• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Escapist hires on transphobic Brandon Morse

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This was drawn to my attention by some trans friends:
90hEZQZ.png

hzJ5yrO.png

RbgZdB1.png

wRVVunG.png

xGSndoy.png

So yeah...I'm really done with The Escapist now.

Krejlooc

Banned
His korean example is pretty dumb. Korean is a nationality, nothing to do with his argument about biology. One does not have to "look korean" to be born in Korea.

Webhead

Banned
As long as his moral views don't overwhelmingly come out in his work I see no problem with The Escapist hiring him.

i can see your point, but there are a ton of other game sites out there better then escapist, so i dont really care. only time i ever went there was when sterling was there.

that viking tweet made me laugh more then i should have

The Escapist is a real shady organization. After everything that happened with Extra Credit, I only begrudgingly clicked links there because Sterling said he was going to turn it around, but no man can move mountains. Haven't thought about them since his departure.

As long as his moral views don't overwhelmingly come out in his work I see no problem with The Escapist hiring him.

Exactly how I feel as well. I could care less about the guy's personal views. So long as he delivers good video game-related content, who gives a damn?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I know people for whom this decision will determine if they decide to visit and, by extension, support The Escapist in the future. I felt it was worth bringing up

I feel that if Brandon were arguing that black people were subhuman, he would either never be hired, or he would cause an outcry that would get him fired. That's my issue - someone like this shouldn't be a voice of anything, and The Escapist shouldn't give a greater voice to a bigot.

SerTapTap

Oh THAT'S why people were shitting on The Escapist on twitter today, couldn't find WTF was up. But yeah, hiring someone willing to say that in public in a public facing role...no. They that hard up for personnel?

Didn't they also publish that whole "Interviews on gamergate" thing with people with false identities speaking?

Also the whole "why should I have to go out of my way to gender them correctly?" argument is silly. If you called someone Sarah, and they replied that they were actually called Ashley, would you continue to call them Sarah so you don't have to go "out of your way"?

Webhead

Banned
I know people for whom this decision will determine if they decide to visit and, by extension, support The Escapist in the future. I felt it was worth bringing up

Oh yeah, I totally agree. Honestly, I think it's pretty dumb for him to tweet those things too. Essentially, whether people like it or not, what they put on Twitter is also representation of their employer.

Forkball

People pick the weirdest issues to plant their flags on. "I've decided to ridicule transgender people, although they do not affect my daily life whatsoever. This is very important to me."

Didn't they also publish that whole "Interviews on gamergate" thing with people with false identities speaking?

They did two pieces, if I recall correctly.

Female Developers speak about Gamergate, which was, as you might guess, all women.

and Developers speak about Gamergate, which was, as you might guess, all men.

zeox

Exactly how I feel as well. I could care less about the guy's personal views. So long as he delivers good video game-related content, who gives a damn?
Holy shit, I had no idea you have a gaf account. Massive fan of your doom stuff.

Staying on topic though, I agree with this as well. Yeah, the guy seems like a total idiot but if that doesn't come across in the content he'll make then I don't really care

Corpekata

Banned

You're kidding yourself if you think he was hired for anything but those sort of views. They also hired another hardcore Gamergater on the same day and fired a bunch of people. They are very much courting that sort of audience now.

Opto

Banned
hiring a young right wing nutjob is the smart move if you want to monopolize gamergate viewership.

the fucks

Dr. Buni

Never read anything on Escapist and now I will make sure to never even click on the site. Fuck transphobic people. Nah, fuck prejudiced people in general.

Harpuia

The thing is why would a website hire someone like this guy though. Why want to associate yourself with someone like him? It becomes this whole issue of association. People (Like the OP's friends) will not want to go near The Escapist solely because of hiring this guy. And word is/will be getting around; someone just posted the fact on GAF, for example.

This comes into the whole debate of "liking the art, not the artist." To me it boils down to "do I want to support that person?" Some people get skeeved out by the idea of supporting someone so against the lifestyle that they lead. Even if there is a disconnect between what a person does for a living, and how a person lives/thinks.

Can someone explain to me why wanting to change your gender is different from wanting to change your race?

Literally almost every psychologist on the planet can.

But seriously, it's pretty simple. Being black is not a state of mind. We're not taught that our skin is or needs to be a certain colour. Gender, however, has fucktons of shit tied to your brain and psychology.

Ochi

Neo Member
As a minor defense of the escapist: is it possible they weren't aware of this guy's twitter posts?

And even if they are now aware of it (giving them the presumption of ignorance) can they actually fire him for that?

I'm not a psychologist, that's why I asked.

I explained it just then, though frankly the answer should be obvious: gender is more than something physical, race isn't.

As a minor defense of the escapist: is it possible they weren't aware of this guy's twitter posts?

And even if they are now aware of it (giving them the presumption of ignorance) can they actually fire him for that?

Yes. What you say in public can harm your company's reputation, and they have a right to avoid such harm.

JDSN

Banned
The site and its community its slowly transitioning into a gamergate HQ so just like when Polygon was created, I am glad there is a site in which the worse of the worse can be properly contained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom