• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited - |OT| - Console edition

dubq

I'm curious about this as well. Would love to level with some GAFfers in preparation for that sweet, sweet Morrowind expansion!
Sadly no, but I think a new one could be made. Please drop your usernames into the database at the end of the OP and we'll get the wheels turning.

gossi

When Morrowind drops I'll see if GAF masters will let me move this back to Gaming and make it the OT for Morrowind.

In other news, the publishers have invited me to the closed beta of Morrowind. I'm installing it now. Sadly there's an NDA so I can't talk about it (yet at least).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was playing with a buddy who is in a different alliance and when doing a quest we both have to activate it/talk to the quest giver. Is that how it is supposed to work?

HotHamBoy

So after procrastinating all week I finally got around to starting the game last night. This is basically just Skyrim but with a bunch of dill-wads runnin around.

xpectd.gif

I know it's an MMO on console so concessions are expected, but I am consistently apalled bu how awful the graphics are. I think that's largely due to the art direction, it's a pretty ugly game with a lot of muddy textures.

Art direction goes a long way to make weaker graphics look good.

Final Fantaxy XIV is a much better looking game, for comparison.

StuffRuff

After umming and ahhing over which platform to drop my £6.60 on over the weekend, I decided to just plump for the Xbox version. Tried the PC as everyone said mods were awesome but I didn't find it changed the overall experience enough to warrant being sat at my desk over being able to sit on the sofa/couch. It's not the full on MMO experience I've had with others like WoW where a KB/M combo is so important and I doubt the things like buff timers/floating text etc will make that big a difference. I reckon I will probably treat it like a Skyrim-2 rather than another MMO as the initial quest lines seem to be good fun but from what I've read the leveling process is pretty faceroll (sweeps for the win!) and the end game is a bit shallow.

In a bit of a pickle here. Was planning to get into this properly after having bought it like over a year ago, and i'm kinda unsure about region servers. I have several friends from US who play on NA servers, but got specifically an EU friend that is gonna jump into this too. I'm thinking of either having two separate characters and only play NA with my friends and EU on the rest. But at the same time, it'd be kinda nice to just have a single character to focus on and stuff. Is there noticable pve lag and stuff if i'd were to play on NA servers and such? I guess pvp is gonna be completely out of the question. I'm sitting in Sweden by the way. Good connection and all, but i feel that wont save the fact that im sitting on the wrong side of the world to use that region.

Freeman76

So after procrastinating all week I finally got around to starting the game last night. This is basically just Skyrim but with a bunch of dill-wads runnin around.

xpectd.gif

I know it's an MMO on console so concessions are expected, but I am consistently apalled bu how awful the graphics are. I think that's largely due to the art direction, it's a pretty ugly game with a lot of muddy textures.

FF14 better looking than ESO? Erm....thats a matter of opinion. I think ESO looks great, and it runs really well too unlike FF14.

However I am proper stuck! Started Orsinium and its telling me to "Deal with Harpies" and I cannot figure what they want me to do? Any help pls?

dubq

Yeah I don't get the "ESO is ugly" commentary. It's definitely not an ugly game. Yes it lacks the "realism" of high res open world RPG's like the Witcher, etc.. but I find the aesthetic to be very appealing, and especially the game world/landscapes. But yeah, matter of opinion, etc, etc.

However I am proper stuck! Started Orsinium and its telling me to "Deal with Harpies" and I cannot figure what they want me to do? Any help pls?

If it's the quest I'm thinking of you need to go to the top of the towers and tell the elf to shoot the Harpy nests.

Here's a walk thru: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK4I0YHDz7c

---

Warden class (Morrowind) trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3w4WDnSodE

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So in mixing armor... better to go heavy on chest, boots and legs since they're the one with most stats right?

thinking light head and sash, medium hands and shoulders, heavy chest, legs, boots

although I might switch sash for medium - armor will go up in class at the same rate regardless of how many is equipped right?

dubq

So in mixing armor... better to go heavy on chest, boots and legs since they're the one with most stats right?

thinking light head and sash, medium hands and shoulders, heavy chest, legs, boots

although I might switch sash for medium - armor will go up in class at the same rate regardless of how many is equipped right?

As far as I know, yeah. I know a lot of ppl only use light on the sash though and go medium for the head. I pretty much use that setup now.

Muddimar

So I started playing again (for a second time). My nightblade is level 9. I feel like I'm leveling so damn slow. Quest after quest.. still same level... 20 quests later I hit next level. Why is it so slow? Do you have to grind to level?

Boss Doggie

So I started playing again (for a second time). My nightblade is level 9. I feel like I'm leveling so damn slow. Quest after quest.. still same level... 20 quests later I hit next level. Why is it so slow? Do you have to grind to level?

don't grind

try crafting writs, dungeons, etc.

Impulsor

So I started playing skyrim last week. I have started and dropped skyrim a lot of times since it originally released. Never progressed too far. I had the special edition for PS4 sitting aroung.

This time I tried a combo that I never tried before, which is bow, thief/assassin oriented character and was hooked. It's being really fun.

So I now feel in the mood to play ESO, which I already had for PC but I grabbed the PS4 version too super cheap. Which platform should I play it on?

I started a High Elf templar on PS4, but kinda feel PC would be better? I have the Ps4 Pro and a 4K tv so it does look quite nice with HDR and 4k.

Any suggestions?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Your level in this game is essentially meaningless until you hit max level and then cp160. Don't be in a rush to level. It's much more important to level up all of your skills. Explore and find skyshards to increase the amount of skill points you have to spend, find lore books to level up your mages guild if you're playing a magicka build, or fight at anchors to level up fighters guild if you're playing stamina build (do both, regardless) At level 1 you can do almost anything in the game with any other player regardless of their level, so there's no point in worrying about how fast you're leveling unless the literal only thing you care about in the game is doing vet trials.

So I now feel in the mood to play ESO, which I already had for PC but I grabbed the PS4 version too super cheap. Which platform should I play it on?

PC version for mods. It's not even a question. If you have access to both, the only reasons you should have for playing on a console are 1. you like sitting on a couch and playing with a controller, 2. you have friends on the consoles and none on PC.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, the addons are so essential that playing the game without it feels so tiring.

Kinda sucks that the other addons are not updated anymore last time I played (that is, pre-Imperial City), like Crafting Stations and MiniMap.

dubq

I have the PC and PS4 versions.. but I had the PS4 one first so it's the one I've spent the most time on. Mainly bought the PC version on sale so that I could get PTS access - hoping for a Morrowind beta invite! :)

Impulsor

Yeah, the addons are so essential that playing the game without it feels so tiring.

Kinda sucks that the other addons are not updated anymore last time I played (that is, pre-Imperial City), like Crafting Stations and MiniMap.

I have the PC and PS4 versions.. but I had the PS4 one first so it's the one I've spent the most time on. Mainly bought the PC version on sale so that I could get PTS access - hoping for a Morrowind beta invite! :)

I started a Dunmer templar on PC, it definitely feels better than playing on PS4, sans the 4K tv. But I do play this on a 34" 3440x1440 monitor so that compensates I guess.

Altmer or Dunmer for templar, btw? I'm set between those two.

EDIT: Forget my question, I'm gonna be a Vamp, so I'll stay Dunmer for the extra fire resistance.

Backlogger

You say that like it's a bad thing :)

I actually sorta had similar feelings about the graphics when I played it on PS4, but I started playing it on PC last week and to me it looks WAY better to me and I am enjoying it a lot more for whatever reason.

Boss Doggie

So question.

Back then when I was playing (pre-Imperial City), my character had finished his Pact storyline and was sent to Covenant. It was when Veteran levels were still a thing. I don't see other players because I take it I'll only see other Pact-doing-reborn players and iirc they're not much, and that the map is scaled towards Veteran players, with mobs being veteran in level.

So take it now, with the One Tamriel update and the abolishment of the Veteran levels, when I finish the storyline and head to the new alliance, I will now see players who are "naturally made for that alliance" there?

PepperedHam

So question.

Back then when I was playing (pre-Imperial City), my character had finished his Pact storyline and was sent to Covenant. It was when Veteran levels were still a thing. I don't see other players because I take it I'll only see other Pact-doing-reborn players and iirc they're not much, and that the map is scaled towards Veteran players, with mobs being veteran in level.

So take it now, with the One Tamriel update and the abolishment of the Veteran levels, when I finish the storyline and head to the new alliance, I will now see players who are "naturally made for that alliance" there?
Yup. Returned to the game today and was logged out in one of my veteran areas, logged back in and there were players of all sorts of levels running around where as before it was a ghost town. Pretty nice to see.

Boss Doggie

Yup. Returned to the game today and was logged out in one of my veteran areas, logged back in and there were players of all sorts of levels running around where as before it was a ghost town. Pretty nice to see.

That's beautiful then. One thing I hated back in veteran areas were the ghost town feel.

Though I guess this kinda makes the "all factions" bonus kinda moot on the crown store?

dubq

So question.

Couldn't you always see the other players in that alliance anyway? I thought the story reason for being able to go there was that you were "shrouded" so that they wouldn't recognize you as a member of an opposing alliance?

Though I guess this kinda makes the "all factions" bonus kinda moot on the crown store?

Not really, alliances still matter for PVP, and you're still limited to specific races for specific alliances regardless of PVE/P (unless you have that add-on). ;)

I actually sorta had similar feelings about the graphics when I played it on PS4, but I started playing it on PC last week and to me it looks WAY better to me and I am enjoying it a lot more for whatever reason.

I started out on PS4 because the PC version didn't support controllers for the longest time. I'd like to switch to PC since they've added support but there's no way I'm starting over with all my characters. A pity they can't be transferred from one platform to another. I'd even be willing to pay a fee to do it.

Dunlop

Just made a new character as I have not played in a LONG time and seeing a bunch of people around. I'm surprised this game isn't more popular, it translated over to console fantastically

Boss Doggie

Couldn't you always see the other players in that alliance anyway? I thought the story reason for being able to go there was that you were "shrouded" so that they wouldn't recognize you as a member of an opposing alliance?

Not really, alliances still matter for PVP, and you're still limited to specific races for specific alliances regardless of PVE/P (unless you have that add-on). ;)

nope, in my experience back then you'd only see high level players/vets of your own alliance iirc, and the enemies are all veterans

at least now with level scaling they've allowed people to help out, feels really good

ahh right, I forgot about those

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just made a new character as I have not played in a LONG time and seeing a bunch of people around. I'm surprised this game isn't more popular, it translated over to console fantastically

It's quite popular.

It's quite popular.

It's in the top 25 most played games on Steam currently (this isn't even including people who play off of the official launcher) and apparently more people play on console than PC. I'm not surprised, honestly. It's an amazing game with a staggering amount of unique content.

That said, the new PTS patch is causing a lot of uproar and rightly so. From what I read, they're basically nuking all forms of resource sustain and specifically targeting Stamina classes with surgical nerfs to key abilities. They even removed some Templar healing passives and abilities and gave them to the new Warden class coming with the Morrowind expansion
How convenient... the new paywall class suddenly looks a lot more appealing to play all of the sudden... odd. #tinfoilhat
so many players are saying they'll be quitting or have already quit. Hell, Deltia (big ESO Youtuber) had a meltdown and then said he was quitting content creation for the game because he was so turned off by what they're proposing to do with the game. Interesting to see what happens going forward, to say the least.

gossi

It's quite popular.

On Xbox One it's listed as the most played Xbox One game still (even a week after the free play event).

The last update we had on player numbers was a year ago, where Zenimax said they had 7 million players. I imagine since then they have more.

The great thing about ESO is everybody think it's this terrible game that nobody plays... And then they actually play it.

Re the community meltdown, it's not the first. A few years ago there was a community meltdown about AOE changes, people said they were quitting if ZOS didn't backtrack, ZOS ignored it, and the game did fine. The people having meltdowns shouldn't even be doing it in public, there's an NDA.

oSoLucky

You're allowed to discuss balance changes to anything in the current game with the partial NDA lift, just not anything related to Morrowind content.

Mahonay

Banned
Bought the game after the free trial and I've been playing this daily. I had just gotten to Skyrim and was just working through quests, and a random guild approached me in town. They offered to help build my character and work towards building me a set of armor. I joined and ran a dungeon a couple times with them. Super nice dudes. Already have way better gear now.

Lol the guy leading them even sent me screenshots of proof that they were legit, which I didn't really need since I don't know what I'm doing anyway.

Boss Doggie

What do hate on this game though is that you can't really sell items unless you shout in zone or belong to a guild with a trader.

LiQuid!

What do hate on this game though is that you can't really sell items unless you shout in zone or belong to a guild with a trader.

I was kind of irritated by this design at first back when I was playing ESO primarily as a single player game. Now that I've given in to this game being an MMO, I really like the way it promotes socializing in a genre that often doesn't anymore. Joining my first trading guild was my gateway into all of the group content. The fact that I got pretty rich from finally being able to sell things was just a bonus.

Bah, missed the digital sale on the PSN so I'm prolly buying the disc version (way cheaper than the digital :| ) although I would rather have it digital.

Is the PS4 version well populated?

dubq

Bah, missed the digital sale on the PSN so I'm prolly buying the disc version (way cheaper than the digital :| ) although I would rather have it digital.

NA server is always hustlin' and bustlin' in my experience.

dubq

I'm EU :p I don't know if server selection is automatic, but I guess playing in a NA server would be higher on lag side

You get to choose when you boot up. I've never tried EU but I follow tons of Instagram accounts that use that server. Seems pretty populated.

Mahonay

Banned

Yeah I missed the sale like a doofus too. Bought the disc on Amazon for like $12-13. Base game has an absolute ton of content. Probably gonna bite on the Morrowind expansion too.

dubq

Ah ok, gotcha! Last thing, if I pre-order Morrowind can I play the base ESO now? Or do I need to wait?

I would love an answer to this too because a friend of mine wants to start playing with me on PC.

I actually have no idea about that one, and it's a very good question. I would hope that logically they would give you access to the base game immediately - especially if it was a digital pre-order where you pay right away. You may need to email or tweet them on that one.

Well, played a few hours last night. I'm enjoying it a lot.

The combat (although the targeting isn't perfect) is fun and dynamic, the quests are typical MMORPG but they seem to have taken some ideas from other games like GW2, because of the dynamic out of nowhere quests.

The storyline seems interesting. The dialogues are really well written. Havent seen this since GW1\GW2.

Was challenged for a 1v1 Duel, of course I was obliterated lol

It seems to be a MMORPG for casual players, like GW2 and opposite of FFXIV (which I enjoyed a lot also, but it really is a time sink), which suits me fine.

Right now I don't know anyone who plays ESO, so if you guys wanna add me or invite me to a Guild:

PSN ID: ChackanKun
EU Server

Edit:

Also, question for PS4 Pro owners with a 4K TV: do you prefer to play in 4K mode or 1080p enhanced mode? Having some trouble deciding between both :p

I actually have no idea about that one, and it's a very good question. I would hope that logically they would give you access to the base game immediately - especially if it was a digital pre-order where you pay right away. You may need to email or tweet them on that one.
++ I want to know too

aka_bueno

Anyone play on PC? I just started playing this and it's just what I was looking for. Would love to join some Gaffers if you guys have a guild to join!

This is the best gamepad controlling MMO I've played, great controls and UI. It's also very casual and single player friendly, the quests are way more engaging than your standard MMO. I think it's the voice acting, I'm just not auto skipping quest texts like I normally do in other MMOs. Well I'll skip some of the lesser side quests, but the main story or bigger side quests have been compelling enough to pay attention what's going on.

dubq

Anyone play on PC? I just started playing this and it's just what I was looking for. Would love to join some Gaffers if you guys have a guild to join!

This is the best gamepad controlling MMO I've played, great controls and UI. It's also very casual and single player friendly, the quests are way more engaging than your standard MMO. I think it's the voice acting, I'm just not auto skipping quest texts like I normally do in other MMOs. Well I'll skip some of the lesser side quests, but the main story or bigger side quests have been compelling enough to pay attention what's going on.

Oh, speaking of side quests.. I do skip a lot of them as well, but I eventually go back to do them if I'm in that area again. A good thing to always check is your Journal > Achievements.. some of those side quests (or the completion of multiple specific sq's) can net you rewards like dye colours or even titles for your character. ;)

Top Bottom