• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I posted this in the OT but I thought I'd quote it here in case there is something I can do to salvage this quest.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you have a thorough look around the indicated area? I've encountered more than one instance of an item being invisible.

6365419857_cae86cf3e2_o.jpg

Kyaw

A little FXAA Injector Pre sharpen comparison!

Code section of Pre-sharpen i'm using:

Code:
//For higher precision in the calculation of contour, requires slightly more processing power
bool highQualitySharpen = 1; //0 = Disable  | 1 = Enable

// Set values to calculate the amount of  AA produced blur to consider for the sharpening pass
#define Average 0.8
#define CoefBlur 2

// Set values of the sharpening amount
#define SharpenEdge 0.2 //This is the value changed in the GIF
#define Sharpen_val0 1.2

iHylVqjpty4fB.gif

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Yeah, after installing 11.11 I got into the game once...it froze, and then I couldn't even start it after that. Pair of 6950s here.

Reboots, reinstalled the drivers, use Driver Sweeper between attempts, disabled/enabled Crossfire, tried launching windowed, through Radeon Pro, nothing. Game crashed on startup every...single...time.

Reinstalled 11.9, runs perfectly. Same with 11.10 preview drivers. This plus the still MIA Crossfire profile marks the latest in a long line of small disappointments that have driven me from being an AMD supporter.

Companions revert to their default equipment when sent home. Just have her join you again and transfer any piece of equipment from or to, and they'll reequip everything you gave them.

Same here, I never crash in the old version, now I updated to 11.11, it start CTD. =/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Default ini with RP settings (less distant detail shadows, etc)
tesv2011-11-1917-19-2iq4x9.png

RP Pro with current ini above on this page...
tesv2011-11-1917-17-3e01yi.png

Gotta run so I will see if any questions when I get back.

Recently built a new rig:

i5 2500 OC'ed to 4.6ghz
8gb RAM
CF 6970
125gb SSD
Dual 24" monitors

Been having fairly frequent BSOD only when waking from sleep/powering on so trying to diagnose and rule things out. With everything set to Ultra I was only getting 15-20 fps, changing to High changed average fps to 30 according to fraps. Does this seem low for my rig?

Your CPU can get pissy if you play with its C1 steppings the wrong way. I think a number of guides tell you to kill off all such things in Bios since that has become standard, but this can introduce instability with these chips.

Here is a list of some of the BSOD codes you may encounter along with suggestions on how to remedy the problem.

Make sure that your CPU isn't being throttled (maybe CPUZ along with a few instances of prime95). Check you GPU for the same (GPUz).

Aptos

Some settings aren't. Give it a try, the least you can do. Backup your stuff. I think my shadow distance and such is sort of the happy medium. Distance and detail. I would suggest trying for yourself.

Mind you, the last 2 posts have been adding more detail to the horizon, like NPC's and items and this next one here, trees.....

fTreeLoadDistance=125000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=300000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=90000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=40000.0000

I see trees and little details further with barely any performance loss. I'm talking like 1fps depending on where I'm looking. Combine this with the edits in my last post and you will get more detail and depth in farther away views. It's mainly to add depth and it looks great. Not so barren in the horizon.

I get about 30fps in the worst cast in Solitude with your settings. I think I'm gonna steal some of the detail LOD, but stick with the other ini. It also blurs the crap out of shadows when you're outside and I think it looks more natural (with the sun being so far away and all), and as an added bonus it hides the lower resolution artifacting.

neoism

so guys I have a fucked up graphics glitch when I use antialiasing in the game, and I was wondering can I use FXAA, and put AA on through my card... I have it on 2x now and it looks bad.

Also I have my trees load damn near in front of me... :/ Do I have to use ugrid, or is there perf changes I can do to fix it....
Code:
[Display]
iMaxDesired=5000
iFPSClamp=30
fDefault1stPersonFOV=85.0000
fDefaultWorldFOV=85.0000
fDefaultFOV=85.0000
fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000
fShadowDistance=2800.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowFilter=3
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
iShadowSplitCount=2
iMaxAnisotropy=16
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=4699.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=3699.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=3600.0000
fGamma=1
fDecalLOD2=1500.0000
fDecalLOD1=1000.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=1500.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=4000.0000
fLightLODStartFade=4000.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=0
iWaterMultiSamples=1
iMultiSample=1
iShadowMode=3
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=720
iSize W=1280
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=1.2000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
[U][B]fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=1392048.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=1392844.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=10000000.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000000.0000[/B][/U]
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=20
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=40
bFloatPointRenderTarget=0
sD3DDevice="ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series"
bFXAAEnabled=0
iShadowMapResolution=4096
fShadowBiasScale=0.1500
iShadowMaskQuarter=3
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
iAdapter=0
iShadowFilter=2
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
bDrawShadows=1
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=6000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=6000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=700.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=1
bCrosshairEnabled=1
fHUDOpacity=1.0000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=0
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=1
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=1
bGeneralSubtitles=1
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.9000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=1
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=750
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=5.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=6.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=0
fVal5=1.0000
uID5=0
fVal4=1.0000
uID4=0
fVal3=1.0000
uID3=94881
fVal2=0.8500
uID2=466532
fVal1=1.0000
uID1=554685
fVal0=0.2000
uID0=1007612
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=262144.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=32768.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=16384.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=9000.0000
[TerrainManager]
[U][B]fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=250000.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=70000.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=35000.0000[/B][/U]
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5000
bShowLODInEditor=0
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10.0000
fEdgeThickness=10.0000
fPointSize=2.5000
[Trees]
bEnableTreeAnimations=1
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=17
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=250
bDecals=1
bSkinnedDecals=1
uMaxSkinDecals=50
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=40
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=14.0000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=15.0000
fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=3
[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=1

anything I can change these too and not fuck it up?

2 posts up lol

Smokey

I just installed the game, but haven't started it yet. The amount of tweaking that is going on is a bit overwhelming to be honest. I have a high end machine (i7 2600k, GTX 580 3GB SLI, 16GB RAM etc), is there a config or something I can look at that is geared towards the type of machine I have?

Aptos

So I like the iBlurDeferredShadowMask ini setting. It makes the jagged edges much less noticeable on shadows. I have mine set to 6. The only downside of this is that it must be an image space technique since it makes big, detailed shadows that map to a few pixels on the screen have no detail.

JaseC

I just installed the game, but haven't started it yet. The amount of tweaking that is going on is a bit overwhelming to be honest. I have a high end machine (i7 2600k, GTX 580 3GB SLI, 16GB RAM etc), is there a config or something I can look at that is geared towards the type of machine I have?

Use Liquid's config posted on the previous page as a starting point. Despite having twice the amount of RAM and well over twice the amount of GPU power, I don't think there's much else you can do to increase the inherent image quality of the game. Rest assured that you're well-set for the inevitable high-res texture mods and such, though.

Does the game look like it has a bit of a piss filter to anyone else? Maybe because I'm playing with a little more blue in the image vanilla looks a little yellowish to me now.

MrBig

Does the game look like it has a bit of a piss filter to anyone else? Maybe because I'm playing with a little more blue in the image vanilla looks a little yellowish to me now.

With the FXAA injector? Absolutely not. I upped the saturation and technicolor power to great results. It was like you were partially colorblind without the tweaks.

I ruins my inner zen feeling when I know some third party junk is sitting on top of the game.

in the "injFX_Settings.h" file change these to 0 except for sharpening.

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHADER SELECTION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
// To disable / enable effects
// 0 = Disable | 1 = Enable
#define USE_ANTI_ALIASING 1
#define USE_PRE_SHARPEN 1
// HDR NOT COMPLETED!!!
#define USE_HDR 0
#define USE_BLOOM 1
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 1
#define USE_TONEMAP 1
#define USE_SEPIA 1
#define USE_VIGNETTE 0
// For use with Anaglyphic 3D glasses!!!
#define USE_ANAGLYPH 0
#define USE_POST_SHARPEN 1
#define USE_FINAL_LIMITER 0

MrBig

:/

But you need it if you want the sharpening...

Anyone else uses FXAA Injector? Care to share the colour settings please?

Code:
/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------
						PRE_SHARPEN
------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
//For higher precision in the calculation of contour, requires slightly more processing power
bool highQualitySharpen = 0; //0 = Disable  | 1 = Enable

// Set values to calculate the amount of  AA produced blur to consider for the sharpening pass
#define Average 0.8
#define CoefBlur 2

// Set values of the sharpening amount
#define SharpenEdge 0.2
#define Sharpen_val0 1.4

BLOOM
// Number of samples per pixel taken for the Bloom effect. Don't set it to high!  4 = 25spp, 8 = 81spp, 16 = 289spp
#define NUM_SAMPLES2 4 // Must be set with a value dividable by 2
float BloomPreset = 5; // Disabled = 0 (Valid Preset Values = 1 to 9) Preset value 1 to 9 takes control over the next 3 settings.
float BloomThreshold = 1; // The min. level at which the effect starts (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)
float BloomWidth = 1; // Sets the width of the effect (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)
float BloomPower = 1; // The power of the effect (Valid Values = 1 to 9, use decimals for finetuning)

TECHNICOLOR
#define TechniAmount 0.45 // 1.00 = Max
#define TechniPower 4.5 // lower values = whitening

// lower values = stronger channel
#define redNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define greenNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max
#define blueNegativeAmount 1.0 // 1.00 = Max

TONEMAP
#define Gamma 0.90
#define Exposure 0.0
#define Saturation 1.60 // use negative values for less saturation. 
#define BlueShift 0.03 // Higher = more blue in image.
#define Bleach 0.00 // Bleach bypass, higher = stronger effect
#define Defog 0.000 // Strength of Lens Colors.
#define FogColor float4(0.05, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0) //Lens-style color filters for Blue, Red, Yellow, White.

SEPIA
#define Earthyellow // Color Tone, available tones can be seen in ColorTones.PNG (Do not use spaces in the name!)
#define SepiaPower 0.5 // 1.00 = Max

VIGNETTE
// Vignette effect, process by which there is loss in clarity towards the corners and sides of the image, like a picture frame
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) // Center of screen for effect.
#define VignetteRadius 1.00 // lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -0.70 // Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.

POST_SHARPEN
// Controls additional sharpening applied after previous processing. Strength should be max 0.25!
float Sharpen = 0.05;

FINAL_LIMITER
// Controls the strenght of the limiter. 1.000 for default setting
int LimiterStrenght = 1.000;

Mine may be more saturated than most.

LiquidMetal14

I get about 30fps in the worst cast in Solitude with your settings. I think I'm gonna steal some of the detail LOD, but stick with the other ini. It also blurs the crap out of shadows when you're outside and I think it looks more natural (with the sun being so far away and all), and as an added bonus it hides the lower resolution artifacting.

That works. It's the best thing about this. You can take little things away and plug them away to make the best for your unique machine. That's what makes the modding community great :)

Use Liquid's config posted on the previous page as a starting point. Despite having twice the amount of RAM and well over twice the amount of GPU power, I don't think there's much else you can do to increase the inherent image quality of the game. Rest assured that you're well-set for the inevitable high-res texture mods and such, though.

He can definitely increase shadow res and distance if he wanted. Those LOD settings in my config are also not the highest either. I have a link in the OP that can guide you to some of the lesser discussed settings that cant net you little details that add to to the package as a whole. But all in all, I would say that it's a good config to start with while SLI580's would run that with ease :)

Aptos

So I just did some experimentation: I ran the game on one monitor with my performance polling tools running on my second. And guess what? I hate this engine!

I tested in Solitude in the worst place I could find for my framerate, where I get 30fps:

Total CPU usage about 20%, maxed at 75% on one core.
GPU usage only got up to 58%, MAX...

I mean, what the hell? They have some gnarly unoptimized code. I mean, have they ever heard of gprof? Or measuring their shader performance? I mean god damn it, that's horrible for any commercial software, let alone a AAA game.

MrBig

Screenshots?

I'm still tweaking my colours. It's like an endless voyage into a blackhole.

It took me a while to settle on these values

I also added 0.2 pre-sharpening

zPHsH.jpg

cFKgW.jpg

A night and day shot of Markath with the settings applied in both.

LiquidMetal14

So I just did some experimentation: I ran the game on one monitor with my performance polling tools running on my second. And guess what? I hate this engine!

I tested in Solitude in the worst place I could find for my framerate, where I get 30fps:

I mean, what the hell? They have some gnarly unoptimized code. I mean, have they ever heard of gprof? Or measuring their shader performance? I mean god damn it, that's horrible for any commercial software, let alone a AAA game.

With what I'm doing, I get 100%CPU usage now. I guess it depends on how much you're pushing it. CPU, I'm definitely limited there. Which app are you using to gauge CPU/GPU usage?

neoism

Holy shit LiquidMetal14 thank you for posting your config... :O my game is soooooo much better now. it looks soo goood. :( I played 40 hours before I changed my stuff to your config. thanks man. :p <3

Velz

Neo Member

I know its amazing...

Kyaw

It took me a while to settle on these values

I also added 0.2 pre-sharpening

zPHsH.jpg

cFKgW.jpg

A night and day shot of Markath with the settings applied in both.

Markath is beautiful but you totally butchered it with imgur compression. :p

What i'm trying to recreate is the colour palette of Witcher 2 but it's kinda hard to get it just right and still having that 'cold' tone.

LiquidMetal14

Holy shit LiquidMetal14 thank you for posting your config... :O my game is soooooo much better now. it looks soo goood. :( I played 40 hours before I changed my stuff to your config. thanks man. :p <3

I'm beyond happy to hear someone try some of the settings. I posted that vista shot on this page to illustrate how much clarity and detail is hidden if you leave settings be. It's small and subtle but if you stand around atop a hill you can see the little workers work on the farm and stuff. It's meaningless but it isn't!

And the best part is not a huge performance hit. The lowest I hit is 38 and it's either in a busy town view or something hectic.

Kyaw

I'm beyond happy to hear someone try some of the settings. I posted that vista shot on this page to illustrate how much clarity and detail is hidden if you leave settings be. It's small and subtle but if you stand around atop a hill you can see the little workers work on the farm and stuff. It's meaningless but it isn't!

And the best part is not a huge performance hit. The lowest I hit is 38 and it's either in a busy town view or something hectic.

I'm also using your config btw. Works great and has a lot more tweaked stuff with no performance loss than my own older config.

MrBig

Markath is beautiful but you totally butchered it with imgur compression. :p

What i'm trying to recreate is the colour palette of Witcher 2 but it's kinda hard to get it just right and still having that 'cold' tone.

Eh, it wouldn't have looked much better if I just put them on my server.
No transparency or edge AA, since those would be a waste of resources as the jaggies disappear on my TV, but are blatantly ugly on my primary screen.

I was going for a W2 palette as well. It's quite hard to keep the blue tone that gives the cold feeling without screwing everything else up, so I'm just leaving it as is unless someone else comes up with some great values.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I really would like for these random CTDs to get fixed. I have cleaned, uninstalled sound drivers; etc and I still get random CTDs. They have decreased significantly since I did the sound fix, but I got another today.

JaseC

He can definitely increase shadow res and distance if he wanted. Those LOD settings in my config are also not the highest either. I have a link in the OP that can guide you to some of the lesser discussed settings that cant net you little details that add to to the package as a whole. But all in all, I would say that it's a good config to start with while SLI580's would run that with ease :)

Yeah, I realise that, but even so he's not going to get anything markedly better than what you've illustrated with your earlier screenshots; hence "not much else". There's only so much to be squeezed out of Skyrim in its current state.

Aeana

It'd be nice if somebody put together a configuration thing for mid-range peasants like myself. I have a GTX 560 Ti, 4GB RAM and a wimpy Athlon II X4 3GHz. I've messed around a little bit, but mostly just with shadows and that iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes thing.

Kyaw

Eh, it wouldn't have looked much better if I just put them on my server.
No transparency or edge AA, since those would be a waste of resources as the jaggies disappear on my TV, but are blatantly ugly on my primary screen.

I was going for a W2 palette as well. It's quite hard to keep the blue tone that gives the cold feeling without screwing everything else up, so I'm just leaving it as is unless someone else comes up with some great values.

I'm going to tweak it further tomorrow. 0.2 pre-sharpen seems to make everything pop out better too.

You didn't replace it in it's entirety did you? If you did, well thanks for trusting in my work :)

I replaced everything apart from the graphic card name and shadow settings.

I messed around with shadow settings more but they still look bad regardless if you want them to be rendered relatively far away.

It'd be nice if somebody put together a configuration thing for mid-range peasants like myself. I have a GTX 560 Ti, 4GB RAM and a wimpy Athlon II X4 3GHz. I've messed around a little bit, but mostly just with shadows and that iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes thing.

Try using Liquid's settings but with ugrids at 5.
ugrids is probably the biggest performance changing setting.

Also remember to make backups of your saves and original ini files.

kamspy

Smoke dog: Just check for these two in SkyrimPerfs

bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1

make sure they're both set to 1.

After that, if you're not happy with the shadows, dig in here. I've had mixed results.

JaseC

That's not too far from what I have (E6420 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2-800, GTX 570), though all I've done is just enabled tree and land shadows, and increased the shadow resolution to 4k. I don't want to fiddle around with anything else until the silent crashes are resolved.

Aptos

With what I'm doing, I get 100%CPU usage now. I guess it depends on how much you're pushing it. CPU, I'm definitely limited there. Which app are you using to gauge CPU/GPU usage?

GPU-z for GPU stuff and Task Manager + Resource Manager built into Windows for CPU/memory information.

LiquidMetal14

Yeah, I realise that, but even so he's not going to get anything markedly better than what you've illustrated with your earlier screenshots; hence "not much else". There's only so much to be squeezed out of Skyrim in its current state.

For sure. If I had 2 580's I would probably just bump up shadow detail as there really isn't much else at this point.

@Kyaw, the shadows are definitely something you just have to come to terms with. Either they're going to render far or they will render less but be sharper. You will lose that immersive (pardon the english) look in forests and such and the rendering radius is very noticeable at anything under 1000 exterior distance.

GPU-z for GPU stuff and Task Manager + Resource Manager built into Windows for CPU/memory information.

Are you just pausing the game or alt tabbing? I never bothered to use the task manager. I think I will check now.

Kyaw

@Kyaw, the shadows are definitely something you just have to come to terms with. Either they're going to render far or they will render less but be sharper. You will lose that immersive (pardon the english) look in forests and such and the rendering radius is very noticeable at anything under 1000 exterior distance.

I really hope somebody come up with a 'fix' for the shadows...

Also is anyone using Vurt's Skyrim Flora Overhaul?

I'm liking it so far. Using 4096x4096 textures and 'Sparkling' Trees.

Smokey

Well shit let me load up your config. Can I copy and paste it directly into my directory or no? It's finished installing right now. Going to run your config and play in 3D. I set the game to Ultra everything, is this ok or will your config override that?

MrBig

I would by far go for distance over sharpness. I have it set to 4000 for exteriors. Comes fairly cheaply and helps a lot to not have it seem like there is only one point in the world where the sun shines through the clouds, and its always on you.

JaseC

Somebody over at the Bethesda forums mentioned he's playing with an exterior shadow draw distance of 1000. :/ How he's oblivious to what is surely an assault of shadow fade-in, I don't know.

Top Bottom