• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "elephants" coming to gaming: Google, Apple, and Amazon. Where are they now.

Make no mistake, these 3 tech giants know and are aware of the gaming industry.
In their own way...:(ecosystem):
  1. They can make hardware.
  2. They can make software.
  3. They have an audience... or rather, they attract non gamers
  4. They have the money.
With that said, what do you think they could bring (as improvements) to gaming that our current big names cant. (touchy) and as gamers, what do you worry about the most, if any, with these 3

What we know so far.....

GOOGLE
Project "Stream'

What it is: Game Streaming (Official Blog Post) (Sign up to test it)

APPLE
Metal 2 (API)

What is it: An application programming interface (API) similar to Vulkan and Direct X 12 (Official Page)

AMAZON
Amazon Game Studios (AGS)

What is it: a division of the online retailing company Amazon that focuses on the development of video games.

chriskun

I think a problem with these companies is that none of them focus on or do well with specific things with maybe Apple being the exception in that statement. They more so offer a set of services that are cheap eough or free to offset their quality. Games need to be good, or they basically dont exist and therefore arent worth the investment.

Kreydo

I have played the alpha of Amazon "survival" MMORPG called New World.
It's not bad for a first game from young studio, clearly they have the tech and the money behind... But the game is just not fun and thinked properly.
You can feel a big lack of experience and understanding about MMORPG sandbox mechanics.

Last edited:

Domisto

Apple is a funny one. It markets to creatives/prosumers and that means a lot of devs, especially indie, use it. So there are loads of cross platform games now compared to past. And iOS gaming has taken off fine with a big market. But there are still a lot of games, often AA and AAA, not getting Mac versions. That might be because people who have a Mac also have a console or Windows box so the demand isn't there for the effort to port. I don't know all the technical side *shrug*.

But it still strikes me odd as the Apple market share is doing okay, but maybe wrong demographic buying. High price and historic image of non-gaming machine remains a barrier for them being a big player for gamers. Even so they are bringing a lot to gaming through the artists/musicians/mobile. That's probably their strength and staying focused on that market might be best long term. The big worry is stagnating ideas, it's hard to stay innovative after a solid run from the mid 00s.

dirthead

Banned
Apple is a funny one. It markets to creatives/prosumers and that means a lot of devs, especially indie, use it. So there are loads of cross platform games now compared to past. And iOS gaming has taken off fine with a big market. But there are still a lot of games, often AA and AAA, not getting Mac versions. That might be because people who have a Mac also have a console or Windows box so the demand isn't there for the effort to port. I don't know all the technical side *shrug*.

But it still strikes me odd as the Apple market share is doing okay, but maybe wrong demographic buying. High price and historic image of non-gaming machine remains a barrier for them being a big player for gamers. Even so they are bringing a lot to gaming through the artists/musicians/mobile. That's probably their strength and staying focused on that market might be best long term. The big worry is stagnating ideas, it's hard to stay innovative after a solid run from the mid 00s.

Apple has catered to/encouraged the perception that their consumers are snooty artist types that are too high brow for lowly video games. They still haven't shaken that. It's largely due to the idiocy of Jobs and will take a long time to fade away completely.

Having said that, all three of these companies (and Microsoft) are trash, wouldn't know fun if it kicked them in the ass with size 16 boots, and I'd honestly prefer it if they'd just bug off. Gaming needs to get smaller and a bit more niche. It's not going in the right direction.

Domisto

Apple has catered to/encouraged the perception that their consumers are snooty artist types that are too high brow for lowly video games. They still haven't shaken that. It's largely due to the idiocy of Jobs and will take a long time to fade away completely.
Polo necks. :pie_disappointed:

I like to imagine that an Apple console and first party games would have the budgets of Microsoft AAA games but be in a more artistic direction than most of what Microsoft puts out.

Or at least, it would have been around a decade ago, today I'm sure it would be the most frou frou SJW bullshit imaginable.

Same goes for Google.

So no, I don't think we need either Google or Apple in the AAA gaming market, the western gaming industry is already being taken over enough by the cult like SJW silicon valley mindset, Amazon on the other hand is already dipping their toe and what they're doing looks interesting, so we'll see how that goes, I don't get the vibe that Amazon is quite as SJW as the silicon valley companies, being of the Seattle variety much like Microsoft or Valve.

I do wonder what a 2000s era Apple console would have been like though, it's an interesting "what if?"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
They need the devs.

And if they want to go hardware route what’s the hook?

They are great at what they do but the main players have the experience and the knowledge to back it up.

Apple won’t kill the iPhone and Apple did try game son Apple TV they are usually iPhone games.

But how are Genki and other games streaming services doing ?

If Apple google and amazon go at it the wrong way they will end up throwing money against the wall

Domisto

I do wonder what a 2000s era Apple console would have been like though, it's an interesting "what if?"
I wouldn't be surprised if it was discussed. But the Bandai Pippin probably put them off and Xbox got in quickly. I can see them making the tech but with no space in the market I can't imagine how they'd hook a player base. Gonna need some serious USP.

Amazon are really well placed to take on Steam. Kind of weird they haven't pushed harder after snagging Twitch. Of course the amazon site design is a pile of crap so bodes badly. As is their half arsed attempt at selling games via Twitch. Could do with some Apple design help, ha. With Epic now chucking money at the problem guess they'll sit back and watch the fireworks taking notes.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was discussed. But the Bandai Pippin probably put them off and Xbox got in quickly. I can see them making the tech but with no space in the market I can't imagine how they'd hook a player base. Gonna need some serious USP.

Amazon are really well placed to take on Steam. Kind of weird they haven't pushed harder after snagging Twitch. Of course the amazon site design is a pile of crap so bodes badly. As is their half arsed attempt at selling games via Twitch. Could do with some Apple design help, ha. With Epic now chucking money at the problem guess they'll sit back and watch the fireworks taking notes.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Apple discussed and contemplated throwing their hat into the video game industry.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s not time yet, what they are focused on now is gaining and keeping people into their eco systems. When ever technology improves enough to where every tv can be console we will see them start to really push it, but again the key is to grow those user numbers for now.

I think theyll only put out a streaming service for their own hardware when the time is right. and Its still not right.

in a gen or two i'm sure, but that doesnt mean we wont see them release games.

Kdad

Amazon will buy SONY's consumer divisions including PlayStation/movies/music to quickly bolster thier various streaming services that exist or will exist....or....Rakuten will.

iconmaster

Banned
Apple has basically given up.

There was a point in time where it seemed inevitable they would become a force in gaming. They had an app store, a set-top box, and controller support (though never a first-party controller; perhaps that was part of the problem).

The moment I realized Apple was done as a serious Sony/MS competitor was the day support ended for Minecraft on Apple TV -- not because MS wanted to disadvantage Apple, but simply because there was no interest in it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
None of these giants need gaming. They can make fortunes just off their existing marketplaces in the same way that the success of Steam basically made Valve stop producing its own games.

cryptoadam

Banned
They are all waiting for streaming to become viable.

Hardware is a fools game with huge sunk costs that might not bring a return.

Apple is waiting for someone to do it first and then leverage their brand and audience to swoop in (and of course charge a premium ya know the apple tax).

Google is also a company that loses focus to easily. Nexus player, Google cube, a zillion messaging apps. Google can be into streaming today and then shut the whole thing down tomorrow.

Once MS or EA or PS get a streaming service up and running, Google/Amazon/Apple will use their internet expertise/money/audience to copy those services.

I for one think this will be a good thing. With these huge players involved it will push tech forward and prices down.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I for one think this will be a good thing. With these huge players involved it will push tech forward and prices down.

I don't see it that way. If everyone jumps in there's going to be a lot of duplication of content because demand will vastly outstrip supply. This in turn will devalue the services, and slow down their uptake. The reality is that content is king, and unless these big players somehow managed to greatly increase and maintain the production of killer titles, there's going to be zero impetus for audience retention.

Hudo

Google won't stick with a gaming platform if it doesn't sell like bonkers immediately. Google are notorious for dropping support fast. As a developer, I generally don't trust them, except for Android maybe.
Go is alright as well, though I would contribute that more to Rob Pike and Brian Kernighan themselves...

Apple are a curious case. They seem to have all the pieces in place to do it, except for first-party devs. On the other hand, no one at Apple seems to be passionate enough to steer the company into gaming. It feels like they are happy with where they are in the gaming space.

Amazon might probably try to compete in cloud gaming, seeing that their game devs (Amazon Game Studios) and their AWS are basically a perfect match for that. If I remember correctly, they even have a MMO in development, which shouldn't be too surprising.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't see it that way. If everyone jumps in there's going to be a lot of duplication of content because demand will vastly outstrip supply. This in turn will devalue the services, and slow down their uptake. The reality is that content is king, and unless these big players somehow managed to greatly increase and maintain the production of killer titles, there's going to be zero impetus for audience retention.

I look it that at the begining the competition will push the tech forward and the prices down. Over time though eventually the opposite will happen. I look at Netflix and movie streaming as an example.

Once Netflix started to become popular streaming tech moved really fast to the point where we got 4K streams and mulitple competitors with tons of orginial content. But now that the service is established we are starting to see prices rise and fracturing.

So at first we will get cheap services pushing the tech with tons of bonuses to get customers. Once the leaders are established then we will start to see a trend of rising prices, crushed competition and less value offered to customers.

JCK75

Google is still trying but honestly their platform is my go to now that the Steam Link App is out, that gives me little reason to purchase games from any source except PC clients.

cryptoadam

Banned
None of these giants need gaming. They can make fortunes just off their existing marketplaces in the same way that the success of Steam basically made Valve stop producing its own games.

An article just came out that smart phone sales are actually down and have been on the decline. Google/Apple always need to grow to make investors happy. Stagnant profits mean stagnant stock price, unhappy investors. So they will need to explore new frontiers and gaming is huge business.

Amazon ya they don't need it, but Amazon wants to own everything. I can't see them being happy Google or Apple are making bank of gaming while Bezos only has 100 Billion. He needs MOAR.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I think one of the largest problems these companies face is their own greed and how it is at odds with their customer’s expectations.

These boxes would be littered with adds, bloat, and likely forms of accepted spyware. All would have monthly subscription costs and unnecessarily hide features behind the paywall.

This wouldn’t go over well with gamers and these companies would be unwilling to make a device without continuous cash flow from existing devices.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I look it that at the begining the competition will push the tech forward and the prices down. Over time though eventually the opposite will happen. I look at Netflix and movie streaming as an example.

Once Netflix started to become popular streaming tech moved really fast to the point where we got 4K streams and mulitple competitors with tons of orginial content. But now that the service is established we are starting to see prices rise and fracturing.

So at first we will get cheap services pushing the tech with tons of bonuses to get customers. Once the leaders are established then we will start to see a trend of rising prices, crushed competition and less value offered to customers.

Where's the content going to come from though?

It takes a lot of time, money and expertise to make a game, especially a big eye-catching one. Netflix can source a lot of content quickly and cheaply because it can pull material from global TV and Film markets, as well as stuff it funds itself. These markets are largely self-sustaining and the product itself often has multiple revenue streams.

Its also worth noting that all content Netflix and other video streaming services serve is technologically homegenous, whereas games absolutely are not. The biggest players in gaming all run on proprietary hardware and software systems, often within their own ecosystem, and this has been the case for the history of the business.

Its really not that simple. Apple would need to source their properties largely from within their own ecosystem because that's their tech base, and its distinct from all others. Google are the same but with Android replacing IOS. Amazon have a mix on their storefront bit have minimal experience themselves with gamedev, and so would likely have to draw their product from a PC space occupied already by a multitude of competitors all seeking to provide their own distinctive service.

Its a bear-pit.

BANGS

Banned
I look forward to the competition, but I have a feeling they'll all be disappointments. Still, having them around can't hurt...

So far out of those 3, only Amazon has a first-party studio pumping out mobile games. None of them have serious gaming studios, but of course they could always buy their way into it.

cryptoadam

Banned
Where's the content going to come from though?

It takes a lot of time, money and expertise to make a game, especially a big eye-catching one. Netflix can source a lot of content quickly and cheaply because it can pull material from global TV and Film markets, as well as stuff it funds itself. These markets are largely self-sustaining and the product itself often has multiple revenue streams.

Its also worth noting that all content Netflix and other video streaming services serve is technologically homegenous, whereas games absolutely are not. The biggest players in gaming all run on proprietary hardware and software systems, often within their own ecosystem, and this has been the case for the history of the business.

Its really not that simple. Apple would need to source their properties largely from within their own ecosystem because that's their tech base, and its distinct from all others. Google are the same but with Android replacing IOS. Amazon have a mix on their storefront bit have minimal experience themselves with gamedev, and so would likely have to draw their product from a PC space occupied already by a multitude of competitors all seeking to provide their own distinctive service.

Its a bear-pit.

At first the content will come from 3rd parites. Google is testing right now with Assains Creed.

The way I see streaming is that at first 3rd parties will outsource to big players like MS/Google/Apple etc... But once the money starts coming in 3rd parties will make their own services. Just like Netflix. Remember when they had Showtime shows? Or with Disney?

MS will push gamepass and streaming. They are loading up on 1st party content. By the end of next gen 3rd parties will realize why pay MS to stream our games and make pennies when we can have our own streaming service. But until then cloud gaming will be pushed by big money companies to push the tech forward.

Lastyou1

Banned
They have surely the means to make video games.
Do they have the will, the organization, the project, the vision and the quality of releasing something that is not either a shitty mobile game or a a equally shitty cash grab battle royal game?

No.

Amazon, Google and Apple just want a slice of the cake. They will find the shortest, quickest, inglorious way to release a couple of games and then will focus on something else.
Meanwhile, Amazon will still force you to use their overpriced Prime, Apple will still sell shitty overpriced phones without USBs and Google despite having the biggest marketshare of the three will still be irrelevant.
That's why, for now, I just trust Sony and Nintendo. Because they suck in anything else, but they make great video games. Microsoft, after the great 360, really fucked up with the ONE and the ONE X.

A.Romero

Amazon and Google are the only ones serious about getting into gaming and it seems that their interest is on platforms and not so much generating content.

I doubt any of them will pull a Microsoft and try to butt in the market in the traditional sense.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
not a fan of any of these companies. giant tech behemoths that censor whatever frightens the rich and powerful. Google working w China to develop Orwellian social tracking. Apple with it's tight leash anti open source M.O. and censor friendly store. Amazon doing whatever the heck they are doing, they've made themselves the middle man on every transaction on the planet. Bezos the most rich person on the planet.

tbh the longer these three stay out of gaming the better.

Last edited:

A.Romero

not a fan of any of these companies. giant tech behemoths that censor whatever frightens the rich and powerful. Google working w China to develop Orwellian social tracking. Apple with it's tight leash anti open source M.O. and censor friendly store. Amazon doing whatever the heck they are doing, they've made themselves the middle man on every transaction on the planet. Bezos the most rich person on the planet.

tbh the longer these three stay out of gaming the better.

As opposed to say Microsoft?

Sony also tried doing a few anticonsumer things in the past such as pushing their particular brand of DRM to portable music.

Nintendo pretty much had a monopoly in the game market a few decades back.

I don't see why it would be better to live with the companies currently competing in this space as opposed to having new ones join. At the end they are all corporations and make decisions based on other stuff.

JLB

Banned

Having said that, all three of these companies (and Microsoft) are trash, wouldn't know fun if it kicked them in the ass with size 16 boots, and I'd honestly prefer it if they'd just bug off. Gaming needs to get smaller and a bit more niche. It's not going in the right direction.

"Gaming needs to get smaller and a bit more niche"
No Sony and Nintendo as well?
Apart from that, yeah, "Who's gonna pay 500 bucks for a phone" 's Steve Jobs moment was its inherent non-interest of video games.
I have two Macs and definitely would be interesting on an Apple-quality level console, though I'm not so sure how that could work.
Finally, I just simply don't trust Google. They don't stick with products enough. I mean, even successful ones like HO are getting axed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom