• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion The end times are truly here, AOC is making sense over Senators enriching themselves

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
Reminds me of this:

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
I appreciate her bringing attention to it.

I can sort of see both sides. If you're in Congress, and are getting briefed on the outbreak, then that's part of your job. If you find out through your job that shit is fucked, and you tell whoever manages your millions to sell, it just kind of seems like walking and chewing gum to me. You don't want to lose all your money obviously, and can do that and also work on the outbreak. Knowledge of the outbreak was well known, and all over the news for months prior to the stock market crash. China was already instituting the largest quarantine in known history, and everyone knew it.

I'd be a little more outraged if they were profiting off of it directly, instead of just preventing the loss of money. Or if they were negligent in other areas of their job, which they very well could be.

Are there laws against this? Probably, but I don't know the details.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I was just about to post this too. I finally agree with AOC on something.

Senate intel chairman did the same thing:

Last edited:

pennythots

May 14, 2019
I appreciate her bringing attention to it.

I can sort of see both sides. If you're in Congress, and are getting briefed on the outbreak, then that's part of your job. If you find out through your job that shit is fucked, and you tell whoever manages your millions to sell, it just kind of seems like walking and chewing gum to me. You don't want to lose all your money obviously, and can do that and also work on the outbreak. Knowledge of the outbreak was well known, and all over the news for months prior to the stock market crash. China was already instituting the largest quarantine in known history, and everyone knew it.

I'd be a little more outraged if they were profiting off of it directly, instead of just preventing the loss of money. Or if they were negligent in other areas of their job, which they very well could be.

Are there laws against this? Probably, but I don't know the details.
they're gonna go to jail. I'd bet my left nut on that.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Miku Miku

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
We'll see. Not that many people go to jail that are rich. It's possible of course if enough people get outraged over it. No one went to jail over the 2008 crash and that was far worse in terms of fraud and breaking the law.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I think Trump will react to it. He is against this type of shit. I mean, he spent part of today's briefing railing against the stock buybacks corps did that are hurting now.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeresJohnny

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Look beneath the surface and you'll find motive:

Doug Collins is a firm Trump supporter. Is Kelly Loeffler? AOC and the media might be doing Trump's bidding here.

Not sure what Burr's situation is all about, but he gave John Ratcliffe's nomination "a tepid reception" last year. Payback?

Stouffers

Oct 17, 2017
Look beneath the surface and you'll find motive:

Doug Collins is a firm Trump supporter. Is Kelly Loeffler? AOC and the media might be doing Trump's bidding here.

Not sure what Burr's situation is all about, but he gave John Ratcliffe's nomination "a tepid reception" last year. Payback?
Well, this could make the Loeffler/Collins Issue go away. I guess they didn’t teach her how to not inside-trade on that farm she grew up on.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
This is the very definition of insider trading. Privileged knowledge unrelated to your profession, pertaining to security clearances is absolutely forbidden.

Jail time coming.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I think I have a proper punishment for these asshats. They should be taking temps in emergency rooms until the crisis is over.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Any story you tell that involves a rich person with lots of money is going to have people shaking their fists at it. On the other hand, I could see conflicts of interest with politicians holding stocks. I'm ok with them investing, as long as they would be subject to similar rules as corporate officers.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I love Tucker. Once he took off that mind control bow tie, his populism came out.
He has been on fire lately. He started covering the virus months ago saying it was going to end up being a big story. A lot of other networks criticized him for not spending his whole show on impeachment back then.

Reactions: Teletraan1

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Two more

The New York Times, citing public disclosure records, reports Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., sold between $1.5 million and $6 million in stock in a biotech company between Jan. 31 and Feb. 18. The stock price for the company, Allogene Therapeutics, was $21.72 on Jan. 31 and $24.25 on Feb. 18. It was $20.29 as of Thursday.

Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., sold as much as $400,000 in stock, according to the New York Times, all on Jan. 27. The holdings included PayPal, Intuit, Apple, Danaher Corporation and Brookfield Asset Management.

• Fire
Reactions: DeafTourette

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
If you needed a Covid briefing to know that the stock market was going to tank you're probably an idiot or live in a cave. Everybody was getting rid of holdings "right as the stock market went bad", lol, why do you think it kept "going bad"?

I don't understand why people complain about an incompetent government but then attempt to punish anybody who demonstrates competence. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
I don't understand why people complain about an incompetent government but then attempt to punish anybody who demonstrates competence. You can't have it both ways.
Those in power are very competent when it comes to their families and their well being. They wouldn’t be where they were if they were not.

As soon as it comes to us, the American people, they suddenly get a case of incompetence.

Mar 18, 2018
Isn’t this legal? This is how Nancy Pelosi has made a killing over the years. Not to say it isn’t absolutely disgusting.

Christopher

Mar 19, 2005
These people need to be held accountable your suppose to be working for the PEOPLE.

is anything going to happen over this? This is a fucking pandemic and they profited...their SENATORS

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
The problem with preventing this kind of thing is you need the people affected by it to vote for it. It’s not in their interest so it won’t happen.

Jonsoncao

Dec 10, 2006
Irvine, CA
I thought you have to put your investment into a blind trust when serving?

If Tesla went down 300 or so last month wasn't alarming, it was pretty obvious that the yield curve became inverted during mid-Feb that an economic crisis is coming, I dumped my mutual funds.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
it's hard to prove whether they did it based off of private info, or based on the public media end of the world clickbaiting.