• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The EU's Digital Markets Act (DMA) and game consoles

Kilau

Gold Member
That's the swindle, though. They ARE general purpose devices. They're all just computers.
So why limit to these devices? TVs, microwaves, coffee makers, calculators, cars, all computing devices.

They're weaseling out of responsibility because politicians don't actually understand technology.

But now politicians suddenly understand because you like the current thing they are doing?

And all ps exclusives on xbox.

Would xbox then still have the "xbox has no games (tm)?

Don't think Sony would port the games.
But Microsoft wuould just develop an edge browser based on chromium on Playstation, that allows you to play Game Pass on Cloud.

That's the easy solution I can see

So why limit to these devices? TVs, microwaves, coffee makers, calculators, cars, all computing devices.

But now politicians suddenly understand because you like the current thing they are doing?

Never said it should be limited. I agree. You should have control over anything you buy. Someone already ported Doom to a microwave.

No, they still don't understand, but Apple and Google have been getting so uppity that even the average person is beginning to realize they're getting railed in the ass.

I don't want any store fronts at all and find it offensive that companies are able to shove their own in your grill to make up for their price dumping on hardware.
But again, nobody wants this. Even on PC, the most open platform there can be, people will refuse to buy a game unless it is on Steam. When faced with unlimited choice, people are choosing the monopoly - this is reality.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Don't think Sony would port the games.
But Microsoft wuould just develop an edge browser based on chromium on Playstation, that allows you to play Game Pass on Cloud.

That's the easy solution I can see
That's true.

But that could mean that epic store and steam could be supported on xbox, which means you technically could play Sony first party games there.

But again, nobody wants this. Even on PC, the most open platform there can be, people will refuse to buy a game unless it is on Steam. When faced with unlimited choice, people are choosing the monopoly - this is reality.
Thanks for calling me nobody! Uh it isn't reality at all. Fortnite is more popular than most Steam games and guess where that is. Which planet are you living on, exactly?

Last edited:
It is literally taking options away, by dictating how people should run their companies. Eu sees status quo of couple of American os providers as infinite state of affairs. After the legislation there is less incentive to create a new os since you can't monetize it the way you want and even if you did eu would find a way to label you as gatekeeper to hopefully get a pie of your success.

I mean 10 percent of global revenues is just absurd. If they wanted to be fair and not self serving, eu would just send cease and desist order. Also 6 months to comply is completely unreasonable time frame.

That's what governments do. They create laws that are supposedly for the good of society. Apple and Google both blow. They need to be dictated to a bit more.

Thanks for calling me nobody! Uh it isn't reality at all. Fortnite is more popular than most Steam games and guess where that is. Which planet are you living on, exactly?
Ok - nobody is a stretch lol. But you only need to look at any thread that ever mentions Epic to see that a very, very large number of people do not even think a PC game exists unless it is on Steam. Or on Gamepass, meaning they don't own it anyway.

Ok - nobody is a stretch lol. But you only need to look at any thread that ever mentions Epic to see that a very, very large number of people do not even think a PC game exists unless it is on Steam. Or on Gamepass, meaning they don't own it anyway.

The attitude that you're talking about is definitely there, and I think it's a an argument AGAINST these stores.

If a business model only works well when it's a monopoly, is it a good business model to begin with?

That's why I always said I hoped every game company in the business would do their own store, then people would finally realize how fucking stupid all stores are.

We need to get back to ownership of games you buy, we need to get away from conflicts of interest, and businesses can pick and choose what they do instead of trying to rule the world.

Want to run a store? Fine, do a store. Want to make video game machines? Fine, make video game machines. When you try to control everything and then start charging people extortion money, it's time to get your ass kicked.

If nothing else, the fact that you have to PAY to play p2p multiplayer games on consoles when it's free on the PC should be a big neon sign letting you that just maybe locked down walled gardens are dumb and bad for you as a consumer.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

People who have developed Stockholm syndrome with their phone's manufacturers should be locked to only installing Windows Store apps on PC

The attitude that you're talking about is definitely there, and I think it's a an argument AGAINST these stores.

If a business model only works well when it's a monopoly, is it a good business model to begin with?

That's why I always said I hoped every game company in the business would do their own store, then people would finally realize how fucking stupid all stores are.

We need to get back to ownership of games you buy, we need to get away from conflicts of interest, and businesses can pick and choose what they do instead of trying to rule the world.

Want to run a store? Fine, do a store. Want to make video game machines? Fine, make video game machines. When you try to control everything and then start charging people extortion money, it's time to get your ass kicked.

If nothing else, the fact that you have to PAY to play p2p multiplayer games on consoles when it's free on the PC should be a big neon sign letting you that just maybe locked down walled gardens are dumb and bad for you as a consumer.
I mean, I get what you are saying, I was PC gaming back when games wanted to install to their own directory in the C:\ root drive. But people clearly no longer see a benefit and no longer care about this anymore, and they have been behaviorally trained to the point where I don't think they ever will again.

Amiga

That's what governments do. They create laws that are supposedly for the good of society. Apple and Google both blow. They need to be dictated to a bit more.
In this case problem is consumer behavior not Apple or Google. If they prevented others from market access then that would be the issue.

Banned
doesn't change much on Android I guess, I already have 3 app stores on my phone that I sideloaded... I often don't really get why Android is brought up in conversations like these all the time... Android is already pretty open, I mean root access makes it even more open but at that point you're doing stuff to change low level stuff in the OS itself to a point usually

on Xbox this will maybe finally mean no weird hidden Emulator apps anymore that you have to install from your browser... but sideloading on Xbox is also ALMOST already a thing... but not quite
Microsoft could dodge this by making Dev Mode completely free tho, and just let you easily install anything you want in that mode (which is already how that mode works anyways, only that it's not free currently)

if this gets enforced on consoles eventually then Nintendo and Sony will have a bigger endeavour ahead

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
I believe if you buy a game you should be able to play it anywhere. After all they keep banging on about cross play so why should I have to double or triple dip.

Lasha

Eu should have mandated that any options also need to be available on the phones default applications. Then people can actually choose. So if a bank wants to access the nfc they also need to offer the default option (apple pay) and if an app wants it own store then it also needs to be offered on apples App Store. Then you’re really giving customers a choice. Cause right now all they’re doing is causing more headaches for consumers.

The iPhones App Store and services are cleaner than android due to apples policies

What bank do you use that doesn't support Google pay? Please share more about this specific issue you are describing.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Good.

Hopefully this will allow me to play Nintendo games on my PS5 and XSS. Can't wait for Mario Kart 8 to be ported over to more powerful consoles and PC.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Tim_Sweeney%2C_GDCA_2017_%28portrait_crop%29.jpg

He just keeps winning.
Until he is forced to advertise valve games like dota 2 in his store and get zero of their revenue.

Last edited:
As a software developer and programmer this list is laughable.

Its almost like the people that involved think that these technologies are just like building blocks. One can just slot in place of another. The integrations would be incredibly complex and require years of intense collaboration to integrate. It would also be borderline impossible to adequately secure such a mish mash of technologies. Apple's ecosystem in particular has integrations that stretch beyond phones across their entire product stack. The amount of resource required to implement something like 'Install any software' or 'Install any App Store and choose to make it default' would be substantial and take a long long time to implement.

It's simply unfeasible.

Top Bottom