• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

kharma45

I had the same framerate issue. It got choppy always when that Briarheart dude found me. Same place, same enemy. Other than that I've had no problems. My game time was about 30-40 hours at that point. Solved the problem by sniping him from the hill. Somehow it didn't get choppy when I was up on the mountain.

That looks more like what happened to my game once on the PC. There was this guy who tagged along to help clear out a dungeon. When the quest finished, he stayed on the same spot, I guess the path tracking bugged out on him. If I talked to him the framerate was smooth, but once I started walking anywhere the framerate was exactly like in your video. Once I got out of the dungeon the framerate went back to normal. This happened like on my 6th save over 100 hours of play, so it wasn't something permanent.

Yeah, I've only had it happen once in one dungeon. Framerate slowly got worse till it was unplayable. A reboot fixed it completely and it's been fine for me since.

That's not too bad then, mine went away too with a reboot. Was wondering if it was gonna be the first sign of problems like the PS3 version for the game.

Forsworn quest is completely broken for me. Can't do it. :(

Tried everything but
The guards refuse to take me in and frame me. They always attack me and I end up having to kill every guard in Markath or leave the town, never to return. Motherfuckers even sent a decked out bounty hunter after me I had such a high bounty on my head.
I've since saved just before the breaking point and hope I don't accidentally run back into that area, lest the whole game become fucked again.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, I've only had it happen once in one dungeon. Framerate slowly got worse till it was unplayable. A reboot fixed it completely and it's been fine for me since.

I get it on the 360 every now and again (say every town or new area load) but when it happens I just stand still and it usually corrects itself within a few seconds. I think it doesn't like too much movement or strain whilst it's loading or something.

panda21

i have a question, will spoiler but i'm about 8/9 hours in so hopefully a lot of people are well past that:

i've been doing most of the side stuff as well as the main quest line, i've got to the quest where you are getting Jurgen wind caller's horn and you go to the place and theres a note saying 'lol i took ur horn, meet me somewhere'.

but it seems almost all the quests are just going into tombs full of daughrs, and I found a silver greatsword that can one hit them.

this makes the quests mostly just a case of running up to each daughr in turn and whacking them, and watching them rag doll and go flying. its getting kind of boring.

is there any more variation in the quests and enemies than this? it seems like the only things that pose a threat to me now are the random dragons and frost trolls.

nib95

Banned
i have a question, will spoiler but i'm about 8/9 hours in so hopefully a lot of people are well past that:

i've been doing most of the side stuff as well as the main quest line, i've got to the quest where you are getting Jurgen wind caller's horn and you go to the place and theres a note saying 'lol i took ur horn, meet me somewhere'.

but it seems almost all the quests are just going into tombs full of daughrs, and I found a silver greatsword that can one hit them.

this makes the quests mostly just a case of running up to each daughr in turn and whacking them, and watching them rag doll and go flying. its getting kind of boring.

is there any more variation in the quests and enemies than this? it seems like the only things that pose a threat to me now are the random dragons and frost trolls.

Unfortunately a large chunk of the game and missions are quite boring like that. I'd recommend mixing it up with guilds or missions that don't require sword play or general combat. For example, Thieves Guild. Then there's quite a few quests where you have to investigate murders etc, I always find those fun.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Dragon Priest hunting is harder than I thought it'd be. For over the last 10 hours of my game I've been solely hunting Dragon Priests by following clues for dungeons that may have Shouts. So far I've only found 1. >:-/

On the positive side I've gotten a ton of shouts, and leveled up a bunch, but still I want my damn masks.

360 version is much choppier post patch. I had a good 5 second period where it was down to 4-5 frames per second. I haven't played the game much in the past couple days due to the frame drops. I haven't had it slow down permanently though, only a few seconds at a time.

Kikarian

I'm not sure whether to stick to master difficulty. It can be fun but very annoying. It does make the game better though. Harder mobs, just makes the immersion better.

Untracked

That's not too bad then, mine went away too with a reboot. Was wondering if it was gonna be the first sign of problems like the PS3 version for the game.

I get it on the 360 every now and again (say every town or new area load) but when it happens I just stand still and it usually corrects itself within a few seconds. I think it doesn't like too much movement or strain whilst it's loading or something.

Here's a video of my issues (possible Thieves Guild quest location/enemy spoilers). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH5XugtIjO8

It got worse than this, killing blows to enemies would pause the game for several seconds, but the reboot fixed it and I've played for 10 hours since with no problems.

KuroNeeko

Just curious but what are the merits of using bound weaponry? I'm starting to finally get an idea of what kind of character I want to make and have settled on a Khajit or Argonian "Soul Stealer."

Mostly based on Stealth, Archery, Conjuration, and Enchanting. I'll probably splash in some lockpicking for increased loot and / or pickpocketing...

Anyway, the idea of being able to conjure my weapons seems cool, but at the same time it seems like it'd cut down on the thrill of finding "that phat loot." Same as enchanting, once you've got a weapon and a set of armor down - do you really need to enchant anything else? I'll probably just steal souls and then inset them into jewelry for goth kitty / lizard.

Yeah, so anyone out there using the bounded weaponry? Is it worth using? Is it too good to the point of not needing anything else? Thoughts?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Those mages annoy me so much, i have no trouble killing anything melee, in fact they're all super easy, but casters? Damn, they are the only guys that force me to actually use potions, even on 1 vs 1. Maybe i should get rid of all these + Two handed and + bow damage enchants and just use magic resist enchants...

OH. Wait.

Those enchants do not work anymore right?

Kikarian

Those mages annoy me so much, i have no trouble killing anything melee, in fact they're all super easy, but casters? Damn, they are the only guys that force me to actually use potions, even on 1 vs 1. Maybe i should get rid of all these + Two handed and + bow damage enchants and just use magic resist enchants...

OH. Wait.

Those enchants do not work anymore right?

Yup, they don't work anymore :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I went through my first Dwarven dungeon the other day. Definitely unique with the obvious unique enemies.

Regarding mages, yes they are annoying. They sap and do some crazy things but luckily I'm strong enough to be able to withstand the onslought with the help of potions.

Got a 2 handed Khajit with 2 handed wep and moderate healing powers. I rely on some novice destruction when I use heal to keep things going on the offensive. I've been spending most of my perks on enchanting and smithing. Starting to pay off as of about level 28. I'm now 33.

ShinNL

Just curious but what are the merits of using bound weaponry? I'm starting to finally get an idea of what kind of character I want to make and have settled on a Khajit or Argonian "Soul Stealer."

Mostly based on Stealth, Archery, Conjuration, and Enchanting. I'll probably splash in some lockpicking for increased loot and / or pickpocketing...

Anyway, the idea of being able to conjure my weapons seems cool, but at the same time it seems like it'd cut down on the thrill of finding "that phat loot." Same as enchanting, once you've got a weapon and a set of armor down - do you really need to enchant anything else? I'll probably just steal souls and then inset them into jewelry for goth kitty / lizard.

Yeah, so anyone out there using the bounded weaponry? Is it worth using? Is it too good to the point of not needing anything else? Thoughts?
Bound weapons are great and since you're a conjurer, you can summon stuff as well. I'd say bound weapons are very balanced in damage output, I have been using a Bound Sword for the first 40 levels. Once I got my over-upgraded Daedric Sword I was wrecking stuff up badly, so instead of that I usually went with 1 Daedric Dagger + 1 Bound Sword (dual wield) to balance it out. Don't forget that 2-handed and 1-handed perks help the damage output, so a well trained One Handed Sword + Bound Sword can beat pretty much anything in game, without feeling way too overpowered but still powerful. Only over-smithing will make the bound weapons pale.

Bound Bow looks mighty fine by the way, and I like how it uses bound arrows, basically free arrows :D
I don't have any Archery perks so my damage output with Bound Bow is kinda bad, but I'd imagine it will suffice enough to steal souls from the shadows if you do get the perks.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now

Tried everything but
The guards refuse to take me in and frame me. They always attack me and I end up having to kill every guard in Markath or leave the town, never to return. Motherfuckers even sent a decked out bounty hunter after me I had such a high bounty on my head.
I've since saved just before the breaking point and hope I don't accidentally run back into that area, lest the whole game become fucked again.

Sheathe your weapons?

MrSerrels

Alright spoilers and stuff. but I think I may have just ruined the game for myself. :(

I just got the elder scroll, thought, oh I'll go and learn Dragon Rend, that probably won't be too near the final battle, then I'll go and do some other stuff.

I'm at about level 16.

All of a sudden a wild Alduin appears. Now I'm supposed to fight him. It's ludicrously difficult. Clearly I'm not at that level yet.

But I don't want to leave and play other side quests, because that feels too pointless and grindy now.

Bleh. Nerd world problems. I was really enjoying it up to now. Wasn't going crazy on side quests, but I wasn't ignoring them either. Feels like I'm being punished for following the narrative of the game instead of ignoring it.

Am I being crazy for going towards the Alduin battle at the thoat of the world at level 16? Have I blasted through the main quest too quickly?

Double D

Question about smithing. Will I be able to make some pretty great stuff just by leveling up smithing and not using perks in that category? I really don't want to waste perks there but I'd like to make some cool shit.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Am I being crazy for going towards the Alduin battle at the thoat of the world at level 16?
Have I blasted through the main quest too quickly?

Main Quest is really just filler for the most part, here and it was in Oblivion. Oblivion could be beat in a few hours, I think Skyrim is under three hours. No, really.

These games want you to go explore the world, the main quest doesn't force you to do that, and it's better for it, anyway. If you were forced to do a half dozen subquests to finish the main quest it would be too taxing.

I have barely even done the main quest, I want to find all the shouts and have all sorts of powers before I even tackle it, and I think that's how it "should" be done.

edit: Vik_Vaughn, some perks double your stats if I recall correctly. I know there's a 25% enchantment boost on the enchantment side. I haven't done much smithing, been focusing on enchants since drooped loot tends to be a high leve at this point in the game.

Monocle

Question about smithing. Will I be able to make some pretty great stuff just by leveling up smithing and not using perks in that category? I really don't want to waste perks there but I'd like to make some cool shit.
Nope, you can't make anything good without smithing perks. Your crafting options are directly tied to them. The heavy armor perks (on the right side of smithing skill tree) are well worth the investment though. Make sure you get perks for enchanting too. The skill for putting two enchantments on an item is amazing.

Meier

Is it safe to finally install the disc on the 360 and patch it? I read about resistances getting nuked and all that and haven't played it lately but I am jonesing. :(

Lothars

So I encountered my first quest bug last night, I was doing the thieves guild and was suppose to go to a stone when I got there, the npc wasn't there so I looked it up and found that you have to redo the previous quest, I did and found the NPC but all she says is hmm and won't talk to me, does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe the quest that is bugged is called trinity restored.

Bisnic

I've had 2 miscellaneous quests for a long time... 1 Flawless Sapphire and 1 Gold Ore are this rare?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've had 2 miscellaneous quests for a long time... 1 Flawless Sapphire and 1 Gold Ore are this rare?

You can easily make infinite gold ores out of iron ores if you have that one magic spell. Flawless gems are a bit more rare though.

pringles

Dragon Priest hunting is harder than I thought it'd be. For over the last 10 hours of my game I've been solely hunting Dragon Priests by following clues for dungeons that may have Shouts. So far I've only found 1. >:-/
I'm 70+ hours in, lvl 42, and I don't even know what a dragon priest is.. I also haven't joined the Mage's Guild, only did like one quest in the Companions, have done maybe 3 quests in the Thieves Guild, not joined the Dark Brotherhood and only just been to the Greybeards in the Main Quest.

What I've been doing? I don't know, feels like nothing. But I did get the achievement for both Side Quests (10) and Miscellaneous Quests (50 I think). And I'm getting sort of tired of the game, which sucks since 90% of the actual main-game (quilds and MQ) are still ahead of me.

if you could sort the most important skills from 1 to 10 which would they be (especially for me who uses a bit of magic and a lot of one handed weapons)

AEREC

Question about Lydia, does she stop being a follower if you choose the stormcloak storyline and go through the whiterun battle?

No...she will still be your housecarl after the battle.
The battle really only just changes the city guards and the Jarl

bengraven

could I console command my way through the thieves guild by chance?

I did it last night. A certain character got stuck in the water (anyone who's played the game will know, since it's the last quest). Since the character is essential, she just swam and swam and swam and I waited and "setessential" wasn't working for some reason...I was going to kill her and drag her to shore, but I couldn't turn off her essential status. Ugh.

Finally cheated and forced the console to finish the quest.

AEREC

On the positive side I've gotten a ton of shouts, and leveled up a bunch, but still I want my damn masks.

140+ hours in with one character and Ive only found 2 Dragon Preists and 1 was part of the main storyline.

Havent seen any clues to there whereabouts though.

ShinAmano

I need help...I have a full set of Dragon Armor that is pretty beast at stopping melee damage...magic is another story...what do I need to do in order to stand up to magic?

Tried everything but

I have had that issue too. Only rarely does one attack me though.

Bisnic

I need help...I have a full set of Dragon Armor that is pretty beast at stopping melee damage...magic is another story...what do I need to do in order to stand up to magic?

Hope that Bethesda fix magic resistance in the next patch.

Until then, stack those healing potions.

ShinAmano

Hope that Bethesda fix magic resistance in the next patch.

Until then, stack those healing potions.

Is it broken?

I walked into a cave to find a book for a quest (seemed like a low level quest) and ran into a bunch of powerful magic users...they were killing me before I knew what was happening -_-

bengraven

78 hours and I've finished the Companions, Thieves and DB. I actually waited until the 60+ mark to even touch those quests, so that's saying something.

Now I sit back and enjoy my occasional random assassination contract or numbers job.

Speaking of which, I wish the quests were a bit more detailed. Walking into a house and killing a snow lion that's standing right inside the door is kind of old. Give me a bit more variety. I had a lion quest spawn on me inside the house in Riverwood. Ralof was there and was sitting at the table. "Hey, why are you coming in here armed?" he asked, despite the 2000 pound fucking sabertooth tiger a few feet from him.

Meier

Is it broken?

I walked into a cave to find a book for a quest (seemed like a low level quest) and ran into a bunch of powerful magic users...they were killing me before I knew what was happening -_-

New patch apparently removed all resistances from the game even if they're reporting that the user has them. :\

Can anyone confirm if the texture bug was fixed for installing on the 360 though?

Anyone else been getting frame rate issues on 360 now too? (sorry if this has been discussed already).

http://youtu.be/uLkd4dtCGB0?hd=1

Only about 26 hours so far on that game save.

I had crippling framerate drop at about 40 hours in doing one of the final Thieves Guild missions where
you hunt down Mercer in that Dwemner ruin
. The game chugged to such an unplayable state I just had to turn it off.

Thankfully when I powered back up, it was running like normal and I was able to beat that area. But, while playing it, it was completely unplayable.

Lakitu

st5fu
What the fuck.

I'm being attacked by Jaree-Ra every time I enter Solitude and I can't kill him because he is a quest giver. Now I'm fucked, every time I walk around I'll have that stupid idiot trying to kill me. This is all because I messed around Solitude yesterday with Wabbajack and Sanguine Rose, but I didn't save it yet the game still recognises Jaree-Ra as being hostile. This is bullshit.

What the fuck.

I'm being attacked by Jaree-Ra every time I enter Solitude and I can't kill him because he is a quest giver. Now I'm fucked, every time I walk around I'll have that stupid idiot trying to kill me. This is all because I messed around Solitude yesterday with Wabbajack and Sanguine Rose, but I didn't save it yet the game still recognises Jaree-Ra as being hostile. This is bullshit.

That's odd. That being said, Jaree-Ra is a bitch. His quest was enjoyable, but short and not game changing or anything.

Kurtofan

for some reason I thought Louis was out in the middle of nowhere outside of Riften... North East of Riften, I guess, near the Black Briar Manor.

Thanks, for some reason I can't pinpoint him on the map.

Edit:Still can't find him, I killed the horse, didn't seem to be that important anyway.

Lakitu

st5fu
That's odd. That being said, Jaree-Ra is a bitch. His quest was enjoyable, but short and not game changing or anything.

Yeah I remember I heard him but couldn't find him anywhere. It's just so frustrating, I'm sheathing but he won't let up. He doesn't do any damage on me and I can't kill him so we're stuck in an endless cycle of him running around trying to shank me while I'm minding my own business. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

danwarb

Haven't had any slowdown on the 360 yet. Level 36 and game saves don't seem to be getting bigger than ~9mb.

Still amazed by how smooth this game runs, after console Oblivion.

kodt

Banned
Yeah I remember I heard him but couldn't find him anywhere. It's just so frustrating, I'm sheathing but he won't let up. He doesn't do any damage on me and I can't kill him so we're stuck in an endless cycle of him running around trying to shank me while I'm minding my own business. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Maybe a high level calm spell will work.

are dragon priests story related? i don't think i've met one yet. or do you mean those guys wearing
masks
? if so, i've killed two of them so far.

TheContact

Tried everything but

Broken for me too.
After entering the Temple of Talos and seeing the dead girl there, the guards wouldn't take me to jail but instead kept attacking me. I don't know what to do, I killed so many guards thinking it was part of the quest and now I'm like a mass murderer in Markoth.
My wife is in Markoth too with my house so I can't go back there unless I get my Illusion high enough to go invisible or something.

Top Bottom