• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

Cornbread78

jJqwGRI.png

Original Skyrim release accalades:

Metacritic:
360: 96
PC: 94
PS3: 92

Over 20 million copies sold:
NeoGAF loves Skyrim and it gets the praise it deserves here

Game of the Year Awards:
It won Game of the Year awards from the following publications:
Spike, X-Play, Machinima's inside Gaming, Gamespot, TGN, Gamespy, 1UP, Game Informer, Joystiq, GameFAQs, Giant Bomb, Gamefront, UGO, OXM, Kotaku, Team Xbox, GameTrailers, USA Today Game Hunters, Yahoo, Electric Playground, Split Screen, New York Daily News, Gamingbolt, RipTen, PlanetXbox, Game Revolution, and Destructoid. Plus many other online publications.

Blue Ninja's Previous OT's of Greatness:
Skyrim OT1
Skyrim OT2
Dragonborn OT
Modding discussion thread
Elder Scrolls Community Thread

WIuO4mJ.gif

New Related Threads for the Special Edition:
Special Edition PC Performance Thread
Special Edition Mod Discussion Thread
Special Edition Screenshot Thread

Dbmxm6n.png

Release Date: October 28th, 2016
Initial release date: November 11, 2011 (PS3/360/PC)
Series: The Elder Scrolls
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Bethesda Blog: https://bethesda.net/
Genre: Open world, ARPG
Modes: Single Player Only
Price: $59.99
*Free for PC owners that already bought the game and all three DLC packs or the "Legendary" edition. The free upgrade promotion on the PC is a limited-time offer -- the 28th is the final day. Anybody who completes their Skyrim collection after the 28th will not receive the Special Edition.*

Quick product Links:
Wal-Mart
Best Buy
Target
Amazon
Game Stop
Steam Link

Box Art:
GHjAhGU.jpg

Included DLC:
◾Dawnguard: The debut expansion focused on vampires, giving players the choice to join them or hunt them down alongside the titular Dawnguard organisation. It added new questlines, weapons - such as the crossbow - armours and perks, including skill trees for vampires and warewolves. Dan Whitehead was mostly positive impression in his 7/10 Dawnguard review, saying: "If all you want is a solid side quest and some good loot, this will scratch that itch."
◾Hearthfire: The odd-one-out of the trio, this allowed players to build their own home in one of several pre-set locations, as well as the ability to adopt a child. Closer in line with Fallout 4's base building than a true expansion, it got mixed impressions in our Hearthfire review at the time.
◾Dragonborn: The third and final Skyrim expansion adds the island of Solstheim, and the chance to tame and ride Dragons. New weapons, quests, enemies, armour pieces and Dragon Shouts were also added. It was a sizable add-on and the best of the bunch, earning a 9/10 in Dan Whitehead's Dragonborn review: "This isn't DLC. This is an expansion, like in the good old days."

Dawnguard:
3neUCb7.png

Dawnguard was the first piece of DLC released. Players were introduced to Harkon, an ancient vampire living off the coast of Skyrim. Harkon is opposed by the Dawnguard, an age-old group of warriors who seek to thwart the vampires and avert their ultimate goal: the destruction of the sun. The player can side with either of these factions.

Hearthfire:
IpkrCrk.jpg

Hearthfire was the second piece of DLC released. You can purchase land and build your own home from the ground up - from a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with an armory, alchemy laboratory, stable, garden, and more. Use all-new tools like the drafting table and carpenter’s workbench to transform quarried stone, clay, and sawn logs into structures and furnishings. Even transform your house into a home by adopting children
and protect their homestead from vicious giants and marauding bandits.

Dragonborn:
cCLxaCO.png

Drgonborn was the third piece of DLC released. Journey off the coast of Morrowind, to the island of Solstheim. Encounter new towns, dungeons, and quests, as you traverse the ash wastes and glacial valleys of this new land. Become more powerful with shouts that bend the will of your enemies and even tame dragons. Your fate, and the fate of Solstheim, hangs in the balance as you face off against your deadliest adversary – the first Dragonborn.

PC System Specs:

Minimum:
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB

Recommended:
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition NeoGAF PC Performance Thread

Console Storage Needs:

PS4
20 GB (North America)
33 GB (Europe)

Xbox One
17 GB (North America)
25 GB (Europe)

i8e0iFA.gif

DLsUUdV.png

The game is set two hundred years after the events of Oblivion and takes place in the fictional province of Skyrim

It has been 200 years since Martin Septim sacrificed himself to permanently seal the barriers between Nirn and Oblivion.
With the death of the last Septim, the Empire lost its last legitimate leader. As each province tried to reassert its independence,
it pulled itself apart. It was the dawn of the Fourth Era, but there was no Empire left to greet it.

Much has happened since then. The Mane was assasinated in Elsweyr. The Argonians, tired of chafing under Dunmer slavemasters,
revolted and conquered the south of Morrowind as Red Mountain erupted in the north. The Dunmer scattered to the winds. Titus Mede
seized the Imperial City and became Emperor. The Thalmor seized control in the Summerset Isle and Valenwood, reestablishing
the Aldmeri Dominion. Umbriel, a floating city fueled by the souls of its victims, drew a swath of destruction across all of Tamriel.
The moons mysteriously vanished, only to reappear two years later. The Aldmeri Dominion and the Empire went to war. The Imperial City
changed hands two times in just as many years. The White-Gold Concordat was signed. Hammerfell seceded from the Empire and pushed
back its Elven invaders. The High King of Skyrim was murdered by one of his Jarls, plunging the land into a bloody civil war.

As the sons of Skyrim spilled their own blood, the Elder Scrolls' final prophecy was fulfilled. The chain of events set in motion by
the Eternal Champion came to a grinding halt. The Staff of Chaos, the Warp in the West, the rise of the Nerevarine, the opening of
the Oblivion gates; all these events were omens that our time on this world is limited. And now our time has run out.

Amidst the chaos of war, dragons have returned to Tamriel. These ancient creatures are the heralds of our end, their message
one of fire and death. Now, they sweep across Tamriel, paving the way for their master: Alduin the World Eater, who will
bathe the world in flame until nothing but ashes remain.

But, there is still hope. There is one the dragons fear. In their tongue he is "Dovahkiin"... Dragonborn.

*If this is your first foray into Skyrim, I would recommend taking a look through Blue Ninja's OT1, which includes tons of information on races, class, story lore as well as the world of Skyrim; OT2 includes more information on the DLC as well. Both OTs are linked above.

w6HdC0D.png

Updates from last gen:

Skyrim remastered will have resolution, framerate and visual upgrades

While Bethesda has yet to confirm specifics themselves, it is believed that the PS4 and Xbox One Skyrim Special Edition versions will be 1080p at 30 frames per second; in-line with what we've seen from Fallout 4 on console. As always on PC should expect more customization in this area.

Meanwhile, the visual upgrades on all systems in the Special Edition include:
◾Remastered art and effects
◾Volumetric lighting "God rays"
◾Dynamic Depth of Field
◾Screen-space reflections
◾New snow shaders
◾New water shaders
◾Mod Support on Consoles
◾Native 4K support for the PS4 Pro

PC Upgrades:
PC users will benefit too, with "a visible difference" between the remaster and the 2011 release, with the landscape improved by new assets; plants, mushrooms, stones and extra trees are more liberally dotted around the world. Additions to the lighting also make a significant difference in the visual experience for PC gamers.

◾64-bit support, allowing the game to access more RAM than the original 32-bit edition
◾Support for existing mods as well as those uploaded through Bethesda.net's own Creation Kit
◾Support for saves from the original Skyrim in the Special Edition
◾Available free for existing Steam users who own the original game and all expansions (Dragonborn, Hearthfire and Dawnguard) or the Legendary Edition

Skyrim PS4, Xbox One vs Skyrim Xbox 360, PS3
◾Improved visuals, including remastered, higher resolution art and effects, volumetric god rays, dynamic depth of field and more
◾In-game mod support
◾All post-release DLC - Dragonborn, Hearthfire and Dawnguard - included

Skyrim remastered PC - how does the Special Edition compare to the original?

- Full 1080p, LOD same as PC on Ultra, new assets in game, mod support etc.
- Landscape improved by new assets; plants, mushrooms, stones and extra trees are more liberally dotted around the initial Riverwood village
- New depth of field effect

Comparison image:
4YbaLFP.gif

(gif c/o Eurogamer)
DFmha17.jpg

1d0pRh9.png

doXc6H2.png

MMGX4J3.png

xOMfwur.png

Skyrim remastered mods on PS4, Xbox One, PC
x18Fb8S.jpg

For the first time on consoles, PS4 and Xbox One players will be able to download free mods to Skyrim. The recent launch of mods in Fallout 4 allowed players to customize their adventure with graphical tweaks, new sound effects and even entire new missions, and with 800 mods available from day one on Xbox One, expect similar healthy support for Skyrim upon release.

Mods in Skyrim Special Edition on consoles will be accessed in the same way as Fallout 4 on Xbox One via an in-game menu option. From there, you log into a Bethesda.net account, displaying all supported mods that have been uploaded through the publisher's Creation Kit. On Fallout 4, the storage limit for mods is at 2GB on Xbox One - and pre-release, 900MB on PS4 - though it's unknown what the limit will be with Skyrim: Special Edition.

What mods can we expect to play on console? Though nothing has been confirmed yet, the game's initial trailer gave us some mock up examples as a possible taste, from More Adoptable Children to Faster Wood Chopping, Cats! and Cow Armour - likely a tongue-in-cheek to that infamous Horse Armour Oblivion DLC.

On PC, while you are able to use existing mods in the new release, it will also support those uploaded through Bethesda.net's own Creation Kit library.

*Mods on the PS4 cannot contain user-created assets while XB1 mods can. In addition, players will be allowed to have approximately 1 GB devoted to mods on the PS4. The XB1 allows players 5 GBs of mods.

Bethesda Mod Site:
https://mods.bethesda.net/#de/workshop/skyrim

XB1 Mod Site link
PS4 Mod Site link
Windows Mod Site link

K8Wy7rr.png

gZgN3mK.png
ZeEyMMQ.jpg

n7haLNi.jpg
SWvrWWE.jpg

PS4 Pro Screens:
a5JgnFO.jpg

F4ubTy9.jpg

ALqVQVd.jpg

Digital Foundry Pro Patch Thread:
Digital Foundry Reviews the Skyrim SE with the PS4 Pro

Videos:
Skyrim Special Edition - Worth it? - Exclusive XB1 Footage
Skyrim Special Edition Announcement trailer
Digital Foundry Special Edition vs Original Video
PS4 vs. PS3 Comparison Video
XB1 Mods in action
More Mods in Action
PS4 footage
From one side of the map to the other

fiB2Pc8.gif

Game Reviews:
Bethesda's Statement on Early review copies of their games

Metacritic:
PC
PS4
XB1

Trophies:
PS4 Trophies
XB1 Achievements

*It’s worth noting that those who plan to play the massive open-world game with mods enabled won’t be getting trophies, as mods will disable them. So, Trophy hunters will have to play the game regularly."

Playstation Lifestyle Article

nng0xKU.gif

BAVtRcs.jpg

* Special Thank you to BGBW for the awesome banner as usual! Also, Thank you to Blue Ninja for his review, assets and title (lots of additional info in the OT links above!)

I'm legitimately super excited to replay this. Never finished Dragonborn back in the day and never tracked down all the Daedric quests, so I've got quite a bit of new stuff to dive into even before going to town on mods.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To clarify, the free upgrade promotion on the PC is a limited-time offer -- the 28th is the final day. Anybody who completes their Skyrim collection after the 28th will not receive the Special Edition.

Absolutely loved the game back then and they've definitely improved visuals for this version. Also never played any of the expansions so I'm all over this.

GAF, I need your advice.

Should I play the same type of character I played in 2011, a sword and shield orc? That's my preferred guy in ES games.

OR should I try something new like a khajiit archer?

Also, is this game going to look better than Fallout 4 does (on a high end gaming PC)?

Played it a shit ton on the 360, but I'm so ready to jump back in! Got the pc version this time.

Going with a necromancer/vampire build I think. Only played through the Dragonborn DLC a single time so Solstheim is my first stop!

Rellik

Looking forward to jumping back in on PC, but I'm going to wait until the real mods come over (if ever)

GAF, I need your advice.

Should I play the same type of character I played in 2011, a sword and shield orc? That's my preferred guy in ES games.

Freshen it up a little. Go for something new.

I normally go for a mage type build, so this time I'll go for a weapon.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im curious if they changed up the number of ugrids that load up. One of the ps4 screenshots i saw showing off draw distance looked like the PC version with ugrid set to a high number. Before that would be unstable without modding, hope that is actually now natively in the game without need for tweaking it to get the best view distance (in the PC version I mean)

GAF, I need your advice.

Also, is this game going to look better than Fallout 4 does (on a high end gaming PC)?

I'd try something new, and if you don't like it, it's never to late to become a sword and shield khajit.

Cornbread78

To clarify, the free upgrade promotion on the PC is a limited-time offer -- the 28th is the final day. Anybody who completes their Skyrim collection after the 28th will not receive the Special Edition.

Good point, I'll add this to the OT to make sure that it's clear.

Rellik

Im curious if they changed up the number of ugrids that load up. One of the ps4 screenshots i saw showing off draw distance looked like the PC version with ugrid set to a high number. Before that would be unstable without modding, hope that is actually now natively in the game without need for tweaking it to get the best view distance (in the PC version I mean)

Wouldn't the game being 64bit now mean this should be much better?

Pagusas

Elden Member
GAF, I need your advice.

Try something new. Archer is my favorite build and I highly suggest it to people who dislike the combat in the game. Its very fun (at least to me)

I am fucking pumpped. after 400+ hours and 5 characters I still remember how efficient I became at leveling and gearing up.

Double enchantments almost break the game.

Im only afraid of what my ocd will do to me again as I force myself to travel and not try to complete every damn dungeon I pass

SorchaR

I've got 1000 odd hours in the PC version, and probably half that on the xbox360... I can't wait to dip my toes in again. In a way it will be refreshing to play again without mods, it might get me out of my current rut with the game.

Akoi

Really a big fan of the pc free upgrade. Got my preload ready, looking forward to playing this later today.

-NeoTB1-

I'm ready to dive in once again. I never experienced the DLC, so that will be new to me along with whatever mods I try. Currently reading through the Skyrim Library books. So good.

I'm ready to dive in once again. I never experienced the DLC, so that will be new to me along with whatever mods I try. Currently reading through the Skyrim Library books. So good.

Man, I'm so jealous!

Dawnguard and Dragonborn are both excellent. The changes for being a vampire with Dawnguard are so cool.

GhaleonEB

Going to wait for impressions on the PS4 version, to make sure there are not major technical issues ala the PS3 release. So long as there are not, absolutely double dipping to get this or PS4. Bummed about the mods situation there, though. Those seem like pretty major limitations.

I put well over 800 hours into this on the 360, and I'll actually excited to add to that total.

Storm360

Quick questions

Do mods disable achievements on PC too?

Does it have Steamwork support or will I need a bethesda account?

Sky87

Based on the screenshots in the first posts i'm not sure i will bother waiting for mods to be released properly on PC before starting. Looks great as it is.

What i'm curious about is if the engine will self-lock at 60fps or if we'll need external tools to limit framerate if we're on 144hz monitors with Vsync off.

Effect

Is that "friendly dragons's mod" in the trailers a real thing? I hated how after a certain point you're just constantly attacked by dragons after you fast travel anywhere.

Venuspower

My copy of the game will arrive tomorrow, but I think I will wait for my PS4 PRO before starting the game.

Already played Skyrim back in 2011 on PC. But after a while I used cheats to get 1000000000000 health. Nevertheless... Had much fun with the game. Now I want even more fun. Never played the DLCs. That was one more reason to buy the remastered version.

The only thing I am worried of are the FPS. My 560TI achieves ~45 FPS with WQHD resolution and best settings (incl. HD Textures). And the PS4 version will only run at 30 FPS. I hope the difference will not be that big.

But anyway... I am really excited to experience the whole adventure again.

DeaDPo0L84

Is there any major difference between the Xbox one and ps4 versions outside of mod capacity? Wife is wanting it (me too now) and just want to avoid any possible issues.

I've never played this, if the PS4 version doesn't have any issues I'm probably going to get that. I own the base game + all DLC on Steam but I have a lot of difficulty playing long games on PC. I don't know what it is, the mindset just isn't there.

kris.

Banned
it's gonna be cool playing without having to take 3 hours to download mods, set up an ENB, blah blah blah. game looks gorgeous.

tho of course i'll do that 6 months from now anyways

Zexen

Preloaded on Steam since yesterday, can't wait to see if the several bottlenecked areas will perform better or not with the updated engine. I probably won't play a lot on this new version at first, but once SKSE will be here and maybe Boris's ENB (he is not really enthusiastic about it for the moment), then sure, with 64 bits support, it'll do wonder.

What's up with the different storage size between North America and Europe for consoles?

What i'm curious about is if the engine will self-lock at 60fps or if we'll need external tools to limit framerate if we're on 144hz monitors with Vsync off.
Pretty sure the framerate is unlocked, but I can assure you that you don't want the game to run above 60 fps.

Preloaded on Steam since yesterday, can't wait to see if the several bottlenecked areas will perform better or not with the updated engine. I probably won't play a lot on this new version at first, but once SKSE will be here and maybe Boris's ENB (he is not really enthusiastic about it for the moment), then sure, with 64 bits support, it'll do wonder.

What's up with the different storage size between North America and Europe for consoles?

Pretty sure the framerate is unlocked, but I can assure you that you don't whant the game to run above 60 fps.

Size difference is multiple languages I'd guess.

Top Bottom