• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

Sblargh

Banned
Who is the NA GAF guild leader now? I'll update the OP if it needs changing. As I'm not in the loop on NA guild I don't know if you have more than one.

Edit:

Also any suggestions on things I could add to the OP to help new comers? I can pull all the pics and content together, it's knowing what too show and what not to show. Like crafting can get quite deep :)

I'll try to cook up some guides.

Sblargh

Banned
I'll try to make a post about addons, or that was the plan, but I have so many addons installed (over 40 I think), that I think I'll use this as an opportunity for overall tips and tricks I've picked up.

First of all. There are two softwares to install and manage addons on ESO.
One of them is curse, that is pretty well known to users of a bunch of games: http://www.curse.com/teso-addons/teso/downloads
BUT the one that have the most support by the modding community is a less known one called Minion.

I guess both softwares do the same thing, but Minion is usually updated more often as modders prefer it.

Now I'll go on through the addons by category and take that as an opportunity to offer some tips for the game. Of course, that are a lot of addons that people love that I don't use. The ones below are just a personal recommendation.

The first addon is listed first for a reason: it allows you to overdose on addons and not worry about it:

Shissu's LUA Memory manages, for you (or allow you to manage for yourself through the in-game settings) how much RAM is allocated to your addons. Without it, you'll be getting errors memories pretty fast as the native memory allocations for addons is pretty small.

Social Indicators is a neat little addon that lets you see when a player is on one of your guilds when you see them in the world.
You can be at 5 guilds at once on ESO. Guilds have no barriers in relation to faction, but they do have a limit of 500 people on them. So it's possible to have a few thousand guild members out there and this addon allows you to spot them quickly.

Harven's Extended Stats vastly increase the information on the character screen to show, well, extended stats.

pvw1019.jpg

Stats on ESO are all based off the three main ones: Health / Stamina / Magicka.

Stamina increases not only your stamina (which allows you to sprint, roll dodge and use skills) as it also increases all weapon damage. The same goes for Magicka and spell damage.

So when you're building a character, it's usually recommended to specialize in either magicka or stamina (with health sprinkled as you feel necessary) as they influence how much damage you do.

Roleplay addons usually work the opposite of the other addons as they make the minimalistic ESO UI even more minimalistic. The only one I use, tho, is SimpleHelmetToggle that, as the name suggests, add a keybind that lets you toggle the visual of the helmet (and the visual only, not the actual equipment) on and off.
I quite like to do that silly thing where I don't wear a helmet while in the city, but I do while exploring.

Harven's Improved Skill Windows adds bits of info to the skills tab that actually helps a lot. Every time one of your skills reach lvl 5, it can be morphed into one thing or the other, allowing more flexibility when building a character (a common trend with morphs is for magicka-based skills to be morphed into stamina-based skills). This addon lets you see what a skill will look like the next level and the possible morph paths without needing a skill point so you can plan it all better.

Advanced filters is one of those addons on the classic Elder Scroll tradition of "why isn't this a regular feature?". It simply adds tabs, sub-tabs and a search bar for your inventory. As inventory on ESO can get quite full of stuff, the notion of playing without this addon seems like an invitation to headache.

Inventory on ESO is a thing on its own, by the way. Inventory space will be your first cash sink as a new player and it will eat all your early cash.
You also have a bank, which is shared with all your characters, which allow for some characters to be specialized on crafting (as you can send the materials you find exploring to them) or simply mules (alt characters who do nothing but be living inventory space) who can carry, for example, the almost 60 different kinds of provisioning (cooking) materials.

Upgrading banking space gets so expensive so fast that with the money you spend with it, you can probably buy very good endgame gear from fellow players (it's something like 520K gold total to upgrade it fully to its 250 slots glory). While making a lot of mules is the most economic choice, I really dislike the logging in and out of this process. Therefore, I'm always poor because the bank upgrade eats all my golds.

Sous Chef is another way to deal with inventory as it allows you to mark some provisionin recipes as favorites and then proceed to allow you to loot only the ingredients you use on these specific recipes. There's over 250 recipes on the game (tho there's a bunch of redundancy among them), so the bookmarking favorite feature alone is a godsend.

Food is separated into two categories: food and drink. They don't stack, tho devs said they are going to change that eventually. The buff provided by food last from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the quality of the recipe.

Food buffs are flat increases to health and/or magicka and/or stamina (again, depending on the recipe) and drink buffs are increases to regen. So you have to choose if you value more having a larger pool of health/magicks/stamina or a quicker regen. Which is better is a debate that rages on.

Lootdrop, Continued (all in one) is, as the name suggests, the compilation of a bunch of other mods. ESO have a very cool auto-loot feature that lets you just click everything in the world and figure out what kind of unholy trash you're carrying later, after the action is done. This mod adds little indicators on the lower right corner of the screen that shows you what you are looting, so now looting is fast and informative.
It also shows you XP and gold gains. It is a lot less intrusive than it sounds, which I approve a lot.

Lost Treasure makes finding the actual treasures possible.
There are two kinds of treasure maps on ESO: one is a rare drop on the world and they come with an obscure drawing that leads you to a treasure (you can only loot the treasure while you have the map and the map is, of course, consumed as soon as you grab your goods).
The other kind are the crafting surveys. Each of the 6 crafting skills on the game have daily quests associated to them ("make 5 daggers" or "cook a baked potato" and so on), sometimes, the reward to those are maps that point to a rich source of crafting materials, while those maps aren't as obscure as the treasure maps, the addon still makes it a more streamlined experience (as doing all the crafting quests daily will usually net you at least one survey and no one likes to get lost while looking for the stuffs). The crafting surveys work the same as the treasure map. The enhanced nodes are there only while you hold the map and the map disappears as soon as you collect them.

LoreBooks, as the name suggests, show you the location of all lore books on the game. Finding lore books increase your mage guild level, which open up more skills and passives. Also, as it is usual on Elder Scrolls, they're fairly well written. Not every piece of paper you find on the game is a lore book, either. The ones that the mage's guild collect have a blue glow to them.

Crafting Stations mark the crafting stations on your map (and adds a very useful tooltip so you can see what set you can build on each of them)
-
Oh boy, here we go, crafting:

Each major city has a vanilla crafting station: it allows you to craft equipment as usual and all is good and well.

But then, there are special crafting stations around the world (each faction have the same crafting stations, so you don't need to have the entire map opened up to have access to them). Those special crafting stations allows you to crate gear in specific sets (i.e., gear that gives you bonus for wearing 2 or more items of the same set). Sets can be crafted with any material (a craft that gives bonus to sneaking can be made in heavy armor with no problem or restriction) and any level. They do require you to have traits researched, tho.

Research is the biggest choke point of crafting on the game.
Traits are stuff like weighted (that increases weapon speed) or reinforced (that increases an armor base value). To be able to craft an item with a trait, you need to, first, research that kind of item with that trait (so you need to specifically research a sword with weighted so you can make weighted swords. If you want a weighted axe, that's a different research).

Researching a trait requires you to sacrifice the piece of gear you are researching with that trait, that is easy enough as the game is very generous with loot, the catch is that with each trait you research, the next one takes longer. So when you start researching a piece of gear, it takes 4 hours for it to research. By the time you researching the 6th trait, it takes something like 15 days. The last (8th) trait, whatever it is, takes a full month to research (and that, after having spent skill points that decrease research time).

You can only research one type of gear at a time (one blacksmithing gear, one clothing gear and one woodworking gear); passives on the crafting skill line allow you to increase that number to 3. Even with those passives, researching all traits on all gear will take something like 4 months.

Each piece of gear can be crafted with only one trait, but those special gear sets require, nonetheless, you to have a number of traits researched. So one gear set may require you to have 2 traits researched for each of the pieces you want to craft. The most powerful ones, of course, will demand 7 or 8 traits researched. People who can craft those can usually charge anything they want for this kind of gear because they can do something you can't and that's capitalism, yo.
-
Ok, I'll take a breath and continue this horribly written guide a bit later.

Sblargh

Banned
I'll have to say, tho, that while research time can be a bit frustrating, this is the most I have enjoyed crafting in a while. While it requires you a lot of time, to research something is basically to sacrifice a very common gear and forget about it until it's done. There is no grinding required for crafting on this game. Raw material is everywhere and it's just rare enough so that sell it to other players is good source of income if you're just questing around not worrying about crafting. And if you do need the materials, they're also not very expensive to buy from other players.

Also, the gear sets that require lots of researched traits are nice and all, but no one will ever require you to have them in order to join a group unless you're trying to do something like endgame achievements where you have to complete an entire dungeon (and kill all optional bosses) under 30 minutes or something.

Materials also comes from deconstructing gear, so while ESO throws a lot of loot on your face, almost all of it feels useful, because even if they're useless as actual equipment, they are very often a source of something that can be sold to other players.
-
PublicDungeonChampions marks all of the public dungeon bosses on your map. A public dungeon is a larger and more dangerous dungeon than the regular delves while not actually requiring a trinity group (or even a group at all if you're feeling OP) to explore. They're also not instances, so random people go in and out of them at all times while you're inside.
Each zone has (sadly, only) one of those and entering them alone only to organically group with other lonely people inside is one of the great feels of ESO.
Public dungeons usually have 2 quests inside them, they also have 1 big boss (not related to the quests) that net you a free skill point for killing them. They also have 7 or 8 other optional bosses. Those optional bosses are often tied to the quests, tho there 's always at least 3 that are absolutely optional.
Soloing them is a pain on your Khajiit tail even when you overlevel them by quite a bit and the reward is "only" nice gear; but also each public dungeon have 3 achievements tied to them: defeating the big boss; defeating any 3 bosses and, lastly, defeating all bosses.
I got the addon as I like chasing that achievement because I just love them public dungeons. The coldharbour one in particular is like, man, if level design had awards, I would totally vote for that dungeon. It's just huge and dangerous and since there are a lot of floating plataforms and stuff, you often "get lost" from your not-formally-grouped friends and finding them later on while chasing another boss is a great feeling. Or,you know, not finding them at all and imagining that they had horrible deaths because you deided to jump down while they decided to go up.

Luminary Teleporter - V3 feels almost like cheating as it guarantees you never have to pay fast-travel costs again.
On ESO you can fast-travel for free between wayshrines (once you discovered them), but to travel to a wayshrine from out of nowhere costs a bit of gold.
What Luminary Teleporter does is create a nice list with all your guild members and friends, as well as their location, so you can easily search for someone who is on the same zone you want to go and use the "teleport to friend" feature. The person won't even know you are using them to save teleporting costs.

Skyshards, as the name implies, show all the skyshards on the map. Each 3 skyshards is a skill point.

And finally, but the most useful, Destinations add pins on your map for everything! Quest guivers, quest hubs, M'aiq the liar locations, fishing spots, interesting locations, random people asking for help to light campfires, anchors from Molag Bal trying to destroy the world; anyway, if it is on the map, destinations can show you, all in an easily configurable filter that lets you turn on and off whatever pin you want.

Wykkyd's Gaming Suit is actually a compilationf of 10 or 12 different addons from this guy Wykkyd. They range from configuration relating to how much of the UI you want to disappear while outside the battle, to a small toolbar that can show you lots of little information, like inventory space, soul gems, gold, the time, time left for your next research to complete and a bunch of other stuff.

He is also generally very good at making those things small and not intrusive; tho I turn off the ones that are just walls of text and checklists (like quest and achievement tracker).

Azurah - Interface Enhanced simply add %s to everything (health bar, XP bar, so on). There are mods that add more information, but I use this one because it is a simple addition. One of the most popular interface mods is called Foundry Tactical Combat; as it shows a lot of data about... combat stuff. But too much numbers on the screen for me, so I do not use it. Azurah is just a lot more clean and simple, imo.
-
Potion Maker is an amazing addon if you plan on being an alchemist as the game follows the elder scroll formula of having something like 20 different reagents, each of them with 4 traits, which them can be combined with other reagents to form the potions making a total of... jeez, I don't even know, way too many potions. High level alchemy is a very good source of income as people who PvP go through potions like crazy. (and when you can craft using 3 reagents, you can make crazy stuff, like potions that, at the same time, heal HP, restore magicka and increase spell damage).
Anyway, the mod lets you bookmark your favorite potions and when you use the alchemy crafting station, it automatically checks what is in your inventory and shows you only what a) is bookmarked and b) what you can actually craft right now. Super useful.

Research Assistant is another very useful addon, but it can overcrowd your already limited inventory space. It simply marks on each piece of gear if you already have the trait researched or not so you can choose wheter to keep, sell or deconstruct the gear. It is also configurable so you determine one of your characters as the main crafter one, this way, when your non-crafter character gets a weapon, it shows you if your crafter knows the trait already or not, letting you decide this stuff without switching characters. Pretty useful, but then, it can lead you to hoard stuff you won't be researching for the next 20 days.

Krill Crafting Post-It is actually a surprisingly good time saver. When you get to a craft station, it checks if you have a crafting quest related to that station and places what it is on a post-it somewhere on the screen. This way you know when you have to make 5 daggers, 2 greaves and 1 helmet without having to memorize it or keep switching between the journal and the crafting windows. It's just a very nice quality of life addon to have if you intend on doing the crafting quests.

Harven's Chat Completion is very cool because ESO has over a 100 different emotes. With this addon you can /d and see amazing stuff like /dancedrunk or discover that, regardless of your character's race he can dance like whatever just doing stuff like /dancealtmer or /dancekhajiit or, if you are a male, /danceredguard to make everyone uncomfortable.

Harven's Trait and Style just add to the gear tool tip what the style of the gear is (i.e., what race its appearance is native from) and what trait it has.

And last, but amazingly,incredibly, ultra useful:
Master Merchant and it's brother AwesomeGuildStore are essential if you want to be a trader on this game.

Master Merchant grabs all the prices of all the sells on all the guilds you are in and make averages out of them so you can have a grasp on what are the market prices for everything. Debates rage on about if it is a clutch or a tool, but regardless, I don't know how the hell I would figure out what price I should sell a stack of 200 bananas without this addon. It also shows you, when you are browsing guild stores to buy stuff, what is (based on the averages) too cheap or too expensive. And since ESO lacks an universal Auction House, Master Merchant helps you travel to isolated guild stores, search for when some noob savy busisness person is selling something way below market price so you can buy it and then sell it at your own guild store at a more regular price.

AwesomeGuildStore is like the inventory filter addon, but for the guild store, it is good because it is 100% integrated with Master Merchant, so it actually adds filters to let you search more easily for stuff based, too, on their range price. So sometimes I go to a guild store and just search for recipes I don't yet know that are at least slightly below average price. Just so I can buy a bunch of cheap low level recipes for no reason other than to have a more complete cookbook.
-

And that's it. I realize the post is confusing as fuck, but I hope I there are enough cool tips there. :)

Sblargh

Banned
And since I'm monopolizing the page. Patch notes:

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS
Alliance War
General
Anyone that currently has a campaign will be receiving a free home campaign reassignment.

Art & Animation
Effects
Fixed an issue where monsters spawned from Dark Anchors would not display the proper effects.

Combat & Gameplay
General
Fixed an issue where Fear effects were causing you to fall through the world.
Animations will now play properly when you are forced to dismount.
You will now have the correct animation when you immediately attempt to remount after being forcibly dismounted.
You will no longer be dismounted when trying to mount shortly after sneaking.
Fixed an issue where combat pets would go idle after being hit by an AoE attack, and not respond to any attack or recall commands.
Fixed an issue where you could get stuck in a state where you were moving faster than intended.

Dungeons & Group Content
Veteran Dungeons
Veteran Crypt of Hearts
Mezeluth's Fire Runes will no longer damage player characters that are being levitated by her Fulminating Void ability.

Exploration & Itemization
General
Significantly increased the number of lootable Dwemer containers in a number of locations. All Dwemer locations will now contain an approximately proportional number of containers for their overall size.
Increased Inner Sea Armature containers by 50%
Increased Santaki containers by approximately 50%
Increased Razak's Wheel containers by approximately 125%
Increased Lower Bthanual containers by approximately 300%
Increased Yldzuun containers by approximately 400%

Miscellaneous
General
Fixed a commonly-occurring issue after Update 6 was released, specifically affecting Windows 8, where your game could crash.

UI
General
Fixed an issue where you could not re-enter reticle mode after using “Buy Multiple” at a vendor.

The dwemer ruins changes in particular is very good because some of the most expensive items on the game are found on those. I guess people were grinding too much of the same 2; so last week they nerfed those 2 and now they buffed everything else.

Edit: two links that help a lot with crafting: One so you can learn more about potions and another so you can navigate through the obscure enchanting system.
The alchemy link I used to bookmark all the better potions and then forgot about it. The enchanting link I keep it open at all times, tho, as it is horrible to do the enchanting daillies without this list.

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/
http://tamrieljournal.com/list-of-useful-potions-and-alchemy-reagents-in-eso/

Edit 2: Another cool site since you can't really preview what gear looks like without crafting it (tho the icons are somewhat reliable representations)

http://eso-fashion.com/

Sblargh

Banned
Oh, last post, I promise. Just showing off the various addons.

That last pic. The red square means I don't have the trait of that equipment researched; the grey square means I do and there's yet a yellow square meaning I don't have the trait reseached, but I have a lower value weapon with the same trait (meaning I can sacrifice that to the trait gods and keep the yellow one).

There's also a little icon for ornate gear (vendors pay more for it, so it's usually better to vendor ornate gear rather then deconstruct) and intricate, which gives more XP when deconstructing. Those 2 traits can't be researched.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I didn't use add ons for about a week but now that I've got a handful of them there are some that I absolutely could not live without. They provide so many quality of life improvements that seem silly not to have in the vanilla game, like the ability to keymap a toggle to show/hide your helmet for one simple example.

BizzyBum

I didn't use add ons for about a week but now that I've got a handful of them there are some that I absolutely could not live without. They provide so many quality of life improvements that seem silly not to have in the vanilla game, like the ability to keymap a toggle to show/hide your helmet for one simple example.

Can you post which ones you use?

I tried using the map add-on and it's definitely helpful but I'd rather have a simple and clean UI similar to an actual TES game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Can you post which ones you use?

I tried using the map add-on and it's definitely helpful but I'd rather have a simple and clean UI similar to an actual TES game.

I just got Minion and went down the list and picked up every one that seemed helpful. A lot of the ones I use are the ones that are regarded as the most helpful. The only ones I use that add to the UI are the mini map and Wykkyd's quest tracker and toolbar. I didn't get the combat add on cause I think it's ugly.

The quality of life ones I can't live without are:
Advanced Filters - this should just be in the game. It's absurd that it's not
Bank Manager Revived - helpful for managing banking mules because I hoard
Research Assistant - super convenient to see if you need a trait or not
Simple Helmet Toggle
Wykkyd's Outfitter - I don't even PVP yet, but this is a feature that FF14 had that I love, just being able to swap outfits helps me for leveling skills

And then the ones I use that are basically like cheats and show stuff on the map so you don't have to go look for it:
Lorebooks
Skyshards
Destinations
Harvestmap

Those are just convenience for me because I'm OCD and I gotta catch em all.

There are a few more I use that are inconsequential/preference based, but those top 5 I think everybody who plays this game should install.

hepburn3d

Wow Sblargh amazing write up. I'll link your post in the OP as I think it's a useful write up.

I use Skyshards, Lorebooks, Advanced Filters, Mail Delete and recently FTC for the end game stuff. It useful seeing your ultimate % on your main bar with say Dawnbreaker so you can switch to the second bar to drop a more powerful ultimate when it's at 200%. Those precious few seconds really help in Trials.

Edit: Dawn breaker, not Dawn hammer :/

Sblargh

Banned
Wow Sblargh amazing write up. I'll link your post in the OP as I think it's a useful write up.

I use Skyshards, Lorebooks, Advanced Filters, Mail Delete and recently FTC for the end game stuff. It useful seeing your ultimate % on your main bar with say Dawnhammer so you can switch to the second bar to drop a more powerful ultimate when it's at 200%. Those precious few seconds really help in Trials.

Oh, that' actually smart. I hadn't thought of that. Having Dawnhammer on one bar for the buff and the actual ultimate on another.

hepburn3d

Oh, that' actually smart. I hadn't thought of that. Having Dawnhammer on one bar for the buff and the actual ultimate on another.

Yea it works well. I try to push my weapon damage as far as possible with my NB. Would be cool not to have to and get to use 2 different specials but I just change the 2nd one depending on the dungeon / trial.

Doing a similar thing with my Tank build now to, have werewolf on bar 1 for the ulti gain but switch to second bar for Acid Armour / Dragonknight Standard

Cob32

Does this game have a good player to player trading economy? Auction house type thing?

Reason I ask is because I plan on buying the console version which has no text chat box (it's all voice chat). Will I have to run around town shouting down my mic what I want to buy/sell?

Sblargh

Banned
Yea it works well. I try to push my weapon damage as far as possible with my NB. Would be cool not to have to and get to use 2 different specials but I just change the 2nd one depending on the dungeon / trial.

Doing a similar thing with my Tank build now to, have werewolf on bar 1 for the ulti gain but switch to second bar for Acid Armour / Dragonknight Standard

I'm actually having a problem finding a NB ult. I really like. I solo with dual wield, so that AoE thingie that leeches health is very good, but then I like to do group dungeons with the bow and there's no ultimate afaik that has good damage from a distance. Maybe the mage's guild one when I get that to lvl 10?

Does this game have a good player to player trading economy? Auction house type thing?

Reason I ask is because I plan on buying the console version which has no text chat box (it's all voice chat). Will I have to run around town shouting down my mic what I want to buy/sell?

I'm glad you asked. I actually love the economy on this game, lol.

There is no universal auction house. This is how it works.
You can join up to 5 guilds. Each guild has their own semi-private auction house (which you can list a maximum of 30 items per guild).
When you join a guild, you can access their guild store, for buying or selling, from any bank on the world.
When you are not on a guild, however, you can only buy from them by finding their guild store, which is on a specific location. Locations are limited, so guilds participate on weekly biddings for them (that's a whole game right there, bidding on the prime spots and stuff).

This creates a very dynamic economy because market prices fluctuate between guilds.

It's like, they decided to sacrifice the convenience of a single auction house for the feeling that there is an actual market in the world, with prices that change based on location not due to a dev mandate, but because players on more popular areas tend to take advantage of that to charge more for their goods. So the result is a nice player driven economy. Coupled with the fact that there is some market for almost anything in the game, makes buying and selling a lot less mechanical than usually is. You have to plan a bit where you are listing an item, if the guild you're selling that has a physical store, if it does, what level of people usually go through that area, and so on.

The market in this game is really a little game on itself.

One cool example is actually the noob areas. So, the noob area usually cater to your average lvl5-15 lowbie; but, when one faction finishes the storyline, it opens another faction's map to them, meaning that one faction's noob area is actually another faction's lvl 50. Also, when you finish this second area, you open up a third, so for the 3rd faction, your noob area ia actually a lvl 55 area. So the same location sells nicely to people on lower levels, then it sells not so good for the entire mid-lvl population, then it goes back to being a hot spot for people who just finished the main storyline and after another lull, it goes back to being a popular spot for goods that are mid-endgame kind of thing.

Somnia

So for the console launch are we going to reach out to a Mod and have this thread moved back to General for a limited time and maybe change the title to indicate Console Launch?

Also XB1 players I will be creating a NeoGAF guild on the NA Megaserver as soon as it launches (or close to it depending when servers come up and work, etc.). It'll be on the Daggerfall side, but any faction can join we just can only group within our own faction.

We need to decide if we all want to focus on one faction or not which would be preferred, personally I like Daggerfall the best.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks sblargh some of them addons look great to use :>

Ferny

So for the console launch are we going to reach out to a Mod and have this thread moved back to General for a limited time and maybe change the title to indicate Console Launch?

Also XB1 players I will be creating a NeoGAF guild on the NA Megaserver as soon as it launches (or close to it depending when servers come up and work, etc.). It'll be on the Daggerfall side, but any faction can join we just can only group within our own faction.

We need to decide if we all want to focus on one faction or not which would be preferred, personally I like Daggerfall the best.

Nah, a console thread should be made I think. It's a new release so no reason to combine the threads.

LiQuid!

Really wish the servers were cross platform. This game has a pretty small community as it is, it's going to be fractured 3 ways when the consoles release.

hepburn3d

Option 1 - New Mega Thread The Elder Scrolls Online |OT3| A title more fun that I chose

Option 2 - Bump this thread over and title change

I only made a new thread as the original one was so hate filled and non useful in terms of content.

It would be good to have all discussion and help in one thread, the only draw back I could see would be we would have 6 different groups:

NA PC
NA PS4
NA XB1
EU PC
EU PS4
EU XB1

Then you also have the fact that PC users will have glorious add-ons to talk about which may de-rail console discussion.

PC users will have a years experience to help out console players though which would be nice.

I think a new thread would be good personally. I think MMO's on GAF seem to have small enough communities that it wouldn't get confusing.

hepburn3d

Probably better to have one console and one pc thread.

Oops yea I suppose i forgot the Option 3 where we carry on as normal :) Guess it makes sense to have a console thread separate.

I personally couldn't give up on the add-ons now. I bet it's great fun the first time hunting for all the skyshards, but there are some I would never have found. The ones behind enemy gates are by far the worst to have to try and get.

Can't wait for controller support though, hope they do it GTA V style where the launcher auto launches the game rather than need a single mouse click

gossi

Can't wait for controller support though, hope they do it GTA V style where the launcher auto launches the game rather than need a single mouse click

They won't, the launcher is outsourced via a company called SSN (it's the same base as the launcher for other MMOs like Star Trek etc).

The console version is actually great. It has improvements over the PC version too, e.g. Gambon's lines have been revoiced so his character no longer turns into a different voice actor at times, there's new music in mainquest, the engine is 64 bit, there's new visual effects, siege weapons can be viewed vertically etc.

I'll probably make a console OT on launch, if wanted?

hepburn3d

They won't, the launcher is outsourced via a company called SSN (it's the same base as the launcher for other MMOs like Star Trek etc).

The console version is actually great. It has improvements over the PC version too, e.g. Gambon's lines have been revoiced so his character no longer turns into a different voice actor at times, there's new music in mainquest, the engine is 64 bit, there's new visual effects, siege weapons can be viewed vertically etc.

The sounds, music and visuals I imagine will be coming in the next update to PC as there would be no reason not to. The 64 bit, all I can say is I am mega jealous they have not brought 64 bit to PC! Let me use my PC's limits Zeni!

Do you get increased draw distance on the console then?

gossi

The sounds, music and visuals I imagine will be coming in the next update to PC as there would be no reason not to. The 64 bit, all I can say is I am mega jealous they have not brought 64 bit to PC! Let me use my PC's limits Zeni!

Do you get increased draw distance on the console then?

The draw distance on Xbox, as far as I can see, is dynamic. It appears to adjust down when the engine is under load. I took part in some reasonably big PVP battles during the weekend and it coped really well - better than my (rather beefy) gaming PC which makes me scratch my head. Hopefully the changes get ported back.

The voice chat is also excellent. Fully directional, so if some dude runs up from behind talking you hear him fade in from behind you (if you have surround sound). In terms of grouping I PVP'ed all weekend with a group of 11, we all talked and made friends and it was a great experience.

I was nervous going in as I know Zenimax need to hit it out the park with console to survive, but left the beta feeling quite confident. It's really solid.

hepburn3d

The draw distance on Xbox, as far as I can see, is dynamic. It appears to adjust down when the engine is under load. I took part in some reasonably big PVP battles during the weekend and it coped really well - better than my (rather beefy) gaming PC which makes me scratch my head. Hopefully the changes get ported back.

The voice chat is also excellent. Fully directional, so if some dude runs up from behind talking you hear him fade in from behind you (if you have surround sound). In terms of grouping I PVP'ed all weekend with a group of 11, we all talked and made friends and it was a great experience.

I was nervous going in as I know Zenimax need to hit it out the park with console to survive, but left the beta feeling quite confident. It's really solid.

:eek: directional VoIP! I had no idea they'd implemented that! I would love this on PC but I can't see it happening as I think it's using Sony/Micro's in built service :(

That would be awesome! I really dislike using 3rd party voice chat on PC :(

Gossi you've made me quite jealous now. Mainly because I couch game. It sounds really solid. I really hope console launches smoothly.

gossi

:eek: directional VoIP! I had no idea they'd implemented that! I would love this on PC but I can't see it happening as I think it's using Sony/Micro's in built service :(

That would be awesome! I really dislike using 3rd party voice chat on PC :(

Gossi you've made me quite jealous now. Mainly because I couch game. It sounds really solid. I really hope console launches smoothly.

The VoIP stuff is impressive, won't lie. You can walk around towns and just hear people talking, then they fade out as you leave.

You can pick up console version for £15 and copy your character across, so retain the PC version. That's my plan. There's other great features - for example, you can press Menu - X to access voice chat, and then jump into guild chat to talk to all your guildies. It's a fantastic social experience. The group finder and UI are also vastly improved over PC, IMHO. Over the beta weekend our group did dungeons far outside our level without even finding out our roles (we never had a tank, for example) but we did it easily, because we all talked to each other while doing it.

Voice chat, controller and UI are (apparently) coming to PC, not soon though. If you look in the game INI settings file voice chat and controller are there now, although they do nothing.

hepburn3d

The VoIP stuff is impressive, won't lie. You can walk around towns and just hear people talking, then they fade out as you leave.

You can pick up console version for £15 and copy your character across, so retain the PC version. That's my plan. There's other great features - for example, you can press Menu - X to access voice chat, and then jump into guild chat to talk to all your guildies. It's a fantastic social experience. The group finder and UI are also vastly improved over PC, IMHO. Over the beta weekend our group did dungeons far outside our level without even finding out our roles (we never had a tank, for example) but we did it easily, because we all talked to each other while doing it.

Voice chat, controller and UI are (apparently) coming to PC, not soon though. If you look in the game INI settings file voice chat and controller are there now, although they do nothing.

I've gone cards all in this gen on PC only, using Steam Big Picture with Pinnacle Profiler emulator for unsupported controller games. So I can't port over. I'll patiently wait for when these things hopefully come. I've force enabled the controller UI on PC to see what it was like. Was really good, but my control set up did not match it enough to actually use it :)

I love the sound of walking into towns and hearing people chatting in the distance ... well some people ;) Have they got any way of blocking audio from some people? Like those who watch TV in the background with their headset on the ground? Don't want a TV running by me :p

Guild voice chat must be so good to :D Maaaan I want these things, I'd love to try them out :)

Somnia

Sounds good, seems like everyone wants a seperate console thread so it's probably best. Let me know when you're prepping it so I can give my @name info for the XB1 NA guild.

gossi

hep, you can mute people by holding Menu -> Mute. You can also turn off area chat if you want, so you only hear the group, guild or whatever.

I hope they find some more money and market the shit out of the console version. It's a win-win for all players if they can get the message out that the console version is fun and worth playing.

hepburn3d

hep, you can mute people by holding Menu -> Mute. You can also turn off area chat if you want, so you only hear the group, guild or whatever.

I hope they find some more money and market the shit out of the console version. It's a win-win for all players if they can get the message out that the console version is fun and worth playing.

Awesome. First thing I want when anything has mic support is a mute function to :D

I think I read earlier in the thread that this game will be getting a serious advertising push on console a few weeks before release. With the 30 min CGI video they've made it would be a waste not to use that everywhere. I'm glad console users are going in without the bugs of 1.0 to 1.5. Will be interested to see what kind of reception it gets. VR is still a grind but I can see it disappearing soon as the Champion System is working great. I'm really crossing my fingers that all VR gear is compressed into VR1 gear so my VR12-13 sets become special :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Been tweaking my sweetfx more ill post some pics tonight when I finish work I think we need more pics from me :D

nataku

Depending on how well the game does on consoles, I may get the PS4 version. The visual downgrade will be hard to stomach, especially the loss of AF and framerate, but I'd rather play an MMO that has a healthy population.

Hopefully, though, the console version makes people realize the game is pretty fun and some switch over to PC.

How many NA PC players do we have here?

gossi

Depending on how well the game does on consoles, I may get the PS4 version. The visual downgrade will be hard to stomach, especially the loss of AF and framerate, but I'd rather play an MMO that has a healthy population.

Hopefully, though, the console version makes people realize the game is pretty fun and some switch over to PC.

How many NA PC players do we have here?

A quick update on this - I think the Xbox One version has AF. I've been looking at my screenshots. There's obviously the framerate of 30, however otherwise it's very close to PC at highest settings.

Sblargh

Banned
Really wish the servers were cross platform. This game has a pretty small community as it is, it's going to be fractured 3 ways when the consoles release.

It's my big worry, too. thought the game going B2P would make it crazy popular; it did sold amazingly at launch. But apparently, people have simply not come back.

The impression I get is that there is more people still playing Skyrim, which is insane to me. People go to great lenghts to mod that game so they have a fake waifu instead of going online, getting into an RP guild, finding a person whose avatar is a female Khajiit and then having honest to god cybersex with that person. I just don't know what the world is coming to.

Seriously, tho, are people really not bothering to reinstall the game and play it for free even with all the "game is much better" hype going around?

Been tweaking my sweetfx more ill post some pics tonight when I finish work I think we need more pics from me :D

I started messing with it, too. If I get some good scene out of it, I'll compete with you.
And I'll win.
And everyone will love me more.

gossi

It's only sold 153k copies on Steam since mid last year, even when it's been in the top ten sellers it hasn't done much business sadly. Way more people play Skyrim - for example as I'm typing this post 50k people are in Skyrim, 2k are in Elder Scrolls Online. There's a huge financial problem with PC version. (Less people are ESO right now than Farm Simulator) (Yes, Farm Simulator).

Here's what the game looks like on XB1, by the way, from Caayn (right click -> view in new tab -> expand to full screen):

esocaayn41xuqp.png

esocaayn588u4i.png

It's only sold 153k copies on Steam since mid last year, even when it's been in the top ten sellers it hasn't done much business sadly. Way more people play Skyrim - for example as I'm typing this post 50k people are in Skyrim, 2k are in Elder Scrolls Online. There's a huge financial problem with PC version. (Less people are ESO right now than Farm Simulator) (Yes, Farm Simulator).

Wooooow, thats...not...
really much
. Would have never expected that low numbers.

There are so many ES fans out there, they need to advertise this really hard...

Ive preordered already...;-)

Somnia

Wooooow, thats...not...
really much
. Would have never expected that low numbers.

There are so many ES fans out there, they need to advertise this really hard...

Ive preordered already...;-)

That's how much it sold on Steam, doesn't count everyone who bought it the what 6-8 months before it was on Steam? MMO's do most of their #'s at launch (keyword most mmo's not all).

That's how much it sold on Steam, doesn't count everyone who bought it the what 6-8 months before it was on Steam? MMO's do most of their #'s at launch (keyword most mmo's not all).

Ah thanks for clarification! Wasnt sure when it was out, when on Steam etc...

gossi

Yah, it launched independently first. But, you know, Steam is by far the #1 PC sales platform (which the game was soon put on!).... All you have to do is look at Twitch, Reddit, etc numbers. Or the interest here. Or any comments on any video, tweet etc about the game. It has a terrible reputation online, I think unfairly. I've noticed a majority of the people who hate the game haven't even played it. The buzz was really good until the (PC) beta, which had some... issues.

LiQuid!

I don't like buying/playing MMOs on Steam because all my friends can see how much I no-life them.

I think I got my ESO key on Amazon.

Sblargh

Banned
This is how I know the population on this game is dead. I've been banging my head trying to solo this public dungeon for an hour and a half now and I've seen no one else in here. Not one person.

gossi

This is how I know the population on this game is dead. I've been banging my head trying to solo this public dungeon for an hour and a half now and I've seen no one else in here. Not one person.

Yeah, I've just been playing EU on the most populated PVP campaign, a few weeks ago it took about an hour to get in due to queue (200+ people), tonight I got in with no queue at all. Right now it isn't even population locked, none of them are. They only take 1500 people each campaign too.

Somnia

Ya PC gamers have moved on. I do think it'll be much more viable and populated on console and I think ZOS know this also which is why their focus lately seems all console focused (since B2P announcement)

LiQuid!

How does this game handle someone higher level grouping up with a low level character? I know dungeons scale to the leader, but does that mean you can lead a party of high levels into a dungeon and they will just faceroll everything? If a high level leader takes a group of noobs into a high level scaled dungeon with the low levels still get exp? Will they get it super fast?

gossi

Ya PC gamers have moved on. I do think it'll be much more viable and populated on console and I think ZOS know this also which is why their focus lately seems all console focused (since B2P announcement)

Well if you think about it, it's buy to play - they've probably got as many PC players as they're going to get right now (they will get more when more kids grow up and buy game). Skyrim had like 30m players, mostly on console - they want that cash.

How does this game handle someone higher level grouping up with a low level character? I know dungeons scale to the leader, but does that mean you can lead a party of high levels into a dungeon and they will just faceroll everything? If a high level leader takes a group of noobs into a high level scaled dungeon with the low levels still get exp? Will they get it super fast?

You only gain experience points when you kill something 5 levels below or above you, if memory serves. This was to stop people and bots grinding places. That XP is scaled, so if you kill something 6 levels below you you get nothing, 5 levels you get very little, 4 you get a bit more, 0 level difference the standard amount, +1 level a bit more than usual.

Sblargh

Banned
I think PC population will see some increase the first big steam sale; I guess a lot of people are waiting for that (as they should, tbh).

But they're not going to do a PC sale when the console version is about to launch, so... I'll blame consoles. As I always do. On every subject.

LiQuid!

I'm either missing something super obvious or I have bugged the main quest line of Alik'r Desert (Daggerfall faction). I've cleared my journal of every quest I could find in the zone and I have not been properly lead to and completed 3 areas (Tu'whacca's Throne, Tava's Blessing and Motalion Necropolis). Somewhere after I rescued the prince in Sentinel the quest line just stopped...

gossi

I'm either missing something super obvious or I have bugged the main quest line of Alik'r Desert (Daggerfall faction). I've cleared my journal of every quest I could find in the zone and I have not been properly lead to and completed 3 areas (Tu'whacca's Throne, Tava's Blessing and Motalion Necropolis). Somewhere after I rescued the prince in Sentinel the quest line just stopped...

You probably missed the NPC who continues the story. Some (sadly many) of the quests are quest chains, and they don't always always auto-activate the next quest. So you have to go and find the next person in the quest chain manually.

Top Bottom