• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn |OT| Did you think you were the only one?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Please, release the damn GOTY version already. I wants to play the mega awesome game with all DLCSSSSSS. But i will not buy digital. On disc only, like every other prior bethesda release. Wonder how many dlc they are gonna go before they do it.

Volimar

Please, release the damn GOTY version already. I wants to play the mega awesome game with all DLCSSSSSS. But i will not buy digital. On disc only, like every other prior bethesda release. Wonder how many dlc they are gonna go before they do it.

If it's not out for the holidays this year (and we'd know by now of course) I'm guessing, no sooner than fall of next year.

AEREC

I'm still surprised we never got this. Was hardcore mode disliked by many Fallout players? I loved it.

Me too, I was hoping they expand on it by:

-saving only in towns
-no fast travel
-make cooking useful
-make all caves/dungeons pitch black ( would make torches have a purpose )

GhaleonEB

Me too, I was hoping they expand on it by:

-saving only in towns
-no fast travel
-make cooking useful
-make all caves/dungeons pitch black ( would make torches have a purpose )

Yeah, I really wish there was a hardcore mode in Skyrim. I kinda play one of my own, such as never using fast travel outside of wagons. I'd like to see sleeping become important, along with food, as you said. No fast travel. And I'd have loved for fire or the glowing mushrooms to be the only light sources. I kinda laugh that the Falmer were supposed to have gone blind living down in the caves. How? It's so well lit down there!

Something that has always struck me as odd about Skyrim's clothing and armor designs is how they're not really tailored to fit in with a wintery landscape. Guys in a snowstorm will be wearing a robe, or light armor, or just plain clothes. I kinda expected lots of fur coats and thick padding under armor. Maybe even a system where the where the cold mattered: the further north you go, the colder it is, and the warmer/heavier armor and clothes you had to wear, or your stamina regeneration would become stymied; but heavy clothing slowed movement slightly. (Something like radiation in Fallout 3.) The winter weather is often so pronounced, I just kinda felt like it should affect the gameplay somehow.

It would also defeat the whole purpose of crossbows.

I just wanna get my inner Crackdown on and harpoon guys to walls, really.

CloudWolf

I kinda laugh that the Falmer were supposed to have gone blind living down in the caves. How? It's so well lit down there!
They didn't go blind because they were exiled to the caves, they were poisoned by the Dwemer so they could use the Falmer as slaves.

GhaleonEB

They didn't go blind because they were exiled to the caves, they were poisoned by the Dwemer so they could use the Falmer as slaves.

I didn't know that. I thought I'd read they went blind for other reasons in one of the books in the game. Interesting.

Trickster

I just tried downloading the sharpshooter enb mod. But I can't get it to work by installing it the way it says I'm supposed to do it. Anyone have that mod that can help?

I didn't know that. I thought I'd read they went blind for other reasons in one of the books in the game. Interesting.

No, he's right. The Falmer that were taken in by the Dwemer were only taken in under the condition that they consume a poison every day, one that would slowly rob them of their senses. A lot of them refused, but obviously some didn't. Their descendents are the Falmer we see today.

Yeah, I really wish there was a hardcore mode in Skyrim. I kinda play one of my own, such as never using fast travel outside of wagons. I'd like to see sleeping become important, along with food, as you said. No fast travel. And I'd have loved for fire or the glowing mushrooms to be the only light sources. I kinda laugh that the Falmer were supposed to have gone blind living down in the caves. How? It's so well lit down there!

Something that has always struck me as odd about Skyrim's clothing and armor designs is how they're not really tailored to fit in with a wintery landscape. Guys in a snowstorm will be wearing a robe, or light armor, or just plain clothes. I kinda expected lots of fur coats and thick padding under armor. Maybe even a system where the where the cold mattered: the further north you go, the colder it is, and the warmer/heavier armor and clothes you had to wear, or your stamina regeneration would become stymied; but heavy clothing slowed movement slightly. (Something like radiation in Fallout 3.) The winter weather is often so pronounced, I just kinda felt like it should affect the gameplay somehow.

Yeah, but we're talking about Bethesda here. I don't see them releasing something like that, even though I'd love for them to do so.

I play pretty similarly to you, with one exception: once I buy a horse, I can use that for fast travel instead of carriages. Since the mounted combat mod was introduced I often just rode my horse to where I need to go, but when I didn't feel like traversing half of Skyrim I could still use it as a fast travel machine.

That seems like a really strange choice since the spears at least in the trailer are as big as the player race.

I agree, but that's what I read. Maybe it'll be wrong, I hope so.

Please don't let this turn into one those threads. I feel bad for PS3 Skyrim owners but this thread has a specific purpose so lets try to keep it about Dragonborn.

It's as much Skyrim's OT3 as it is Dragonborn's OT, though.

I haven't played Skyrim in about half a year or so. I stopped playing shortly before the final boss (
I captured a dragon, and it flew me to Alduin's lair
). I want to start playing again, but I'm wondering if I should pick up where I left off or start a new character.

Starting where I left off will be a bit intimidating and confusing, and I'm not that keen on some of the choices I made in terms of combat. I started off by trying to juggle a one-handed weapon, and destruction magic, but realised that it's only worth using destruction magic if you go the whole mile and spec accordingly, as I run out of mana almost immediately. Now I use a one-handed weapon, and healing magic. It serves me well, but I feel like I'm not getting the full experience out of combat.

That said, I made a lot of progress in other things, like sidequests, maxing out Smithing and Enchanting (the latter took a lot of time, and I even got the
Black Star, which allows you to infinitely gather Grand Souls without being destroyed when used
) .

I keep hearing about how fun it is to play stealth-based characters that use daggers and bows, and I'm tempted to start one of those.

GhaleonEB

I play pretty similarly to you, with one exception: once I buy a horse, I can use that for fast travel instead of carriages. Since the mounted combat mod was introduced I often just rode my horse to where I need to go, but when I didn't feel like traversing half of Skyrim I could still use it as a fast travel machine.

I did that for a couple of characters, but my last few used alchemy so much that I found I was skipping my ingredient collection by riding horses everywhere. So I went back to walking or using wagons and piling up ingredients along the way. (I'm trying to uncover all effects through pure experimentation - almost there.)

Though, I do steal horses from the Stormcloak camps I clear out, for good measure, as a farewell gesture to the lone invincible dude in every camp.

Need some help. Playing on PC with a save of around 100 hours and I've been experiencing some small freezing that lasts a few seconds. I used to be able to play fine. It doesn't appear to be a frame rate issue or anything, which is strange. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

hey, since installing Dawnguard none of my mods have worked at all. I have them enabled but the effects don't show up at all.

Here are the only mods I have activated.
OrhFh.png

Need some help. Playing on PC with a save of around 100 hours and I've been experiencing some small freezing that lasts a few seconds. I used to be able to play fine. It doesn't appear to be a frame rate issue or anything, which is strange. Is there anything I can do to solve this?

Try borderless windowed mode.

Look at your save directory, if your saves are over 13-15 MB and you use mods you probably have a save file bloating problem, which can't be solved until you find the responsible mod, disable it and the revert to a save prior it's installation. Either that or you installed some hi-res texture mods/messed up with graphics options/ENB and your system is struggling.

hey, since installing Dawnguard none of my mods have worked at all. I have them enabled but the effects don't show up at all.

OrhFh.png

Usually I'd point you to revise the mod pages and see if there are some compatibility patches available but since it seems you use the workshop... idk.

Mess with the load order maybe and see how it goes.

Mastperf

No, he's right. The Falmer that were taken in by the Dwemer were only taken in under the condition that they consume a poison every day, one that would slowly rob them of their senses. A lot of them refused, but obviously some didn't. Their descendents are the Falmer we see today.

Yeah, but we're talking about Bethesda here. I don't see them releasing something like that, even though I'd love for them to do so.

I agree, but that's what I read. Maybe it'll be wrong, I hope so.

It's as much Skyrim's OT3 as it is Dragonborn's OT, though.
If you want the thread turning into "fuck Bethesda" and "Where's my PS3 dlc, Bethesda?!" then that's your right. I was just trying to help you out and keep the thread on topic.
I'll leave you guys to it then.

If you want the thread turning into "fuck Bethesda" and "Where's my PS3 dlc, Bethesda?!" then that's your right. I was just trying to help you out and keep the thread on topic.
I'll leave you guys to it then.

Skyrim discussion's welcome, but you're right in wanting to keep shit-talking about. The previous thread was never like that, though, so I don't think we'll need to worry that much about it.

Plus, Derrick's banned. :lol

Doodlebug

http://i.imgur.com/OrhFh.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

You could check the descriptions for each mod on the Workshop or Skyrim Nexus to make sure the version you're using is compatible with Dawnguard.

The other thing that springs to mind is a load order issue. You could try adjusting it to:

Skyrim.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Hearthfire.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Chopping block / Wood fires FIX
HD Plants + Herbs
Followers Dont Die!
Faster Vanilla Horses
Invulnerable Unique Horses
Decon's Shadowy Shadowmere

BigDug13

This seems more worth $20 than Dawnguard did. Dawnguard should have been $10.

Borderlands has shown me what expansion DLC is supposed to cost.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, I really wish there was a hardcore mode in Skyrim. I kinda play one of my own, such as never using fast travel outside of wagons.
This game is kinda built around the ability to fast travel, though. I travel on foot for a large majority of the time, but I pretty much NEED to fast-travel on occasion at least. Quests will have you trek the entire length of the map and back sometimes, which takes quite a long time to do on foot. After you do it enough times, it starts getting tedious. Also, its hard not to fill up your inventory on the way to somewhere sometimes, especially if you fight a dragon or something. I'll be damned if I'm turning back around to go home and free up inventory, especially if I'm like halfway there. It wouldn't be so bad if it were easier to sell stuff, but everybody in Skyrim is poor as crap and can rarely afford to buy up all my loot. Its very convenient to be able to just pop back home real quick with fast travel and then go back to roughly where I was.

Doodlebug

This game is kinda built around the ability to fast travel, though. I travel on foot for a large majority of the time, but I pretty much NEED to fast-travel on occasion at least. Quests will have you trek the entire length of the map and back sometimes, which takes quite a long time to do on foot. After you do it enough times, it starts getting tedious. Also, its hard not to fill up your inventory on the way to somewhere sometimes, especially if you fight a dragon or something. I'll be damned if I'm turning back around to go home and free up inventory, especially if I'm like halfway there. It wouldn't be so bad if it were easier to sell stuff, but everybody in Skyrim is poor as crap and can rarely afford to buy up all my loot. Its very convenient to be able to just pop back home real quick with fast travel and then go back to roughly where I was.

I suppose that's part of the "hardcore" experience, having to manage your inventory and plan journeys more efficiently. Carriage services really come into play here.

I use Requiem, which changes almost all gameplay elements to the effect of making the experience more challenging/rewarding, including disabling click-map-to-go fast travel. I wouldn't want to carry lots of gold anyway, since gold with Requiem has weight. I'll be more selective about what I loot, sell it when I return to town, then store the gold itself in a secure place or spend it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just started regular Skyrim. What's the quickest way to make money and buy a house? I have a billion things I have to put into storage. I'm constantly having to throw things away as I explore but inventory gets full really fast.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just started regular Skyrim. What's the quickest way to make money and buy a house? I have a billion things I have to put into storage. I'm constantly having to throw things away as I explore but inventory gets full really fast.

Become Thane of Whiterun is probably the fastest way, but it takes some money. You can glitch out the purchase transaction so you'll get the deed but also get to keep your money. You still need the required amount of gold in your inventory though.

Tobor

Become thane of whiterun, then grind firewood outside the inn until you get the $5k.

soldat7

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'd rather just rebuy the dang game for $59.99 with all the DLC as opposed to spending $40-50 on the DLC.

bengraven

So hyped for this.

They know exactly what the fans are wanting.

I will say though that I barely remember anything about Solstheim. I spent about 5 hours on the island and I don't think I remember much other than the main fort and Raven Rock, so this will be an all new place for me.

I'm kind of sad about that .

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So hearthfire didn't count as the second time exclusive Xbox-360 DLC? I hate this timed exclusive DLC so much.

Superior system doesn't get it the day it comes out and PS3 gets nothing.

Werebears? Waterwalking?
You're the "false Dragonborn" and this ancient guy wants to start something?

Goddamn, Bethesda.

Why couldn't 343 have been this awesome?!

Slermy

If you're a magic user, gain entry to the College of Winterhold. They give you a dorm room on entry, which is effectively a house, AND is free.

I want the new DLC so much, but it will have to wait until after Far Cry 3. I've been on that MUCH longer. According to the rumored achievements there seems to be Ice Armor you can make, sounds awesome.

GhaleonEB

The Radiant quest system and fast travel do sort of go hand in hand. The way I do it is with quest bundling; I'll play in an area for a while, and then identify an area I want to move to next. Maybe for a dungeon, or for a quest, or for loot, or to scour for ingredients and ore for crafting. Or maybe some of each. But I'll pick a route that takes me across a bunch of my active quest goals. So I don't really chase one event after another, I sort of bundle different goals and quests into a journey. And that keeps the on foot travel fresh for me, because I may cross a lot of territory I've done before, but each journey is unique. I'll usually pass by a town along the way where I can at least lighten the load.

(I also leverage the wagon system to at least get close to the start of said journey, to minimize needless time running around.)

I do think the scaling/Radiant quest designs are at odds with a game that doesn't allow fast travel. But I'd be okay with it in a hardcore mode, since that's basically how I play now. (On every character after my first, I have made a bee line for the Steed Stone, which helps when it comes to lugging stuff around.)

If you're a magic user, gain entry to the College of Winterhold. They give you a dorm room on entry, which is effectively a house, AND is free.

The problem with going that far north that early is you encounter far more of the games major side quests at one time then I think Bethesda intended. It gets overwhelming and mess with the players flow.

moojito

Gold adding weight? Seems to me that, just like Fallout, "hard mode" is just more inventory management than anything else.

On a separate note, I encountered that crash when saving bug during the dream state quest. Pretty annoying. It was just after I installed dawn guard as well, so I wrongly attributed it to the dlc. Sorry, dlc!

Top Bottom