• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Using Confidence Man's ENB settings with a few changes..not 100% satisfied with it but its getting there. The nights look great.

<piccys>

Seems a bit bright and shiny, will reduce that I think

The backgrounds look great but it looks like it's populated with plastic people. I'm amazed how far these mods can push the look of Skyrim.

NBtoaster

Reduced specularity by a ton and got this:

tesv2012-01-0302-34-0bxj0n.png

I'm unsure if I want any more color saturation, as yellow textures sometimes turn a sickly green.

Also checked the original game, going to be hard to go back, it's so dark and flat..

shiroryu

That .ini generator is great - I used it to change settings for 4 cores and 8 GB RAM, and the game is significantly smoother than before.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just been playing with ENB. Wow. All I can say.

With texture packs, skyboost, enb all running, this is a sweet looking game.

enb is a must, really.

It kills fps by half for me though. Not worth it unless I had a rig that would retain the performance I get on my single GPU. With the newest v3 Skyboost I get 60fps like I did with vanilla settings and now ini edits now. That's about 90% of the time including in cities. Now with mods, enhanced ini settings and better AA I am back to vanilla like performance. Amazing progress the mod community has made.

And did anyone else have trouble with the roads mod? I got the detailed roads one with all the roads and not just the main ones. Reading the readme told me to delete a particular LOD setting in skyrim.ini but it's not even there to begin with. Not sure if I should just try the main roads one but I really want this to work. I'm implementing it through Mod Organiser and it doesn't put the mods in the data folder as those who use it know. But I never had any problems with mods not working before. Heck, even the SKSE based SkyUI worked via MO. Any advice would be appreciated. Won't be able to do anything for a couple of hours until I get on my PC so I'm all ears.

And I think I ran into my first quest break. I believe it's a companion quest in which the map tells me to go to the East Empire Company building just outside of Solitude. It doesn't even make sense since I go in and I'm supposed to be at Mount Hope or whatever it's called and I have to enter through the East Empire building? I'm debating on going back to timescale 30 in the console just to see if it's my timescale messing with things but this is the first legit quest break I've ran into in 100 hours of playing.

Any advice on this one too?

That .ini generator is great - I used it to change settings for 4 cores and 8 GB RAM, and the game is significantly smoother than before.

I used it a lot in the beginning of my ini editing and actually came back here to post the results of things when I was doing my heavier testing I didn't copy paste thing but did incorporate settings which I didn't understand in the ini and plugged them in. It's good for at least that.

shiroryu

With the newest v3 Skyboost I get 60fps like I did with vanilla settings and now ini edits now.

And I think I ran into my first quest break. I believe it's a companion quest in which the map tells me to go to the East Empire Company building just outside of Solitude. It doesn't even make sense since I go in and I'm supposed to be at Mount Hope or whatever it's called and I have to enter through the East Empire building? I'm debating on going back to timescale 30 in the console just to see if it's my timescale messing with things but this is the first legit quest break I've ran into in 100 hours of playing.

Don't want to be alarmist, but I tried SkyBoost and had a weird thing happen - ran into a high-level Breton mage on the road to Whiterun with Dwarven armor who attacked me off the bat. Totally random. Got afraid that I'd broken the game and never ran it again.

Maybe try it without SkyBoost? Though timescale could be a possibility.

And did anyone else have trouble with the roads mod? I got the detailed roads one with all the roads and not just the main ones. Reading the readme told me to delete a particular LOD setting in skyrim.ini but it's not even there to begin with. Not sure if I should just try the main roads one but I really want this to work. I'm implementing it through Mod Organiser and it doesn't put the mods in the data folder as those who use it know. But I never had any problems with mods not working before. Heck, even the SKSE based SkyUI worked via MO. Any advice would be appreciated. Won't be able to do anything for a couple of hours until I get on my PC so I'm all ears.
Used MO/SKSE with the map mod and it was weird - the game was stuttering like crazy. And I'm running completely on vanilla as far as maps are concerned; no MapMenu section for me. Switched to Nexus Mod Manager, installed, and ran SKSE - works, and is how I'm playing the game right now.

I used it a lot in the beginning of my ini editing and actually came back here to post the results of things when I was doing my heavier testing I didn't copy paste thing but did incorporate settings which I didn't understand in the ini and plugged them in. It's good for at least that.
Dunno if you have it there, but I think adding an option for multiple HW threads in the OP would help; since it's a simple numerical tweak as compared to the RAM allocation tweaks which need the use of the .ini creator.

LiquidMetal14

I do have the multiple core/thread lines in my ini :)

And I think I may go back to NMM if it works for you. I know shortly after I switched from NMM to MO, they patched in NMM and added the one feature it was missing, being able to choose the folders to add like in Vurts flora mod. Will try it later but I will have to migrate all my files from MO to NMM. I have about 12 mods installed now so it's not too big a deal. And I kept some of the archives in my DL folder so it should be no big pain minus a couple of small DL's.

I think I will try the time scale thing with my quest bug. I forgot to mention that I'm supposed to hunt a dragon up in the mountain and it shows the entrance as going into the EEC building like I mentioned earlier. Odd for sure. Anyways thanks for the tips. I knew about most of them minus not thinking about switching back to NMM. Will report back later.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Is there an in-depth, step-by-step guide to installing ENB? No matter whose configuration I've tried the game won't load anymore. I feel like I must be overlooking something obvious but for the life of me I can't figure it out and I'm trying not to get frustrated...

inner-G

Banned
Built a new rig and it feels good, man.

Old rig:
Athlon 64X2 5400+ 2.8Ghz
4GB DDR2
9800GTX 1GB

Ran it pretty damn well for a system it's age. 4XAA/8XAF, High settings, Medium shadows, got +30-45fps.

New rig:
i5 2500k stock 3.3Ghz
8GB DDR3
560GT 2GB

Runs it like a beast. 8XAA/16XAF, High/Ultra High Shadows, force 'Performance' AO and vsync through nvidia control panel. Runs like butter.

graywolf323

are there any mods so my companion can ride a horse or at least sit behind me on my horse?

edit: also would be nice if Meeko would go to my home when I send him home instead of his shack

ACE 1991

How do I prevent my saves from being overwritten when dropping a friend's saves into my save directory? Last time I did this my friend's save files ended up overwriting 3 hours worth of progress worth of my saves.

EDIT: Second question, if someone doesn't mind: Is it alright to use the skyrim HD landscape retexture mod in conjunction with the Skyrim HD 2K texture mod, or is this redundant?

moop1167

I haven't been using a mod organizer up until this point, but I think I should start. What one is considered the best one right now?

LiquidMetal14

The easiest is nexus mod manager. It works without having to change any settings. Couldn't get mod organizer to work.

Yes, this one seems to be slightly better minus some occasional crashes. No matter, just DL the files manually and add them via NMM. I would say it has the edge right now over MO.

And the ini creator, I just copy the ini settings I need. Don't worry about copying the whole thing. Take the time to learn some of the different settings that way you can isolate a problem or tone specific things down. That's one thing that helped me a low with LOD settings and why my ini has further distance detail which is great.

moop1167

With the mod managers, how do I install two texture mods at the same time. For instance, I have the 2K textures as well as the HD Textures mod, but some of the stuff they do overlap. How do I keep the one I prefer for that particular texture? Or is that something I should install manually?

How do I prevent my saves from being overwritten when dropping a friend's saves into my save directory? Last time I did this my friend's save files ended up overwriting 3 hours worth of progress worth of my saves.

EDIT: Second question, if someone doesn't mind: Is it alright to use the skyrim HD landscape retexture mod in conjunction with the Skyrim HD 2K texture mod, or is this redundant?

I use both but without letting the Skyrim HD 2K texture mod overwrite any of skyrim HD landscape retexture mod textures. There are a couple of textures that HD 2K has that HD landscape doesn't have.

With the mod managers, how do I install two texture mods at the same time. For instance, I have the 2K textures as well as the HD Textures mod, but some of the stuff they do overlap. How do I keep the one I prefer for that particular texture? Or is that something I should install manually?

Every time there is a conflict nexus mod manager asks you which one you want to keep.

moop1167

Right, but what if I want the mountain textures for 2K textures, but the ground textures for the other one? That's what I mean - there will be conflicts but I don't want to have to choose between one or the other.

neoism

I love this game... 116 hours .... still can't wait to play it again. Something I learned today. Some of the mods I've downloaded over the months for some reason wouldn't work. I had no idea that you had to copy it to the data folder than click yes to overwrite...I've been manually copy certain folders and stuff.... My character looks awesome now :p

Right, but what if I want the mountain textures for 2K textures, but the ground textures for the other one? That's what I mean - there will be conflicts but I don't want to have to choose between one or the other.

The mod manager will ask for each individual texture that is repeated between the two mods. You just have to click 'no' to everything but the mountain rocks. (though the names might not be that clear) However there are only a very few textures that are redundant between those two.

LiquidMetal14

I can confirm that going to NMM from MO fixes several of my mods. Most of them if not all seem to be made for NMM. Like when I install isoku's water and SkyUI, I get nice install screens and it lets me neatly choose which file I want. With MO, I get none of that. Now my roads are visible and working but need to fix my quest break.

LiquidMetal14

Important enough for a new post but I figured out the glitch I get in the "Dragon Seekers" quest. If you kill the dragon before talking to the companion in the hall in Whiterun, the quest will break and you cannot get rid of the guy who goes with you. There is no fix for this at the moment and it is annoying because the latest file I had was about 2 hours behind and I hate backtracking. If you DO NOT KILL the dragon on top of Mount Anthor (I don't know where it is since it doesn't show properly on the map with the glitch) the quest will go off without a hitch. I do believe its the mountain above Solitude since I think there's a dragon shrine near there but I have to go back to confirm.

I know it's a big game but Beth should have put some kind of text to say something incase you already killed the dragon. If you want to just ignore the quest you can since he asks you if you've heard of the dragon or something to that extent and you just say the bottom response and don't take the quest then you avoid it. Otherwise, you will be stuck with him as your companion for good. I am also not sure if you will get further quests from him if you turn that one down in particular but it's a bummer if that stops you from completing all the companion quests. Not sure if it's a glitch in the console versions but its a bummer that you can't finish that yet and I'm pretty sure Beth knows about this by now as it's on the wiki page.

Aurarian

Can anyone tell me why my ground textures are so horribly blurry at small distance away from my character?

http://i.imgur.com/gL38Q.jpg

I don't understand why but I don't remember them being like that when I first installed the game. I'm not sure what I should do. Should I reinstall the game and wipe out everything and try putting the landscape mod in the op first or is this something normal and I'm going crazy?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Can anyone tell me why my ground textures are so horribly blurry at small distance away from my character?

http://i.imgur.com/gL38Q.jpg

I don't understand why but I don't remember them being like that when I first installed the game. I'm not sure what I should do. Should I reinstall the game and wipe out everything and try putting the landscape mod in the op first or is this something normal and I'm going crazy?

Put up the AF to 8x at least.

Aurarian

I think that may have worked Awesomesauce. Anyone know of any good ENB settings? They always seem to overly bright and colors seem a little washed out. I'm not very good with editing settings and such.

Orlandu84

I have been playing around with lighting mods today, and something odd occurred. I noticed that I would achieve higher fps while using Skyrim Enhanced Shaders together with FXAA Post Processor Injector than I would with Realistic Lighting Without Post Processing together with FXAA Post Processor Injector. When I used the latter combination, however, I experienced smoother gameplay. Any ideas?
The approximate numbers:
Skyrim Enhanced Shaders with FXAA Post Processor Injector: Indoors 50-60pfs; Markarth: 30-55 with some stutters.
Realistic Lighting Without Post Processing and FXAA Post Processor Injector: Indoors: 40-50 fps; Markarth 30-45 without stutters.

I have been playing around with lighting mods today, and something odd occurred. I noticed that I would achieve higher fps while using Skyrim Enhanced Shaders together with FXAA Post Processor Injector than I would with Realistic Lighting Without Post Processing together with FXAA Post Processor Injector. When I used the latter combination, however, I experienced smoother gameplay. Any ideas?
The approximate numbers:
Skyrim Enhanced Shaders with FXAA Post Processor Injector: Indoors 50-60pfs; Markarth: 30-55 with some stutters.
Realistic Lighting Without Post Processing and FXAA Post Processor Injector: Indoors: 40-50 fps; Markarth 30-45 without stutters.

just a thought, but are these mods incompatible with FXAA? seems likely from your results. some of the "enhanced" shaders are likely freaking out due to Skyrims implementation of FXAA and simply reverting back to the standard shaders.

RedSwirl

Forgot how to actually boot the game up through SkyBoost. Can't find any information on it anywhere except this thread.

On the INI generator, my setup is a 2600k HT Enabled and 8GB os system RAM.

How should I set the RAM and core usage fields?

Max Preload Size Limit in Bytes

Master File Preload (MB)

Number of Threads the game can use

Also, when I hit the Create button, a lot of the fields have no values to them:

[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=
b30GrassVS=
fGrassStartFadeDistance=
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=

Orlandu84

just a thought, but are these mods incompatible with FXAA? seems likely from your results. some of the "enhanced" shaders are likely freaking out due to Skyrims implementation of FXAA and simply reverting back to the standard shaders.

Good point. I will try running the mods without FXAA Post Processor Injector and see what happens.

volturnus

Banned
Is there a way to fix black screen after loading? I tried to use that DNA ini generator and none of my saves were working. Now even though I erased local content and installed the game again, it CTD right after loading.

Erethian

The "TESVAL.asm" file? But do I boot up a different file or just boot up through Steam as always?

No. All you need to do is put dinput8.dll and SkyBoost.asi in the main Skyrim directory, where TESV.exe is located. Should be Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\

Then just start the game as you normally would, and SkyBoost will be implemented automatically.

Top Bottom