a week or else they can never attain it again, which I am sure is Zenimax's entire intent behind doing so, but of course they would never say that.

And now we're entering gameplay shortcuts with potions, soul gems, repair kits, motifs, and the Pledge of Mara. Like I said in the past, if the Crown Store was 100% cosmetic items only, I really wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's clear Zenimax is slowly putting things on the Crown Store that go beyond that and they'll keep doing it and see how far they can take it.

Down the line I wouldn't be surprised at all if instant level 50's, crafting mats, weapons, armor, etc. make it into the Crown Store.

How hard to come by are potions, repair kits and the like just by just by playing the game?

lazygecko

Repair kits you can either purchase from vendors or get from doing daily crafting quests. Potions you'll get plenty of from just killing stuff in the world, though the best quality potions are crafted by alchemists.

Repair kits you can either purchase from vendors or get from doing daily crafting quests. Potions you'll get plenty of from just killing stuff in the world, though the best quality potions are crafted by alchemists.

The bought ones aren't nearly as good as ones you craft yourself.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How come health/magicka/stamina values have inflated so much since beta? I know it's all relative, but that seems like a weird thing to have thousands of health at low levels.

hepburn3d

How come health/magicka/stamina values have inflated so much since beta? I know it's all relative, but that seems like a weird thing to have thousands of health at low levels.

They were inflated in 1.6 due to the champion system providing minor improvements to characters that would be to small to see in the old scale. Now 0.6 dps increase looks like a 106 dps increase ;) giving more progress satisfaction.

How hard to come by are potions, repair kits and the like just by just by playing the game?

Repair kits are plenty if you do daily writs. Potions are plenty easy to find to if you do dungeons and bosses to.

Been away from this game for a week or so now thanks to GTA but will still be playing it. It's addictive :)

gossi

It annoyed me they kept spamming out, in game, to buy the items. This weekend they sent out 3 messages, in 3 languages, that it was "National Pet Day" and to buy the lion from the store. Felt super cheap.

BizzyBum

It annoyed me they kept spamming out, in game, to buy the items. This weekend they sent out 3 messages, in 3 languages, that it was "National Pet Day" and to buy the lion from the store. Felt super cheap.

Wow, are you serious? What a joke...

gossi

Wow, are you serious? What a joke...

Absolutely serious, I love this game and have 488 hours just for my main character, but this is the kind of thing they kept sending out (this one to all North American customers, begging them to buy a tiger in game (in german!)):

Ut43GPK.jpg

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm kind of an elder scrolls fan. I loved the hell out of Morrowind, played it for countless hours. Played Oblivion some but not nearly as much as Morrowind. Skyrim I think I've played maybe 5 hours of, I had no complaints really but got sidetracked and just never came back to it. I've never played ESO despite having been selected for the beta and totally ignoring this recent free weekend event. I have a friend that keeps ranting and raving about how awesome the game is now and how all my old guildmates from another game are now playing together so I'm tempted. All the buzz I heard when ESO first released was mostly negative so I'm extremely hesitant. I'm also hearing that this new update that's taken ESO from subscription based has also made the game heaps better somehow, but I'm sorely lacking in any details. Can anyone with actual game experience chime in on the overall progression of the game so far. Was ESO actually crappy to start or is that the usual gamer nerd elitist garbage? If so, has this recent patch made things somehow inherently better in every way? I really have nothing to go off of here, so looking for information and impressions I guess.

Somnia

I'm kind of an elder scrolls fan. I loved the hell out of Morrowind, played it for countless hours. Played Oblivion some but not nearly as much as Morrowind. Skyrim I think I've played maybe 5 hours of, I had no complaints really but got sidetracked and just never came back to it. I've never played ESO despite having been selected for the beta and totally ignoring this recent free weekend event. I have a friend that keeps ranting and raving about how awesome the game is now and how all my old guildmates from another game are now playing together so I'm tempted. All the buzz I heard when ESO first released was mostly negative so I'm extremely hesitant. I'm also hearing that this new update that's taken ESO from subscription based has also made the game heaps better somehow, but I'm sorely lacking in any details. Can anyone with actual game experience chime in on the overall progression of the game so far. Was ESO actually crappy to start or is that the usual gamer nerd elitist garbage? If so, has this recent patch made things somehow inherently better in every way? I really have nothing to go off of here, so looking for information and impressions I guess.

It had a lot of issues at the start, but it wasn't garbage like some people said. They have fixed the game a LOT and it has come a long way. Some of my friends participated in the free weekend and were highly impressed and they hated it at launch. The game has a TON of content, just not the crazy end game content like other MMO's. It does have that with the Arena, Vet Dungeons and Trials, but it's not your typical end game raiding like other MMO's and it's PVP is very very well done.

They have another high end zone in the works plus the Imperial City which will be like Dark Age of Camelot's Darkness Falls within the PVP region. Those two will more than likely be the first "dlc" sometime later this year.

I've pretty much retired from the PC version and just waiting for it to hit XB1 in June. It's the kind of MMO I just want to jump in and explore, do dungeons, etc. and play casually. I am a pretty hardcore MMO player and I'm just not looking for that hardcore experience right now due to real life (got to love getting older). This is the perfect game for console and jumping on for a few hours at night to dungeon runs, pvp, explore, etc. with fellow GAFFERs and friends.

gossi

Just to back up the above post - I think it's a great casual MMO. If you're into endgame endgame endgame skip-all-the-quest-dialogue and make spreadsheets for TEH NUMBER ONE BUILD EVAHHH, this is not the game for you. You will get bored and frustrated by the systems. If you enjoy Elder Scrolls lore and love exploring, it's a great (and very large) game.

gossi

Installing XB1 beta now. 54gb download. EU megaserver. PM me if you want to play together tomorrow night or through weekend.

Spades

So gutted I didn't get a beta code. :(

If anyone isn't going to use their Xbox One code (or PS4), I'd really appreciate it.

Leatherface

So I've been playing this since Friday. Jumped in the free weekend and bought the game right after it ended. I'm not sure if I made a mistake or not. So far this is the most generic MMO I've ever played. It's not that it's terrible, but it's not doing anything particularly fresh or exciting either. It's really just the same tired shit with a different name. Anyway, I know I'm just barely scratching the surface so far but I can see why this may have been such a turn off to so many at launch. I'm going to push on for now but I hope it gets a LOT better. :'(

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just discovered today that the dungeons in this game level scale UP to the level of the party leader! This is super exciting to me since Final Fantasy 14 scales the entire party down to the level of the dungeon and Guild Wars 2 scales your level down, even outside of dungeons. This mandatory level syncing is a feature that annoys the hell out of me.

Also this game's rare/random loot drops are super refreshing coming off of FF14 where all loot in the game came off a strict, predefined boss loot table. I'm running older dungeons in ESO and getting unexpected and useful gear drops. This game is such a panacea after playing WoW clones for 5 months. Really impressed so far.

Calcium

Banned
I took them up on their offer of a $20 console version. I only stopped playing when it released because of all the bugged quests so I assume most of that has been fixed and I'll enjoy my time in ESO again. It's going to be my first MMO on a console, kind of excited to get started.

Somnia

Absolutely serious, I love this game and have 488 hours just for my main character, but this is the kind of thing they kept sending out (this one to all North American customers, begging them to buy a tiger in game (in german!)):

Ut43GPK.jpg

BTW you have been heard (from another thread I posted in)

Also for those of you who were upset over the in game messaging of the cash store, dev's said they heard loud and clear and will no longer be doing in game advertisements like they did over the free weekend.

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/33l954/news_system_message_advertisements_being_stopped/

Tabby

Just started to get into this game and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know?
I'm still only level 6 right now, should I just not worry about crafting until I'm a bit higher level and stick to the gear I find out in the wild?

BizzyBum

Just started to get into this game and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know?
I'm still only level 6 right now, should I just not worry about crafting until I'm a bit higher level and stick to the gear I find out in the wild?

Yeah, you're better off just wearing what you loot. You're going to loot a ton of clothing and armor as well as acquire them by completing quests so anything extra or old just use to research and deconstruct for the crafting XP, never sell for gold.

Tabby

Yeah, you're better off just wearing what you loot. You're going to loot a ton of clothing and armor as well as acquire them by completing quests so anything extra or old just use to research and deconstruct for the crafting XP, never sell for gold.

I know how to decontruct but how do I use them for research?

Dimorphic

So I am not an MMO guy but I am a HUGE Elder Scrolls guy. I am thinking of giving this a go on the XB1. Is it a game that I can play by myself and only dabble in the MMO features or will I be missing out on too much by playing this way?

hepburn3d

So I am not an MMO guy but I am a HUGE Elder Scrolls guy. I am thinking of giving this a go on the XB1. Is it a game that I can play by myself and only dabble in the MMO features or will I be missing out on too much by playing this way?

You can play this game by yourself. Depending on your play style it's easier and harder with the different classes. If you play through the main maps the only bits you will miss are the group dungeons and you may struggle in the large public dungeons. When you get to this places though they are usually well populated and you can just follow along with some other people who are also probably playing by themselves. It's only at end game ie craglorn; that you are kind of forced to group up and even then if you know how you can solo lower craglorn. I got this cos I was a skyrim fan and I really like it :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
gaf basically turned there face up at this game because they have a huge hard on for skyrim which for some reason completey bored the fuck out of me

Sblargh

Banned
Well, I mean, I'm just been playing for a month, maybe less, but apparently the game was actually very bad at launch? I just think the legion of people who got it then, should just give it a try now. I know I'm absolutely loving it. I honestly did not expected to like it this much.

Well, I mean, I'm just been playing for a month, maybe less, but apparently the game was actually very bad at launch? I just think the legion of people who got it then, should just give it a try now. I know I'm absolutely loving it. I honestly did not expected to like it this much.
It wasn't that awful, just really buggy. I was one of the ESO defenders at launch and the game was a blast then too. There just was a shitton of bugs and many gamebreaking ones in the final zone. Then you hit the VR endgame and that's a gigantic buzzkill for your standard MMO player.

The typical bullshit hatred the game got was pretty much bullshit:

It has a sub? Gross.
We never asked for a Elder Scrolls MMO!
You have to PAY FOR A HORSE?!
The combat is awfully sluggish.
Typical theme park MMO.

The last one is the most plausible to me, but this game is the least themeparky of theme parks. The game greatly rewards, and encourages, exploration. I agree it overpenalizes too much exploration (going to another zone too soon may make it too tough), but each zone is filled with so much shit to see and do that I don't know why you wouldn't explore it completely.

At the end of the day it's a MMO and the only one of those GAF likes is FFXIV. Even WoW gets shit these days.

lazygecko

The narrative for the attitude towards this game was firmly established right when it was announced. People who start playing or watching the game just turn their experience into one big series of confirmation biases.

Sblargh

Banned
It wasn't that awful, just really buggy. I was one of the ESO defenders at launch and the game was a blast then too. There just was a shitton of bugs and many gamebreaking ones in the final zone. Then you hit the VR endgame and that's a gigantic buzzkill for your standard MMO player.

The typical bullshit hatred the game got was pretty much bullshit:

It has a sub? Gross.
We never asked for a Elder Scrolls MMO!
You have to PAY FOR A HORSE?!
The combat is awfully sluggish.
Typical theme park MMO.

The last one is the most plausible to me, but this game is the least themeparky of theme parks. The game greatly rewards, and encourages, exploration. I agree it overpenalizes too much exploration (going to another zone too soon may make it too tough), but each zone is filled with so much shit to see and do that I don't know why you wouldn't explore it completely.

At the end of the day it's a MMO and the only one of those GAF likes is FFXIV. Even WoW gets shit these days.

Oh man, that's so true. Out of every MMO I've played (wasn't that incredibly many, but anyways), this feel the closer to me in terms of that legendary "evequest feel" of finding new and exciting places and a world feeling like a world instead a system of hubs. When I get to a new zone again, I'll screenshot the map with destinations turned on (an addon that shows you everything on the map); it's like a sea of red Xs, each one of them something interesting.

Anyone can invite to the current GAF NA guild. At least the one I have guildmaster on. I'll need to give it to someone here since I don't play it.

I never saw more than 3 gaffers online at the same time. There are 100 people on the guild, almost everyone inactive.

KePoW

Banned

it was good at launch, nothing really wrong with it

just GAF has anti-MMO stance

LiQuid!

Been playing around on my first alt who is a member of the Ebonheart Pact and it's blowing my mind how bad the first two cities are there compared to Daggerfall. Devon's Watch = no dye station, wayshrine is outside the city, making it a long run to bank and crafting stations. Ebonheart, capitol of the faction and no bank? Really hope there is a better city later on I can use as a hub.

hepburn3d

Who is the NA GAF guild leader now? I'll update the OP if it needs changing. As I'm not in the loop on NA guild I don't know if you have more than one.

Edit:

Also any suggestions on things I could add to the OP to help new comers? I can pull all the pics and content together, it's knowing what too show and what not to show. Like crafting can get quite deep :)

Ricker

pc got controller support yet? i can't use kb/m (surgery)

No but they say its coming...they been saying that since last year though,guess they are waiting to see how many people will use the 20 dollar transfer to console,wait for the release on console in June and patch it after...just guessing though ;)

Top Bottom