• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition |OT| Winter is Here

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally decided to install the SE and mod it. Can't say I'm seeing a difference over the modded original. Maybe when I set foot in some forests I'll see something.

Also excited to hear more about the Switch version. Portable Skyrim has me more excited then anything else on the platform aside from Mario/Zelda.

Nameless

anyone excited for switch?

portable elder scrolls have come a long way lol

tumblr_og79tnWdBd1qj3nlko1_540.png

Honestly I can't think of many things less appealing than playing a Scrolls game on a tiny screen.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Finally decided to install the SE and mod it. Can't say I'm seeing a difference over the modded original.

From what I gather (and hope!) the 64-bit architecture makes for a much more stable game. If you're modding mostly graphics than yeah ... you're still replacing the new textures with custom ones. It's like buying a new car and immediately re painting it then complaining you can't see the original color. Throw in RLO or ELFX and the only noticeable improvements will be under the hood.

I'm waiting to mod SE until SKSE64 and SkyUI are out so I can't attest to stability I'm hoping for. However my modded Fallout 4 is incredibly stable compared to my modded Oldrim. No more memory wall makes playing with 4K textures so much easier. My Oldrim struggles with mostly 2k due to memory constraints. Hopefully this indicates stability improvements.

GhaleonEB

I've been running into some very persistent law enforcement.

Last week, I notched a small bounty for killing Thalmor on the roads of Whiterun Hold. Really, they should pay me to clean up the roadside trash, but whatever. As usual, Shadowmere was my witness. She always rats me out.

Someone tries to arrest me when I enter Whiterun, so I just hightail it out of there, hop on my steed and head to my house to the north of the city. I had loot to drop off.

Loot dropped, I hit the crafting tables for a bit and then head for the exit. Which is when a Whiterun guard walked in. I reflexively used frost breath on him.

C5Kp_U_VMAAho_T.jpg

I didn't want a corpse in my house, so I used a dual-cast Calm spell and hoped he'd head for the exit. He did...sort of. Instead of going out the front door, he takes a tour of the house, heading upstairs.

C5Kp_kqUcAEop9L.jpg

I head outside to follow him, and find myself getting tagged by arrows from somewhere. After a moment of getting oriented, I find he's climbed onto the freaking roof to ambush me on the balcony. Clever guard is clever.

C5Kp_2lVUAMP0Sa.jpg

But at least I don't have a corpse inside the house. I needed A Whiterun shield to add to my collection anyways.

C5Kp_AUVYAEdmpB.jpg

######

Cue this evening.

I'm working on a lot of goals right now. The DB quest line is complete, I'm chipping away at restoring the Thieves Guild, firing up Dawnguard, working on Daedric quests, and inching toward level 70 and a Legendary Dragon. Just as importantly, collecting a shield from every guard in the hold, as a means to get the achievement for having a 1,000 gold bounty in every hold.

I have a mission to recruit some folks for the Dawnguard, so I head north and pass through Morthal on the way. Reflexively, I cut the throat of a guard in the middle of town. Sadly his corpse sinks into the ground a bit and I can't select him to pick up the shield, so I just high tail it out of town, a 1k bounty on my head. I'll take it.

Arriving in Solitude at night, I get a room at the inn and try to rest...but I can't because guards are following me. That's odd. I check and don't have a bounty in Solitude (yet). Still, I can't sleep. I dump my loot on the Guild contact at the inn, and head out of town.

Near Dragonbridge I notice a ghostly apparition on the highway. It's the Headless Horseman! I see him very, very rarely, and usually in just glimpses. I'm not Shadowmere, but I have an absurd amount of stamina and some potions, so I begin to follow him. I've wanted to see where he goes since Skyrim first came out.

C5KpcQjVYAAFA7U.jpg

It took a really long time, looping over near Markarth, down through Falkreath hold, but finally ending in
Hamvir's Rest
. I'm guessing that's who he actually is. Neat - this has been on my "Skyrim bucket list" for five years.

I hit the rest button to see what time it is real quick...but can't because I'm still being pursued by guards. WTF? Slightly annoyed, I head way up north, past Markarth, to find Sorine Jurard for the Dawnguard. While I'm talking to her - she needs a trinket some mudcrabs snagged - look who shows up, smack in the middle of our conversation:

C5Kpb9rVMAAkk67.jpg

A quick google tells me he's the head of the guard in Morthal. Dude has been on my tail ever since I whacked that guard in the middle of town, all through my pursuit the Horseman. Good heavens. He's three holds away from home!

I tag him with Calm, finish by business with Sorine, and then turn to find he's gone on his way. I head down the path and find Duilis fighting a couple of sabercats. I help him out, then tag him with Calm again. It's a long walk home, but at least now the game doesn't think guards are after me any longer....

C5KpbU_UoAECacC.jpg

####

So way back when I started this character a month ago, my mantra was "play differently". I wanted to try and get out of habits and maybe find stuff I'd never found before. There's been a lot of that.

Little stuff like finding new perches with loot:

C5Aq2IiVMAAj60s.jpg

On the Gildergreen quest, I had someone follow me all the way to the cave, to use Nettlebane, where he stopped me from doing so. It led to an alternate ending to that quest I'd never seen.

I agreed to steal a statue of Dibella for a beggar in Markarth, only to get lured to a bookshelf and get busted in the inner sanctum. Rather than face repercussions, it lead to a full-blown quest I'd never run into.

I found there's a LOT of situational dialogue particular to being a Kajiit. Many of the vendors and shopkeepers are assholes to me (there's a steep overlap with them and Stormcloak sympathizers). I recall a dialogue option where I told someone they didn't look like they were from Skyrim. He said no, and that was something we probably had in common. That line didn't happen when I played a Nord. It's a small thing, but it's so pervasive it really helps provide a different perspective to the events of the game, when your are subject to the constant discrimination and harassment I previously only saw aimed at others.

I found a vampire lair where the master vampire had a shoe fetish, something shared with my character.

C5Kykv7VYAAtq11.jpg

Some random dude's house I burgled in one of the towns had a creepy as hell set up in his living room, with chairs facing a small shrine with a mat and skulls. WTF?

C5KyVdaVUAEDpEU.jpg

I used Frenzy while assassinating the Emperor's cousin, and managed to get nearly a dozen characters at the wedding onto the balcony fighting each other.

C5KyVyeVcAAJ9aQ.jpg

After this character, I need another to do the werewolf and then vampire achievements, and then another to head to Solstheim. I might be done by the time Destiny 2 comes out.

I have a lot more to say about the game, but I'll hold it until I'm at least through this character as this is already a mega post.

A couple shots from my Untimely Demises collection:

Almost, but not quite, getting a chest with loot out of a cave before getting killed by bears:

C5KyWGlUYAAH17f.jpg

Getting buried in a mine but still holding that lantern tall. You go guy/girl:

C5KyVHUVUAAoluS.jpg

Everywhere I go, I'm still in love with how the game looks. Skyrim is just a great place to wander around.

C46OhcOUkAEesm1.jpg

You must have quite the reputation among the guards! Is that Chillrend in your 4th screenshot above? Love that sword. I got it fairly early and never did find or craft a better one-handed sword. It was a little soul hungry, but gems (even filled ones) aren't that hard to come by. I never got tired of freezing an enemy mid-fight and having them fall to the ground to get pummeled to death by Lydia and I.

Finished up the main quest late last week and Dragonborn over the weekend. 130+ hours later I'm almost wondering where the past month went, but I certainly enjoyed my time in Skyrim. I don't think I've ever played a game that inspired a sense of exploration and freedom like this.

I have to knock out some backlog (RE7 and Gravity Rush 2 in particular), but I'd like to come back to get the full effect of mods (as much as the PS4 can anyways) at some point. Thanks for the tips and such everyone. And it is always great to hear my fellow adventurers' stories.

KiteGr

Question!

I've been thinking of getting skyrim for a long time, exclusively for the mods.
Obviously that strikes out any console version including the semi mod friendly console special editions.

How does the Special Edition on PC fares in terms of mods.
Does the old ones work?
Does it has the same limitations the console versions have?
Should I get instead the standard edition?
Do I get access to the standard edition if I buy the special edition from Steam?

GhaleonEB

Question!

I've been thinking of getting skyrim for a long time, exclusively for the mods.
Obviously that strikes out any console version including the semi mod friendly console special editions.

How does the Special Edition on PC fares in terms of mods.
Does the old ones work?
Does it has the same limitations the console versions have?
Should I get instead the standard edition?
Do I get access to the standard edition if I buy the special edition from Steam?

I don't have the PC version, but you can ask specifically about mods in the mod thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303163

Whatever you do, get the edition with all the DLC. It adds a lot to the game.

Hey sorry for the bump but I've been thinking of buying this for PS4 but want to know how have the influx of mods been now that it's been awhile?

Is the Xbox version still better? How do the mods compare? I guess what I really want to know is what system to buy it for excluding pc?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Hey sorry for the bump but I've been thinking of buying this for PS4 but want to know how have the influx of mods been now that it's been awhile?

Is the Xbox version still better? How do the mods compare? I guess what I really want to know is what system to buy it for excluding pc?

Xbox is surprisingly solid when it comes to mods. PS4 Pro is prettier but still hamstrung by lack of original assets. I would absolutely go Xbox if mods are important to you.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, what platform?

I've played it on Xbox and PC and I have had zero issues. Well, for a Bethesda game.

I've had more crashes on the PS4 - no mods - than I did in all the time I played on the 360. Probably a couple dozen at this point. Pretty random, too. Luck seems to be a factor.

I got this from the BestBuy sale and I forgot how bad the archery is. I'll have to reroll, I went with a Wood Elf thinking I'd play the archer.

Unai

I got this from the BestBuy sale and I forgot how bad the archery is. I'll have to reroll, I went with a Wood Elf thinking I'd play the archer.

Archery is god tier in this game. I wouldn't play it any other way. I mean it in both effectiveness and fun factor.

Edit: That being said, you don't actually need to reroll. The 5 or so skill levels that a Wood Elf would have less than an Orc in say, two hand, can be earned in a matter of minutes.

GhaleonEB

Archery is fantastic in this game, both the mechanics and the abilities, as UnaiGamer said. All my favorite builds center around archery and stealth. It's hugely satisfying. What don't you like about it?

At any rate - I'm still playing this almost daily. Knocked off two more achievements last night (picked my 50th pocket, and racked up my 9th 1,000+ bounty, completing my collection of hold guard shields in the process). Dawnguard is done, Daedric quests (and the Oblivion Walker achievement) down. At this point Nei needs to build her 3rd house, level high enough to slay a legendary dragon, and finish up a few book collections (I need one volume of A Dance in Fire).

My biggest accomplishment was finding every volume of the 12-part 2920 series. Every character I've ever made, dating back to the 360, has had that as a mini-goal. Now to actually read them. :D

(I've been reading books steadily, taking them out of a chest a and moving them to shelves as I do. I've always tended to collect them but not read - there are some great stories in there.)

I feel you about the archery. Having never played it before I went with an archer due to many others suggesting that this was the way to go. I wasn't a big fan of it until I got deeper into it's perk tree. Once you get the time slowdown and quick draw, and bump up the damage and critical hit chance it feels great. And if you're going for a sneak archer get the sneak attack to take huge chunks out of enemies before they see you.

Enchant your bow too, to pile on some extra elemental damage.

I thought it paired nicely with conjuration magic. I'd have a companion with me, conjure up some "human shields", and then pick away at enemies with the bow while they dealt with the others.

I feel you about the archery. Having never played it before I went with an archer due to many others suggesting that this was the way to go. I wasn't a big fan of it until I got deeper into it's perk tree. Once you get the time slowdown and quick draw, and bump up the damage and critical hit chance it feels great. And if you're going for a sneak archer get the sneak attack to take huge chunks out of enemies before they see you.

Enchant your bow too, to pile on some extra elemental damage.

I thought it paired nicely with conjuration magic. I'd have a companion with me, conjure up some "human shields", and then pick away at enemies with the bow while they dealt with the others.

I'm not to thrilled with the slowdown effects in the game since they mostly slow you down as well.

Pagusas

Elden Member
everytime I see this thread bumped I get exciting thinking the SE SKSE is out, always disappointed :( Will I never get my Skyui back?

GhaleonEB

I'm jumping back in directly after Platinuming Horizon Zero Dawn. There is just so much jank in Skyrim it was a shock.
That'll do it. On top of the normal Bethesda jank, you're going from a state of the art 2017 game to one that is, despite the new coat of paint, from 2012.

I'm not to thrilled with the slowdown effects in the game since they mostly slow you down as well.

The slowdown affects enemies more than you. You slow down something like half as much as they do, so you come out ahead.

owlbeak

Did the PS4 Pro framerate issues (drops below 30 after the first patch for SE came out) ever get fixed? I stopped playing after that patch hoping they'd fix it and want to dive back in if so!

geedundee

Neo Member
surprised this thread really slowed down as a good few of the old mods are now available(on the pc),
helgen reborn, imaginator, falskar....
been playing for years but never got the main quest done, got the horn
never did much more.
was looking to liven it up a bit so installed sands of time on a current play through new save, no problems.

when first installed i was getting random attacks every 30 seconds but a mess about with the settings and thats down to once every 10/20 mins and with 3 followers, no problems.

did the first dawn guard mission. first dungeon with sands of time installed had done this quest on oldrim. sands of time added maybe 30 more enemy spawns skeletons spiders draughr, but gives you a heads up when its happening ( a wee msg saying something like ive got goose bumps)

was a laff to see 15 skeletons suddenly pilling down the stairs

DjRare

Neo Member
Did the PS4 Pro framerate issues (drops below 30 after the first patch for SE came out) ever get fixed? I stopped playing after that patch hoping they'd fix it and want to dive back in if so!

Still the same problems of framerate on PS4 Pro ...

burnfout

So I started the PS4 version with a lot of mods turned on, but after 30 hours I didnt feel like playing with mods anymore. I felt the loot wasn't earned, the leveling to fast and I also missed getting trophies.

So I restarted without mods again, playing very slowly, pickpocketing a lot, burglarising some homes, slowly building my gold wallet.

I am so deeply in love with this game, a lot of times I just walk around listening to the soundtrack and exploring the wilds.

This game is in my top 3 of all time definately .

Please keep the stories coming, they are awesome to read.

oneils

Interesting timing. I found out that the hunter born modder released a version for special edition and I spent all Friday night and Saturday morning building a modded version of skyse.

Settled on about 70 mods, half of which are texture mods. Looks fantastic and is fun. Definitely worth checking out frostfall, campfire, wet and cold, hunter born and ineeds.

burnfout

I know more about plant life in Skyrim than in real life.

Oh that's Nirnroot, that's Tundra Cotton, that's Deathbell, that's Nightshade..

This game feels so much like home to me, it's insane.

Slythe

Looking for input as I'm looking to reinstall and finish my first play through of this game on PC (my save is at around 15 hours).

I love SkyUI, but it's not available on SE. Well, the most recent version isn't available for SE, and won't be for the foreseeable future.

So should I reinstall vanilla with the latest SkyUI, or play SE with SkyUI 2.2 (last version that didn't rely on SSE)? Are the better graphics of SE worth the worse interface and constant error message on the top right of the screen?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'd go vanilla with a few dozen graphics mod and an ENB preset.

However SSE is much more stable so if you run into a lot of mod conflicts or crashing it might be more viable.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide if SKSE is a deal breaker. Remember - it's coming to SSE eventually!

Slythe

I'd go vanilla with a few dozen graphics mod and an ENB preset.

However SSE is much more stable so if you run into a lot of mod conflicts or crashing it might be more viable.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide if SKSE is a deal breaker. Remember - it's coming to SSE eventually!

Thank you! I think I'm going to stick with vanilla + SkyUI and make the jump if/when SSE drops. I don't do very well with modding Skyrim visually (always end up with purple rocks) so I'll probably just stick with vanilla graphics.

JoeBoy101

surprised this thread really slowed down as a good few of the old mods are now available(on the pc),
helgen reborn, imaginator, falskar....
been playing for years but never got the main quest done, got the horn
never did much more.
was looking to liven it up a bit so installed sands of time on a current play through new save, no problems.

when first installed i was getting random attacks every 30 seconds but a mess about with the settings and thats down to once every 10/20 mins and with 3 followers, no problems.

did the first dawn guard mission. first dungeon with sands of time installed had done this quest on oldrim. sands of time added maybe 30 more enemy spawns skeletons spiders draughr, but gives you a heads up when its happening ( a wee msg saying something like ive got goose bumps)

was a laff to see 15 skeletons suddenly pilling down the stairs

This is me, everytime I open this thread, looking for news on SKSE SE:

IgMyx.gif

burnfout

Pickpocketing is so much fun, I joined the Thiefs Guild and started by robbing everyone blind.

Leveled up pickpocketing 15 levels and got a bunch a loot and a lot of gold.

GhaleonEB

Pickpocketing is so much fun, I joined the Thiefs Guild and started by robbing everyone blind.

Leveled up pickpocketing 15 levels and got a bunch a loot and a lot of gold.

The ability to put poison in people's pockets, and eventually literally rob the clothes off their backs is amazing. The most mischievous of perks.

I'm on my final character now, working through Dragonborn. I forgot 1) how good all of Solstheim's content is, and 2) how hard it is. It's kicking my ass, but I'm loving it. I arrived on the island at level 17, on Master. That's on me. Slowly climbing the power curve, though. Very slowly.

I started a new game on Solstheim to try to get a full set of bonemold armor. It worked but it also feels wrong to skip iron and steel armor entirely.
What to do?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The ability to put poison in people's pockets, and eventually literally rob the clothes off their backs is amazing. The most mischievous of perks.

I'm on my final character now, working through Dragonborn. I forgot 1) how good all of Solstheim's content is, and 2) how hard it is. It's kicking my ass, but I'm loving it. I arrived on the island at level 17, on Master. That's on me. Slowly climbing the power curve, though. Very slowly.

It's a hilarious but ultimately pointless perk.

LogicStep

Is there a point to having a companion as a pure mage? It's my first mage character. I feel like an atronach is enough?

Also I'm playing in adept and it feels ok, I'm not sure if I should hike up the difficulty. I've played around 50 hours of this game before as a stealth Archer but I barely saw much of the world and now I got the special edition hoping to see much more.

GhaleonEB

Is there a point to having a companion as a pure mage? It's my first mage character. I feel like an atronach is enough?

Also I'm playing in adept and it feels ok, I'm not sure if I should hike up the difficulty. I've played around 50 hours of this game before as a stealth Archer but I barely saw much of the world and now I got the special edition hoping to see much more.

Everything shy of Legendary setting, you'll pull ahead of the leveling curve and become incredibly powerful. While you want that to a degree it can make the game too easy and therefore boring to me. Sometimes I start on one setting and bump it up later on when I pull too far ahead. You should just use the difficulty to make it fun.

DeaDPo0L84

I bought this on Xbox One to mess around with the mods. I loved Skyrim when it initially launched and figured mods would be the only way I would play through it again. Unfortunately mods kinda ruined my motivation to play. I understand you dont HAVE to download mods but I found myself more interested in what a mod does versus actually progressing in the game. Plus it sucks that even ones that strictly deal with weather or other visual upgrades disables your trophies. I want to go back to it cause I have never played the DLC but the thought of starting over from scratch is a bit disheartening.

Has anyone had this happen?

PS4 Special Edition- Load Times are like 10+ minutes right now. Tried to boot into safe mode and do rebuild database.

What could this be? No mods equipped either.

Has anyone had this happen?

PS4 Special Edition- Load Times are like 10+ minutes right now. Tried to boot into safe mode and do rebuild database.

What could this be? No mods equipped either.
Afaik the game still has the issue where dead enemies drop their weapon without the unofficial patch. Over time this could make the save file pretty big. But I don't think this is the main cause in your case.

As this game will recieve a Xbox one x patch,

What do you guys expect? Can mods utilize the increased performance? Tempted
Will it run in 4k? That will eat up most of the additional GPU resources but it should still run better than on the normal Xbox.

StereoVsn

I bought this on Xbox One to mess around with the mods. I loved Skyrim when it initially launched and figured mods would be the only way I would play through it again. Unfortunately mods kinda ruined my motivation to play. I understand you dont HAVE to download mods but I found myself more interested in what a mod does versus actually progressing in the game. Plus it sucks that even ones that strictly deal with weather or other visual upgrades disables your trophies. I want to go back to it cause I have never played the DLC but the thought of starting over from scratch is a bit disheartening.

On PC there is a mod to re-enable trophies but that wouldn't work on Xbone since it involves external dll.

ephemeral

After becoming bored and annoyed of using archery I've decided to start a melee character. I know it's no Dark Souls or God of War, but If I want to experience the best combat possible, would you recommend 2H, dual wield, or shield? Dual wield seems mind-numbingly easy since it leaves you unable to block. But is it even possible to parry attacks? Otherwise I might as well go for dual wield anyway to make the fights faster.

Thanks in advance.

ajb1888

Banned
After becoming bored and annoyed of using archery I've decided to start a melee character. I know it's no Dark Souls or God of War, but If I want to experience the best combat possible, would you recommend 2H, dual wield, or shield? Dual wield seems mind-numbingly easy since it leaves you unable to block. But is it even possible to parry attacks? Otherwise I might as well go for dual wield anyway to make the fights faster.

Thanks in advance.

Going to town on bandits as a 2-handed barbarian is a lot of fun; Fill out the perk tree :)

Top Bottom