• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

From the gaming side thread:

TmAuho.gif

Yeah. Pretty much.

Amazing. Beautifully done.

RPGCrazied

Damn... this game is huge. I've barely did any of the story, I still have to talk with the greybeards and I'm already 30 hours into the game. lol

RPGCrazied

I finally spoke to them this past weekend, and I'm approaching 100 hours. Lots to do.

Yeah. I've already killed several dragons. I've joined the imperials, almost done with the thieves questline, I'm in the middle of the Dark Botherhood stuff, I don't know if I'll do the mage stuff, since I'm really not a mage character.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Damn... this game is huge. I've barely did any of the story, I still have to talk with the greybeards and I'm already 30 hours into the game. lol

Main quest line is okay, but I really enjoy the long side quest and just exploring / dungeon diving. On my new characters, I almost always ignore the 'main quest' line after the dragon fight at Whiterun.

As for those long quest lines (mage college, brotherhood, thieves guild, bards), I divided them up between characters. It let me play as other types of characters (like my awesome Brawler Khajiit for Thieves Guild, Breton Battle Mage for the college, etc), where it wouldn't seem quite right having my bard also as a member of the Dark Brotherhood. :p

Cake Boss

Banned
Ok I just got the game and its pissing the fuck off with this golden claw side mission because of the pillars. They wont activate at all. Is it a bug or something. WTF.

They only activated once and that was the time I died in, so I had to reload and they wont even move.

GhaleonEB

Ok I just got the game and its pissing the fuck off with this golden claw side mission because of the pillars. They wont activate at all. Is it a bug or something. WTF.

They only activated once and that was the time I died in, so I had to reload and they wont even move.

I had that happen to me once. Backtrack out of the dungeon, and then go back in. That should reset them.

CloudWolf

I finally finished the main quest. I had to do Skuldavn the pussy way (kill one enemy, hide in a tower to regain health, kill another enemy, hide, etc.). My character simply couldn't handle six Draugr Deathlords at the same time. Anyway, it felt good to finally kill Alduin together with my dead Nord buddies.

By the way, are Alduin and Odahviin supposed to be overpowered as fuck? One fire attack from them was enough to instantly kill me...

So I tried to jump back in this weekend (again) and I have successfully completed 4 Daedric quests in only about 3 hours. I need 4 more to get the achievement. I'm really dreading having to do the Thieves Guild achievement.

Edit:

FUUUUUCK. So I just completed my 15th Daedric quest and the achivement didn't pop, because I apparently took the Rueful Axe by mistake a long time ago and didn't realize. I've gone back to old saves, and I did the quest when I was such a low level that it would be a tremendous time sink, that I just don't have, to re-do everything again. I really feel like this just sucked all the enjoyment I was having with this game again right out of my sails. Oh well, I guess i'll have to wait for the DLC now. This sucks.

That feeling when you get sucked back in. Been playing my Wood Elf Archer/Thief/Dual Daggers lately, and it is fuuuuuuuun. The arrow killcams enhance the experience too. I love this game.

Trying out the Kinect commands. Some of them work fine, but on the whole, they seem to suffer a lot from interference. Shouting especially seems to work like shit, my current character only has one 'Fus' but I usually have to say it ninety times before it actually hears it. Equipping weapons is a mixed bag, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The quick menus are handy, though, as is quicksaving and quickloading.

All in all, not impressed.

Hale-XF11

So I tried to jump back in this weekend (again) and I have successfully completed 4 Daedric quests in only about 3 hours. I need 4 more to get the achievement. I'm really dreading having to do the Thieves Guild achievement.

Edit:

FUUUUUCK. So I just completed my 15th Daedric quest and the achivement didn't pop, because I apparently took the Rueful Axe by mistake a long time ago and didn't realize. I've gone back to old saves, and I did the quest when I was such a low level that it would be a tremendous time sink, that I just don't have, to re-do everything again. I really feel like this just sucked all the enjoyment I was having with this game again right out of my sails. Oh well, I guess i'll have to wait for the DLC now. This sucks.

Boy, do I feel your pain. I don't know what I did wrong in my own game, but I know that I have more than 15 daedric artifacts and never got the achievement. Oh well.

RPGCrazied

Where can I get the full Ebony set? I have the chest from the imperial side quests. I'm using it with some of the upgraded dark botherhood gear. Looks weird, lol

SuperBonk

I need advice to make money! Need dinero for my smithing needs.

Depends on how you want to build your character. The way I did it was load up on Soul Gems (found in various dungeons, lots of them in Dwarven ruins) and soul trapped deer/wolves to fill any empty ones. Then I used them to enchant all my iron daggers, so I could level up Smithing and Enchanting at the same time to build a godlike character.

Transmutate spell also kind of breaks the game in terms of making money.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Edit:

You can get two artifacts from the Hircine quest unless they patched that out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I already did the quest and got the hide. Unless you can go back and get the other item still?

You would still have to reload and go back, but I was thinking maybe you did Hircine more recently than you did Clavicus Vile. Too bad they don't have a Jyggalag quest. I'm not even sure why they didn't.

edgefusion

Erik the Slayer has glitched out of my game. :( The one follower I've used since the start and now he's gone, seemingly forever. I wanted to marry him but he glitched so I was unable to and now he's just glitched from existence entirely. I told him to go back to Rorikstead because I was gonna do some Dark Brotherhood quests and wanted to be alone for maximum sneakiness. Now when I return to Rorikstead to pick him up he's nowhere to be found. :(

*sigh* Now I'm gonna have to make do with an inferior follower. At least I'll be able to marry them, but my heart will always be with Erik!

HAPPY EDIT: I've found Erik! I resigned myself to a marriage with Vorstag, got to the altar and who shows up to the wedding? Erik! So I jilted Vorstag and am happily back together with my unmarriable Erik. Bliss.

I need advice to make money! Need dinero for my smithing needs.

No, don't just loot everything you can. Loot only the valuable items, stuff like gemmed rings, necklaces and good quality armour/weapons. Don't just stuff your bag with everything unless you're making frequent trips to vendors, otherwise you'll end up at capacity with a bunch of low value junk.

The best way to make money though is the whole banish enchant + iron daggers trick. It doesn't boost your smithing crazy quick like pre 1.5 but each dagger is worth around 1K. You'll be swimming in money before you know it.

Loot dungeons. Every little thing you can carry, loot it.

Depends on how you want to build your character. The way I did it was load up on Soul Gems (found in various dungeons, lots of them in Dwarven ruins) and soul trapped deer/wolves to fill any empty ones. Then I used them to enchant all my iron daggers, so I could level up Smithing and Enchanting at the same time to build a godlike character.

Transmutate spell also kind of breaks the game in terms of making money.

No, don't just loot everything you can. Loot only the valuable items, stuff like gemmed rings, necklaces and good quality armour/weapons. Don't just stuff your bag with everything unless you're making frequent trips to vendors, otherwise you'll end up at capacity with a bunch of low value junk.

The best way to make money though is the whole banish enchant + iron daggers trick. It doesn't boost your smithing crazy quick like pre 1.5 but each dagger is worth around 1K. You'll be swimming in money before you know it.
Thanks guys. With only a couple tries I found out it was definitely my way out of impoverishment. First few daggers are worth 800-1K gold even with measly petty soul gems. Next few days are going to be a blast. Enchantment? ENCHANTMENT!

That marriage story was awesome. I married Lydia, and even though the game does nothing to make you care about your SO in the game, for some weird reason I'm a wuss that reloaded a previous save the first time we got attacked by a deadly dragon/dragon priest combo. I used to think I didn't care, but in the end, I did.

I really am pissed. Ugh. No one to blame but myself.

Just create an entirely new character, in a completely different style. You'll rediscover the entire game, and before you know it, you'll be having fun getting them all again. I mean, I did my main playthrough with a bulky tank of a Nord, equipped in heavy armor with shield and sword. I did all the Daedric Quests with a skinny Dark Elf who likes sticking to the shadows and slitting throats with his dual daggers.

Angry Grimace

Just create an entirely new character, in a completely different style. You'll rediscover the entire game, and before you know it, you'll be having fun getting them all again. I mean, I did my main playthrough with a bulky tank of a Nord, equipped in heavy armor with shield and sword. I did all the Daedric Quests with a skinny Dark Elf who likes sticking to the shadows and slitting throats with his dual daggers.

I have yet to figure out the benefit of either dual wielding or daggers. I guess I don't know how to do it?

I have yet to figure out the benefit of either dual wielding or daggers. I guess I don't know how to do it?

Daggers can net you some crazy backstab bonuses. Dual wielding isn't really my thing, but it allows you to hit twice as fast at the expense of being able to block. Which is good for some players, I guess.

I prefer being able to block hits, though.

At 100 points in Lockpicking you are able to unlock the "lockpicks don't break" perk.

Does this function the same as the
skeleton key
? ie. if you have the perk does the lockpick position reset, or does it stay in the same spot like the item above?

Sblargh

Banned
Does light armor have any benefit over heavy? It seems like once you get to the "armor weights nothing" perk, light armor is basically a worse version of that.

Does light armor have any benefit over heavy? It seems like once you get to the "armor weights nothing" perk, light armor is basically a worse version of that.

Yeah...pretty much. If there's a distinct benefit to wearing it once you have that perk, I don't know it. I know the light armor version of that perk is available much earlier, so there's that. For most of the game, before you unlock that perk, light armor will afford you more stamina and mobility.

Rolled a new character today with plans of takig on the civil war storyline. In all my time with this game I've ever actually "chosen a side". Anyone else put it off for months?

Daggers can net you some crazy backstab bonuses. Dual wielding isn't really my thing, but it allows you to hit twice as fast at the expense of being able to block. Which is good for some players, I guess.

I prefer being able to block hits, though.
It's worth noting that you have to take the perk that boosts attack speed before that benefit manifests itself. Before that point, your extra dagger is just taking up space. I suggest Valdr's Lucky Dagger (unenchanted 25% critical increase) for a dual-wielding build + Elemental Force for increased attack speed. Extremely potent build.

Holy shit, the Kinect shouts are terrible. The thing's just way too sensitive, and a lot of the words sound alike. I'll say "Fus Ro Dah" correctly and it'll try "Faas Ru Maar".

I also think I have a ghost in my house that keeps whispering 'Pause Game', because my menu will pop up at the worst of times even when there's nobody else around.

GhaleonEB

Holy shit, the Kinect shouts are terrible. The thing's just way too sensitive, and a lot of the words sound alike. I'll say "Fus Ro Dah" correctly and it'll try "Faas Ru Maar".

I also think I have a ghost in my house that keeps whispering 'Pause Game', because my menu will pop up at the worst of times even when there's nobody else around.

Is there a way to turn them off? I haven't played Skyrim since the update but my kid wants to, and I don't want to deal with Kinect when the DLC hits.

Is there a way to turn them off? I haven't played Skyrim since the update but my kid wants to, and I don't want to deal with Kinect when the DLC hits.

Yeah, they're turned off by default. You can check them on or off in the settings menu.

And my newest character isn't going to use any of the OP Smithing or Enchanting stuff. Heck, I'm not going to enchant anything, only use the stuff I can find. I probably won't craft any of the more advanced armors, either.

Yeah, they're turned off by default. You can check them on or off in the settings menu.

And my newest character isn't going to use any of the OP Smithing or Enchanting stuff. Heck, I'm not going to enchant anything, only use the stuff I can find. I probably won't craft any of the more advanced armors, either.

I'm actually thinking of using smithing with my latest character primarily because I've never actually abused it before.

No enchanting, though. It's a lot more fun to just use the special gear that you find.

In all my time with Skyrim, this is also my first Nord character. Who'da thunk?

RPGCrazied

Any quest rewards? I have yet to craft anything, lol. The last few quests have given me nothing but shields and 2 handed weapons.

Any quest rewards? I have yet to craft anything, lol. The last few quests have given me nothing but shields and 2 handed weapons.

Best gear comes from the Daedric Shrine quests. If you want a good piece of armor that can't be found anywhere else, try Boethiah's quest for the Ebony Mail. Peryite's quest comes with a good unique shield. Hircine's quest comes with some unique light armor, depending on a choice made at the end. With enough points in Smithing and Enchanting you could make gear much better than any of these items, however. I suggest just using what you find in dungeons as random loot - you'll be glad you did.

RPGCrazied

Best gear comes from the Daedric Shrine quests. If you want a good piece of armor that can't be found anywhere else, try Boethiah's quest for the Ebony Mail. Peryite's quest comes with a good unique shield. Hircine's quest comes with some unique light armor, depending on a choice made at the end. With enough points in Smithing and Enchanting you could make gear much better than any of these items, however. I suggest just using what you find in dungeons as random loot - you'll be glad you did.

Looked it up, says I need to be level 30 for that quest. I'm only 26. I did the Peryite quest today, but I don't use shields. I dual wield 1 handers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have been sitting with an Ebony bow and the Blade of Woe dagge for about 10 levels now, or more. Will I get anything better? I'm at 46 now, the bow does 106 damage plus 24 fire, and the dagger does 46. My mace is the Mace of Molag Bal and does 51.

Armor-wise I've been using glass and it's at 142 for the chest. 47 arms, and 50 for my dragon scale boots I found. Pairing those with the Volsung mask.

Cimarron

I have a Steam account but I want to purchase the retail version of Skyrim. Does anyone know if I can still use Steam to download DLC and mods and the like? Or will I be locked out of Steam intergration with the retail copy?

I have a Steam account but I want to purchase the retail version of Skyrim. Does anyone know if I can still use Steam to download DLC and mods and the like? Or will I be locked out of Steam intergration with the retail copy?

I think it uses Steamworks, regardless of if you bought it online or in stores.

Top Bottom