• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited - |OT| - Console edition

OmegaDL50

Just bought the Digital Online version of the game. I grabbed the Gold Edition for PC.

It was 10% at GMG, so I figure with the upcoming Morrowind expansion this would be a good time to jump in.

Does anyone have this game installed on an SSD? Is there a lot of loading involved, or would a standard HDD install be sufficient.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just bought the Digital Online version of the game. I grabbed the Gold Edition for PC.

It was 10% at GMG, so I figure with the upcoming Morrowind expansion this would be a good time to jump in.

Does anyone have this game installed on an SSD? Is there a lot of loading involved, or would a standard HDD install be sufficient.

I've had it installed on both and didn't notice a significant difference. There's a big initial load when you first start it up that is longer after most patches and it's still long on an SSD. The in-game loading is pretty minimal. I say don't waste the SSD space on it.

OmegaDL50

I've had it installed on both and didn't notice a significant difference. There's a big initial load when you first start it up that is longer after most patches and it's still long on an SSD. The in-game loading is pretty minimal. I say don't waste the SSD space on it.

I didn't realize the game was over 50GB anyways. That is far too large to put on my SSD to begin with. So I'll install it to my HDD.

Nodnol

Hey all.

Myself and a group of friends all decided to reinstall the game and jump back in.

I've picked up the monthly subscription to give me some new content to play solo, with the flexibility of cancelling should I get distracted by something else.

I'm level 50, CP 33 ish...what should I be doing for better gear? Crafting? Or is there still stuff in the wild to pick up?

PepperedHam

Hey all.

Myself and a group of friends all decided to reinstall the game and jump back in.

I've picked up the monthly subscription to give me some new content to play solo, with the flexibility of cancelling should I get distracted by something else.

I'm level 50, CP 33 ish...what should I be doing for better gear? Crafting? Or is there still stuff in the wild to pick up?
I'm not a pro as I'm only like CP 30 something myself, but I think I've seen others say to hold off of going hard on gear until you get CP 160. But I'd definitely like some clarification on that too because if that's the case then I'm just going to grind like a mad man and try and blitz 160 as fast as possible. CP 160 is when the gear stops leveling and caps I believe.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Hey all.

Yeah don't bother going out of your way to get gear until CP 160. Just keep doing quests and leveling until you get there and then you can focus on putting a set together. You can start looking into which sets best compliment your race/class now but don't bother farming or crafting anything yet.

Nodnol

Yeah don't bother going out of your way to get gear until CP 160. Just keep doing quests and leveling until you get there and then you can focus on putting a set together. You can start looking into which sets best compliment your race/class now but don't bother farming or crafting anything yet.

Good to know. I'll just enjoy the DLC then and see where I end up!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm... what about the mage class, what's a good mixed gear? Still heavy chest/legs/boots medium arms/head/shoulders light head?

LiQuid!

Hmm... what about the mage class, what's a good mixed gear? Still heavy chest/legs/boots medium arms/head/shoulders light head?

You mean sorcerer? Or magicka DPS? If you're talking about your class, your gear should be based on what role you're playing. If you're playing magicka DPS you want to use 5 light 1 heavy 1 medium. My magplar set is:

5 piece Juliano's (all light, crafted)
5 piece Mother's Sorrow (jewelry + swords ideally but they are expensive AF so I've got axes for now)
Grothdar head and shoulder (one heavy/medium of each)
Any sharpened fire staff for your off bar.

Gotta get that spell crit up as high as possible so go Thief mundus + divines trait on all the gear.

Is there any good source for info on this game (theorycrafting and build information for example) because I couldn't find any sites with a quick Google search. I'm almost positive I am building my character 100% wrong but not sure yet.

LiQuid!

Is there any good source for info on this game (theorycrafting and build information for example) because I couldn't find any sites with a quick Google search. I'm almost positive I am building my character 100% wrong but not sure yet.

Go to Deltia Gaming and check some of the template builds he has there.

You can't really mess up since you can respec everything.

Boss Doggie

You mean sorcerer? Or magicka DPS? If you're talking about your class, your gear should be based on what role you're playing. If you're playing magicka DPS you want to use 5 light 1 heavy 1 medium. My magplar set is:

5 piece Juliano's (all light, crafted)
5 piece Mother's Sorrow (jewelry + swords ideally but they are expensive AF so I've got axes for now)
Grothdar head and shoulder (one heavy/medium of each)
Any sharpened fire staff for your off bar.

Gotta get that spell crit up as high as possible so go Thief mundus + divines trait on all the gear.

Sorceror class, the one with summons and lightning.

So basically go full on squishy with light but save a head and sash for heavy/medium?

OmegaDL50

I want to make a Warrior Mage.

Basically a spell caster that cast spells for long range but uses Sword and Shield in melee.

I guess this probably not an optimal method for a Sorcerer? Does heavy armor have a negative impact on spell casting in ESO?

Four character classes doesn't seem like much, but I guess you have a lot of freedom for customization.

LiQuid!

If you aren't 50cp160 yet don't worry about it and just make sure you max out all 3.

If you're playing magsorc then yes 5 light is pretty mandatory. If you're playing stamsorc all medium is typical with maybe a heavy piece thrown in.

LiQuid!

I want to make a Warrior Mage.

Basically a spell caster that cast spells for long range but uses Sword and Shield in melee.

I guess this probably not an optimal method for a Sorcerer? Does heavy armor have a negative impact on spell casting in ESO?

Four character classes doesn't seem like much, but I guess you have a lot of freedom for customization.

Depends on what you're doing. You could probably make a magicka tank work with Sorcerer so you could use Sword+Shield as well as magic. If you try to DPS with a sword and shield you will likely get kicked out of groups as it's strictly a tanking weapon. Heavy armor is also only used for tanking. If you're doing DPS you should use mostly light for magicka and medium for stamina. I played a magicka tank for a while (templar) and 5 heavy + 2 light armor setup and sword and shield is pretty standard for that.

4 classes (soon to be 5) and each one can play 4 different roles (magicka dps, stamina dps, healer, tank), so it's only 4 classes, but there are 16 different class/role setups you can play among them.

OmegaDL50

I don't plan to do groups that much unless it is absolutely required. I'm treating ESO as mainly a single player experience.

I did some research online and found out you get at least 400+ skill points for leveling up to 50 and doing quests, collecting shards. So I think I'll have more than enough skill points to fill any role really.

I'll make my first character a traditional Sword and Board warrior type to get an understanding for the systems and mechanics. Then branch on to something more exotic after that. I have 8 character slots, so I should be able to come up with my favorite way to play eventually.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't plan to do groups that much unless it is absolutely required. I'm treating ESO as mainly a single player experience.

I did some research online and found out you get at least 400+ skill points for leveling up to 50 and doing quests, collecting shards. So I think I'll have more than enough skill points to fill any role really.

I'll make my first character a traditional Sword and Board warrior type to get an understanding for the systems and mechanics. Then branch on to something more exotic after that. I have 8 character slots, so I should be able to come up with my favorite way to play eventually.

Is it possible to do group dungeons with just two people?

Backlogger

Asking again, anyone playing this on PC? I'm new to the game, would love to play with some GAF.

I'm playing on PC but I'm not very consistent. My Steam name is Backlogger, which I think is also my screen name for ESO...

I am usually on later, around 8-9pm Pacific Time. I've been mostly playing the game solo but if I am on and you are on and you want to run something hit me up.

LiQuid!

Alright but I'll warn you again that sword and shield is terrible DPS, so playing the game solo, monsters are going to be dying really, really slowly. If you're wearing heavy armor while soloing, that compounds it too. There's almost no rational reason to use a sword and shield while leveling other than to level it up if you're going to be tanking in group settings later.

Also it's a mistake to think having a bunch of skills will allow you fill all roles. Filling a role requires a lot of specificity in your build.

If you're doing all this research and haven't even tried the game yet I encourage you to just play the game and experiment with everything before you start finalizing what type of character you want to play. It sounds like you're approaching ESO from a very Elder Scrolls-y way of thinking, with an image of your character in your mind and not what's practical from a gameplay perspective and the leveling and customization in this game is very much not like any other Elder Scrolls game. It's actually unlike every other MMO too. It's its own thing.

Is it possible to do group dungeons with just two people?
It is, but they would need to be decently leveled and kitted with skills and gear. I can solo normal dungeons honestly, but it's not easy. You need to have a capable, self-sustaining tank and a DPS to chew thru a whole mess of HP.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Alright but I'll warn you again that sword and shield is terrible DPS, so playing the game solo, monsters are going to be dying really, really slowly. If you're wearing heavy armor while soloing, that compounds it too. There's almost no rational reason to use a sword and shield while leveling other than to level it up if you're going to be tanking in group settings later.

Also it's a mistake to think having a bunch of skills will allow you fill all roles. Filling a role requires a lot of specificity in your build.

If you're doing all this research and haven't even tried the game yet I encourage you to just play the game and experiment with everything before you start finalizing what type of character you want to play. It sounds like you're approaching ESO from a very Elder Scrolls-y way of thinking, with an image of your character in your mind and not what's practical from a gameplay perspective and the leveling and customization in this game is very much not like any other Elder Scrolls game. It's actually unlike every other MMO too. It's its own thing.

It is, but they would need to be decently leveled and kitted with skills and gear. I can solo normal dungeons honestly, but it's not easy. You need to have a capable, self-sustaining tank and a DPS to chew thru a whole mess of HP.

Thanks.

Also the comments above are interesting.. I might need to branch out from my sword and shield.

Boss Doggie

If you aren't 50cp160 yet don't worry about it and just make sure you max out all 3.

If you're playing magsorc then yes 5 light is pretty mandatory. If you're playing stamsorc all medium is typical with maybe a heavy piece thrown in.

oh right, med doesn't have magika critical

and yeah my sorc isn't yet 50/160, so I guess whatever higher gear he gets I should equip for now?

LiQuid!

Honestly while you're leveling the gear you have on is pretty inconsequential. Just make sure you're equipping a mix so you're leveling all 3 skills up. If you're leveling up in the same area for a while you will start to get sets that drop off bosses and from chests and stuff, so you could get some set bonuses going pretty easily but until you hit CP160 the scaling is generous enough that you don't have to min/max your gear as much.

finalflame

Gold Member
Anyone have any guidance on what the fuck I should be doing ~ Lv.25 with an Imperial Templar if I ultimately wanna be a 1h+shield tank?

Boss Doggie

With that said if I'm stamina focused I guess my ranged is limited only to bow then? Also is there a list of class skilsl that morph into Stamina? Sucks that most are all magika based.

LiQuid!

Anyone have any guidance on what the fuck I should be doing ~ Lv.25 with an Imperial Templar if I ultimately wanna be a 1h+shield tank?

Same as the guidance for anybody that wants to play any role, level up all your skills. Even if you think you won't need them. Don't just use 1 weapon type, max it and then not move to the others. If you're 100% sure you want to be a tank focus on 1h+s, but also level up 2h, resto and destro staves because they can be relevant to tanking too.

Aside from making sure you're leveling up all your skills properly and going out of your way to find as many skill shards as possible, what you do during your initial leveling period doesn't really matter much for end game. Don't worry about your attribute selection, where you put your skill points, none of that shit matters because it's all cheaply respec'd. Just play the game and have fun.

With that said if I'm stamina focused I guess my ranged is limited only to bow then? Also is there a list of class skilsl that morph into Stamina? Sucks that most are all magika based.
Yes for stamina DPS typical rotations have you starting on a bow focused bar to lay down DoT's then switching to dual wield for your primary DPS, then swapping back to bow to reapply as DoTs are falling off, repeat.

Even as a stamina build you're going to have some magicka and since your magicka abilities aren't the primary focus of your DPS you don't need much of it to use whatever magicka based class abilities your build uses. I haven't played stamsorc so I don't know what their bars look like you'd have to consult a guide, but the basic idea of a stamina build is you're focusing more on weapon skills than class skills, so the fact that most class skills don't have a stamina morph is irrelevant.

Dragoshi1

Does anyone know if you buy the digital Morrowind expansion on Gamestop.com, that if it sends you a steam code for the steam version?

And on that matter, what about the crown bundles?

Does anyone know if you buy the digital Morrowind expansion on Gamestop.com, that if it sends you a steam code for the steam version?

And on that matter, what about the crown bundles?

I'm going to wager that the Gamestop code is not for Steam, and is probably meant to be downloaded straight from Bethesda.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Got tired of waiting for the moon cycles in ESO, and decided to get vampirism by going to the shrine in Riften, stripping nude, doing a sexy pose and soliciting vampires through the zone chat.

Kc4g4AR.jpg

QlCU2kL.jpg

esQNGjd.jpg

Had like 6 people there in a matter of minutes. My guy (John Davidson) is an Argonian too, which made it all the more fun.

Boss Doggie

So I decided to learn crafting hirelings in this new char of mine. How will I know that they delivered items?

Got tired of waiting for the moon cycles in ESO, and decided to get vampirism by going to the shrine in Riften, stripping nude, doing a sexy pose and soliciting vampires through the zone chat.

Had like 6 people there in a matter of minutes. My guy (John Davidson) is an Argonian too, which made it all the more fun.

Argonians are the prime folk of Tamriel. Let no one tell you otherwise.

CaLe

Anything I should do to get access tomorrow if I purchased the digital upgrade ? My launcher is not updating.

Thanks

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so how do Warden's work anyway? do you just get a max level one to start the Morrowind stuff? and if so do you get the equivilant skill points as if you had done the story mode until then?

so how do Warden's work anyway? do you just get a max level one to start the Morrowind stuff? and if so do you get the equivilant skill points as if you had done the story mode until then?

Pretty sure you need to start a fresh character as Warden and then relevel them. I really wish they had given you the option to convert a character into a Warden, kind of annoying that I have to regrind to 50.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Pretty sure you need to start a fresh character as Warden and then relevel them. I really wish they had given you the option to convert a character into a Warden, kind of annoying that I have to regrind to 50.

err.... I could swear I had read that wasnt the case. So much so that I kinda bought it with that in mind lol. Hmm.

Rhaknar

I mean, if you find it please post it here because I'd love if that was true.

like, when it was announced, im sure im wrong. guess I should have read more into it. Might refund it then (assuming steam lets you) because I dont think I can do the whole 1-50 trek all over again right now, n ot after doing it 3 times a few months ago.

LiQuid!

Yeah Wardens will start at level 1. Morrowind will have a new way to start a character, in addition to the 3 faction starts currently in game.

Leveling to 50 is so trivial. You can do it in a couple days (hours even, if you have the right gear and exp potions available) it's collecting skyshards and stuff that is the real pain when starting a fresh character.

Top Bottom