• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited - |OT| - Console edition

I am absolutely loving this game. I'm playing a Dunmer Templar that's a staff healer / nuker hybrid. I hated the game in beta, but I'm really impressed with it now. It feels like an Elder Scrolls game, just with more people involved with more content. I just hit level 20.

Is there anything I'm missing as far as "things I should be doing?" I'm just going with the flow as far as skills go since I can swap around builds without consequences apparently. I unlocked the guilds so I could get access to some of the skills. I've been doing the daily writs for crafting, trying to keep tradeskills researching at all times, been doing the daily dungeon, and have been going to the stable to buff my mount. I've been mostly going "this looks neat, doing this" for quests, but is there anything I'm missing that I should start doing now for the long haul?

The game also runs like crap on a 970 / i5 3750k. I've had some erratic frame rate issues, but I haven't really been messing around with the settings too much. I'd like to keep the game as close to "ultra" as possible, but what changes should I make that are low impact to graphics but high to performance?

Bliany

The game also runs like crap on a 970 / i5 3750k. I've had some erratic frame rate issues, but I haven't really been messing around with the settings too much. I'd like to keep the game as close to "ultra" as possible, but what changes should I make that are low impact to graphics but high to performance?

Don't have any advice for you here but just wanted to say I feel your pain. I'm running on the same rig and can't wait to upgrade soon and get this game running smooth.

Wallach

Ultra settings in this game are total trash. Don't use them. They give you almost nothing for massive increases in CPU overhead. Even on an i7-4790k and GTX 1080 I wouldn't run them.

Use the High preset, re-enable Water Reflections, and re-enable Ambient Occlusion.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There's not really anything you can miss out on. There's still so much game for you to play so don't bother worrying about anything. If you do literally every main quest, side quest, clear out every delve, public dungeon and world boss, basically 100% completion on every map with 1 character you'll end up somewhere around CP275-300. That took me months of on and off playing to do.

If you've got the gold edition DLC each of those has daily quests that you can unlock by progressing in them a bit that have some nice rewards (motifs and shit which you can use or sell) but you have to get really good at them. I gave up on ever getting good at the thieves guild sneaking missions, but there are ways you can cheese it with certain gear and skills later on.

If anything, maybe roll a couple more characters and start doing daily horse feeds for them for when you want to play an alt later on. Tho I wouldn't be in a big hurry to even do that because you'll learn more enough about the game in the next few weeks/months that will inform how you roll future characters. It's just a pain in the butt to start off at a 0/0/0 horse when your main character's is a speed of light tank and your noob character will get dismounted by a monster sneezing at you.

oktarb

Well I finally beat the main story line. What did that take? Like four years? Sad on my part.

Weird how it boots you right into the next factions story line via Cadwell.

oSoLucky

I am absolutely loving this game. I'm playing a Dunmer Templar that's a staff healer / nuker hybrid. I hated the game in beta, but I'm really impressed with it now. It feels like an Elder Scrolls game, just with more people involved with more content. I just hit level 20.

Is there anything I'm missing as far as "things I should be doing?" I'm just going with the flow as far as skills go since I can swap around builds without consequences apparently. I unlocked the guilds so I could get access to some of the skills. I've been doing the daily writs for crafting, trying to keep tradeskills researching at all times, been doing the daily dungeon, and have been going to the stable to buff my mount. I've been mostly going "this looks neat, doing this" for quests, but is there anything I'm missing that I should start doing now for the long haul?

You seem to be going in the right direction. The game is very sandboxy with some daily maintenance that will make your life easier, so anything "in the long run" that you need done can just be accomplished later. Doing guild dailies(especially Undaunted once you hit 45) will help a lot and they're normally doable in under 10 minutes aside from the group dungeon ones. I would suggest going to Cyrodiil at some point ranking up Assault to 4 at least. It will give you the ultimate War Horn, which when morphed to Aggressive Horn is one of the very best support tools that a healer has. It is by no means required until endgame content, so if you don't like PvP then you can skip it.

Make sure to pick up any of the glowing blue Lore Books that you see as those are the only way to rank up Mage's Guild. Read bookshelves as they can level up a random skill line. Also research as much as possible, but don't be too fussed about your gear while leveling. Don't waste any materials upgrading or crafting before Cp160. As long as you're actively questing or doing dungeons, you'll get enough gear to upgrade as you go. People generally run into trouble only when grinding to level. Get Hirelings! I get a gold crafting material from one of them on average every 3 days or so.

Thanks, swapping to high significantly improved frame-rates. I can't really notice any difference between that and ultra.

I'm trying to decide on a solo character / build to play as an alt for when my buddy isn't on. My main templar is a traditional "shoot the enemy from ranged" mage," with a do whatever I feel like" experience, but I'd like something that's meta PVP viable on my second character. Any suggestions for a build? Was looking at Nightblade and Dragon Knight. I want to steal and murder from as many people as I can too if possible, as my Templar is my "good guy" character.

OmegaX06

I managed to get the PS4 version for $3 from a 3rd party on Walmart.com - I figured it would be worth checking out for that price. I'm sure they probably ended up paying more in shipping costs.

Setzer

Make sure to pick up any of the glowing blue Lore Books that you see as those are the only way to rank up Mage's Guild. Read bookshelves as they can level up a random skill line.

Is this the only way to rank up Mage's Guild? I'm coming back to the game after 2 years and my level 50 Sorcerer only has rank 8 in Mage Guild and apparently I need to get it to 10 so I can unlock the ultimate, Shooting Star.

oSoLucky

Is this the only way to rank up Mage's Guild? I'm coming back to the game after 2 years and my level 50 Sorcerer only has rank 8 in Mage Guild and apparently I need to get it to 10 so I can unlock the ultimate, Shooting Star.

The books along with the Guild's daily delve(which only gives a couple books worth of xp) are the only way. Not even the freaking Guild story quests will level the line. If you're on PC, there are mods that make it really easy, and if you're on console, there are many maps/guides(and a handy mobile app). I would suggest burning through a couple zones that you haven't cleared at all so that you won't be chasing books that you may have already picked up. Also, completing a full set gives a bonus(20xp on top of the usual 5 per book) so it's efficient to just do the 10 books in a zone for the set and move on. I usually do them all personally.

Anyone playing this on PS4 Pro? Any crashing/instability issues?

I get some stuttering but that's about it. I've had maybe 1 or 2 crashes in a few hundred hours of play so far.

So I've put a few hours into this. Started my first character as a Darkblade Khajitt, got to about level 7 and finished the main starter story area and felt like I wasn't really digging the class for solo play. Normally in an Elder Scrolls game I always go for the thief with the bow and arrow and while nothing killed me in the game, I also wasn't able to do the long range one shot kills while undetected.

And that totally makes sense for an MMO style game, I guess I was just buying into the whole 'play it however you want' mantra a bit too much.

So I did some reading and it seems like the recommendation for pure solo play, or first timers, is a Stamina based Sorcerer. Went back and rolled a Redguard Sorceress and was pleasantly surprised to see this put me in a new starting zone with new quest lines (which in hindisight makes sense given the faction differences). And I am enjoying my time with the game... but it also feels a little... lifeless? That's not the right word... I'm not as engaged as I expected. I don't feel myself falling down the rabbit hole of getting lost in the world or the mechanics or the exploration or... any of it.

I don't know what I am expecting, or missing from the experience. When I am playing, I'm having a good time. When I am not playing, it's not even on my mind. When I sit down in the evening - I'm having to convince myself to start the game up. And once I do, I enjoy my time with it, but I'm disappointed I'm still having to talk myself into playing it instead of actively wanting to play it and looking forward to playing it.

I'll keep up with it - as I'm still so very early in levels and story and mechanics and everything.... I guess I just wished I was looking forward to the experience more. If the game gets amazing later, these early points are doing a bad job foreshadowing it.

One final point - the game looks surprisingly dated. Occasionally, I'll round a corner and the sun will be setting just right to make the environments sing, or the actual layout of a dungeon has some interesting verticality giving the impression of a large space. Most the time though, it looks like how my minds eye remembers Morrowind looking. Now, obviously as the screenshots above show - that isn't correct, but I can't help but shake that feeling as I wander around these starting zones. The lighting is just so flat. I guess I was just expecting it to at least look closer to the original Skyrim release in terms of fidelity.

Again, I sound super down on it - but I do enjoy my time with it when I get into it. It just hasn't sunk it's hooks into me.

I do enjoy my time with it when I get into it. It just hasn't sunk it's hooks into me.

I'm pretty similar. It's not a traditional Elder Scrolls game and it does not sink hooks in like those do for me. I enjoy it when I play it, but it's definitely it's own thing. Neither a real ES game nor a pure MMO. I like it for what it is, though. I'll play it off and on, maybe a couple nights every few weeks in between playing other things. That's why the lack of a monthly fee is so great. I would never have bought it with a fee anyway, but if I had, I would feel compelled to play all the time instead of casually which works for me.

oSoLucky

I'm pretty similar. It's not a traditional Elder Scrolls game and it does not sink hooks in like those do for me. I enjoy it when I play it, but it's definitely it's own thing. Neither a real ES game nor a pure MMO. I like it for what it is, though. I'll play it off and on, maybe a couple nights every few weeks in between playing other things. That's why the lack of a monthly fee is so great. I would never have bought it with a fee anyway, but if I had, I would feel compelled to play all the time instead of casually which works for me.

The game is definitely casual friendly compared to most MMOs also. I find that people who jump in because it's an MMO tend to get more enjoyment to start than those who do because it's an Elder Scrolls game. It looks like one on the surface, and is marketed as one, but it doesn't play much like one. It feels like a lot of people on the forums were really expecting MP Skyrim.

dawgparty

Thinking about picking this up with my boyfriend but just wanna know one thing: Are healers fun to play in this? Can you even 'be' a dedicated healer? Are they needed? I always play a support role in MMOs and have found some MMOs are better at facilitating this than others.

Somnia

Thinking about picking this up with my boyfriend but just wanna know one thing: Are healers fun to play in this? Can you even 'be' a dedicated healer? Are they needed? I always play a support role in MMOs and have found some MMOs are better at facilitating this than others.

Yes you can be a dedicated healer, you'll still do light attacks or heavy attacks to help get mana back, but it's 100% doable and needed in Dungeons/Trials.

Templar make the best healer IMO, but you can be a healer on any class with a restoration staff.

The game is definitely casual friendly compared to most MMOs also. I find that people who jump in because it's an MMO tend to get more enjoyment to start than those who do because it's an Elder Scrolls game. It looks like one on the surface, and is marketed as one, but it doesn't play much like one. It feels like a lot of people on the forums were really expecting MP Skyrim.

It's been awhile since I played a true MMO, WoW back during the Burning Crusade expansion being the last time. But I'm not unfamiliar with the concepts and play style of an MMO - and I definitely wasn't looking for ESO to just be a MP Skyrim... just the systems that you interact with for being an MMO feel lacking. Again, I'm early - maybe once I get into the 20s or 50s things will be more engaging.

I was thinking that it could also be a result of the whole One Tamirel thing. I don't really feel like I'm making any progress because everything is doable right off the bat. I've died once when I aggroed like 4 guys in a starter zone on accident. Levels seem basically meaningless save for the skill points you are awarded, and I'm not having to really learn much about each skill and how to use them as long as everything is dying pretty easily.

I don't know. I'll have to give it more time.

Agreed. The lack of monthly fee is really turning out to be a boon to me here. I feel I *should* spend more time with it, because I just bought it, but I also don't feel bad skipping a night because I've already paid my price for admission and don't feel like I'm wasting money spent on a monthly fee.

Appreciate the feedback, as I've really been trying to understand how I am feeling about this game.

Setzer

The books along with the Guild's daily delve(which only gives a couple books worth of xp) are the only way. Not even the freaking Guild story quests will level the line. If you're on PC, there are mods that make it really easy, and if you're on console, there are many maps/guides(and a handy mobile app). I would suggest burning through a couple zones that you haven't cleared at all so that you won't be chasing books that you may have already picked up. Also, completing a full set gives a bonus(20xp on top of the usual 5 per book) so it's efficient to just do the 10 books in a zone for the set and move on. I usually do them all personally.

I'm on PC so I downloaded that Lorebook addon. It helps a ton! Thanks!

BizzyBum

So I've put a few hours into this. Started my first character as a Darkblade Khajitt, got to about level 7 and finished the main starter story area and felt like I wasn't really digging the class for solo play. Normally in an Elder Scrolls game I always go for the thief with the bow and arrow and while nothing killed me in the game, I also wasn't able to do the long range one shot kills while undetected.

And that totally makes sense for an MMO style game, I guess I was just buying into the whole 'play it however you want' mantra a bit too much.

The whole "play however you want" just means you're not locked to a particular role. You can be any race and eventually have enough skill points to wield any weapon, armor, magic, crafting, be a vampire, etc. all on one character. So in that sense it's like a traditional TES game, but yeah it's not going to translate 100% in an MMO. Stealth one-shotting was possible before One Tamriel, but now that everything scales to you it's not really doable. You should have been here during beta / release, it was pretty brutal. The devs have added a ton of stuff to make it as TES as possible with thousands of people running around.

And I am enjoying my time with the game... but it also feels a little... lifeless? That's not the right word... I'm not as engaged as I expected. I don't feel myself falling down the rabbit hole of getting lost in the world or the mechanics or the exploration or... any of it. I'll keep up with it - as I'm still so very early in levels and story and mechanics and everything.... I guess I just wished I was looking forward to the experience more. If the game gets amazing later, these early points are doing a bad job foreshadowing it.

Probably a bad sign, I guess. I dunno, for me I was instantly hooked when I started playing it. It's definitely not as sandbox as the single-player TES games, but the zones are pretty massive so the exploration potential is definitely there and you do find cool things off the beaten path quite often. The DLC storylines with the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are excellent, too. Lots of awesome areas to explore that are much better than the vanilla game. Based off these I'm sure Morrowind in June is going to be great.

One final point - the game looks surprisingly dated. Occasionally, I'll round a corner and the sun will be setting just right to make the environments sing, or the actual layout of a dungeon has some interesting verticality giving the impression of a large space. Most the time though, it looks like how my minds eye remembers Morrowind looking. Now, obviously as the screenshots above show - that isn't correct, but I can't help but shake that feeling as I wander around these starting zones. The lighting is just so flat. I guess I was just expecting it to at least look closer to the original Skyrim release in terms of fidelity.

Morrowind looking? Bruh... you haven't played Morrowind lately. LOL

Are you on PC or consoles? I agree the game can look dated at times but maxed out on PC at 1440p or 4K can look stunning at times depending on the location of the game. Delves and dungeons can look especially good. (Warning: large screenshots)
3wB4Q2O.jpg

SxVJPrQ.png

b7gHe5T.jpg

JBuDVAs.jpg

IP9ZvW2.jpg

Again, not current next-gen looking, but pretty good for a 2014 MMO.

The whole "play however you want" just means you're not locked to a particular role. You can be any race and eventually have enough skill points to wield any weapon, armor, magic, crafting, be a vampire, etc. all on one character. So in that sense it's like a traditional TES game, but yeah it's not going to translate 100% in an MMO. Stealth one-shotting was possible before One Tamriel, but now that everything scales to you it's not really doable. You should have been here during beta / release, it was pretty brutal. The devs have added a ton of stuff to make it as TES as possible with thousands of people running around.

Which totally makes sense. Again, I think it was more me coming at the game from the wrong mind set and less an issue with the game itself. It definitely get the TES vibes and feel from it, it's just slightly off and different.

Probably a bad sign, I guess. I dunno, for me I was instantly hooked when I started playing it. It's definitely not as sandbox as the single-player TES games, but the zones are pretty massive so the exploration potential is definitely there and you do find cool things off the beaten path quite often. The DLC storylines with the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are excellent, too. Lots of awesome areas to explore that are much better than the vanilla game. Based off these I'm sure Morrowind in June is going to be great.

See this gives me hope. I feel like I'm still in the starting zones here, and I hope that once I make it to mainland Tamriel instead of all these islands, it'll start to feel more open and welcoming of exploration.

Morrowind looking? Bruh... you haven't played Morrowind lately. LOL

Are you on PC or consoles? I agree the game can look dated at times but maxed out on PC at 1440p or 4K can look stunning at times depending on the location of the game. Delves and dungeons can look especially good. (Warning: large screenshots)

Again, not current next-gen looking, but pretty good for a 2014 MMO.

LOL agreed. I know it wasn't "right" just how it "felt" to me. (and it has been a long while since I played Morrowind) I am playing on PC, and had it running on Ultra settings before someone here recommended knocking it down to High to avoid weird frame rate issues. I'd launch the game and be getting 100+ and then as I continued to play it would degrade into the sub 20s. Not having that issue on high.

And yeah, like I said, sometimes the lighting does it's job and makes the environments really pop - but most of the time it seems really flat. Like in the Khajitt starting zone, you go into this area where you have to swim up to a temple to fight some bandits and it is this grand open space in a cave but it's just this very flat uniform lighting.

Again, maybe it's just the starting zones and once I get out and into dungeons and more advanced areas I'll shake some of this feeling. It definitely isn't BAD looking... just more dated than I expected.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Dedicated healers are very necessary as the game works with the same holy trinity style role setup as most MMOs do. Healing in ESO is not targeted though, so it's different than most other MMOs. Heals typically either ground target an area and everyone in it, or they seek out the lowest HP teammates and heal them directly. What this means is that generally speaking, outside of end game content, healers can be expected to do some damage while weaving in their buffs and heals, so it feels more active than just sitting around waiting for someone's HP to get low and then topping them off.

This definitely isn't like Guild Wars 2 tho where almost every class is an autonomous, army-of-one. Roles are super important.

oSoLucky

It's been awhile since I played a true MMO, WoW back during the Burning Crusade expansion being the last time. But I'm not unfamiliar with the concepts and play style of an MMO - and I definitely wasn't looking for ESO to just be a MP Skyrim... just the systems that you interact with for being an MMO feel lacking. Again, I'm early - maybe once I get into the 20s or 50s things will be more engaging.

I was thinking that it could also be a result of the whole One Tamirel thing. I don't really feel like I'm making any progress because everything is doable right off the bat. I've died once when I aggroed like 4 guys in a starter zone on accident. Levels seem basically meaningless save for the skill points you are awarded, and I'm not having to really learn much about each skill and how to use them as long as everything is dying pretty easily.

I don't know. I'll have to give it more time.

Agreed. The lack of monthly fee is really turning out to be a boon to me here. I feel I *should* spend more time with it, because I just bought it, but I also don't feel bad skipping a night because I've already paid my price for admission and don't feel like I'm wasting money spent on a monthly fee.

Appreciate the feedback, as I've really been trying to understand how I am feeling about this game.

I wasn't talking about you, I meant the official ESO forums. This is how all MMOs are at the start, it's just exaggerated a bit in this game due to the way that scaling works. Your complaints are the number 1 that I see on the forums and Reddit overall. People feel a lack of progress, or even that they're getting weaker as they level due to a reduction in scaling and that's really off putting. The scaling was great for me since I could play with friends immediately when I started but I can see the other side. Overland stuff will always be easy save for Craglorn which has parts scaled for groups and Wrothgar to a lesser extent. Also, a lot of World Bosses are tough to solo.

If that's a deal breaker for you, then you may not ever really love the game. The game becomes a lot more fluid when you have a full array of abilities including weapon swap(so you have 12 slotted instead of 6), and no just spamming the same 2 skills. Individual numbers may be smaller but I guarantee that your character will be stronger due to passives and more abilities to use. Again, most of the overland content is pretty easy in the name of accessibility.

I assure you that there is plenty of difficult content in the game, it's just that most of it is group oriented and designed for high CP levels. Dungeons/PvP/Maelstrom Arena are the first wakeup calls that you actually need to focus a build around a goal.

BizzyBum

See this gives me hope. I feel like I'm still in the starting zones here, and I hope that once I make it to mainland Tamriel instead of all these islands, it'll start to feel more open and welcoming of exploration.

Again, maybe it's just the starting zones and once I get out and into dungeons and more advanced areas I'll shake some of this feeling. It definitely isn't BAD looking... just more dated than I expected.

Yeah, the starting zones are much, much smaller than the main zones.

The game becomes a lot more fluid when you have a full array of abilities including weapon swap(so you have 12 slotted instead of 6), and no just spamming the same 2 skills. Individual numbers may be smaller but I guarantee that your character will be stronger due to passives and more abilities to use. Again, most of the overland content is pretty easy in the name of accessibility.

Yeah, for the longest time I was just solo questing and trying to level every skill to 50 and every ability to level 4 and felt I wasn't weak but not super strong, either. Once I got to CP 160 and acquired a set of purple gear and tried to make a decent Magicka Templar build I started steamrolling solo content.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah, the game is definitely held back by it's engine. World geometry isn't great and there are a lot of lousy, low-res textures.

Wallach

Other than framerate, textures are definitely where playing on PS4 hurts more. The highest detail level on PS4 seems to be at least one notch below PC.

Kind of regret pre-ordering Morrowind on both platforms as I have a feeling I won't be going back to PS4 anymore.

Setzer

So does faction choice only matter for PvP now? I found out last night you can cross-group with players from another faction...something I couldn't do before. I didn't try questing or trading but I imagine those work as well? So essentially in PvE everyone is together but PvP remains separated by faction?

Kind of regret pre-ordering Morrowind on both platforms as I have a feeling I won't be going back to PS4 anymore.

At least you still have time to cancel that pre-order.

LiQuid!

So does faction choice only matter for PvP now? I found out last night you can cross-group with players from another faction...something I couldn't do before. I didn't try questing or trading but I imagine those work as well? So essentially in PvE everyone is together but PvP remains separated by faction?

At least you still have time to cancel that pre-order.

Yep, Faction only matters for PVP.

Just started playing this on my PS4 Pro lately and I've been having so much fun with it so far. I'm so glad that I stuck with this game because it was a slow start and I wasn't really into it at first, but once the world opened up to me along with an enormous amount of quests and guilds - I got hooked! Currently a level 8 Mag Templar... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be Dual Wielding or using a Destruction Staff. Also, when do I start questing with others in dungeons (raids)? I just got to Daggerfall (chose the Breton race).

Anyone want to add me on PSN to quest / trade? I'm a very casual PVE'er just looking for people to quest with and chat. PSN: earvcunanan

dawgparty

Yes, no problems at all provided you were okay with console Skyrim. If you lamented the interface there you won't like this one either.

Great, thanks. Was about to buy but the sale ran out. If I'm not sure I'm going to like the game would it make sense to just get the standard edition and then maybe get the DLC that comes with the Gold edition later? Or will I definitely want that now?

Great, thanks. Was about to buy but the sale ran out. If I'm not sure I'm going to like the game would it make sense to just get the standard edition and then maybe get the DLC that comes with the Gold edition later? Or will I definitely want that now?

Since it's no longer on sale, if I wasn't sure about the game I would just rent it or buy a used copy of the standard edition at the store.

Wallach

Does this game control well on PS4?

It's fine on controller, though I dunno how I'd feel without a SCUF or an Elite controller. Weapon swapping is pretty important in this game as you get better at it, and by default it's bound to like d-pad left. Not ideal for animation cancel purposes without a paddle you can remap.

LiQuid!

Just started playing this on my PS4 Pro lately and I've been having so much fun with it so far. I'm so glad that I stuck with this game because it was a slow start and I wasn't really into it at first, but once the world opened up to me along with an enormous amount of quests and guilds - I got hooked! Currently a level 8 Mag Templar... I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be Dual Wielding or using a Destruction Staff. Also, when do I start questing with others in dungeons (raids)? I just got to Daggerfall (chose the Breton race).

Anyone want to add me on PSN to quest / trade? I'm a very casual PVE'er just looking for people to quest with and chat. PSN: earvcunanan
Both Dual Wield and Destro staff will be important so level them both up. Normally dual wield is a stamina skill but until ZOS adds a dual wielded caster weapon type, dual wield is the best way to get 2 set bonuses on your weapon slots (and some useful passives) so a lot of magicka dps runs destro on one bar and DW on the other.

stn

I haven't updated/played this game since September 2015. Am I going to be hit with 100GB worth of patches?

BizzyBum

Cyrodiil Performance Test and Double AP Event - February 27 thru March 6

Interesting, they think the lag is caused by CP abilities because the non-CP campaign Azura's Star runs more smoothly so they are going to test no CP campaigns for everyone.

I honestly wouldn't mind removing CP from PvP permanently. All it does is create unbalanced play with people having infinite sustains, mega damage, etc. I actually kinda hate the CP system in this game overall. It's only going to get worse as the cap increases and the inevitable gear cap increases.

Hex

Banned
Loving this thread.
So close to diving in, dropped the idea on the GF today since she has been enjoying Skyrim on PS4.

Only real questions I have left are:
Is free playing viable?
Is it possible to use the same character on pc and PS4 (buying two copies is fine)
Is immersion good or is there alot of people running around on mounts in town spamming stupidity?
Any other advice?

Loving this thread.
So close to diving in, dropped the idea on the GF today since she has been enjoying Skyrim on PS4.

Is free playing viable?
Is it possible to use the same character on pc and PS4 (buying two copies is fine)
Is immersion good or is there alot of people running around on mounts in town spamming stupidity?
Any other advice?

The wife and I got it because we love playing TES games and have always wanted to be able to play it "together."

Free playing is viable but the Crafting Bag is so fuckin useful I can't imagine playing without it now.

There is no cross playing.

Turn off text chat and the immersion is pretty alright. The big towns, especially the starter ones, are always going to be like that and you eventually just get used to it. The actual quests and areas are done really well, we have never really had an issue.

The only advice I would give is to not worry too much about it being an MMO and just play how you guys enjoy playing. The wife and I are pleasantly addicted it.

LightInfa

Loving this thread.

Is free playing viable?
Any other advice?

I just jumped in due to the PS4 flash sale with largely the same set of questions (coming from loving Elder Scrolls games but not an MMO player at all). So far I've been very pleased with the purchase - once I turned off text and voice chat immersion was spot on and it really felt like I was playing a mainline Elder Scrolls game. So far I haven't really felt the need to have the plus subscription - level scaling means there's no real need to grind for money/gear for progression - the gear you get from questing will be enough to keep you going. The only thing that I can see getting annoying is the small amount of inventory and bank space, but you can buy more with in game gold (albeit a little dearly), and use other characters to spread out inventory.

Wallach

Loving this thread.

Is free playing viable?
Any other advice?

You definitely don't need a subscription, though it makes inventory management a much (much) bigger hassle, and you'll need to purchase the DLC separately if you want to play it at some point. There's a ton of content without any of the DLC as it is, though, so you will have plenty of time to try the game and decide for yourself if you want to invest any more.

You can't use the same character between PC and PS4, no. Each platform is separate that way. Personally I much prefer playing on PC, and if you like using add-ons its kind of a no-brainer since that option does not exist on console.

As far as misc advice:

- Take a quick look at the passive bonuses each race gets and consider them when making what kind of character you want to build. Each race has their own fairly potent passive skill line which - while not a dealbreaker for any given style of build - can really be a big boon if you know beforehand how you think you're going to play. Particularly Magicka and Stamina related bonuses, as those are your primary resources for every build, and most everything scales their effects based on not just Weapon or Spell Damage but your actual Magicka or Stamina value. So, say, a High Elf doesn't just do 4% more damage with Fire, Frost and Shock damage because of the one passive, the fact that they also get 10% more Magicka total also equates into more skill damage for skills that spend Magicka.

- Skill experience works a little different in this game compared to other ESO games. You get tons of skill lines in this game regardless of your class selection, and you get the skill points to purchase or later morph those abilities from leveling up, quest rewards or Skyshard collection, but actually increasing your XP in a skill line is based on what skills you have actively equipped at the time you gain XP. So if you don't actually have, say, a Daedric Summoning skill actively on your bar when you get XP, you won't actually get any skill XP towards that line. Both individual skills and overall skill lines level up in this way, and the more skills you are actively using the more of your XP will get added to that skill line (which is what determines when you unlock later skills in that line). So, early on most people will advise you to equip at least one skill from each of your 3 main class skill lines so that all of them will start getting skill line XP from the jump and you can work on unlocking your class skills. Similarly, people will tell you to make sure that you try to have at least 1 piece of each armor class equipped so that you get XP towards all armor classes while you're leveling. This way you don't have to grind to unlock them later on, and it has very little impact on your leveling experience anyway.

- For the most part you can actually play the game out a lot like any other ESO game. Pick a direction, run off and find quests and things to explore. That said, certain quest lines tend to be more rewarding than others - most typical side quests will give XP and a piece of gear (and generally point you in the direction of locations that may have stuff like Skyshards to find), but the main quest line for whichever faction you chose, as well as the Mages' and Fighters' Guild quest lines also reward skill points, more XP and more skill line XP towards the Mages and Fighters Guild skill lines themselves. Those guild quest lines also tend to move from zone to zone along with the general faction storyline, so I'd just try to do each of them until they point you to the next zone you haven't been to before, then once you're satisfied exploring your current zone you can move on and progress those two quest lines again in the next one.

Think I'm gonna subscribe to ESO+ on PS4 for the crafting bag to help with inventory issues. Can see myself playing this for a while, I'm really digging it so far. So much to do! And I want to try out other classes as well, but I'm having fun with my Magicka Templar so far.

dubq

I have this on disc but I want to go digital with it if I buy morrowind digital does it include the Base game

This version has the base game + Morrowind.. not sure about the other DLC though: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=UP1003-CUSA00132_00-ESOMORROWINDCEBN

Also includes the first game of the acclaimed online RPG series.

Also, did anyone buy a house yet?

I bought Autumn's Gate in the Rift with in-game gold (unfurnished): http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Autumn's-Gate

Then, I also had a bunch of crowns saved up, so I bought a furnished version of Sleek Creek House in Reaper's March: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Sleek_Creek_House

Kinda sucks that you can only place 3 combined mounts/assistants/pets.. or 6 if you have ESO Plus.

That being said, I can see myself getting totally obsessed with the furniture crafting aspect.

Top Bottom