• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
You guys are probably right. And there DEFINITELY are hand-placed, unique items. I'm just saying that in my little time with the game I have not encountered any super-good items. That said, I have not ventured far from the areas I am supposed to be in, but items SEEM to scale with my level.

zmoney said:
Einbroch...go find a grouchy person in either orcish or ebony armor and kill them. If they have Umbra then Bethesda has not completely failed me.

Get on this man.

Fine! I'm going super far away into an unknown dungeon tonight. I'll report back.

Saige said:
Why would Bethesda not put unique items back into the game? I thought the main reason they weren’t in Oblivion was because of the level and gear scaling, and didn’t FO3 have a unique version of each gun with set stats?

Fallout 3 did have the non-leveled unique equipment and because of that I have faith they're not going to fuck this up. They have to know what people thought about the constant onslaught of shit equipment found in Oblivion.

Fjordson

It sounds like the unique bow he got scaled to his level, though. No? I might be misunderstanding.\

Edit: Thanks for the info, Einbroch. I guess we'll see.

Wallach

Before you guys go too nuts, understand that item scaling in the same fashion as Oblivion scaling would be pretty illogical. You can't equip high level enemies with low level loot; it's logical enough to assume that loot at the very least has a scaling floor as all the regions do. The question is more about how it affects unique, hand-placed items that are in static locations.

Fjordson said:
It sounds like the unique bow he got scaled to his level, though. No? I might be misunderstanding.
Or maybe he just found an enchanted bow of a low-level material. There could be more powerful stuff hidden in the world.

Fjordson

Blue Ninja said:
Or maybe he just found an enchanted bow of a low-level material. There could be more powerful stuff hidden in the world.
Yeah, too many possibilities for me to freak out. Here's hoping it's at least somewhat resembles FO 3.

Pollux

Einbroch said:
You guys are probably right. And there DEFINITELY are hand-placed, unique items. I'm just saying that in my little time with the game I have not encountered any super-good items. That said, I have not ventured far from the areas I am supposed to be in, but items SEEM to scale with my level.

Fine! I'm going super far away into an unknown dungeon tonight. I'll report back.
OK. But find Umbra. It needs souls and it's your obligation to feed it. Thanks btw.

X26

Banned
Pretty lame if this is the case, honestly kills a lot of the sense of exploration if it still doesn't really matter like in oblivion

zmoney said:
OK. But find Umbra. It needs souls and it's your obligation to feed it. Thanks btw.
I'm seriously wondering if Umbra's in the game after what happened in Lord of Souls. I suppose it will be, but it'd be neat if they acknowledge what happened in the novel.

NBtoaster

As a nitpick, oblivion did have some unique, non levelled items. Mostly from daedric shrines, and a few scattered around the world.

BTW, any sign of new in-game books? I'm hoping there's a decent amount
considering it takes place 200 years after Oblivion (is that a spoiler? I don't know, but I'll be careful anyway).

Derrick01 said:
Where's that community manager from Beth? I'm sure he can clear this up.

Peter Hines? Well, here is a link to his Twitter:
http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon

This is seriously worrying me about Skyrim. Granted, even if it is true, I will still love and enjoy the game, but this is a huge aspect that will test if Bethesda has learned from their mistakes from Oblivion.

Yeah, I am not sure either about Umbra. The novels seem to suggest that it cannot be in the game, but who knows. It has been 160 years since the novels, so a lot can change.

Pollux

Blue Ninja said:
I'm seriously wondering if Umbra's in the game after what happened in Lord of Souls. I suppose it will be, but it'd be neat if they acknowledge what happened in the novel.
I didn't read the book so if you could explain? Or PM me if you don't want to post spoilers. Also wtf happened to Morrowind?
destroyed??!?!?!!?

Maybe if you have to restore Umbra to it's previous state or something as a side quest....?

DTKT

Arf, I hate item scaling. It kills any sense of exploration and unknown.

Barf. I might just wait for mods to fix that. It killed Oblivion for me.

Pollux

joseph1594 said:
Peter Hines? Well, here is a link to his Twitter:
http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon

This is seriously worrying me about Skyrim. Granted, even if it is true, I will still love and enjoy the game, but this is a huge aspect that will test if Bethesda has learned from their mistakes from Oblivion.

Yeah, I am not sure either about Umbra. The novels seem to suggest that it cannot be in the game, but who knows. It has been 160 years since the novels, so a lot can change.
If they haven't I'll be incredibly disappointed.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Oh, man. The Daedric Cresent? You just took me back with that one.

I refuse to believe they went back to Oblivion style loot scaling. I swear this is the one single point that I've been listening to every Todd Howard interview for, and I'm positive he said unique, non-scaled rare loot is back.

Keep in mind that Morrowind had a TON of junk loot, most dungeons just had stuff that was barely better than what you have, with light enchantments and the like. The unique stuff was often quest rewarded, fought for, or part of a unique dungeon that was pretty much a sidequest on its own.

zethren

Banned
zmoney said:
Maybe if you have to restore Umbra to it's previous state or something as a side quest....?

I would highly endorse this side quest.

"Here, take this broken shard that once was Umbra. Feed it 150 souls to restore it to it's former glory. Oh, and they must be 150 innocent souls."

And 150 townsfolk never saw the dawn of the next day.

Pollux

PhilipDoesMatter said:
20 hours + here as a Magicka High Elf. Pretty awesome. Loving Crafting and Enchanting... and the dragons!
Read the previous questions we've been asking on the last 2 pages about unique items....PLEASE GET BACK TO US!!!?????

Yo Gotti said:

I refuse to believe they went back to Oblivion style loot scaling. I swear this is the one single point that I've been listening to every Todd Howard interview for, and I'm positive he said unique, non-scaled rare loot is back.

Keep in mind that Morrowind had a TON of junk loot, most dungeons just had stuff that was barely better than what you have, with light enchantments and the like. The unique stuff was often quest rewarded, fought for, or part of a unique dungeon that was pretty much a sidequest on its own.

Daedric Crescent was easily my favorite weapon of ANY TES game. It was just so damn unique. If they have a single weapon like that in Skyrim I'll forgive no unique items and scaling loot. Ok that's an exaggeration but it would really lessen the blow.

So perfect...
crescent.jpg

zethren said:
Perhaps Bootaaay could shed some light on this particular subject, having had more hours logged into the game?

I haven't found any properly unique items (Sword of White Woe, etc) as of yet, but have found a few weapons higher than my level - a mace with frost damage that I used for a while, and an elven bow I stole near the start and haven't yet found any bow better than (I'm level 7 at the moment).

Yo Gotti said:
How are the enemies?

Are you running into dungeons that are above your level at all or has everything you've come across been pretty doable?

Haven't encountered much variation in the enemies so far, mostly bandits, wolves, rat things and draugrs. Most of the dungeons have been quite doable with a handful of potions, but one I had quite a bit of trouble with and had to run out of the dungeon to recover.

As a random aside, the sky at night is really beautiful;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0081.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0086.jpg

zethren

Banned
PhilipDoesMatter said:
20 hours + here as a Magicka High Elf. Pretty awesome. Loving Crafting and Enchanting... and the dragons!

What's the verdict on unique/scaling items that you've noticed?

Everyone here is dying to find out...lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I thought it was already confirmed that both loot and enemy scaling for dungeons is pulled from Fallout 3? (certain dungeons scale from set levels). So early dungeons would be 1-5 (if you enter said dungeon at level 2 it would be set at level two, if you enter it at level 6 it'd be a level 5 variant). My guess is you'd have to travel far out to hit the higher level dungeons.

Dead Man

Yo Gotti said:

Yeah, not panicking yet. I am interested to see what people discover over longer play times, but every interview seemed clear with their intention to have uniques and non scaled loot.

zethren

Banned
Bootaaay said:
I haven't found any properly unique items (Sword of White Woe, etc) as of yet, but have found a few weapons higher than my level - a mace with frost damage that I used for a while, and an elven bow I stole near the start and haven't yet found any bow better than (I'm level 7 at the moment).

Okay, thanks for the input. :)

Shocked.gif

JoeBoy101

Bootaaay said:

Yeah, I don't think people should panic about this just yet. Concern is reasonable, but panic is a bit overboard given the little information we have right now on the matter.

GarthVaderUK said:
http://kotaku.com/5835394/five-more-...nd-other-stuff

Happy happy joy joy!

That's just Todd saying it. Still, its heartening.

Wallach

Yo Gotti said:

It wouldn't even work with the FO3 style level scaling. At the worst it might be married to level scaling but given how FO3 itemization worked I would be surprised if even that was the case.

Grassy

Derrick01 said:
Yeah this is a real kick in the balls and hype deflater if it's true. Level scaling and loot scaling are the 2 most egregious and outrageous things from Oblivion. I'm a little sour about other RPG elements being cut but I can deal with that, but loot scaling is unacceptable.

Going back a fair way I know, but I am certain there was a mod for Oblivion within the first few days of release(day one even?) that fixed level-scaling of loot. No help to console users of course, but IF loot is scaled I'm sure it won't take long for it to be fixed for PC users anyway.

Pollux

GarthVaderUK said:
Yea I'll believe it when I find a unique non-scaled level item on my own or it is corroborated by a GAFer. Todd Howard says a lot of things.

Grassy said:
Going back a fair way I know, but I am certain there was a mod for Oblivion within the first few days of release(day one even?) that fixed level-scaling of loot. No help to console users of course, but IF loot is scaled I'm sure it won't take long for it to be fixed for PC users anyway.
That's not the fucking point though. They shouldn't make a game that NEEDS to be modded to be playable.

Here's another one, Google is a fantastic thing:
5) Are loot and quest rewards level scaled, like in Oblivion? Will there be any powerful un-scaled items?

Bruce: We’re handling leveling stuff similar to how we did in Fallout 3, but with a few new twists that we hope players won’t even notice. The enemies and loot are based on the “encounter zone” you’re in, so it could be higher or lower level than your current level. We do have a new concept of epic or “special” loot that you can randomly find in many cases, regardless of the zone, and you will still get better stuff in the better zones with your level higher. Same goes for quest rewards. We try to make them appropriate for what you did. Sometimes that is random, sometimes that is a set item. There’s a lot of specific stuff that is very powerful, like the Daedric artifacts."
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1207390-skyrim-fan-interview/

Yo Gotti

Banned
zmoney said:
Where there ANY items like Sword of White Woe, Daedric Crescent, Black Hand's Dagger, etc.

I don't know about the Sword of White Woe, but to get the Daedric Crescent you had to kill one of the hardest Daedra in the game, to get the Black Hands Dagger you had to get really far in the Assassins Guild.

I doubt many people have gotten that far yet.

Derrick01

Banned
zethren said:
lol momentary meltdown.

I was ready to explode. Still extremely cautious as I don't take PR quotes from Bethesda as 100% truth. They've lied/over exaggerated before. On the surface it doesn't seem like it's as bad as Oblivion's but we just don't know yet.

zmoney said:
I didn't read the book so if you could explain? Or PM me if you don't want to post spoilers. Also wtf happened to Morrowind?
destroyed??!?!?!!?

The two are kinda interwoven. Here's a short summary if you don't want to read the book.

About Morrowind:
Remember the Ministry of Truth hanging over Vivec? That was a meteorite from Oblivion that Vivec had stopped in its tracks. However, because of the events of Morrowind (the game), Vivec's power had dimished and he had disappeared, and the Ministry became unstable again. The Dunmer created a device to keep it aloft called an "Ingenium", but the problem with the Ingenium was that it was fueled by souls. In order to get souls, you need to kill people. One of those people was the lover of a Dunmer called Sul. Sul tried to save her, failed, but in so doing removed the Ingenium's power source. The Ingenium's power transported itself, its creator and Sul to Oblivion, but the Ministry crashed into Vivec, destroying it. The shockwave of that event caused Red Mountain to erupt, so all of Vvardenfell (and a large part of the mainland) was covered in lava and ashes. Then, to make matters worse, the Argonians invaded because they were tired of being pushed around. They drove the Dunmer from the south, and sent 'em scattering in all directions.

About Umbra:
The city of Umbriel was created by, as the name implies, the being called Umbra, which escaped from the sword prior to that. Because the sword no longer had a 'presence' in it to maintain it, it became completely fucked up, turning everyone who wielded it mad as a bicycle. It came into the possession of a Nord landowner on Solstheim, whose son went insane after he took the sword in his hand. They locked him up in a vault beneath the castle, but the sheer fury of the sword kept the guy going long after he had died. Two of the main characters (including the aforementioned Sul) manage to kill him and retrieve the sword and ultimately manage to use it on Umbriel/Umbra, or more specifically, the Ingenium fueling the city, making it extremely unstable. Clavicus Vile then tries to reclaim the sword, but it evaporates after absorbing so many souls. It's unclear if Vile reclaimed it or if it was just utterly destroyed.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fjordson said:
These quotes are making me feel better.
Making me feel worse.

I need bad news guys. I need something terrible to take the edge off and make me pleasantly forget about the game until release.

Pollux

Yo Gotti said:
I don't know about the Sword of White Woe, but to get the Daedric Crescent you had to kill one of the hardest Daedra in the game, to get the Black Hands Dagger you had to get really far in the Assassins Guild.

I doubt many people have gotten that far yet.
Just realized I didn't finish my sentence lol. I meant were there any items like that in Oblivion?

Pollux

Blue Ninja said:
The two are kinda interwoven. Here's a short summary if you don't want to read the book.

About Morrowind:
Remember the Ministry of Truth hanging over Vivec? That was a meteorite from Oblivion that Vivec had stopped in its tracks. However, because of the events of Morrowind (the game), Vivec's power had dimished and he had disappeared, and the Ministry became unstable again. The Dunmer created a device to keep it aloft called an "Ingenium", but the problem with the Ingenium was that it was fueled by souls. In order to get souls, you need to kill people. One of those people was the lover of a Dunmer called Sul. Sul tried to save her, failed, but in so doing removed the Ingenium's power source. The Ingenium's power transported itself, its creator and Sul to Oblivion, but the Ministry crashed into Vivec, destroying it. The shockwave of that event caused Red Mountain to erupt, so all of Vvardenfell (and a large part of the mainland) was covered in lava and ashes. Then, to make matters worse, the Argonians invaded because they were tired of being pushed around. They drove the Dunmer from the south, and sent 'em scattering in all directions.

About Umbra:
The city of Umbriel was created by, as the name implies, the being called Umbra, which escaped from the sword prior to that. Because the sword no longer had a 'presence' in it to maintain it, it became completely fucked up, turning everyone who wielded it mad as a bicycle. It came into the possession of a Nord landowner on Solstheim, whose son went insane after he took the sword in his hand. They locked him up in a vault beneath the castle, but the sheer fury of the sword kept the guy going long after he had died. Two of the main characters (including the aforementioned Sul) manage to kill him and retrieve the sword and ultimately manage to use it on Umbriel/Umbra, or more specifically, the Ingenium fueling the city, making it extremely unstable. Clavicus Vile then tries to reclaim the sword, but it evaporates after absorbing so many souls. It's unclear if Vile reclaimed it or if it was just utterly destroyed.

Cool. Thanks man. Always wondered about that thing in Morrowind lol, never seemed like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom