• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 16 minutes gameplay video

How the hell did he get to exclusively play this?

The guy gets millions of views per videos, and was the main reason why Flappy Bird became a runaway success. If you want to create some positive press around your game, give it to PewDiePie to preview... unfortunately.

I think the atmosphere looks really awesome, but yeah, there are a few technical issues going on. I'm still buying this for PC though.

I pray to God that this is the 360 version and not XBone version that he was playing with...

If it is indeed the 360 version we shouldn’t have much to worry about with the PS4 version.
Was wondering this as well. Going by the buttons it looks like Xbone maybe?

Also, I thought the PS3/Xbox360 versions only had the black bars?

Oh snap, I saw tentacles come out of that big enemy when he got head shotted. So RE4! ♥

Was wondering this as well. Going by the buttons it looks like Xbone maybe?

Also, I thought the PS3/Xbox360 versions only had the black bars?

Judging by the button prompts it can be either the 360 version or the XBone version I guess.

But if the PS3/Xbox360 versions only have the black bars - then it must be the 360 version?

99% sure this is the 360 version. The xb1/ps4 version look like this

14271120082_e618695212buj0.png

vlcsnap-2014-05-28-22g7jxd.png

vlcsnap-2014-05-28-22fqjzl.png

drotahorror

Oh snap, I saw tentacles come out of that big enemy when he got head shotted. So RE4! ♥

Judging by the button prompts it can be either the 360 version or the XBone version I guess.

But if the PS3/Xbox360 versions only have the black bars - then it must be the 360 version?

It could definitely be the PC version as well. Hope not, looks a bit rough. But it's still early.

Maaaan, a nice solid frame-rate would seriously do absolute wonders for this game....

If this really is the 360 version (probably is) my hype is really high for dat PS4 version.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I really want to see more of this game, but I don't care about it nearly enough to get an earful of pewdiepie while doing it. I guess I'll pass.

SJRB

Gold Member
Jesus does the game run at 10 frames per second at the start? What the hell is going on.

Spoiler: "The Evil Within" actually references to Pewdiepie.

-MD-

Well the frame rate looks abysmal and that can easily kill the game. But this does look like an actual RE4 type shooter. One that understands that you're actually supposed to be vulnerable when you aim and your placement actually matters. A lot of the modern cover based shooters that supposedly took influence from RE4 really missed what made that game awesome. That you really had to think about when and where to shoot. Plus, to make sure those shots count. I do hope this is like RE4 where honestly, I do feel the need to actually use all my guns.

When was the last time you played RE4? You damn near had infinite ammo in that game.

big_z

Yeah I know that, but I still think it’s odd that he got to play this part of the game and upload it even before the gaming press.

its very common for publishers to go after youtubers. with youtube personalities a little money guarantees a 100% positive video where as with press you might get negative feedback. publishers get away with it because even though the youtube videos are in the lets play/quick look format they are actually paid advertising.

SJRB

Gold Member
I love the completely unphased responses from the main character.

Wade through a chest-high pool of blood, zombies everywhere and blood dripping from walls:

"Something seems seriously wrong here", hahaha!

JoJoSono

Banned
When was the last time you played RE4? You damn near had infinite ammo in that game.

Yesterday the PC version. No, you don't have infinite ammo. That also doesn't clash with what I'm saying.

Because in RE4 since you can't move and have a narrow view of aiming, enemies can easily creep on you. So it becomes really tense as you decide well this is the place and time I'm going to attack. So the game really puts an emphasis on aiming as thats the best way to obviously keep them from creeping on you. When people complain about not being able to move and shoot in RE4 it's clear they don't get the game.

This game seems like it's going to be more of that. Which is'nt surprising because Vanquish puts a huge emphasis on killing your enemies as efficiently as possible even though there's a cover system in that game. Even that game has a certain tension to it when you go slowdown into aiming.

Deimo5

Why would they give him the last gen version if this is pretty much advertising for the game? Would want to put your best foot forward.

Haunted

Yeah I know that, but I still think it’s odd that he got to play this part of the game and upload it even before the gaming press.
More views than any video on gamespot or IGN ever could + less critical, easily manipulated audience + positivity that can be bought outright = a winning proposition for any publisher.

Lernaean

Banned
I'm only 2 mins in but i have to say two things.

1) Does the guy ever shut up?

2) Framerate is shit, sadly.

I'll mute it and watch the rest now.

Shauni

While the framerate is somewhat bothering, I still have faith that the issues will be ironed out by release.

ryamkajr

Banned
The "loop" was most likely dying and then replaying from the most recent checkpoint.

Yes, he is annoying. Needs to work on talking less but "saying" more.

GamerJM

Banned
I was thinking it was the PC version since iirc PDP does a lot of PC games (I feel ashamed for knowing this). Perhaps it's not running on a very good PC though?

Renekton

The guy gets millions of views per videos, and was the main reason why Flappy Bird became a runaway success. If you want to create some positive press around your game, give it to PewDiePie to preview... unfortunately.
At least he is no stranger to horror games.

He plays a ton of those.

This is very strange. Wasn't id tech 5 supposed to be locked to 60fps?
It can do 30fps for more visual chops, depends on the developer's needs.

Lernaean

Banned
The "loop" was most likely dying and then replaying from the most recent checkpoint.

No, if you take notice he died, restarted, shot a few and then small cut, loop of the few he shot post death, small cut, then the last shot.

My guess is that something happened when he had to shoot the last guy, hence he replayed it and that's why the cut is there, and by mistake he edited in the previous clip twice. It's the exact same play sequence.

No, if you take notice he died, restarted, shot a few and then small cut, loop of the few he shot post death, small cut, then the last shot.

My guess is that something happened when he had to shoot the last guy, hence he replayed it and that's why the cut is there, and by mistake he edited in the previous clip twice. It's the exact same play sequence.

Why does this matter? What is your point?

ImboSlice

Was so hyped for this. Now I'm... still buying it, propably.
The framerate is horrendous, but it really doesn't look like current gen. Getting it for PS4, so I'm hoping it will be alright.

I'm not sure about some of the design choices. The circle menus and the UI in the top left corner are a bit too comicky and... present for my taste.

99% sure this is the 360 version. The xb1/ps4 version look like this

14271120082_e618695212buj0.png

vlcsnap-2014-05-28-22g7jxd.png

vlcsnap-2014-05-28-22fqjzl.png

I'm so fuckin' hype.

I'm pissed at Bethesda though. They gave this game to PDP who will misrepresent what Shinji Mikami games are about as opposed to crap games like Outlast or Amnesia. The advert they did was insulting. They have no idea about what goes into these games.

I thought idtech was inherently 60fps. Is that not the case with The Evil Within?

I thought so too. I haven't watched this footage yet, but I can't imagine Bethesda would advertise anything but their best version, so sending the 360 code to PewDiePie doesn't make much sense.

Jobbs

Banned
game looks great, honestly, I couldn't hang with the commentary. hopefully we'll see some new footage soon without it.

Top Bottom