• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I see Ghal already brought news of the trailer.
It mentions
The First Dragonborn, wasn't that Tiber Septim? Are we going to end up fighting Talos?
Not really,
Tiber Septim
was Dragonborn but not the first, also he (alone) isn't Talos, just his more recognizable aspect.

St. Alessia was the first Dragonborn we knew of seeing she made the pact with Akatosh (presumably she had made the pact with Shor/Lorkhan before Oblivion changed it/cleared it up) and mingled her heart's blood with his, but that was in the first era I think, the Dragon war was way before that.

So I boot up Skyrim for the first time in awhile today (mostly due to that fabulous trailer), and it bugged right after getting the Dragonrend shout. Couldn't do any damage to Alduin.

Too pissed to bother rebooting, so I just turned it off. :(

Yeah, kind of insane, if you play the regular way that will take you ages.
I was 60 when i finished Dawnguard so i thought i would never manage it to 78. Then a friend showed me a couple of tricks to level faster. Luckily all my low skills were fairly easy to boost, so what i did, i played the game like i would normally would, and every now and then i spend an half hour to an hour boosting a skill.

Please share!

Not really,
Tiber Septim
was Dragonborn but not the first, also he (alone) isn't Talos, just his more recognizable aspect.

St. Alessia was the first Dragonborn we knew of seeing she made the pact with Akatosh (presumably she had made the pact with Shor/Lorkhan before Oblivion changed it/cleared it up) and mingled her heart's blood with his, but that was in the first era I think, the Dragon war was way before that.

Yup, exactly. It kind of bends the lore, seeing as Alessia's pact with Akatosh was the catalyst for people becoming 'Dragonborn', but I guess Skyrim already changed that by making the Dragonborn a dragonslayer anointed by the gods instead. Maybe Alessia's pact just tied the Dragonborn and the Amulet of Kings together, and Martin's sacrifice at the end of Oblivion made that bind undone.

I'm good at this: I should write a book or some shit.

Arjen

Please share!

Alteration: Find a river where you can swim in, go to the side, stand in the water, cast waterbreathing non stop.
Illusion: Cast Muffle over and over.
Block/Light Armor/ Heavy Armor. Find a giant (or a bear, depends how much damage you can take) and let them pound away at you. Since you need to heal, you'll also train restoration.
Speech: Talk to Ungrien in the Riften Black-Briar Meadery, he has a persuade option that you can do over and over again.
Pickpocket: Not a real trick, but if you put a couple of perks in to increase your sucsesrate you'll have it to 100 in now time, go to the jarls for juicy loot.
Archery/One handed/ Two Handed/ Destruction: If you have shadowmere, put the diffuculty on master, he has near unlimited healt, just pound away at him with your weapon/ spell of choiche.
Conjuration: Find a spot where an enemy can't reach you but still stays with you. Cast a bound weapon spell over and over.

A good one for Alteration is enchanting some gear until Alteration spells dont cost any more magicka, and then use Telekinesis on an object. Holding it for five minutes or so nearly gets you to 100 in one go.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Well I never told her to "apart ways", told that woman to "wait", guess she didn't want to wait. Lol
But thanks, I shall go to those places and look.

As with Fallout 3 and NV, if you ask a follower to wait, after 3 days they return home automatically as if dismissed.

Note: this would screw up NV, as some personal side quests would no longer be obtainable/completeable because they thought it was fun to make the characters sore about being fired even though you could only have one/two follower(s).

Alteration: Find a river where you can swim in, go to the side, stand in the water, cast waterbreathing non stop.
Block/Light Armor/ Heavy Armor. Find a giant (or a bear, depends how much damage you can take) and let them pound away at you. Since you need to heal, you'll also train restoration.
Speech: Talk to Ungrien in the Riften Black-Briar Meadery, he has a persuade option that you can do over and over again.
Pickpocket: Not a real trick, but if you put a couple of perks in to increase your sucsesrate you'll have it to 100 in now time, go to the jarls for juicy loot.
Archery/One handed/ Two Handed/ Destruction: If you have shadowmere, put the diffuculty on master, he has near unlimited healt, just pound away at him with your weapon/ spell of choiche.
Conjuration: Find a spot where an enemy can't reach you but still stays with you. Cast a bound weapon spell over and over.

Awesome thanks! Definitely going to try this this weekend.

Takuan

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a mod discussion thread, but I'll leave the picture and link just because.

21228-1-1344136154l9cyq.jpg
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/21228/

A good one for Alteration is enchanting some gear until Alteration spells dont cost any more magicka, and then use Telekinesis on an object. Holding it for five minutes or so nearly gets you to 100 in one go.

Thanks to both of you! Got my lvl 52 Nord up to mid-60s last night. Feels silly to grind this way, but I'm not sure how else I'd hit 78...

Thanks to both of you! Got my lvl 52 Nord up to mid-60s last night. Feels silly to grind this way, but I'm not sure how else I'd hit 78...

I did it with the Oghma Inifinium glitch, just to get it over with. That character is now my go to character for when I want to kill stuff: I murdered probably over half the population of Skyrim just to get those Vampire achievements.

cdyhybrid

Started a new character...Heavy Armor, sword n board, and I installed a few mods to make shouts more interesting....I also installed a mod to make werewolves look like were-dragons instead :D

JDdelphin

-and if you haven't done it yet, when you 'cleanse the focal points' at winterhold college you get random magic regeneration buffs for a few hours. Depending on what you get you can cast stuff infinitely without perks or special equipment.
Just buy a horse and cast soul trap on it over and over or any illusion buffs, etc...
If you're really lucky you can cast constantly with both hands with it regenerating even as you charge it.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Out_of_Balance

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
PS3 user here, still running on patch 1.05 as I'm afraid to update and see what happens :lol.

Can anyone tell me how the new patch(es) make the game run?

I played a bit after release and then stopped for some unknown reason. I picked it up again last week and started a new character.

I'm going full on sword-n-board using nothing but swords and no magic but healing.

I'm at level 9 and I've killed the first dragon to get a shout and now I'm just wandering around.

I'm having a blast. And reading though this thread at work just makes me want to get home and play more.

thefil

Playing an RP character to do Dawnguard. Started off coming up from Hammerfell to join the Imperial Legion and put down the rebellion. Ended up distracted by an offer from the Jarl of Falkreath of thane and fortune, and got addicted to skooma on the way down so I can't afford to put down the corrupt Jarl. The skooma addiction has me completely forgetting to deliver General Tullius' letter to the Jarl of Whiterun.

On my way back to Falkreath from taking out the bandits he asked for, I was approached by a member of the Dawnguard. Hard to rectify this with my character, but given I started the game to do Dawnguard, I'll come up with some excuse.

I really wish this game supported/there were mods to support:
* need for dryness, sleep (Frostfall needs to be updated, basically)
* need economy for non-shop items (more expensive rooms in inns when farmers come in to get away from war, etc)
* asking directions from NPCs to locations
* overhaul with much more mundane power curve, fewer demand for group battles and/or more companion expectations
* timed quests (missing an urgent quest has consequences)
* clothing-based faction response (can't walk about stormcloaks in my imperial armor)

Volimar

Playing an RP character to do Dawnguard. Started off coming up from Hammerfell to join the Imperial Legion and put down the rebellion. Ended up distracted by an offer from the Jarl of Falkreath of thane and fortune, and got addicted to skooma on the way down so I can't afford to put down the corrupt Jarl. The skooma addiction has me completely forgetting to deliver General Tullius' letter to the Jarl of Whiterun.

On my way back to Falkreath from taking out the bandits he asked for, I was approached by a member of the Dawnguard. Hard to rectify this with my character, but given I started the game to do Dawnguard, I'll come up with some excuse.

I really wish this game supported/there were mods to support:
* need for dryness, sleep (Frostfall needs to be updated, basically)
* need economy for non-shop items (more expensive rooms in inns when farmers come in to get away from war, etc)
* asking directions from NPCs to locations
* overhaul with much more mundane power curve, fewer demand for group battles and/or more companion expectations
* timed quests (missing an urgent quest has consequences)
* clothing-based faction response (can't walk about stormcloaks in my imperial armor)

I'd love a realism option for the 360 version. Food and drink, rest, etc.

Takuan

I always agonize over which perks to pursue in these types of games. How many trees can I realistically specialize in, i.e. be able to get the "ultimate" perk before running out of points to spend? I'm trying to do a mage-knight of sorts, so at the moment I've put a few points into one-handed and a single point in destruction. If possible, I'd like to also go Enchanting (, Smithing, Sneaking and Archery, in order of importance.

I realize that Archery doesn't quite fit the build, but I love the shooting mechanics in this game so much that I can't help myself.

I always agonize over which perks to pursue in these types of games. How many trees can I realistically specialize in, i.e. be able to get the "ultimate" perk before running out of points to spend? I'm trying to do a mage-knight of sorts, so at the moment I've put a few points into one-handed and a single point in destruction. If possible, I'd like to also go Enchanting (, Smithing, Sneaking and Archery, in order of importance.

I realize that Archery doesn't quite fit the build, but I love the shooting mechanics in this game so much that I can't help myself.

For a Battlemage build, I'd recommend working on an armor tree (light or heavy, your choice), one-handed, enchanting, smithing, and only a couple magic schools to specialize in. This build starts out really slow, and you have to pick your battles for a while, but eventually you'll become extremely powerful and versatile.

I wouldn't recommend adding archery to the mix - destruction fills that niche just as well, and you've already selected a perk in that tree.

GhaleonEB

I'm already planning my Dragonborn character. Archer (of course) but with a one handed specialty with twin daggers when things get up close and personal. Lots of crafting on the side; my current character, aided by a poisonous garden outside her house, carried about 30 12-second paralysis potions at all times. And each was good for two strikes. Then she walked up for the dagger finish.

Yeah. Good times were had. Enough that I'll be basically spinning her up again for a fresh romp through the expansion.

-and if you haven't done it yet, when you 'cleanse the focal points' at winterhold college you get random magic regeneration buffs for a few hours. Depending on what you get you can cast stuff infinitely without perks or special equipment.
Just buy a horse and cast soul trap on it over and over or any illusion buffs, etc...
If you're really lucky you can cast constantly with both hands with it regenerating even as you charge it.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Out_of_Balance

For those trying to power level, this is excellent advice. Casting with both hands and the magic bar didn't even show up on the HUD. Up to lvl 67 on my quest to 78. Favorite moment of the power leveling journey so far: Standing still casting heal as 2 giants smacked the crap out of me. Got my light armor up to 100 pretty quickly, but boy that was silly looking. Can't wait to do it over again with heavy armor. :p

Slermy

For a Battlemage build, I'd recommend working on an armor tree (light or heavy, your choice), one-handed, enchanting, smithing, and only a couple magic schools to specialize in. This build starts out really slow, and you have to pick your battles for a while, but eventually you'll become extremely powerful and versatile.

I wouldn't recommend adding archery to the mix - destruction fills that niche just as well, and you've already selected a perk in that tree.

I concur with the armor comment. It's very much worthwhile to put points into one of those. You'll get torn up at higher levels without it (at least I did).

Takuan

I've only set 2 hard rules for this build: Destruction and 1-Handed trees only for spells and melee weapons. So far, I've only put 2 points into the former, and 4 or 5 into the latter (the damage upgrade and reduced power attack cost). I know that I'll want to upgrade Smithing as far as Ebony, and Enchanting as far as Dual Enchanting, which should be enough to make my character a powerhouse, so I'm thinking there'll be enough to go around for select advancement in other trees. I'm not sure if I need to bother with Heavy specialization, as the only perk I like is the weightless one that requires perhaps a bit more investment than it's worth. Considering going Shields because I like the idea of bashing someone silly.

I'm actually having a pretty easy time of it for the moment (character level 14) on default difficulty; I'm wearing light armor, mainhanding an Orcish Axe, and off-handing fire spells. I have to be careful when dealing with groups of 3 or more, but can generally handle tough situations with active movement and strategic use of Lydia. I just picked up Firebolt and Fire Rune, both of which have proven quite useful compared to Flame (Rune is pretty awesome, if mana-intensive).

I concur with the armor comment. It's very much worthwhile to put points into one of those. You'll get torn up at higher levels without it (at least I did).
Hum. I was thinking I'd be okay with enhanced armors, but if this is indeed the case I may venture up that tree.

Slermy

Hum. I was thinking I'd be okay with enhanced armors, but if this is indeed the case I may venture up that tree.

Well, if you're going to make Alteration one of your trees, then that could be a valid option. I didn't mess with those spells too much personally.

Takuan

Well, if you're going to make Alteration one of your trees, then that could be a valid option. I didn't mess with those spells too much personally.

My battle mage is only concerned with destroying things via sorcery or steel, so I'll take your advice and save some points for Heavy Armor. It looks as though I'll have a fair bit to go around once I'm done with the primary trees. Thanks for the heads-up.

My battle mage is only concerned with destroying things via sorcery or steel, so I'll take your advice and save some points for Heavy Armor. It looks as though I'll have a fair bit to go around once I'm done with the primary trees. Thanks for the heads-up.

So far, so good. I would recommend sticking to a single element specialty in Destruction, though I see you're already sort of going down that road. What you can't dispatch with fire you can dispatch with steel, and vice versa. I would recommend getting a few perks in the Restoration school - namely enough perks to allow you to cast Healing comfortably. You might want to look into using barriers instead of shields, though you can't bash someone with a barrier...

Volimar

Gametrailers has some "new" information about Dragonborn. It's mostly vague junk, but they link some new screenshots in their facebook.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...-skyrim-and-gain-new-powers-in-dragonborn-dlc

And here's a listing of key features from the content:

• Explore Beyond Skyrim – Leave the province of Skyrim and travel to the coastal island of Solstheim. Encounter the Dark Elven settlers of Raven Rock and the native Skaal, as you unravel the mystery of a Dragonborn’s return.

• Become the Ultimate Dragonborn – Harness the power of the Voice as you face off against the first Dragonborn. Wield new shouts and spells including Dragon Aspect – allowing you to summon the inner power of a dragon to deliver colossal blows and strengthen other shouts.

• New Powers – Discover dark powers as you journey into a new Daedric realm. Collect books of forbidden knowledge and choose new paths for your skills and abilities.

• New dungeons, creatures, weapons, and more – Suit up in Bonemold and Chitin armors and wield Stalhrim weapons as you navigate through a myriad of dungeons. Battle formidable foes like Ash Spawn, Rieklings, and more.

Woorloog

Banned
So, do we get spears as usable weapons (1h or 2h?) or are they just riekling weapons?

Would like something else than swords (sword'n'board is cooler), hammers (looks stupid other than Volendrung, boring) or axes (look stupid, boring) as 2h weapon...
Not that i'm playing Skyrim again anytime soon, once a PC version with all DLC is released... Or Steam sale.
Can't deal with the perk system anymore, i need the PC version and do a complete perk/skill overhaul (skills should be important, perks just extra, no damage or other essential stuff via perks).

Balya

I've started doing the Bloodmoon content on Steam since I only had vanilla Morrowind on Xbox. The main quest wants you to be level 30, though... I just made all my 1MP practice spells, by the time I get there Dragonborn could be out.

So I've maxed out(?) One Handed and Heavy Armor at level 100.

What do I do now? Do I just focus on another skill tree for battle to continue leveling up?

Balya

Switch to Two Handed, Light Armor then in true Nord style... if you want. Up to you whether or not to put any perks in the trees but it's probably more efficient to leave them all in one each of the armor/melee ones.

One thing to consider for combat skills you want to level up but not necessarily use is you can get free training from Companions once you've earned them as followers using the "I need to trade some things with you" take your money back trick that also works on Faendal the Riverwood archer.

Nirvana

Switch to Two Handed, Light Armor then in true Nord style... if you want. Up to you whether or not to put any perks in the trees but it's probably more efficient to leave them all in one each of the armor/melee ones.

One thing to consider for combat skills you want to level up but not necessarily use is you can get free training from Companions once you've earned them as followers using the "I need to trade some things with you" take your money back trick that also works on Faendal the Riverwood archer.

I changed to Light Armour and Two Handed since I have level one hundred in all spell trees, heavy armour, one handed and archery. I needed to pull out my bow occasionally though, amazing how much difference low level skills makes despite being a high level. Made the game a lot more interesting though.

So I've maxed out(?) One Handed and Heavy Armor at level 100.

What do I do now? Do I just focus on another skill tree for battle to continue leveling up?

This is why I'm not a huge fan of pure melee builds. Once you max out your chosen armor and weapon skill you're just sort of...done. Currently working on a mage intent on mastering every school of magic. Gives me something to aim for at higher levels.

This is why I'm not a huge fan of pure melee builds. Once you max out your chosen armor and weapon skill you're just sort of...done. Currently working on a mage intent on mastering every school of magic. Gives me something to aim for at higher levels.

Yeah, that happens.

I play a male Nord and what I did was max out melee trees (Two Handed, One Handed, Heavy Armor) and Alteration magic, once that is done I started to dwell into Destruction/Conjuration and I'm currently becoming a spellsword which is pretty fun, Conjuration is specially a cool complement for a melee fighter if you go through the bound weapons part of the skilltree, helps gathering souls too without relying in on Enchanting or spells.

Top Bottom