• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
RE7 is currently on sale and this is also out. Not sure which to get for Halloween. (NOT buying both)

RE7 is currently on sale and this is also out. Not sure which to get for Halloween. (NOT buying both)
RE7 is fantastic, especially as a pure horror experience. It's not as good as an Action game. Depends on if you want a good action game with a horror atmosphere, or if you want a game that is focused on horror first and foremost.

Karak

Is the game really that much like TLOU or is this another situation of 'two or three things that's existed in games forever is in this game, but TLOU invented everything so therefore this game is so much like TLOU?'

Honestly I never once thought of TLOU while playing this. Its a 3rd person game so I can see some folks comparing it.

Brandon F

RE7 is fantastic, especially as a pure horror experience. It's not as good as an Action game. Depends on if you want a good action game with a horror atmosphere, or if you want a game that is focused on horror first and foremost.

Do you like first person or third person?

I'm a a huge fan of classic RE(tank controls and all!), so all the talk of RE7 going back to those roots caught my attention, but I never did buy it.

I really enjoyed the variety of TEW1, even finished it on the highest default difficulty(not Akumu), but was bummed out at all the instant kill encounters and gimmick fights(DLC especially). I basically loved being sneaky and fearful of the enemies in the early chapters, wished for more of that! But the midgame went a bit overboard with setpiece 'puzzle' encounters and arena fights against hordes that I kind of disliked. [I think those that finished TEW1 would understand what I mean]

I don't know if you're into DLC, but there is a RE7 Gold Edition releasing in Dec. It might be better bang for buck?

Hmm...I think right now RE7+Season Pass is $45 on sale(PSN). Not sure if there would be any difference between that content and Gold.

Foxxsoxx

I'm a a huge fan of classic RE(tank controls and all!), so all the talk of RE7 going back to those roots caught my attention, but I never did buy it.

I really enjoyed the variety of TEW1, even finished it on the highest default difficulty, but was bummed out at all the instant kill encounters and gimmick fights(DLC especially). I basically loved being sneaky and fearful of the enemies in the early chapters, wished for more of that!
But the midgame went a bit overboard with setpiece 'puzzle' encounters and arena fights against hordes that I kind of disliked. [I think those that finished TEW1 would understand what I mean]

From what I understand, this is like RE4.

RE7 is a great game too, but it's pretty short, and it's more for atmosphere and the shooting isn't super excellent. The Gold edition comes out in December which will have more stuff added so theres that too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Is the game really that much like TLOU or is this another situation of 'two or three things that's existed in games forever is in this game, but TLOU invented everything so therefore this game is so much like TLOU?'

In the beginning of time, there was CoD, TLOU, Dark Souls and GTA.

DVCY201

Hmm...I think right now RE7+Season Pass is $45 on sale(PSN). Not sure if there would be any difference between that content and Gold.

There should be no difference; Gold Edition is just bundling the existing and future DLC together, so it's the same as the Season Pass.

So go with whichever is cheaper!

Yes, that's what they said. Has this game officially gone live on the PS4 though? Otherwise, there's probably going to be a patch within the next twenty-four hours.

Source? AFAIK the only source is the rumored document that was making the rounds well in advance of the Pro's release.

Resident Evil 7 abandons most horror elements after a few hours and becomes a mindless Revelations 1 style action romp with the least amount of enemy variety in the series. Opening act is grand tho.

Sanctuary

I really enjoyed the variety of TEW1, even finished it on the highest default difficulty(not Akumu), but was bummed out at all the instant kill encounters and gimmick fights(DLC especially). I basically loved being sneaky and fearful of the enemies in the early chapters, wished for more of that! But the midgame went a bit overboard with setpiece 'puzzle' encounters and arena fights against hordes that I kind of disliked. [I think those that finished TEW1 would understand what I mean]

Despite claims to the contrary, TEW was closer to RE than what RE7 was in most ways. RE7 had good atmosphere usually, when it wasn't trying so hard to be "modern" horror, but the actual gameplay and especially enemy variety left a lot to be desired. TEW tried too hard to be every other horror game at once than its own thing, but mechanically felt much closer to RE than RE7. Having zero experience with TEW2 so far, I have no idea how it compares to either of those two games, but I had an "eh, it's okay" reaction to both of them.

Source? AFAIK the only source is the rumored document that was making the rounds well in advance of the Pro's release.

Wish I could actually find it now...

This however actually says the exact same thing as the article that I read (which was an actual interview) said, except now they're not differentiating between the games released prior to the Pro and those after. Intitially they were saying this shit only regarding games released prior, while saying all games going forward are to support Pro features upon release.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/5/15720206/sony-ceo-shawn-layden-interview-ps4-pro

According to Jim Ryan, president and CEO and Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe, the responsibility to support the hardware lies with game developers. That is to say, each developer must spend time and resources to tweak and patch their games to take advantage of the PS4's added power.
"”It's down to the individual developer.""

”It's one of those things where we very much leave it to the content creator to make what they will of the power of the machine," he says. ”I think the proof of the pudding is in the tasting; when you look at something like Horizon Zero Dawn, which is just gorgeous on PS4 Pro, you can see firsthand what the device delivers. Now there are other games where the benefits of Pro are less apparent, and frankly in some cases less necessary. So it's down to the individual developer."

That isn't what they said before.

This FAQ also alters just a few key words just enough too from what was originally stated.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Following PS4 Pro's launch on November 10 in North America, virtually all new PS4 game releases moving forward will be able to take advantage of PS4 Pro capabilities on day one, or in some cases shortly after launch via a downloadable update. Some titles previously released will be updated to take advantage of PS4 Pro features, including Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Last of Us Remastered, Infamous Second Son First Light, Shadow of Mordor, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and more.

Q: Will all PS4 games be compatible with PS4 Pro?
Yes, all existing PS4 games are fully compatible with PS4 Pro. Developers are able to add PS4 Pro enhancements to previously released PS4 games via a downloadable update if they choose to.

The underlined part is new. Before it was a requirement, now it's an option.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It runs great on my OG PS4. Loading times isn't bad either(was expecting it longer for some reason)
I own Pro and pro support would be nice but I really loved TEW1 and I just can't skip this game just because no pro support. If it had bad performance and without pro support then that would different story.

Brandon F

Despite claims to the contrary, TEW was closer to RE than what RE7 was in most ways. RE7 had good atmosphere usually, when it wasn't trying so hard to be "modern" horror, but the actual gameplay and especially enemy variety left a lot to be desired. TEW tried too hard to be every other horror game at once than its own thing, but mechanically felt much closer to RE than RE7. Having zero experience with TEW2 so far, I have no idea how it compares to either of those two games, but I had an "eh, it's okay" reaction to both of them.

Yea, I kind of expected the routine hype fervor put RE7 on a somewhat inflated pedestal, which is partly why I held off on buying immediately.

I'll likely go for that anyway for now anyway, even likely coming to similar conclusions you and others posted above regarding its faults. DLC worth buying alongside it with the pass?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
While I enjoyed REVII and gave it an 8/10 for me personally, the game declines as you progress and the last third of the game was a complete disappointment. Funny thing is that RE4 (the island), TEW1 and REVII all have the same problem for me - the last third of the game just falls off and disappoints. Also not a fan of it being in first person and it hurts the combat and fighting the camera is way more aggravating than in third person.

As for TEW2, im picking up my copy tomorrow and very much looking forward to it. I gave the original TEW an 8.5/10 and easily prefer it over RE7 and I see the sequel at the very least matching it but more likely, hitting my 9/10 mark.

I would say wait for the RE7 gold edition while giving TEW2 six weeks before deciding. If you have to decide now, I personally would go with TEW2 simply because the game is said to get better as it progresses and im simply way more into this franchise than I am RE at this point. TEW2 is closer to what RE used to be.

Of course, this is just my own personal opinion and could always change once I play TEW2 but I am more hyped for this now than I was RE7 at launch. No PS4 Pro support is disappointing but if the game seems to stay at a consistent locked 30fps during gameplay so I'll easily take the performance over the visuals.

DeaDPo0L84

Oh damn sorry if it is but I checked another video and what's happening to me didn't happen to this other person so it may be a glitched.

It's all good man, doesn't bother me too much but some were upset at even learning how many chapters there were so best to just be safe.

kunonabi

Resident Evil 7 abandons most horror elements after a few hours and becomes a mindless Revelations 1 style action romp with the least amount of enemy variety in the series. Opening act is grand tho.

Eh, i didnt find the opening all that great either. RE7 just pays the faintest of lip service to the older games and just bungles using the new perspective to any worthwhile effect.

2 hours in and I'm liking it so far. Just slowly clearing out Union, expanding the area I feel safe in. It's much less of a rollercoaster than the first game, and I prefer it that way.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Starting Ch. 6 now. Two things so far i dislike
The overall atmosphere is a downgrade from the first TEW so far. The game is just too "clean", partially because of the open world area. The enemies also got downgraded, they now look like the Phase 1 infected from TLOU.
The forced first person stealth sections. Why change the prespective if the game controls the exact same way?

Sanctuary

Do I need to play the first to understand this one?

Probably not other than knowing any potential character references.

hmm. No not really. That one scene with the first op it seemed off. But after that it was fine. I did have a stutter or two in the very last cutscene of the game.

What difficulty did you play on? Having read the descriptions, I'm still not entirely sure on which I want to start on. I found the normal difficulty of the first game to be generally forgiving aside from a few boss fights, and especially the Chapter 6 "boss" fight
when you're in the top floor of the burning building where all of the zombies start pouring through the windows that ends up in the basement
. Not sure if Survivor is too easy in comparison, and Nightmare annoying due to ammo scarcity, or if it feels closer to the pre RE4 ammo levels.

Pro support would have been nice but it’s absense isn’t enough to ruin the game for me. Debating on picking this up tonight or tomorrow - decisions, decisions...

Karak

Probably not other than knowing any potential character references.

What difficulty did you play on? Having read the descriptions, I'm still not entirely sure on which I want to start on. I found the normal difficulty of the first game to be generally forgiving aside from a few boss fights, and especially the Chapter 6 "boss" fight
when you're in the top floor of the burning building where all of the zombies start pouring through the windows that ends up in the basement
. Not sure if Survivor is too easy in comparison, and Nightmare annoying due to ammo scarcity, or if it feels closer to the pre RE4 ammo levels.

Survivor. Due to the open world nature and how things are collected and how you go about side missions. Just make sure to get the auto bottle break skill and the corner stealth kill. Nightmare should be fine for you with those.

Alxjn

Survivor. Due to the open world nature and how things are collected and how you go about side missions. Just make sure to get the auto bottle break skill and the corner stealth kill. Nightmare should be fine for you with those.

Would you say it’s doable to play Survivor without leaning too much into the stealth side of things?

Karak

Would you say it’s doable to play Survivor without leaning too much into the stealth side of things?

If you planned on that I would say do every side mission, and practice in the shooting range as much as you can.

KSweeley

Question: What bonus DLC is Amazon offering for The Evil Within 2? I got two emails from Amazon, one stating The Evil Within 2 has shipped and I'm supposed to get it tomorrow, and a second one stating:

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for purchasing "The Evil Within 2".

Use the code above to unlock your bonus DLC.

FiveSide

Banned
I love the first game to bits but man I hate the way TEW2 starts and I hope it gets better

Huh, complete opposite of the first game, that one started off strong and tapered off as it went on.

Picking this up at BB on my way home tomorrow. Pretty excited, really hoping for a more polished effort. Many of the biggest problems with the first game were easily fixable.

Are there many points where stealth isn't an option? I'm putting all of my gel into it so far, to the point where
Tabitha
said "You can't avoid fighting forever, you should really consider upgrading your combat skills..." which seemed like a developer hint to me.

Traxtech

Anyone else notice the extremely high input lag on ps4? My tv is 21ms in game mode and it's verrrrry noticeable

Story wise, is it recommended to play the first game before playing this one?

From the OP:
F,A,Q,

Do I need to play The Evil Within 1 to understand the sequel?

-No. While it will give you a better grasp or understanding of the terms, characters, or ideas, the sequel can be played on its own. Bethesda has a recap I've included in the links below.

Starting Ch. 6 now. Two things so far i dislike
The overall atmosphere is a downgrade from the first TEW so far. The game is just too "clean", partially because of the open world area. The enemies also got downgraded, they now look like the Phase 1 infected from TLOU.
The forced first person stealth sections. Why change the prespective if the game controls the exact same way?

The first complaint is what I fear the most : (

Even the UI in general feels more colorful and happy, feels way too ''comic style zombie game'' to me

It really suck to be so sensitive to art and atmosphere, what looks ''meh'' to people looks like a burning dog shit to me.

Top Bottom