• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Nemesis_

My copy arrived early in the mail so I've been enjoying it a little bit.

I am about three to six hours in.

Lots of references to other thriller / horror franchises.

Still not sold on Union / the open world design though to be honest. Reminds me of Downpour (ie. "did we really need this")

Will keep playing regardless. The first game took a bit to click with me as well.

A bit worried that the villains won't be as intimidating or as interesting as TEW. Or that what happened at the end of TEW won't be touched upon at all.

But we'll see :)

BaneDrain

Any idea how often the game checkpoints in relation to the first game?

I'm thinking of playing on Nightmare for the added tension and difficulty, and with the first game I had a habit of at times just letting myself get killed and retrying when resource management or a fight went real bad.

I was thinking with this game being more open-world, maybe there would be less frequent auto-saves or checkpoints.

Pro support is really a mistery at this point. Maybe there will be a patch available in the next days.

Did you notice a good IQ, anti-aliasing or something else?
Well.. the game does look clean.. but again I have no idea what can be improved with a Pro support.

Plus.. there is no logo on the back of the game’s box with the Pro logo... so.....

Nemesis_

Any idea how often the game checkpoints in relation to the first game?

I'm thinking of playing on Nightmare for the added tension and difficulty, and with the first game I had a habit of at times just letting myself get killed and retrying when resource management or a fight went real bad.

I was thinking with this game being more open-world, maybe there would be less frequent auto-saves or checkpoints.

I have never lost a great amount of progress and I am dying a lot on Nightmare. That being said it could easily frustrate and turn people off if they were to start on Nightmare without knowing what they're getting.

I think if you can beat TEW1 on any difficulty that Nightmare should be manageable.

kromeo

I have never lost a great amount of progress and I am dying a lot on Nightmare. That being said it could easily frustrate and turn people off if they were to start on Nightmare without knowing what they're getting.

I think if you can beat TEW1 on any difficulty that Nightmare should be manageable.

The difficulty in the first game mostly came from instant death mechanics, but I'd say in terms of how much ammo you get and how much damage you take from enemies it was about right on survival. Not sure how nightmare on 2 compares to that?

Nemesis_

The difficulty in the first game mostly came from instant death mechanics, but I'd say in terms of how much ammo you get and how much damage you take from enemies it was about right on survival. Not sure how nightmare on 2 compares to that?

On Nightmare I am constantly struggling to have enough bullets to put down one enemy. Stealth is just a much easier option. The bow is great too, but once again finding the parts to craft the ammo is beginning to become a bit of a challenge too.

Like I love this kind of shit in games like this but what I mean to say is that it would put so many people off who didn't grow up with Survival Horror games.

I haven't found any instant death mechanics yet but I have been running around Union doing random things so haven't done heaps of the story moments just yet.

The horror is way less.......grotesque? More weird and surreal kind of stuff like Twin Peaks meets The Shining meets Hannibal. I like it, but hope the gross gore and viscera of the first game return too.

Nemesis_

Yeah I found it weird Bethesda are saying Wolfenstein and Dishonored are both gonna be Xbox One X enhanced in some way (both new and old titles in those franchises) but thay Evil Within seems to miss the boat. Welp.

Nick_C

I really hope this game doesn't have a "Chapter 10" in it.

Adding this in for clarification:

I'm speaking mostly about Amalgam Alpha when I talk about chapter 10. Everything that happens after you fall into the parking garage sucks, as far as I'm concerned. I was having a blast until that fight.

SomTervo

The story is so cheezy that I don't know if I should give that game a try. I watched the first hour of gameplay, and I had a constant facepalm. I just can't handle that watered down story bullshit anymore.

image.php

Seriously though, part of the interesting story stuff (seriously) in the first game was that almost everything about Sebastian is a 'fantasy' projection of himself, like he's half-dreaming and walking through the dreamstate in macho-cop-mode.

In the first game's DLC the protagonist was aware it was a dream/nightmare and she was written infinitely better. No cheese, no ham. But everything with Seb/other characters who weren't so aware was cheesy as hell.

It worked well, IMO.

Skulldead

My copy arrived early in the mail so I've been enjoying it a little bit.

I am about three to six hours in.

Lots of references to other thriller / horror franchises.

Still not sold on Union / the open world design though to be honest. Reminds me of Downpour (ie. "did we really need this")

Will keep playing regardless. The first game took a bit to click with me as well.

A bit worried that the villains won't be as intimidating or as interesting as TEW. Or that what happened at the end of TEW won't be touched upon at all.

But we'll see :)

Downpour had a horrible semi open world.... please this can be that bad ?

I really hope this game doesn't have a "Chapter 10" in it.

That was the best chapter of the game though. Most menacing atmosphere, great encounters, and some of the most intense escalation up of action and threat I’ve played in an action game. The chapter is at times literally a meat grinder.

Nick_C

I dug Chapter 10

I'm hoping the game doesn't have a Chapter 11-15 in it

Chapter 10 did have this though

https://youtu.be/mQRxzU9Iojs?list=PLDGA81yNLZhMlo6_L15uUZVoXk8aOOsqX

The part with all the spinning blades was great, up until spider woman and the horrible giant boss appeared

I'm speaking mostly about Amalgam Alpha when I talk about chapter 10. Everything that happens after you fall into the parking garage sucks, as far as I'm concerned. I was having a blast until that fight.

Linkura

The story is so cheezy that I don't know if I should give that game a try. I watched the first hour of gameplay, and I had a constant facepalm. I just can't handle that watered down story bullshit anymore.
This + disastrous voice acting + strong TLOU vibes are very concerning to me.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I loved chapter 10. Felt like a grueling endurance test (in a satisfying way). I was playing blind, and when the boss turned up I was just, like, "oh god really?"

11 and 12 were my least favorite

Linkura

The voice acting as bad as it sounds here is much better than in 1.
I'll be honest, I don't remember a lot of things from the first game. I remember the general gameplay, story, and characters. But that's about it. Haven't played it since its release.

The strength of TEW wasn't the story, it was the atmosphere. This won't be any different.

Re the atmosphere: it looks pretty garbage for the most part from what I've seen of the first six chapters.

Mifec

I'll be honest, I don't remember a lot of things from the first game. I remember the general gameplay, story, and characters. But that's about it. Haven't played it since its release.

Re the atmosphere: it looks pretty garbage for the most part from what I've seen of the first six chapters.

Basically only Ruvik was passable, but that's not saying much.

Perineum

Out of the entire two you mean?

There has been more horror games this generation haven't there? I'm not checking release dates but some that come to mind:

Amnesia
Layers of Fear
The Observer
Resident Evil Revelations 2

Those are just a few other than RE7 and EW. EW takes a fat dump over all those though. Granted RE7 is the second best. It would be stronger than EW if the enemies weren't so whack.

Top Bottom