• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 - Leaked 40 minutes of gameplay

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Mifec

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hopefully there's more real-world sections in this one. The constant shift from crazy-wacky-dreamscape to crazy-wacky-dreamscape from the first one completely broke my sense of progression. I honestly constantly lost the thread of where the game was going.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Gurish

Don't wanna see it in fear of spoilers, can anyone share at what time in the video there are no spoilers? like just the guy running around killing regular enemies for a minute or two, I wanna see the visuals, gunplay and animtaions.

Mifec

I love how seb covers his mouth and nose when he gets to the table filled with rotten food and god knows what.

Dusk Golem

I've watched about 10 minutes and Sebastian talks to himself way too much. It's a problem because he doesn't have anything useful to say. It's just "what the hell?', "where am I?", "what is that thing?"

Hopefully that isn't a thing through the whole game.

I moused around the video just to get a sense of it and not to spoil myself and it's like night and day from the first one visually. More RE4 than the first as well.

Mifec

I've watched about 10 minutes and Sebastian talks to himself way too much. It's a problem because he doesn't have anything useful to say. It's just "what the hell?', "where am I?", "what is that thing?"

I'm fine with it and I'm fine with how much talking he does in general. Already better than TEW1 in that regard.

Gurish

The best slice to watch if you want as little spoilers as possible is from 28:13 to 37:00 in, that's mainly the player exploring the game's hub world, Union. Before that there's a lot of story stuff, and at the very end there's one slight enemy spoiler.

Thanks, will give it a watch.

Is this running on id tech 5 again? Looks much more improved than the 1st one on all technical aspects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Within_2

Might be an improved and modified id tech 5. It does look and feel much much better technically that's for sure, probably because no last gen support as well.

OniBaka

I guess they listened when others complained about him not reacting. I'm with you, hope it's not a lot otherwise he won't have stand out lines.

tesqui

That sounds great in a hilariously bad way. I loved his dumb little remarks in the first game.

Dusk Golem

Mifec

I hope there's a good explanation for why Seb
is being haunted by different forms of Laura. Maybe it's explained in the flashback sequences.

I hope someone makes a good one of those 5 minute plot YouTube videos because I remember fuck all about the first one outside of enemy encounters and some levels.

Gurish

The best slice to watch if you want as little spoilers as possible is from 28:13 to 37:00 in, that's mainly the player exploring the game's hub world, Union. Before that there's a lot of story stuff, and at the very end there's one slight enemy spoiler.

What is the idea of this hub world gameplay? it's just him walking around big empty environment, gathering resources and stealth killing an enemy or two that are scattered around.

I hope that it integrates well and that it won't hurt the pacing of the game, can't say that specific part was too exciting.

Game does look much much better visually than the first, animations are also much improved and at least on PC it seems smooth as well, overall it's actually a great looking game regardless of what engine it is imo.

Mifec

What is the idea of this hub world gameplay? it's just him walking around big empty environment, gathering resources and stealth killing an enemy or two that are scattered around.

I hope that it integrates well and that it won't hurt the pacing of the game, can't say that specific part was too exciting.

Game does look much much better visually than the first, animations are also much improved and at least on PC it seems smooth as well, overall it's actually a great looking game regardless of what engine it is imo.

Resource gathering and discovering sidequest stories.

big_z

The first game was a let down but ill probably play through this if it has some scares.

Do we know if its running on the same engine? the first game ran like absolute shit on pc.

Dusk Golem

Gurish

So to explain a bit, there's some more open segments when the game slows down to let the player collect themselves, right before this there's a series of pretty intense, mind-fuckery stuff going on, but then Sebastian ends up here, and meets a character in a cutscene that gives some sense of where he is.

These segments you can either go directly to the next story point, explore to collect resources, or take part in side quest. The player we watch mostly kind of went for the story objective but at a slow pace and did one optional thing in the area (simply climbing the building and exploring there). We know from previews that there's also hidden gameplay segments and things to find who played the same demo, IE one person found a shard of memory, which as this is The Evil Within isn't just some item you collect but it's own optional gameplay segment you can take part in. Other people talk about some events which happen on the maps in previews.

However, how Mikami and the director describe it as a breather between things, the player can go at their own pace, go through it quickly or take it slowly and explore, there's optional stuff to do and things to uncover. They also mention these sections loosen up in the second half of the game when the story really begins kicking into gear.

Thanks Golem for giving it a better context, that sounds great actually!

Is there a good story recap that you recommend to watch/read for those of us who didn't understand every detail from the often confusing story of the first game?

Harlequin

In what way?

The atmosphere, the look of the (somewhat open) environment, the zombies (or whatever they were - looked like zombies to me, though) the stealthy gameplay, picking up bottles and stuff, I think I even saw a workbench and the protagonist sort of looked a bit Joel-ish, too. Not saying it plays the same or whatever (like I said, I just skipped through it) but it definitely reminded me of TLoU.

Dusk Golem

J3nga

Guy agrees to go into STEM in order to save his daughter, but 10mins later asks "what did I get myself into?" Really writers?

Shredderi

Looks good. Only watched a few mins worth of footage because I don't want to spoil myself too much since this is almost here!

Top Bottom