• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The entire civil war army VS. 1 modern day special forces unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Who would win in a fight:

1) The entire civil war army, North & South combined, if they could put ALL animosity behind them and fight as one cohesive force

OR

2) The nation's top modern day Elite Special Forces task force - a single strike group of ~6 guys. They're equipped with the latest state-of-the-art equipment and weaponry, and are presumed to be the best at what they do.

RULES:

1) In general, there are no rules. Anything goes. The two groups are in a fight to the death - which side would be left with at least one man standing? That being said...

2) The strike force can only take modern personal weaponry with them. No nuclear bombs, no tanks that the whole team can work together and operate. Basically whatever they can take with them & carry on their person.

Mitleid

Civil war army for sure. Less reliance on technology makes them more adaptable and resourceful.

Also, I bet they're way more of a bunch of hardasses than any modern army.

Zeed

Banned
This has got to be the stupidest thing I've seen all day, and I was watching footage of Huckabee's campaign minutes ago.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Can the special forces unit run out of ammo?

The civil war army would probably win, but you'd have to take into account the morale hit the army would take after their commanders and soldiers keep catching bullets out of no where. They'd probably freak out and scatter.

I_D

Even if all the Civil War soldiers had no weapons, they'd still win.

With that many people, they'd simply charge in and mow the current soldiers down with fists and kicks. The modern soldiers couldn't even hold enough ammo to shoot all of the civil war soldiers. :lol

LuCkymoON

Banned
GDJustin said:
Who would win in a fight:

1) The entire civil war army, North & South combined, if they could put ALL animosity behind them and fight as one cohesive force

OR

2) The nation's top modern day Elite Special Forces task force - a single strike group of ~6 guys. They're equipped with the latest state-of-the-art equipment and weaponry, and are presumed to be the best at what they do.

RULES:

1) In general, there are no rules. Anything goes. The two groups are in a fight to the death - which side would be left with at least one man standing? That being said...

2) The strike force can only take modern personal weaponry with them. No nuclear bombs, no tanks that the whole team can work together and operate. Basically whatever they can take with them & carry on their person.
Without supplies the modern unit would eventually lose, but not before taking out atleast a brigade of Civil War era troops. :D

GDJustin

I'm surprised at these early answers.

I strongly believe the special forces would win. Why couldn't they just use stealth? Set up miles away and snipe the shit out of people. Remember the civil war fighters WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. They would just see their general's head explode.

Coordinated sniping could take out all the senior and much of the field leadership in a matter of minutes, and then all the rank & file would be completely demoralized and directionless.

From there, they could use nightvision to pick people off during the night...

YakiSOBA

this thread is so stupid, that's like asking who would win in a fight... 1,000,000,000,000 dinosaurs vs chuck norris.

chuck norris

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
As long as the infinite ammo cheat's available my money's also on the special forces, from long range. They'd just completely demoralise the civil war army, and being far better trained they'd be able to run away if required. (Hey, if the modern unit gets no vehicles, nor do the civil war guys...)

Mitleid

GDJustin said:

I strongly believe the special forces would win. Why couldn't they just use stealth? Set up miles away and snipe the shit out of people. Remember the civil war fighters WOULDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. They would just see their general's head explode.

Coordinated sniping could take out all the senior and much of the field leadership in a matter of minutes, and then all the rank & file would be completely demoralized and directionless.

The civil war armies were constantly demoralized, though. Organization went to shit pretty quick once rifles started firing, so seeing their CO's head explode probably isn't going to phase anybody. It's kill or be killed after that.

Snipers can only do so much against a raging army of gangrenous, cantankerous good ol' boys rushing at you full speed.

GDJustin

I don't understand why none of you think that the special forces could

A) Stealth themselves away from danger

and

B) forage themselves for food/sustenance for a drawn-out battle.

Just fight under cover of night, with silenced weaponry. Kill as many as you can, then retreat to a safe location during the day. The soldiers would wake up to 1000 dead every morning, with no sign of the enemy. What would THAT do to morale?

SUPREME1

Banned
Terrain?

Leadership wouldn't be out and about in the open to get sniped. They'd be over some mountains somewhere drinking lemonade with a southern bell.

Eventualy, the civies would catch on (they weren't freaking cavemen) and do one of those sweeps over a large area. You'd have hundreds of thousands of soldiers who know the wilderness in a small area.

WTF is that thing over there? It's got a huge third eye on his head?

Oh that, that's just a sam fisher.. from the future.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I guess it would depend on how spread out the civil war armies would be. If they were spread out over multiple states, maybe, just maybe, after a few years or decades, the SF unit would get around and sneak kill them all. Gives them time to keep up with ammo, and the civil war armies have poor communication lines.

But, if they were all grouped together...holy crap, how big of a crowd would that be? How much total space would they take up if they were shoulder to shoulder. You're talking about a few million people, here. No matter how many generals you pop off, if they just take off wildly, firing at everything, you will die. They will find you. Only a nuke placed secretly under the massive army would do the trick. Or, nuke em from orbit. It's the only way.

LuCkymoON

Banned
GDJustin said:

edit~nevermind
you mentioned it being just a fireteam (4-6 men)

in that case they would have to become blood thirsty killers after thier ammo runs out.

GDJustin

ImperialConquest said:
Terrain?

Leadership wouldn't be out and about in the open to get sniped. They'd be over some mountains somewhere drinking lemonade with a southern bell.

Eventualy, the civies would catch on (they weren't freaking cavemen) and do one of those sweeps over a large area. You'd have hundreds of thousands of soldiers who know the wilderness in a small area.

WTF is that thing over there? It's got a huge third eye on his head?

Oh that, that's just a sam fisher.. from the future.

I strongly believe that a SF operative could hide himself in a tree or underbrush so thoroughly that you could walk directly by/underneath him and not see him. Especially someone from the 1800s.

Is the civil war force spread out? Or all in the same area?

The modern SF group could kill thousands and wipe out entire companies of civil war era armies without ever been spoted.

A couple things, the level of mentality and level of training a special forces unit has and the training and mentality a civil war soldier has. You're looking at a man who is a trained in death and survival, and on the other side men who are most likely farmers, factory workers, lumber yard labor etc etc before they were enlisted.

The only limitation that could cause the SF to lose would be ammo.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
GDJustin said:
I strongly believe that a SF operative could hide himself in a tree or underbrush so thoroughly that you could walk directly by/underneath him and not see him. Especially someone from the 1800s.

It's still 3 million against 6 guys. The SF would have to succeed every time, and all the Civil War guys would have to do is get lucky a few times.

Not to mention they'd run out of bullets.

HomShaBom

Banned
GDJustin said:
It's not like these people have no concept of camouflage and stealth, minutemen were doing it in the Revolutionary War.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ImperialConquest said:
Terrain?

Ding dong!

Homonyms aside, that doesn't matter. There are people who are leaders on the battlefield, and their heads are going to be the ones popping with nobody within gunshot range. That's going to encourage running the fuck away. It's also going to make field promotions highly undesirable.

GDJustin

Maybe the special forces could hide a speaker system in the trees and tell the soldiers that it was God speaking to them, and that they needed to kill themselves or kill the person next to them, or burn in hell for all eternity?

Modern technology would seem like freaking magic to these guys.

Some of you lack imagination.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
at least give the SF guys the ability to laser tag targets for air bombings. I mean geez it's only 6 men :lol

SUPREME1

Banned
Another thing... Do you know how many SF have died in Afghanistan?

Keep in mind they have the full backing of the US military, jets, choppers, meds, everything.

This is Afghanistan, where the enemy is not much better equiped/trained than said 1800s civies. Okay.. they're somewhat better equipped. But it still is waaay behind the US military.. and they have killed a bunch of SF.

You propose 6 go against a damn near 3 million soldiers?

:lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, there was a shitload of guerrilla warfare in the civil war, especially by the South.

A fucking speaker system? Ok, in this hypothetical situation, which group is the one misplaced in time? The SF group? Who's holding the audio equipment when they end up back in 1861? The Civil War armies? They'll be alot of confused armed people running around in modern times. Thousands of hit and runs simply because they didn't know what those shiny fast horses are.

LuCkymoON

Banned
GDJustin said:
Maybe the special forces could hide a speaker system in the trees and tell the soldiers that it was God speaking to them, and that they needed to kill themselves or kill the person next to them, or burn in hell for all eternity?

Modern technology would seem like freaking magic to these guys.

Some of you lack imagination.
the battery would eventually run out =P
I more or less imagine these SF guys going in while the armies sleep and killing them in their tents with knives.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
looks like some people haven't heard of Bob DeNard...

Denard%20-%20Gendarmes.jpg

GDJustin

LuCkymoON said:
the battery would eventually run out =P
I more or less imagine these SF guys going while the armies sleep and killing them in their tents with knives.

They could easily kidnap 6 soldiers their size for their uniforms, as well. Infiltrate the ranks.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Are you a scab writing coming up with Time Cop 2?

And again: They're going to run out of ammunition.

HomShaBom

Banned
GDJustin said:
They could easily kidnap 6 soldiers their size for their uniforms, as well. Infiltrate the ranks.
Trying to kill millions of people with knives is going to make you tired, and eventually someone will manage to sound off, then you're fucked.

GDJustin

HomShaBom said:
Trying to kill millions of people with knives is going to make you tired, and eventually someone will manage to sound off, then you're fucked.

Why are you fucked? You're dressed like them! Just run with the crowd ;)

GDJustin said:
I don't understand why none of you think that the special forces could

A) Stealth themselves away from danger

and

B) forage themselves for food/sustenance for a drawn-out battle.

Just fight under cover of night, with silenced weaponry. Kill as many as you can, then retreat to a safe location during the day. The soldiers would wake up to 1000 dead every morning, with no sign of the enemy. What would THAT do to morale?

This wins the Dumbest Thread of the Day Award, besting yesterday's version of the "Should the South Secede From the United States Thread".

Yes, the Special Forces group would have a huge advantage in training and equipment (while it held out). But the pure numbers of men in the Civil War Army would eventually win out. Yes they can use stealth and long distance weapons, but with hundreds of thousands of men, they could easily be surrounded as well. And while their stealth tactics are impressive, they still have to get past sentries to get into these camps to kill people in their sleep. A sentry could easily get lucky and spot them. And if one person cries out in the night, the whole camp could be alerted in seconds.

Modern Special Ops guys are incredibly tough, well trained, killers. But they're not invincible. The sheer number of enemies would eventually wear them down and do them in.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Jeff-DSA said:
Crappy Hollywood directors don't read GAF, do they?

Coming Soon: Strike Force Delta: Civil Unrest
Travel back in time and stop future discretions from ever happening by wiping out all of America with their own special tactical forces! THE PERFECT CRIME.

Karmacide

The civil war army could overrun that tiny unit with just their bare hands. They will take some heavy losses but the numbers difference is too large.

If the Modern unit is acting stealthy, it would take them decades, if not centuries, to kill the entire civil army if they were able to do it well. They'd probably die of old age before they could accomplish such a monumental task.

It would make a fun video game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom